Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else still waiting for that "something special" before they buy in?

Comments

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by drakaena

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. 

I definitely agree with this part.  I think Most of us GW1 players have much more tempered expectations when it comes to what Anet shows us in a "Month"-Early preview of a patch, and then what actually gets delivered 6 weeks later...

I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. 

This however is actually quite wrong.   GW1 was the CORPG.   GW2 is 100% a persistant world in all of the areas that aren't devoted to either "personal storyline",  the 5-man Raids, or quite literally the Structured PvP lobbies & tourneys.  Everything else where PvE'ers and farmers alike will spend ALL of their time is in the persistant World-server realm.  And it's actually MORE MMO'ry than any other MMORPG on the market is because of the dynamic event system.  The events are more dyanamic than Rift even because they actually chain together and happen from causes and effects of exploration.  They all don't just randomly appear based on a Timer schedule.  No it's the "local inabitants", be it mobs or NPCs that decide how an area changes and the area could take days to change back or it might never change back if no one steps in to change it.   ....in that comparison, the other MMO's people are used to are actually a lot more static than GW2 is.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. 

just because a mmorpg has zones does not make it a lobby game

Everquest and Everquest2 have zones and are certainly not lobby games

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Wow someone is a pathological...ahh forget it.

Any way GW 2 is an MMORPG with an persistent world. lol

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Originally posted by iller

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. 

I definitely agree with this part.  I think Most of us GW1 players have much more tempered expectations when it comes to what Anet shows us in a "Month"-Early preview of a patch, and then what actually gets delivered 6 weeks later...

I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. 

This however is actually quite wrong.   GW1 was the CORPG.   GW2 is 100% a persistant world in all of the areas that aren't devoted to either "personal storyline",  the 5-man Raids, or quite literally the Structured PvP lobbies & tourneys.  Everything else where PvE'ers and farmers alike will spend ALL of their time is in the persistant World-server realm.  And it's actually MORE MMO'ry than any other MMORPG on the market is because of the dynamic event system.  The events are more dyanamic than Rift even because they actually chain together and happen from causes and effects of exploration.  They all don't just randomly appear based on a Timer schedule.  No it's the "local inabitants", be it mobs or NPCs that decide how an area changes and the area could take days to change back or it might never change back if no one steps in to change it.   ....in that comparison, the other MMO's people are used to are actually a lot more static than GW2 is.

Ok. Lobby game was a poor choice of words. In and of itself it isn't a lobby game. I concede. However, I imagine a month or two post release, most players will all be huddled in cities, queuing for whatever their hearts desire, not occupying the persistent world. 

It will be a lobby game in the same sense WoW has become a lobby game. And of course this is just my opinion.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

It will be a lobby game in the same sense WoW has become a lobby game. And of course this is just my opinion.

i see your point - i guess time will tell

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Ok. Lobby game was a poor choice of words. In and of itself it isn't a lobby game. I concede. However, I imagine a month or two post release, most players will all be huddled in cities, queuing for whatever their hearts desire, not occupying the persistent world. 

There is nothing to queue for except WvW and that is only if it's full.

Porting to the competitive PvP or the Mists is instant and there are no raids.

Do the dungeons/explore mode dungeons have a LFG system with a queue? I don't think so because there is no trinity so it doesn't really matter what mix of professions you bring... no waiting on healers/tanks.

All the "end-game" PvE is going to be out in the world, open and public, with elite events and meta-events.

Why would everyone be Queueing for these dungeons when all they give is armor-skin Karma?  Once you get that set, there's no reason to run that dungeon again.  WvWvW and Dynamic events is the place where players will be getting the majority of their Resource drops & random "Rare" item skins/recipes.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Do the dungeons/explore mode dungeons have a LFG system with a queue? I don't think so because there is no trinity so it doesn't really matter what mix of professions you bring... no waiting on healers/tanks.

All the "end-game" PvE is going to be out in the world, open and public, with elite events and meta-events.

You kind of just made my point. You can camp your toon wherever and insta port to whatever you feel like doing. Then when you're done you insta port on to the next. That just doesn't feel like a living breathing world to me. All I'm saying. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Why would everyone be Queueing for these dungeons when all they give is armor-skin Karma?  Once you get that set, there's no reason to run that dungeon again.  WvWvW and Dynamic events is the place where players will be getting the majority of their Resource drops & random "Rare" item skins/recipes.

You don't queue for them anyhow... grab four more and go. But there are reasons to go back... for one each run may be different due to dynamic events in the dungeons. You may want to help other people not familiar with it. You may simply enjoy a particular dungeon and want to do it. You may be working towards long term achievements that you'd like to accomplish.

There are reasons.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You kind of just made my point. You can camp your toon wherever and insta port to whatever you feel like doing. Then when you're done you insta port on to the next. That just doesn't feel like a living breathing world to me. All I'm saying. 

Neither does flying over it on the back of a gryphon. Travelling to the living, breathing world is not the same as what you'll be experiencing when you get there.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by Volkon

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. Where I think GW2 will succeed is that they offer many different gameplay styles that are easily accessible. DE's, Dungeon Crawls (with various difficulty settings), E-Sport PvP, and owPvP. All these features seem well done, but none in and of themselves are revolutionary. GW2 is a jack of many trades but master of none. It looks like a lot of fun though, and that's all that matters. 

Lobby game?! The only lobby aspect is for competitive PvP, that's it. The persistent world is fully MMO, even WvW is MMO in it's persistence.

Lobby game. HA! You silly.

But you can access all of these features instantly from your interface. It's not really an open world at all. It's extremely instanced. 

If you want it to be it probably is instanced. Try not fast traveling, it's all on how you want to play the game. 

I suppose... but it's obviously designed with the intent to use fast travel. Why try to force the game into becoming something it's clearly not. And even if you went that route, each zone is still instanced from the others, so you aren't in an open world regardless. Maybe an open zone, if that's how you choose to see it.

I'm not bashing the game. I'm excited to preorder just like I'm sure most of you are. I'm just realistic in my expectations about what I'll be getting. 

I agree with you about not bashing!  My immediate expectations are going to be of having fun and not picking the thing to pieces before I try it. A couple weeks ago I was angry about the cash shop, gear, etc. I'm over that and accept it because I learned thet this is just a different sort of game than I'm use to.  Now I'm just excited to get the damn thing to play it! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

You didn't mention in your previous posts that you were psychic.   ...I mean that's what you're saying right?

Because if you're not, how are you going to KNOW where to go?  You aren't going to get any kind of indicator that an Event's "Climax" event (IE: the most rewarding Mega-Monster fight) is happening unless you're actually in proximity to its location in the Zone.  The Trade Hub cities don't qualify for that usually and chances are good that if one DID happen near that bigger city, the hapless Funngoes who Zerged in for it could cause it to FAIL b/c they'll make the difficulty scale so high that it's impossible for their uncoordinated Nub-Pub.

• Ethan623Ethan623 Member Posts: 53

I'm buying it as i currently have very little else to play of intrest. Maybe i'm growing out of games but most releases just seem meh. I'm hoping Guildwars 2 brings back the excitement i once had for this genre. The benefit of this is i can drop in and out as i wish for me thats the special feature i want.

I've read almost every article and viewed as many videos as i could find. I've played many mmo's that weren't worth the money nor time they required. Atleast this is a high quality (from what i can see) release with no monthly fee's.

For those that do not wish to invest in the game without seeing reviews after launch its a wise disicion considering the problems/let downs so mmos have. I just lack your patience.

Edit: I have no intrest in the arugments about what is better etc. Nor have i read through the 19 pages of blah. i'm simply replying to the original question.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Kaneth

I find that the longer this process is taking, the less enthused about the game I am. At this point I am still debating a pre-purchase, although I am leaning towards pre-purchasing. If I could get about 80 hours of enjoyment out of games like Global Agenda, I will probably easily hit the 100 hour mark in GW2, so it's worth a purchase to me. If I am going to purchase, I may as well pre-purchase and get the headstart to help alleviate some of my own frustrations with overcrowded areas.

All things considered, GW2 has enough different about to at least make it not a WoW clone. That alone is damn near worth the price of entry.

100 hrs? There were people logging 30 hours plus in the beta weekends alone and barely scratching the surface. In purely my opinion, 100 hours sounds a little pessimistic. :)

HAHA, yeah 100 hours is an underestimation for me. I have over 100 hours in Skyrim, and that's not playing for 2 months due to a computer crash. I won't go into how many days I have in WoW. Not to mention the hundreds of hours in the FPS games I play online.

I know I'll wind up pre-ordering the day it's available, just because I know I'll get at the very least 100 hours out of the game.

You didn't mention in your previous posts that you were psychic.   ...I mean that's what you're saying right?

Because if you're not, how are you going to KNOW where to go?  You aren't going to get any kind of indicator that an Event's "Climax" event (IE: the most rewarding Mega-Monster fight) is happening unless you're actually in proximity to its location in the Zone.  The Trade Hub cities don't qualify for that usually and chances are good that if one DID happen near that bigger city, the hapless Funngoes who Zerged in for it could cause it to FAIL b/c they'll make the difficulty scale so high that it's impossible for their uncoordinated Nub-Pub.

Global Chat?

It's really simple and I can't believe people are missing the point. What have MMO'ers griped about for years... FLYING MOUNTS! Why? Because they destroy open world immersion. Well... having the ability to literally port everywhere from anywhere is 100x worse when it comes to open world. 

Using your example. Some event is happening in the open world. I would read about it from other players in chat. Zip-zap I'm there. Why would anyone ever be in the open world other than to level? Honestly... Look at other games that implement fast travel. Do they have a thriving world? Or do people camp major hubs and use chat to group up... it's not rocket science. 

People will camp cities, using their chat to keep tabs on the ongoings of the world, and when something of interest comes up, BAM! they are there. When it's done... BAM! they are gone. No traversing the open world. 

100 hrs? There were people logging 30 hours plus in the beta weekends alone and barely scratching the surface. In purely my opinion, 100 hours sounds a little pessimistic. :)

HAHA, yeah 100 hours is an underestimation for me. I have over 100 hours in Skyrim, and that's not playing for 2 months due to a computer crash. I won't go into how many days I have in WoW. Not to mention the hundreds of hours in the FPS games I play online.

I know I'll wind up pre-ordering the day it's available, just because I know I'll get at the very least 100 hours out of the game.

I have heard from multiple articles/videos of people playing for 4-5hours or more and only having the map tell them they've completed 1% of the PvE content in the game.

(The map tracks how many skill challenges, dynamic events, and heart quests you have done per zone and over all)

So do the math on that.... 400-500 hours just for the PvE portion of the game.

And oh that doesn't include personal story.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

My Something Special : As soon as Arenanet is using servers which will not contribute to global warming, I will buy it. Or do I have too high hopes for this game?

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. Where I think GW2 will succeed is that they offer many different gameplay styles that are easily accessible. DE's, Dungeon Crawls (with various difficulty settings), E-Sport PvP, and owPvP. All these features seem well done, but none in and of themselves are revolutionary. GW2 is a jack of many trades but master of none. It looks like a lot of fun though, and that's all that matters. 

Lobby game?! The only lobby aspect is for competitive PvP, that's it. The persistent world is fully MMO, even WvW is MMO in it's persistence.

Lobby game. HA! You silly.

But you can access all of these features instantly from your interface. It's not really an open world at all. It's extremely instanced. 

This is like saying Skyrim is instanced.  You can fast travel to everywhere from the map in Skyrim too.  But calling that an heavily instanced would get plenty of people pointing and laughing at you with cruel forceful vigor.

PS:  I know Skyrim has plenty of caves and towns, but the majority of it is open world, i'm sure everybody can agree.

I have heard from multiple articles/videos of people playing for 4-5hours or more and only having the map tell them they've completed 1% of the PvE content in the game.

(The map tracks how many skill challenges, dynamic events, and heart quests you have done per zone and over all)

So do the math on that.... 400-500 hours just for the PvE portion of the game.

And oh that doesn't include personal story.

Keep in mind that's when it's new to everyone and nobody really has an idea what they are doing or where they are going. I give it a week before guides hit the net. 

It's going to be an awesome game which provides a ton of fun. I'm excited. But it's not so different than the norm. How many hours of questing would you say wow or rift offer? Would you consider that a selling point of the games?

Keep in mind that's when it's new to everyone and nobody really has an idea what they are doing or where they are going. I give it a week before guides hit the net. 

It's going to be an awesome game which provides a ton of fun. I'm excited. But it's not so different than the norm. How many hours of questing would you say wow or rift offer? Would you consider that a selling point of the games?

Yeah I would.

People are always concerned with leveling speed and such.

Content is always a big concern, people like to know how much they have to do in the game before they run out of 'new stuff' and start the grind, becuase all MMOs have "the grind" in some form or another.

Yeah I would.

Content is always a big concern, people like to know how much they have to do in the game before they run out of 'new stuff' and start the grind, becuase all MMOs have "the grind" in some form or another.

Well GW2 does seem to cater to many different play styles. Which is a huge selling point of the game. And my original point in this thread.

Yeah I would.

Well GW2 does seem to cater to many different play styles. Which is a huge selling point of the game. And my original point in this thread.

And I'd agree with you 100% on that!

Because, after all, most would not consider anything they are doing "a grind" if they are having FUN doing it, even if it's some sort of repetitive activity.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I can't see why people would be queing and miss out on the hundreds of dynamic events going on.  It sure would be an ineffective way to gain XP.  There are the hearts and the Karma events that bring you outside. Not to mention the above ground puzzle and creature dungeons that were talked about this week.  

I guess if your only interests are WvW or the Dungeons, yeah you're just queing up all day. But why play Guild Wars for that.  There's no Raid content. That type of style would be better suited for a game that includes that. 

Yeah I would.

Because, after all, most would not consider anything they are doing "a grind" if they are having FUN doing it, even if it's some sort of repetitive activity.

True. I'm actually excited to get out in the world and explore. I'm just not sure that it will hold me there once I've unlocked all my skills and waypoints. Hopefully I'm wrong. Not like I've played the game or anything so I'm just assuming. What do I know, lol.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Yeah I would.

I agree with this, I played a friends beta account for TERA a few weekends ago, and I got to level 11, and he asked me how it was.  I immediatly said. "it's pretty fun combat, but it's just a grind" he goes, "there isn't any grinding in it what are you talking about?"

It's a matter of opinion, I hate static, boring kill 10 of these, collect 10 of these quest hubs.  It's just a grind to me.  It's not fun competing for mobs with everybody in the area, and it's not fun killing 10 of something before i move on to killing 10 of something else, especially when the tactics to kill them don't differ in the least.