Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the argument against the real life auction house again?

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

I dont understand the hate for it, no you cant become rich and quit your day job for it, but it can help you pay a bill or two, buy groceries etc, point is its a nice incentive to allow plays to get cash while playing something fun as hell, and no its not a pay 2 win scheme and different from diablo 2 because people were doing this in diablo 2, just with ebay, diablojsp etc, this is just an official, secure and safe way to do it. And its not really a pay 2 win because what are the chances you are going to see multiple grandfathers and windforces for cheap, those weapons will probably sell for hundreds, if not thousands, which is not farfetched as some gamers will do crazy things for items.

I see nothing wrong with it, its just a more secure and safe way to buy and sell real life money thats been going on in almost every online game today.

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by nomatics856

I dont understand the hate for it, no you cant become rich and quit your day job for it, but it can help you pay a bill or two, buy groceries etc, point is its a nice incentive to allow plays to get cash while playing something fun as hell, and no its not a pay 2 win scheme and different from diablo 2 because people were doing this in diablo 2, just with ebay, diablojsp etc, this is just an official, secure and safe way to do it. And its not really a pay 2 win because what are the chances you are going to see multiple grandfathers and windforces for cheap, those weapons will probably sell for hundreds, if not thousands, which is not farfetched as some gamers will do crazy things for items.

I see nothing wrong with it, its just a more secure and safe way to buy and sell real life money thats been going on in almost every online game today.

Maybe I am a purist, I just want to play games without the taint of RL buying power coming into the equation.
  • BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Someday our avater is going to stroll up to an in-game Auction House, key it, and ebay will pop up. You will be able to bid on a nice sword and a 1975 Harley. Reality is starting to mirror fiction I think.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

I don't know if anyone saw Black Mirror on Channel4 in the UK but this is another step towards that world.
  • nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Originally posted by RefMinor

I don't know if anyone saw Black Mirror on Channel4 in the UK but this is another step towards that world.

Yea not really no.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I can play the game without the AH just like I could in Diablo 2. Its a optional feature that people can take advantage if they want. I have no issues with it.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

It would be nice if they were to let players that do sell items and make a bit of money use that money to pay for a WoW sub or something like that.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

There will be farmers with multiple bots running 24/7 that sell items on the RMAH. I dont think they can stop that. And doubt they want to stop it. More items sold = more profit for Blizzard.

It makes a difference if something is legal or not. More players(both sellers and buyers) will do it when its legal. Because a lot of players that dont want to buy from some illegal hacker-site will do it when its legal and offered by Blizzard. So it will get worse and much more common and accepted. So you could say it means Blizzard decided to give up trying to stop them and to join them instead. Its like if the police decided to stop trying to prevent some crimes and started to commit them themselves and do it better than the criminals. I guess some will recognize there is a moral problem. We would not accept this if it was other real life crimes. Because if criminals are doing bad things its terrible. But I know that the rules or the law and the authoritys are on my side. That they recognize it is wrong... When the state or the police or some authority we want to trust is doing it its much much worse. In that case the whole system or the law itself would be corrupted. If you are really hardcore no compromise anti real money trading this is the way it appears.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Hurvart

There will be farmers with multiple bots running 24/7 that sell items on the RMAH. I dont think they can stop that. And doubt they want to stop it. More items sold = more profit for Blizzard.

It makes a difference if something is legal or not. More players(both sellers and buyers) will do it when its legal. Because a lot of players that dont want to buy from some illegal hacker-site will do it when its legal and offered by Blizzard. So it will get worse and much more common and accepted. So you could say it means Blizzard decided to give up trying to stop them and to join them instead. Its like if the police decided to stop trying to prevent some crimes and started to commit them themselves and do it better than the criminals. I guess some will recognize there is a moral problem. We would not accept this if it was other real life crimes. Because if criminals are doing bad things its terrible. But I know that the rules or the law and the authoritys are on my side. That they recognize it is wrong... When the state or the police or some authority we want to trust is doing it its much much worse. In that case the whole system or the law itself would be corrupted. If you are really hardcore no compromise anti real money trading this is the way it appears.

Haha, alright...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Rather it's like the criminals will be allowed to commit the crimes so long as the police get their cut of the loot.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Maybe I am a purist, I just want to play games without the taint of RL buying power coming into the equation.

You and I seem to be a dying breed unfortunately.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Rather it's like the criminals will be allowed to commit the crimes so long as the police get their cut of the loot.

Yes. But the loot will also be sold at the police station.

Yes. But the loot will also be sold at the police station.

Whilst the mayor wallows in a bath of notes nearby
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Pay to win... It ruins the integrity of the game.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Anyone who wants to play the game without the RMT AH, but would like to trade with others for gear, are going to be screwed since the in-game AH they are expected to use will likely be filled with little more than trash.  Anything really rare and hard to get is going up for sale for real money because people are going to want to make a buck when they can.  The whole in-game AH is just marketing spin to make people believe that players will have an alternative.  I simply don't believe this will turn out to be the case.  And yeah, you can just farm for your own drops, but good luck with that.  Judging from the previous games, the only way to fill out a set before it becomes totally obsolete is by trading for it.  For some items, you have as good a chance as winning the lottery. 

Beyond that, it does nothing to stop asian farmers (as it was supposedly designed to do) because now they have a legitimate method of selling whatever their warehouse full of farming accounts manages to churn out.  They'll still be just as active, but now they have access to a much wider market, which is, those folks who are otherwise not stupid enough to deal with them and risk their finances and identities through a third party transaction.  Now they can do it all within the game.  And of course, Blizzard is there to collect their tax on all transactions.  Blizzard didn't fight the farmers, they partnered with them.

That's why I think it's a bad idea.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

The problem is that, instead of continuing to combat gold/item farming and selling companies, Blizzard is basically throwing in the towel and saying, "Well we can't beat them, so let's try to make a cut of it ourselves!" That's all it is, getting a cut of the farming industry. It's sheer greed, nothing more. 

Anyone who thinks the average player is going to make jack shit out of it is simply delusional. The farming industry will completely and utterly dominate the RMAH, and Blizzard will sit back and smile as the cash comes in, no longer even caring that they're enabling & funding an industry which they purport to hate. So long as they now 'get their cut', they don't care where the rest of the money goes.

The use of Paypal, one of the worst banking institutions ever created, is also laughable at best. Even if, against all odds, someone manages to make a decent amount of cash, they'll be lucky if their accounts aren't frozen for 'suspicious activity' for 6 months (without interest) so Paypal can rake in the cash by loaning it out and not having to pay interest. The practices of that company are just sickening.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

It is because it is a violation of some of the countries laws they want to release the game in.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

I can play the game without the AH just like I could in Diablo 2. Its a optional feature that people can take advantage if they want. I have no issues with it.

This. I also plan to play it single player without ever talking to or seeing another soul in-game.

And as soon as someone breaks that pesky always on-line DRM scheme........................................

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

OK lets ignore the fact that Blizzard takes the illegal RMT business and allows it in there newest game just because they get a cut now and lets also ignore the fact that they lie and try to make it sound like they do it for us players.

But you said it could help you pay a bill or two or buy groceries etc now i wonder when does the Government start seeing that as income and want to tax it?

Do you really want to open a door for the government to tax us for playing a game and getting ingame items?

Because one thing is for sure once they do see a chance to get more money from us they will use it and they will not stop at the obvious things like taxing money you make with the AH after all even the ingame gold will have a real money value so taxing that as well could happen.

So i ask again do you really want to open a door for that kind of stuff? Only because Blizzard wants to get a cut from the RMT instead of fighting it?

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I think the RMT system is great in D3 since D2 was cursed with RMT that was only possible for those who went against the rules and used online d2 item shops provided by 3rd party. In D3 you can find rare items that you have no use of and sell them to other players. With the earned cash you can then withdraw it from your account and spend on something IRL or keep the money in the game and buy items for you precious toons.

Sure it's P2W in a sense but Diablo series have never been that competitive as the game is based on playing solo/small lobby games. The shear excitement comes from finding something great and instead of stashing it, you have the option to sell it for a meaningful currency. If D3 was heavily relying on PvP a system like this would be obnoxius but since the PvP is just a side dish in D3 and they aren't aiming for eSportslike balance I don't see the harm in it.

I find this kind of a system a lot more player friendly than the usual cash shop system. I.E Having buyable experience/loot/speed boosts break the game design and make it feel a lot more unbalanced. The RMT doesn't force anyone to spend extra money on the game, it's completely optional(Free weekly auctions). Also since the goal of diablo games have always been to get the best gear possible for your toons, buying the set with 100$ from RMT destroys the whole point of the game. Last but not least another important thing is that the game is not designed around using the RMT unlike cash shop games that are badly designed to force people into using the CS system.

For me this system is more of a blessing than a curse. Actually getting money out of an item I can't use or none of my guildies can use. Anyone who has played D2 knows how annoying it is to have a great piece of gear on your hands and no-one to give it to and can't bother to find a fair trade for it from the numerous trade channels.

People fail to realize that keeping the servers up costs money and the small charge they take for each auction actually helps them pay for keeping the servers up and performing the transactions required for such system.  Those who have played D2 know that the servers were kept up free of charge for years and those servers are still up. Personally I think it's only acceptable that they get something back over the course of years instead of just costing them year after year.

IMHO it's not just plain greed. It's an innovative and brilliant idea that I'm excited to try out.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

It is clearly NOT pay to win...

I love how people will sku definitions just to spin a topic in favor of their own opinion.

Pay to win is when the company themselves generates advantages through their own cash shop...

Items such as XP boosters, weapon boosters or just plain items of power are examples of pay to win items.

A RM auction house is player generated, meaning that someone has to find the item first... they are all in game for everyone to find and aquire, some people invest enormous amounts of time to get the item... some may find the item the first kill and just be really lucky... Some people may already have something better and choose to sell it.

Stop being such broke bitches, hell if you are reading these forums there is a chance that you are more of a dedicated player than 90% of the people who purchase the game and you will more than likely be one of the people putting in the time with opportunity to profit from the sale of an item.

If your fear is that the bots and farmers will "ruin" the game well they will be their own worst enemy, if they flood the market with items they lose value, you may be able to get a hard to find item relatively cheap, or you can always undercut them to bring the market down... eventually if it is not profitable for them (after buying the box, paying fees, and having to take the cash instantly upon sale) they will just go find some other game to invade.

If you feel that Blizzard is giving up and throwing their hands up in the air setting a bad precedent then take a look at the "war on drugs" the gaming industry doesn't stand a chance against the farmers out there because they have bigger guns and more manpower than the industry wants to invest to fight it.

You can gripe about this and say "the sky is falling" and "doom and gloom" are upon the industry but lets face it times they are a changing.  I hope and pray every game company follows this trend, REALLY, for the simple reason is I can play a game and maybe put a little extra scratch in my pocket...

Stop crying, deal with it, it isn't going to change. Man up will ya....

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Wighty

It is clearly NOT pay to win...

I love how people will sku definitions just to spin a topic in favor of their own opinion.

Pay to win is when the company themselves generates advantages through their own cash shop...
    Items such as XP boosters, weapon boosters or just plain items of power are examples of pay to win items.

A RM auction house is player generated, meaning that someone has to find the item first... they are all in game for everyone to find and aquire, some people invest enormous amounts of time to get the item... some may find the item the first kill and just be really lucky... Some people may already have something better and choose to sell it.

Stop being such broke bitches, hell if you are reading these forums there is a chance that you are more of a dedicated player than 90% of the people who purchase the game and you will more than likely be one of the people putting in the time with opportunity to profit from the sale of an item.

If your fear is that the bots and farmers will "ruin" the game well they will be their own worst enemy, if they flood the market with items they lose value, you may be able to get a hard to find item relatively cheap, or you can always undercut them to bring the market down... eventually if it is not profitable for them (after buying the box, paying fees, and having to take the cash instantly upon sale) they will just go find some other game to invade.

If you feel that Blizzard is giving up and throwing their hands up in the air setting a bad precedent then take a look at the "war on drugs" the gaming industry doesn't stand a chance against the farmers out there because they have bigger guns and more manpower than the industry wants to invest to fight it.

You can gripe about this and say "the sky is falling" and "doom and gloom" are upon the industry but lets face it times they are a changing.  I hope and pray every game company follows this trend, REALLY, for the simple reason is I can play a game and maybe put a little extra scratch in my pocket...

Stop crying, deal with it, it isn't going to change. Man up will ya....

Doesn't matter who you pay, company or other players, if the cost is RL cash then it's pay to win. I won't stop crying about it, I won't deal with it, if enough people grow spines it may change, it's more manly to be able to deal with dissenting voices than plead for them to stop.
  • bfpiercelkbfpiercelk Member UncommonPosts: 47

William J. Bennett is that you?

I also have trouble seeing anything massively "wrong" with this. I think Blizzard is fully realizing that they can't prevent the black market, so the only option they have is to legitimize it and at least profit and try to control it.

Sure there'll be people who claim it's pay 2 win, but that's like saying WoW is Pay 2 Win because you can buy gold from a farmer and get rare items off the auction house with that money.

Or are we actually splitting hairs here and deciding that if it's legitmized by the company it's "pay 2 win" and if there's a black market the game is occupying some moral high ground?

Originally posted by bfpiercelk

William J. Bennett is that you?

I also have trouble seeing anything massively "wrong" with this. I think Blizzard is fully realizing that they can't prevent the black market, so the only option they have is to legitimize it and at least profit and try to control it.

Sure there'll be people who claim it's pay 2 win, but that's like saying WoW is Pay 2 Win because you can buy gold from a farmer and get rare items off the auction house with that money.

Or are we actually splitting hairs here and deciding that if it's legitmized by the company it's "pay 2 win" and if there's a black market the game is occupying some moral high ground?

Yes, the game is occupying the moral high ground and the farmer and the fool buying gold are occupying the moral swamp
  • bfpiercelkbfpiercelk Member UncommonPosts: 47

Ahh gotcha, well at least now I know it's not an argument worth having.

People who bring morality into their video games, lol.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

The RMAH is Blizzard trying to get their share of the profit from gold selling.

With the implementation of the RMAH people can farm items to vendor for gold and then they can sell that gold in the RMAH for real cash which can be withdrawn, all the while Blizzard charges an amount for ever real-money transaction that happens, whether or not the offer that was put up is taken.