Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to spend 1000+ hours in game the first year

13»

Comments

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by jondifool

Originally posted by TheTrueKing

Originally posted by vesuvias

Originally posted by TheTrueKing

I can easily see myself spending my 10-15 hours a day in a variety of different ways.  This game will make being a full time gamer easy!!!   You calculated 1k hours in a year.  My core guild members will do 1k hours of game play easy within 3 months.

My greatest fear for mankind is that you are actually not engaging in hyperbole with those numbers. Not to be a total Buzz-kill but please don't waste your life in persuit of virtual loot. With that amount of free time and focus could get you Degree if you took online courses. 

yep i have fond memories of the GW1 message telling me to please take a break when i had been playing a couple of hours. the point of necroing my old thread was to get an impression if some peoples numbers had changed alot. But i don't see any point arguing why a no-subscribtion game should help players to NOT have a life- the hole point of all the anti grind that is part of ArenaNets philosofi, is to have a game that you don't win by not having a real life. 1000 hours in a year is an awfull lot, but  thats what a good hobby can take, but not without costs.

lmao its funny how restricted some peoples minds are when it comes to gaming.  Like nobody ever makes a living being a full time gamer.. That is un heard of!! GASP Consider Gaming as a way of income noooo not possible. Or that someone might have a good reason / excuse for gaming as much as they do.

Not like I need to prove myself to anyone or my reasoning behind being a full time gamer but being retired from a career working 70-80 hours a week having no life with my family and no form of entertainment at all, my life was my work which nearly killed me.  My studies at college included culinary arts(yes I'm a chef), linguistics, study of foreign languages such as Mandarin, Spanish, and Thai just to name a couple(yes I'm multilingual). I also Traveled to south east asia to study culinary arts there as well.  So Thank you very much for your concern but I think I haven't wasted my life, I think the life I had before I retired was, aside from my studies, a complete waste.

I now get to spend 24/7 with my wife and family doing something I truly love within my limitations.  My retirement / disability has forced me into a position to enjoy what ever form of life I can and if its limited to what it is, what gives anyone the right to judge another person without knowing their circumstances let alone gives them the right to judge in the first place...

Just hope to god none of you ever experience having everything you worked so hard for in life ripped form you by an unexpected disability..

Simply put, my family and I are happier now then when I was able to work and are able to enjoy what ever we have left together doing something we can do together not me off at a job spending nearly most of my time away from my family, away from my friends doing something that just provided money.

So ya go ahead judge me :P

judge you ? why should i ? you did a fine job telling why you are able to play full time. But does it change the point i come up with ? Why should we argue that a non subscribtion game really should help people NOT having a life. When the big quality is that you can be part of it without falling behind other players - and still manage to have life. I am well aware that there are plenty features in GW2 you could use a hell lot of time on. And i wish you good luck with that.

And i know people retired, with a pension that have a great life with alot hours of gaming each day , but i also know people dropping out of studies , loosing jobs and relationships, while gaming 10+ hours a day.

I see a point in arguing why GW2 had alot of going for people wanting a great hobby (this thread was a response to all the crying out of "whats the endgame - what to do at max lvl ? that we was flooded with weeeks ago"), but i don't feel like being called restricted because i see real problem for people actual being addicted to gaming and loosing out in real life while thats going on  

Moderation. Simple. Some people fail at it.

If you have the time and you want to spend it that way then go for it. If you don't have the time then you have to insert moderation and do the things that need doing. It's called being an adult. Something some people also fail at. It's not our job to run around telling people how they should spend their time.

That being said. I get to play maybe 20 hours a week and I miss the times before kids where it was a lot more.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by kostoslav

@Auzy I ve played Skyrim 200+ houres, and I have not finished half of quests yet or the main story

You and I both, but the repetition set in at that point and storylines were feeling a little bland.  Hell of a good deal for the money though.  If only it wasn't so consolized at release, I might have gone back to it since I put it down.  It just needs so many mods to correct the problems (what I classify as problems), that the thought of spending the first 20+ hours finding, downloading and installing them, puts me off.

But to the thread at hand, I have just one question:  Is "offcause" an internet meme that I missed?  I saw it used yesterday too and don't know why.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Here is how to spend 1000 hours in the game, just trying everything out.

Now shut up with this "what to do at endgame question ;)

It jumps up all the time . The question of whats the endgame, comming from another new player attrackted to GW2 , not knowing or seeing the virtues in GW1, and conditioned to the grinding progression threadmill.

The player asking most likely think he would powerlevel through all the low levels to get to max level as fast as possible just as he always do.Getting to max level is supposed to take 120 hours, but giving him the benefit of avoiding sidetracking and fun , lets say it takes 100 hours. Blasting through 8 zones and avoiding the rest

Here is what to do then.

Powerlevel to max lvl throuhg 8 zones,                                                            100 hours

discovering Scaling upens 17+ skipped zones to also blast through                     200 hours

30+ minigames (just trying them a few times  and find 1 you like)                         50 hours

dungeouns in exploreple mode, 24 rutes                                                             75 hours

hidden puzzles                                                                                                50 hours

Gaining elusive skillpoints, completing zones                                                     50 hours

festivals during the year                                                                                  50 hours

Guild activities                                                                                              50 hours

crafting , custumes and equpment and consumebles                                         50 hours

playing the AH                                                                                             50 hours

Elite DE missed in the rushing through                                                            50 hours

achivements                                                                                               50 hours

hanging out in ambient surroundings, strolling cities                                         25 hours

making and changing and testing builds (traits and weapons)                            25 hours

Organised PvP (tournaments) and Hot join PvP                                               50 hours

World Wars (WvsW)                                                                                    50 hours

Grind                                                                                                           25 hours

Personal story                                                                                             50 hours

friends personal story                                                                                    25 hours 

What to do in the future

Watching PvP matches (world champ series, your friends and so)                  25 hours

enjoy the player housing                                                                              25 hours

play with expansions                                                                                 200+ hours each

play an alt                                                                                                 100+ hours

Note. We can and will in this thread offcause discuss how precise these numbers are, but the idea behind it is to estimate the time just to try the content out, use the possibillities on a regualar weekly basic during a years play

..... After first BWE i will say most of my numbers are to low , but they still fit a broader picture that there is plenty to do in this game. I expect to do alot more PvP before even know if i will get addicted to it. crafting and AH could also take alot of time now

the point is still to show that even if your numbers differs alot, they most likely add up to alot.

Some of those numbers are high for me... but the PvP and WvW numbers are way, way low... I could spend 50 hours a week in PvP and WvW if it remains balanced and fun. I spent about that much time doing battlegrounds and arena in WoW... and WoW didn't balance gear.

The rest though, on the PvE side... I could spend an absurd amount of time in game alone but would eventually get bored, just like I do in every other game out there. Fortunately it's a MMO and doing these PvE things with other people is not nearly as boring as soloing. I noticed during the BWE that it was incredibly easy to find people to do stuff with... you just look around, see someone doing something and follow them. Add guilds and real life friends to the mix and I can see PvE outlasting other MMOs, especially with healthy PvP and WvW breaks from PvE.

All in all, i think that GW2 is a great value for $60.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Monorojo

Some of thbese are absolutely ridiculous. Hang out in cities for 25 hours? Spend 50 hours in the AH?  50 hours for unspecified "guild activities? UHHH no?

You are really reaching here.

Ahh, the wet blanket has finally arrived.  I knew we were missing something.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

The question of whats the endgame, comming from another new player attrackted to GW2 , not knowing or seeing the virtues in GW1, and conditioned to the grinding progression threadmill.

For the real Role playing games fans thats the biggest issue with Gw2.You see in games like wow the grinding proggression is indeed a boring proccedure. But the further progression in strength of character is the most ethistic factor in every rpg.

Wow choosed the grinding way which is dull and boring and has nothing at leats nowdays with rewarding players skills.

GW2 choosed to eliminate character progression when u hit lvl cap.

Both ways are wrong. There should be always a way to further progress your toon either from pve or pvp awardind player skills and from what most ppl agree both pve and pvp in gw2 can be challenging so there wouldnt be any grinding since its fun.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Ankur

Originally posted by Butregenyo

Originally posted by Ankur

Originally posted by thedarkess

Every race has its own story and zones. Also, there's different paths within one's story. Roll 5 characters and there you have it 1000+ hours.

I heard similar claims from SWTOR people. I rolled two characters to experince personal story and wanted to poke my eyes out after that. And just the personal stories not any other quest in the zones.

true, but i think this is because the gameplay was crappy and boring in SWTOR.

Something that has to be seen with GW2 yet if it is interesting enough to let me roll all 5 characters for their personal stories.

My philsophy on it is that the motivation to keep playing GW2 is in unlocking further skills and seeing what possibilities lead from there.  So playing the personal story would be just for the fat xp bonus to gain more skill points.  The actual story so far, isn't great, regardless of what race IMO.

In SWTOR the motivation was the story, i.e. seeing what would happen next.  With the game being very utility skills focused there wasn't a sense of growing in power when you leveled. So in my play through it pretty much led to me only doing quests I found interesting storywise.  That  led to problems and is a problem later when the character has nomore stories to tell.

Edit: General spelling,grammar, and punctuation.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by OldManFunk

Here is how to spend 1000 hours in the game, just trying everything out.

Now shut up with this "what to do at endgame question ;)

It jumps up all the time . The question of whats the endgame, comming from another new player attrackted to GW2 , not knowing or seeing the virtues in GW1, and conditioned to the grinding progression threadmill.

The player asking most likely think he would powerlevel through all the low levels to get to max level as fast as possible just as he always do.Getting to max level is supposed to take 120 hours, but giving him the benefit of avoiding sidetracking and fun , lets say it takes 100 hours. Blasting through 8 zones and avoiding the rest

Here is what to do then.

Powerlevel to max lvl throuhg 8 zones,                                                            100 hours

discovering Scaling upens 17+ skipped zones to also blast through                     200 hours

30+ minigames (just trying them a few times  and find 1 you like)                         50 hours

dungeouns in exploreple mode, 24 rutes                                                             75 hours

hidden puzzles                                                                                                50 hours

Gaining elusive skillpoints, completing zones                                                     50 hours

festivals during the year                                                                                  50 hours

Guild activities                                                                                              50 hours

crafting , custumes and equpment and consumebles                                         50 hours

playing the AH                                                                                             50 hours

Elite DE missed in the rushing through                                                            50 hours

achivements                                                                                               50 hours

hanging out in ambient surroundings, strolling cities                                         25 hours

making and changing and testing builds (traits and weapons)                            25 hours

Organised PvP (tournaments) and Hot join PvP                                               50 hours

World Wars (WvsW)                                                                                    50 hours

Grind                                                                                                           25 hours

Personal story                                                                                             50 hours

friends personal story                                                                                    25 hours 

What to do in the future

Watching PvP matches (world champ series, your friends and so)                  25 hours

enjoy the player housing                                                                              25 hours

play with expansions                                                                                 200+ hours each

play an alt                                                                                                 100+ hours

Note. We can and will in this thread offcause discuss how precise these numbers are, but the idea behind it is to estimate the time just to try the content out, use the possibillities on a regualar weekly basic during a years play

..... After first BWE i will say most of my numbers are to low , but they still fit a broader picture that there is plenty to do in this game. I expect to do alot more PvP before even know if i will get addicted to it. crafting and AH could also take alot of time now

the point is still to show that even if your numbers differs alot, they most likely add up to alot.

Some of those numbers are high for me... but the PvP and WvW numbers are way, way low... I could spend 50 hours a week in PvP and WvW if it remains balanced and fun. I spent about that much time doing battlegrounds and arena in WoW... and WoW didn't balance gear.

The rest though, on the PvE side... I could spend an absurd amount of time in game alone but would eventually get bored, just like I do in every other game out there. Fortunately it's a MMO and doing these PvE things with other people is not nearly as boring as soloing. I noticed during the BWE that it was incredibly easy to find people to do stuff with... you just look around, see someone doing something and follow them. Add guilds and real life friends to the mix and I can see PvE outlasting other MMOs, especially with healthy PvP and WvW breaks from PvE.

All in all, i think that GW2 is a great value for $60.

i have marked with read the reason why the PvP numbers are that low. Its the time needed to try things out, and be able to say been there done that, got the idea, and really be sure there isn't alot left that you haven't experienced.