Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

barely any choice of skills

Comments

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Arawulf

The skill list is the same for every class in EVERY mmo.  At least in GW2 you can't always predict which ones the other folks will have available at the same time.

Very easy to predict once cookie cutter builds get popular. I am sure you played GW1, i don't even need to tell you about this.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I think less skill choices is a good thing. I hate that you have WAY too many skills in WoW. You have every toolbar slot full of junk that you rarely even use.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

For the mesmer, i count 20 utility spells, 3 heals. Not counting the weapon skills.

For spanning 80 levels.. that isnt much.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I think less skill choices is a good thing. I hate that you have WAY too many skills in WoW. You have every toolbar slot full of junk that you rarely even use.

And this is the reason why games have been falling as far as they are these days.

Far to many people want less complexity, less difficulty, less diversity and need for progression.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Now you have to think first what you put on your bar

and not just drag them all covering 2/3 of your monitor.

The horror! :O

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

And this is the reason why games have been falling as far as they are these days.

Far to many people want less complexity, less difficulty, less diversity and need for progression.

I think GW2 will provide plenty of complexity and difficulty, I don't know about progression.  It will just do it in a way that hasn't been done before, using skill.  On the subject of skills per class, I just think back to my mage and my current shadow priest in WoW..... how many of those amazing skills do I even use?

Mind Spike - Mind Spike - Mind Spike - Mind Blast, and ocassionally Psychic Horror in PvP.  That's it.  I can do massive DPS with two skills, the rest hardly matter.  What's the point of having skills you don't even use?  Does that make a game superior? Same with my mage, a few skills used and still topping DPS charts.  More is not always better.  They just take up space and litter your field of vision.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Why? Is it more complex to have your toolbar full of stuff that you won't use? I guess if it looks complex it makes it complex...whatever.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Draftbeer

They are also planning on a console version, which will be much easier to pull off if they limit the number of active skills.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Agreed.  Even in GW you have a dizzying number of skills, many if not most, never get used.  Lots of skills for lots of skills sake, is just not needed.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by DShepley60

The skill list is the same for every class in EVERY mmo.  At least in GW2 you can't always predict which ones the other folks will have available at the same time.

Incorrect sir. Dark Age of Camelot has 3 Seperate factions with Each faction having a unique class, some spells across has same effect but on say Albion for Crowd control, you need a good Sorc And/or Cleric. For Hibernia, the best CC and instant Mezz is from a bard. For Midgard, the Healer class has the awesome instant aoe stun, and with castable clarity which increases melee speed a huge ton for the 10-20 seconds it lasts, but no other classes have anything compare. There are melee weapon speed buffs but on Hib its a permant castable buff from a Druid. On Albion, for that speed boost the Theurgist has the best (which is a caster/pet class)

So essientially there are similiars in spells but not one is identical across the few dozen classes available across the 3 factions.

You obviously didn't understand what he said.  Two people that are the SAME class have the same set of skills from which to choose and there are a LOT of skillls, you can only have a set number equipped at the same time, however, and then your weapon sets also change skills. 

All SAME CLASSES have same skills.  Two necromancers will both have necromancer skills to choose from.  Every MMO is set up that way.  That is what he was saying.  How did you miss that?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

They are also planning on a console version, which will be much easier to pull off if they limit the number of active skills.

It has got nothing to do with that, guild wars has always had a low amount of active skills.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

If it doesn't meet your expectations don't purchase it and play it.

Simplicity

edit - i am starting to believe that all these really sad whining posts and attempts to find fault with the shallowest of reasons is simply the wow generation that has never played earlier mmos. I honestly believe that they know how successful this game will be and it truly frightens them that the genre will change from the only thing they know.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

I don't think console version has something to do with it.

More like GW 1 had this way too just with 8 skills and the

first five was not swapable (at least not during the combat).

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by romanator0

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/

Plenty of skill choice.

People will make up anything to "pretend" to hate on GW2.  Everyone with an ounce of brains knows that GW2 has plenty of customization and choice in character skills. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Elementalist

Traits:

The Elementalist has the following trait lines: Fire Magic, Air Magic, Earth Magic, Water Magic and Arcane Power.

skills:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profession

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by bazak

Originally posted by DShepley60

Incorrect sir. Dark Age of Camelot has 3 Seperate factions with Each faction having a unique class, some spells across has same effect but on say Albion for Crowd control, you need a good Sorc And/or Cleric. For Hibernia, the best CC and instant Mezz is from a bard. For Midgard, the Healer class has the awesome instant aoe stun, and with castable clarity which increases melee speed a huge ton for the 10-20 seconds it lasts, but no other classes have anything compare. There are melee weapon speed buffs but on Hib its a permant castable buff from a Druid. On Albion, for that speed boost the Theurgist has the best (which is a caster/pet class)

So essientially there are similiars in spells but not one is identical across the few dozen classes available across the 3 factions.

yes but thats not what hes talking about, he said that every person of the SAME CLASS has the SAME SKILLS (emphasis not yelling). basicly all theurgists have access to the same spells/skills etc. doesnt matter if each faction doesnt have the same classes you can still predict what skills they will have based on level and class.

The way DAOC specs worked, two characters of the same class could be almost entirely different.  A mend spec healer had a totally different skillset than an augment spec, or a pacification spec.  Or any number of different ways to combine the three.  and which spec you went for would dramatically change the whole way the character played.  Was a balance nightmare, but it was well worth it for how much it brought to the game, IMHO.

Sounds like WoW.....resto druid, balance druid, feral druid.....all played differently.  So what?  Still trying to figure out what the comment that started this burst of responses has to do with GW2's system.  Nothing I think.  Starting with "incorrect, sir" it makes no sense in context since it doesn't apply to GW2, but to DAoC which has nothing to do with GW2.....????  It's better maybe?  So go play it.  /shrug

Originally posted by Arcona

Elementalist skills

Well, CLEARLY there aren't enough skills.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Originally posted by just1opinion

Elementalist skills

lol, omg please respond op.

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Simplicity

edit - i am starting to believe that all these really sad whining posts and attempts to find fault with the shallowest of reasons is simply the wow generation that has never played earlier mmos. I honestly believe that they know how successful this game will be and it truly frightens them that the genre will change from the only thing they know.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by just1opinion

Elementalist skills

lol, omg please respond op.

Nope not enough differentiation for my sakes.  I recommend ANet add another 17 pages of skills for each class.  Herp Derp. 

OP busted yet again!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Seems like more than plenty to me, as I am sure every class is the same, more or less.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by bishbosh

everyone who is the same class as you will have exactly the same weapon skills as you. why is there no choice? the only skills you can change are the healing, elite and utility spells but everyone will still have access to these. doesnt seem very RPG like to me.

Every LOTRO guardian had the same abilities.   Every SWTOR Jedi Sentinal went down one of two viable trees (really just one thanks to BioWare's bad programming).   Every Superhero in DCUO.   Every Paladin has the same skills.   Heck, every Paladin just about has the same skills across games by different developers... 

So I don't get your complaint.   It's a game.   Skills are limited.  

• SakerasoSakeraso Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by bishbosh

everyone who is the same class as you will have exactly the same weapon skills as you. why is there no choice? the only skills you can change are the healing, elite and utility spells but everyone will still have access to these. doesnt seem very RPG like to me.

I'd have to agree,

While the game does look nice graphics and UI wise, the limited diversity the game will have to offer is going to make the game very un-apealing at end game, thus everyone will expect a expac within 6 months.

Game won't launch as expected will generate a moderate to small community by the end of the year.

Archeage Tera Blade n soul C9 all these games will have more appeal just based off of the diversity the game allows you to have.

• TalehonTalehon Member UncommonPosts: 17

Elementalist, by far, has the most skills. Elementalist has 4 attunements, and thus 4 different sets of skills for every weapon. Every other class will have 1/4th as many weapon skills as Elementalist.

Just so people don't get the wrong idea. There are enough skills, but using Elementalist to show just how many there are is stupid. They are unique in their massive skill list.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Simplicity

A smuch as i am looking forward to GW2 i really doubt that.