Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any particular reason behind the weapon reistrictions?

DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

It seems like guild wars could easily go the route of allowing every weapon for every class, obviously functioning in different ways for each class. If you look at say, the greatsword on a mesmer vs the greatsword on a warrior, same weapon, on a mesmer is suddenly a long range cannon type weapon, on the warrior the traditional large cleaver it should be.

Is there an actual reason behind say, a mesmer not being able to dual weild pistols? or a warrior being able to use a staff, or whatever else, perhaps there are some strictly mage type weapons like the totems and stuff, but a large amount of the weapons and weapon combinations seem like they should simply be availble to every class.

I personally will be making this sugestion when i get into the beta, but i was wondering what others thought, did they mention the reason behind the restrictions? As it stands now it seems fairly arbitriary.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

you can suggest all you want, but they aren't going to change anything.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Your weapons are tied to your skills.

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

I have no doubt that more skills will be added into the game at a later date. To do this, Anet would have to allow more weapon choices per class.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Why would you go suggesting to them ideas that they've obviously already put a ton of thought into? They've only been working on the game for 5 years now, don't you think they've thought about things like dual-pistol mesmers and staff warriors?

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Guely

I have no doubt that more skills will be added into the game at a later date. To do this, Anet would have to allow more weapon choices per class.

If they are able to balance it correctly then I'm sure they could add some in.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

The simplest Answer I can give you is that weapon restrictions are there to keep a sense of Identity to the various classes.

While most classes are able to use one or several weapons of another class, one might only be able to use certain combos.

It's a happy medium between Everything & Exclusivity.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Kreedz

The simplest Answer I can give you is that weapon restrictions are there to keep a sense of Identity to the various classes.

While most classes are able to use one or several weapons of another class, one might only be able to use certain combos.

Yeah that doesnt make sense.

To me if you can use a pistol in your off hand, why wouldnt you be able to use it in your main hand?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

To me if you can use a pistol in your off hand, why wouldnt you be able to use it in your main hand?

I think I see where you are coming from.  You want to be a mage yet wear the toughest armor while duel weilding bazookas and or lightsabers or something.  I'd guess you want too have the best avoidance skills to that and faster movement than everyone else for easy kiting.  It might be too far to suggest that your character can fart gems and/or gold.

Oh wait, this is about getting every little choice you can. Why should you get it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

class idenity,  readable combat and balance.   Weapon restrictions are used to balance each class.  Adding weapons for ever class would just give the just a bunch of useless skills.  This is a game realism goes out the window

Go play a sandbox or wait for AA.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    OP, no reason in particular. The restrictions actually make more sense than in most games because in GW2 they have to come up with a skillset per weapon per class.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Both these things," a good sandbox game " or "an AA system in GW2" will probably never happen.

I would love an AA system, but when implemented in the wrong way it could feel grindy to the players, and therefor Arenanet will stay far away from it for now.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

OP, no reason in particular. The restrictions actually make more sense than in most games because in GW2 they have to come up with a skillset per weapon per class.

But then they can easilly add more weapons in the far and distant future to the classes....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by DJJazzy

this, opening up all weap to all profs would mean MANY more skills to balance, make skills for and traits to go with them... wouldn't be all that feasible.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Both these things," a good sandbox game " or "an AA system in GW2" will probably never happen.

I would love an AA system, but when implemented in the wrong way it could feel grindy to the players, and therefor Arenanet will stay far away from it for now.

I think he meant play a sandbox or wait for ArcheAge, not wait for an alternate advancement system for guild wars.

That could be true, but how could i know?  As said i am still wayting on the perfect sandbox game, which will not be ArcheAge.

Originally posted by waynejr2

I think I see where you are coming from.  You want to be a mage yet wear the toughest armor while duel weilding bazookas and or lightsabers or something.  I'd guess you want too have the best avoidance skills to that and faster movement than everyone else for easy kiting.  It might be too far to suggest that your character can fart gems and/or gold.

Oh wait, this is about getting every little choice you can. Why should you get it.

No, you dont see what i am talking about. You are just being facetious, you think you are witty but you are not.

What i mean is simple, Just like how the greatsword was completely reworked so that a mesmer and a warrior could use it, is the same way dual pistols or any other weapon could be reworked for each class.

I dont think every class should wear every armor, but if 5 of my skills are determined by weapon, then shouldnt there be more weapons and combinations options if farming skills is an aspect of the game?

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

A few touchy responses just because he would like to have weapons not have class-restrictions. This wasn't even a hater-type post. Things like this give GW2 fans a bad name. Hope this doesn't reflect how the community will act in game. Doubt it will, as forums usually don't represent majority of players in games. But why the bitter?

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by DJJazzy

this, opening up all weap to all profs would mean MANY more skills to balance, make skills for and traits to go with them... wouldn't be all that feasible.

It would be a lot more work, but very feasible.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Most likely it is an issue of balance and also a way to give each class it's own distinct feel.

Originally posted by Dawnstar

Most likely it is an issue of balance and also a way to give each class it's own distinct feel.

Arent the class skills supposed to give each class its own distinct feel?  The weapon restrictions dont really tie into the whole personal story thing from waht i can see.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

That could be true, but how could i know?  As said i am still wayting on the perfect sandbox game, which will not be ArcheAge.

Blasphemy! Actually, I can't get too excited for ArchAge until I know it's releasing in the west. Looks great so far though.

On topic: OP, you got the answer. Weapons are tied to skills, when they add more skills you'll get more weapons. Yay

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

It would seem because they simply chose to for whatever reason.

Many MMOs in the themepark section seem to have the same thing, limiting certain classes to certain weapons; I would prefer they didn't but not much you can do.

If it bothers you enough to not play the game simply don't; if it doesn't bother you that much then make suggestions and try to rally support for the idea whenever you hit beta. That is really all you can do.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by Dawnstar

Arent the class skills supposed to give each class its own distinct feel?  The weapon restrictions dont really tie into the whole personal story thing from waht i can see.

I think it's a combination of class skills and the weapons available to the class and how they interact.  Just my opinion..

Originally posted by Axllow18

It would seem because they simply chose to for whatever reason.

Many MMOs in the themepark section seem to have the same thing, limiting certain classes to certain weapons; I would prefer they didn't but not much you can do.

If it bothers you enough to not play the game simply don't; if it doesn't bother you that much then make suggestions and try to rally support for the idea whenever you hit beta. That is really all you can do.

Where did i say it bothered me enough not to play the game?

I did say i would make a suggestion about it in beta.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

You might as well ask questions like "Why are there only 8 classes?" "Why don't they add more weapon types?" "Why are there only 3 elites per class?" or simply "Why not more?"

It's pointless to ask any of these. They'll add more when they get to it. Sheesh.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss