Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about instancing

HopfrogHopfrog Member Posts: 90

Tried looking for some more instancing info, I am sure it is out there, but after 20 minutes of looking without success I am going to ask here. Apologies if it is easy to find an answer and I missed it somewhere.

Are there separate instances of the same zone? I.e. Barrens (1), Barrens (2), or are zones unique instances? Really hate the dead world feeling of games that do multiple instances of the same zone and would appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

no the zones are not instanced, however GW1 is this way. Instancing is only in dungeons and personal story quests. There is talk of overflow servers of each zones but i believe they said this would be very difficult to hit.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

The normal world, dynamic events, jumping puzzles, world bosses = not instanced

Dungeons = instanced

Personal story = instanced

Battle grounds = instanced

WvW =  not instanced

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Originally posted by WellzyC

The normal world, dynamic events, jumping puzzles, world bosses = not instanced

Dungeons = instanced

Personal story = instanced

Battle grounds = instanced

WvW =  not instanced

I thought W v W was going to be instanced. I thought i heard that more than 1 W v W will be going on at the same time. 

Before trolls get onto this - I am aware that W v W is  4 gigantic zones with few to no loading screens.

I remember hearing that if you lose that weeks W v W you will be put up against another weaker group of people and the group that won gets into a higher bracket of W v W.

Unsure about info, I only remember these things vaguely.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Magnetia

I thought W v W was going to be instanced. I thought i heard that more than 1 W v W will be going on at the same time. 

Before trolls get onto this - I am aware that W v W is  4 gigantic zones with few to no loading screens.

I remember hearing that if you lose that weeks W v W you will be put up against another weaker group of people and the group that won gets into a higher bracket of W v W.

Unsure about info, I only remember these things vaguely.

Depends what you call instance then,

Persisent zone usually means anyone on that server can access that area and interact with players outside their party, meaning the zone is persisent to all players on that server.

An Instanced zone will be that, it is restricted to only you and your party memebers to access and unable to interact with players outside the party.

Now for WvW, you have 3 servers playing together and able to interact with other players, sure there are other WvW running at the same time, but thats happening on another server. If by your definiton that WvW is instanced, every single MMO out there is instanced, because another server is running the exact same world??

NOTE: You have 3 servers playing together, this is made possible probably due to ArenaNet's server infrastructure, so WvW have 4 combined maps, each map is hosted on one server, and you are transfered into another server when you changed zones. Look into GW2 server overflow feature to see how easy it is to server transfer in this game.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Problem is that a zone can handle only so much players at once. This is a technical thing.. with only 5 starting zones, there has to be some sort of mechanisme preventing the zones from getting to busy... GW2 has solved this problem with overflow servers..  The only place where overflow servers get a bit hairy is WvWvW, as you obviously want to defend your own realm and not some kind of temporary setting.

I personally am still wondering about the zoning from one zone to another, will there be loading screens like in EQ2 or will it be seemless like in WoW. Not that it would really matter as you will travel by teleporting most of the times which will allways get you loading screens.

So far i have seen loading screens when entering.

-entering WvWvW and the mists

-entering structured PvP

-Zoning in a major city

-teleporting portals

-entering a personal story instance.

So far there has been no proof of zoning between the 4 WvWvW zones and the open world PvE zones. So my quastion is, will there be loading screens between these zones? And do you have any proof of this?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I personally am still wondering about the zoning from one zone to another, will there be loading screens like in EQ2 or will it be seemless like in WoW. Not that it would really matter as you will travel by teleporting most of the times which will allways get you loading screens.

-entering structured PvP

-Zoning in a major city

-teleporting portals

So far there has been no proof of zoning between the 4 WvWvW zones and the open world PvE zones. So my quastion is, will there be loading screens between these zones? And do you have any proof of this?

probably since there is a player limit per area. There will also be a loading screen when you switch zones, couldn't tell if you asked that or not. The load times semm very short and might only annoy those with crappy comps/internet.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by ariboersma

-entering structured PvP

-Zoning in a major city

-teleporting portals

probably since there is a player limit per area. There will also be a loading screen when you switch zones, couldn't tell if you asked that or not. The load times semm very short and might only annoy those with crappy comps/internet.

Thats an assumption, and assumptions are the mother of all frack ups.  Thats why i have asked for proof on this question, so far all i have seen is assumptions.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Thats an assumption, and assumptions are the mother of all frack ups.  Thats why i have asked for proof on this question, so far all i have seen is assumptions.

So basically you want someone to breach the NDA. I haven't seen it in any old footage. I'm sure someone would have noticed it if it had been shown somewhere. It's not in any of the press beta footage I've seen up till now.

Maybe we'll see someone crossing zones in future beta material, but we can't be sure for now.

imageimage
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I believe the limit for the mists is 500. But i have not confirmed if its 500 per mist area (there are 5) or overall.  the mists feels like a massive instance though, as only a certain number will be allowed and i do not believe there is an overflow server for the mists.  When u log out the mists, i suspect its like siege wars in runes of magic, where you start off back  into hte area u logged in from.  

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by dontadow

I believe the limit for the mists is 500. But i have not confirmed if its 500 per mist area (there are 5) or overall.  the mists feels like a massive instance though, as only a certain number will be allowed and i do not believe there is an overflow server for the mists.  When u log out the mists, i suspect its like siege wars in runes of magic, where you start off back  into hte area u logged in from.  

From the way they said it, the target is 500 per map, so 2000 total per WvWvW contest, given the 4 maps....I thought I heard they were at around 400 though atm, and working to push it higher, and maybe higher than the 500...

Originally posted by ariboersma

-entering structured PvP

-Zoning in a major city

-teleporting portals

its more of an educated guess than an assumption.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Zones have ability to break off into shards in order to deal with over population, this has only happened during every end of beta event. It's either because Divinities Reach has a smaller player cap, or the end of beta event limits the amount of players so that DE that takes place remains properly difficult.

No one really knows why certain areas seem to segment players more than others, mind you the number is still 100+ for what some consider a small thresh hold, but still... it could be some undiscovered complex algorithim or a simple preset number.

Something to note, is that it's beta, and sharding is still very infantile at the moment. Often times being very invasive and buggy causing seperation of team mates and what not.

Honestly you don't notice it until certain unorthodox events take place, to give a proper example I suppose I could compare to some notable WoW events. Events such as AQ gate opening would probably force sharding, the Dark Portal breach event pre-BC, and maybe the first Lunar Festival. Basically any notable events in which the servers would crash multiple times due to overload is when you can expect to see some shards form.

So ask yourself this, what is more immersion breaking, disconnecting and having to sit in a queue, or being able to continue to play with relatively smooth transitions.