Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the best MMO to come out since WoW

Comments

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Dinasty

Some people like to eat chalk too.

Some people also like food, music and movies that others don't.

Simple, but sometimes astonishing fact of life image

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

Wow, how easily please you are, hmm?  A game designer's wet dream :D

• BigLuvinBigLuvin Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Really? Every single server is vacant? Sounds like you're just pulling something out your ass. Out the 3 servers I have toons on, they're all alive and kicking.

So you have a toon on the 3 high population servers that are left?  I can tell you such things are a rarity on Krayiss Obelisk.  Haven't heard much different on the offical forums either, everyone begs for server merges or transfers.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by Jason2444

For me SWTOR was the greatest game ever.... For about a week

Sad, but true.

*You know it's sad but truuuuuuuuuuuue yea-eah*

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Isasis

WoW was my first MMO and only one I ever actually played. I tried a lot of others but they all sucked compared to WoW. I even tried EVE, but the community was horrible compared to WoW's community.

I avoided playing SWTOR because of all the hate it gets, but yesterday I bought it and played all day. And wow! This just overtook WoW for me. The world (on origin world, and it only gets bigger) is huge. Graphics are top notch, in terms of art style and the customization for characters is amazing. But what really stands this MMO apart from the others is the amazing voice acting. It is better than Tortage in AoC, the only good part of that MMO. I just love going through this huge story that other MMOs just don't have.

I mentioned graphics, which are amazing and some of the best of any MMO. But the animations and cut scenes really make it. I've played SWTOR for about 10 hours now and having the most fun I've had in an MMO. My guy is a Sith Sorceror and its amazing going pewpewpew.

Also, the community is actually better than WoW's, which a lot of MMOs fail in that regard. There are people all over the place going about their business, chat isn't full of trolls complaining about WoW and getting groups is incredibly easy. This is probably a better grouping game than WoW, which already was good for groups.

Anyway I'll end this year as I know a lot are like "tldr"...so to sum it up: Best MMO since WoW, maybe the best MMO ever and everything about SWTOR is amazing. Never have I been so into a story in a game, MMO or not. Will definitely easily have 10 million subscribers or more if they keep coming out with updates.

Very good post,  I liked Vanilla wow but once it became easy mode I passed on wow.  Dont worry about the haters LOL Many people who comment on here have played a lot of mmo's, just cannot find their niche and thus have become very bitter and only feel good when knocking games other people like. A lot of these haters have not even played swtor they just like coming on mmorpg.com and being negative(yes i know they need a life) other people have played it and will give genuine constructive criticism.   I have found that people who like DA, Me2 and 3 , kotar will like swtor and those that don't like those games will not like swtor.       Because swtor has such a strong story line w voice overs , cut scenes, great sound, companions , plot, and small grouping w social points, I can forgive its relatively weak PvP, they do need to strengthen the Space game and I have a feeling they will by Christmas.    By the way all the people who say I got to lvl 50 in 1 or 2 or 3 weeks are end game speed levelers who under no circumstances are going to enjoy a game like swtor with a strong story line, invariably all those people will have space barred the story and quests and then wonder "what the heck am I doing at lvl 50 so fast"   Isasis people like you, me and many others love reading the story , getting into the political intrigue , the backstabbing, the heroic, who is going to kill who story lines, we also love to play alts and see how they differ.     May the Force be with you!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Took me 5 weeks to get my first 50, in pre-TBC WoW at a similar pace, it took me roughly 3 months to get my first 60, it was that bad but they sped up levelling in WoW since then and you can get up to 85 in less than a month. My second 50 took less than 4 weeks because I skipped planet story (since I've done it already) and only did class story, some side quests and mostly pvp, after 1.2 levelling from pvp is going to be very very very slow (reduced xp and 0 credit earned), Bioware is trying to force you to play the pve game which will push the remaining pvp'ers out.

SWTOR had a great smooth launch, but their ongoing maintenance is terrible, they're changing stuff too soon and half of them are completely unnecessary.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Loke666

I don't see it ever getting 10 million players, do you even understand how many players that are?

TOR is already the second largest MMO who ever came out, few games before it have topped even one million players and none have kept them past a month.

But TOR is too close to a singleplayer game to ever have that many players, it is mainly focused on telling a story but both the PvP and endgame are far from perfect and still need a lot of work.

If the game would have been F2P or B2P 10 millions are possible, but I don't see it happening now, I don't see it come up to 10 million boxes sold ever. You can actually count the PC games that sold that well on the fingers on your left hand (The Sims (1, 2 & 3), World of Warcraft, Half-Life 2, StarCraft and Battlefield 2), yeah, I count all the sims as one game but they each sold over 10 million copies.

TOR is not a bad game but I think it will be hit rather hard when GW2 releases. While GW2 have less of a story it offers as least as much other stuff without a monthly fee.

I wouldnt be surprised if some day all MMOs are B2P, along with cash shops. The MP side of Red Dead Redemption was a damn good time. With the capability of having 1000 or so in zone, it would really be a knockout. A core PVE experience, the option to play on non PVP servers, and lots of different mini games. Bonus that a low lvl can actually kill a high lvl in PVP.

RDR gave us a ton of unlocks for MP  game. A MMO version could add so much more. I havent tried ME3 MP yet(last 2 acheivements I need to unlock are based on it), but from most accounts it is a good experience. ME3 is P2W ala GW2, in that you can either earn credits ingame to unlock features, or outright buy them for money. Something RDR didnt have.

If the day ever comes that TOR goes B2P, or FTP,  I suspect some huge numbers of gamers would be playing. Even more if they follow GW2's example, and release on next gen consoles as well. From what I have read, we should have a new xbox in about 2 yrs. I know for myself, I would play a lot more often if I could get a few hrs in while laying down.

GW2 would be a footnote should BW actually fix the PVP, and go BTP/FTP. I dont think they will ever dedicate the resources to make the PVP like folks claim to want though, so it is a moot thought.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

No it's not.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Pyuk

No it's not. IMO

Fixed :)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Best MMO ever until lvl 50.

Which means they need to fill in end game content. Something the majority of new games need.

I believe we have had 2 new end game missions added since launch. That is pretty good output, but they need to get the release dates a lttle closer to 4 or 5 weeks inbetween IMO. Although even at the current pace, there should be a metric shit ton of PVE content available in a yr or two. Even more so if they have a side team working to put out expansions every 14 months or so.

IMO what makes PVE themeparks great is that they are capable of churning out more content should the Devs desire. EQ went too fast with it, and released buggy/incomplete expansions about twice a yr. WoW was the other end of the spectrum, and was like 2 yrs inbetween expansions. Somewhere in the middle is the "sweet spot".

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by eddieg50

snip - I played SW:TOR for 10 hours or so and it's the best MMO i've ever played. Will definitely easily have 10 million subscribers or more if they keep coming out with updates.

snip -   Very good post,  I liked Vanilla wow but once it became easy mode I passed on wow.  

Honestly, I am not a fan of SW:TOR, but even thinking it will hit 2 million is laughable, the game will thrive with around 500,000 or so players.

And I have to ask, if you left WoW because it became easy, why are you playing SW:TOR which could be considered even easier?

I know you guys like the game, but you need to try to be sensible.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by eddieg50

snip - Will definitely easily have 10 million subscribers or more if they keep coming out with updates.

snip -   Very good post,  I liked Vanilla wow but once it became easy mode I passed on wow.  

Honestly, I am not a fan of SW:TOR, but even thinking it will hit 2 million is laughable, the game will thrive with around 500,000 or so tops.

And I have to ask, if you left WoW because it became easy, why are you playing SW:TOR which could be considered even easier?

It's never going to hit 10 million.  No MMO will ever hit that number again.  But saying it will hover around 500k is nearly as absurd IF Bioware continues to crank out content at a good pace.  Based strictly on Star Wars fans, Bioware fans, people that are new to MMOs, and even single player rpg fans, they'll hit 500k without even trying.  

My guess is TOR will hover around 1 million subscribers, give or take.  I say this because, despite the haters who want to paint Bioware/EA as the "big, bad, evil corporation," it is pretty obvious that Bioware is proving that it is absolutely committed to this game, and committed to improving it.  They'll make standard newbie mistakes, many of them, in fact, but the desire to make a solid MMO is there, which we can't always say about developers. 

As for your question about why someone would play TOR over WoW, well...the answer is quite simple.  First of all, if you are a hardcore raider, yes, TOR is easier than WoW because the raids are easier.  But the raiding and flashpoints are the only thing that is easier in TOR.  The actual levelling experience is much more difficult, and the mobs you fight out in the open world are much more challenging.  The class quest liine is also very challenging, with nearly every quest ending with you fighting an elite mob.  Wow, from 1-85 is a complete joke to level, has far less group quests than TOR, and has virtually non-existent fight mechanics for mobs.  TOR's levelling is more difficult, and more rewarding.  And considering that not everyone plays TOR for endgame raiding, then it is easy  to see why someone might prefer it over WoW, at least until you get to endgame.

• Revanchist42Revanchist42 Member Posts: 4

Edit:  this is a lot longer than i realised so just read the 1-2-3-4 part unless you like reading a lot more than I

huge star wars fanboi here.  flame all you want, my first mmo was wow, played a bunch for a few months off and on each (AoC, RIFT, WAR main ones, bunch of others, bunch of FtPs), mainly play wow.  I was waiting for swtor for years.  It came out and I was amazed...then i hit level 10 and joined a queue for a warzone and eagerly waitied to test my favorite aspect of mmos, the pvp.........and waited..........and waited.........and waited a 'lil more....and finally the queue popped.  I get in.  i wait for it to start, and search hungrily for my first victim...and as soon as i press one button my fps crashes through the floor.  as in, never more than 15 fps at the most.  To prevent a super long post ill condense it: what pvp didnt lag was at least wows quality(and pvp in mmos nowadays all seems the same really except wows plays smoother), possilby better due to tanks in pvp and - my favorite....the ability to make your own spec through hybrids and such, and that you arent a "n00b" if you dont do this or that(i suppose thats just cus its a new game and all but still.  the game is wows quality, likely better imo except for a few critical things:

1: cross server pvp queues(coming in next patch)

2: better dungeon lfg system.  this can be gotten around with old fashioned lfg spam and guilds but its still a bit of a hassle

3: end game content.  this is entirely because of it being a brand new game.  wow was the same as well as rift and all the others ive ever heard of, so it will improve with time

**4**: this one is the real killer for me...they tried to hard with the graphics and animations.  the animations make it feel sluggish because they take precedence over the abilities.  ex: i use instant melee x.  when its gcd finishes i see that i just parried an attack and can use my count, instant melee y.  however, when i hit y, it triggers the gcd but no damage happens because x animation was still going on.  supposedly they fixed this but my friends who still play disagree.  also, since they made everything so fancy wit hthe animations and graphics and some unfinished engine it kills systems that arent the highest end.  this is my main problem...i cant pvp without spending $500+ on upgrading my system that runs anything else on low-medium even in pvp just fine.  i even spent the 200 for a great graphics card as mine was really out of date but above min and i still cant do sh!t in pvp.

i really didnt realise how long this rant was sorry!

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Jason2444

Originally posted by korent1991

He's not trolling. We were all once like him

ROFL. 

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

There is no way this thread is serious.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by Calhoun619

Im sorry not to be rude but not only is SWTOR garbage but so is every other AAA title thats dropped since WoW. Games keep my attention longer than the free month? Hell they cant even keep my attention longer than a week. AoC,WAR,DF,FFXIV,CoX,CO,DCUO,Rift,Aion list goes on and on.

Same old blah blah blah kill x and bring me x skins. Go fetch that water. Go kill 10 of x and wait 5 mins to see all the mobs you killed right back where they were killed, same group, doing the same animations. But the quest giver praises me on culling the population or saving the town even though in a few mins NOTHING is different all mobs are respawned and I just look for the next exclamation mark to point me to more mindless nothingness.

Oh look another big giant boss that just stands still and lets us all shoot pretty magics and swing big swords and axes at it until it dies. Oh did I mention 96% of the time we are all just standing still too? Oh yeah a couple big BIG fights require you to move your character 5 feet. Tough fights man way tough. Oh and you have to point bosses away from everyone. Nerve wracking huh?

I just cant stand the genre anymore and everyday I come here to this website waiting to see something that rekindles the love I had for MMOs.

Im sure GW2 will come out and have some gamebreaking bug that was unforseen, and then lose 70% of the population while telling us, "Hey folks sorry for making another bug filled crap MMO that only works half of the time, but just wait for MIRACLE PATCH 1.2 and we will make it right. Right?

By Reading this post, can you tell that the writer is a fan of FPS and not MMORPGs.  How often do we see these statments writen over and over again, by console gamers wanting a MMOFPS experience.  Haven't they heard of Planetside, or Palnetside 2?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    OP, congratulations, I love your work, I enjoyed your GW2 is revolutionary as it has a day/night cycle post, wonderful straight faced stuff, it's funny how people are agreeing with you here whilst unaware you are gently poking fun at them.

/me tips hat to a master of the dark arts.
  • sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

. I tried a lot of others but they all sucked compared to WoW. I even tried EVE, but the community was horrible compared to WoW's community.

I

Stopped reading after that ..  now I have been around the MMO block a bit, since the original EQ,  EQ2, WOW, AION, RIFT, EVE etc..  and wow had one of the worst communities of any of those .. except maybe AION.

surprisingly for a gank oriented game, I have found the EvE community by and large to be notably more mature (on average) than other games (wel wow in particular)  now of course they are bad eggs everywhere, but I am talking about the general tone of chat in the game/boards/etc and how people respond to questions.

Shockingly found EvE to actually be better than expected.

• Name an MMO that would live up to the word "great" or possibly even "good" since WoW was released and I might be impressed.

This could all be a subtle effort to damn with faint praise.  I have to be very careful with MMOs you know.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by RefMinor

OP, congratulations, I love your work, I enjoyed your GW2 is revolutionary as it has a day/night cycle post, wonderful straight faced stuff, it's funny how people are agreeing with you here whilst unaware you are gently poking fun at them.

/me tips hat to a master of the dark arts.

Ref, I thought you were the only master of the dark arts?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

@OP, lol

Rift is 10x better than swtor in comparison...and gw2....well... prepurchase it, download beta client and check yourself on friday. It'll blow your brains out.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

WoW was my first MMO and only one I ever actually played. I tried a lot of others but they all sucked compared to WoW. I even tried EVE, but the community was horrible compared to WoW's community.

I avoided playing SWTOR because of all the hate it gets, but yesterday I bought it and played all day. And wow! This just overtook WoW for me. The world (on origin world, and it only gets bigger) is huge. Graphics are top notch, in terms of art style and the customization for characters is amazing. But what really stands this MMO apart from the others is the amazing voice acting. It is better than Tortage in AoC, the only good part of that MMO. I just love going through this huge story that other MMOs just don't have.

I mentioned graphics, which are amazing and some of the best of any MMO. But the animations and cut scenes really make it. I've played SWTOR for about 10 hours now and having the most fun I've had in an MMO. My guy is a Sith Sorceror and its amazing going pewpewpew.

Also, the community is actually better than WoW's, which a lot of MMOs fail in that regard. There are people all over the place going about their business, chat isn't full of trolls complaining about WoW and getting groups is incredibly easy. This is probably a better grouping game than WoW, which already was good for groups.

Anyway I'll end this year as I know a lot are like "tldr"...so to sum it up: Best MMO since WoW, maybe the best MMO ever and everything about SWTOR is amazing. Never have I been so into a story in a game, MMO or not. Will definitely easily have 10 million subscribers or more if they keep coming out with updates.

Regardless of what the naysayers think I can see your point of view as a pve themepark I agree that TOR is the deepest and richest game to release since WOW (even more so than LOTRO) but they have quite a ways to go to reach and maintain the million sub mark let alone ten million.

See the biggest problem TOR has is pvp WOW kept many of it's players hooked and even grew with this style of gameplay but it is obvious from the reaction of those who prefer that style of gameplay that TOR has light years to go to appease these players.

I'm sure tons of people will have told you you are wrong and they in fact would be the ones who are wrong because what we think of a game is our own personal opinion (believe it or not folks some people will in fact play GW2 and not think it the greatest thing since sliced bread).

And that's ok too just glad you are enjoying yourself and hope that you keep finding pleasure in the game.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by raistlinm

Regardless of what the naysayers think I can see your point of view as a pve themepark I agree that TOR is the deepest and richest game to release since WOW (even more so than LOTRO) but they have quite a ways to go to reach and maintain the million sub mark let alone ten million.

See the biggest problem TOR has is pvp WOW kept many of it's players hooked and even grew with this style of gameplay but it is obvious from the reaction of those who prefer that style of gameplay that TOR has light years to go to appease these players.

I'm sure tons of people will have told you you are wrong and they in fact would be the ones who are wrong because what we think of a game is our own personal opinion (believe it or not folks some people will in fact play GW2 and not think it the greatest thing since sliced bread).

And that's ok too just glad you are enjoying yourself and hope that you keep finding pleasure in the game.

You do know it was a spoof post?
  • hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

Lol SWTOR isnt even the best Star Wars MMO ever made.

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

RIFT, SWG and many others are better than SWTOR

the OP  must be a commercial person from BioWare :)