Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: Legendary Membership Benefits

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The DC Universe Online site has been updated with information about new "legendary membership benefits" that will debut on Tuesday, April 3rd. The LMBs will include monthly Station Cash / Loyalty Points allotments, Promethium Lockboxes and Replay Badges.

Promethium Lockboxes will drop from random monsters and will contain unique, new, and powerful gear that can't be found elsewhere. Replay Badges allow players to reset their instance loot lockouts.

Read the full post on the DC Universe Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

These are nice additional benifits for those who put in regular monies.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Awesome@!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

So SoE finally makes its only game with a decent F2P model Pay to Win like the rest of them.

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

Now this is a perfect example of Pay to Win.  Shameful.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by khelbon

Until you step up and host the servers for free I challenge you to explain to us simple minded fools how these F2P games are supposed to make money?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Until you step up and host the servers for free I challenge you to explain to us simple minded fools how these F2P games are supposed to make money?

First, they could make a game worth paying for.

But I do agree with you. They are doing what they can with a game very few people want to play.

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

yay pay to win,... ya know it doesn't even matter, even after buying light and lightning powers, and then buying a few outfits,..its still just a boring boring game,this game is going to loose all the f2p people that were buying stuff ,..like ME

• BrodieBroosBrodieBroos Member Posts: 32
    Jesus what do you guys want a free mmo?! It's not pay to win its f2p. These items you can't buy off the store there is just a chance of a drop for THOSE OF US PAYING $14 A MONTH. You want a free mmo go play that minecraft mmo coming out until then stop your bitching, and stop being cheap and sub to a game.
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Here we go again pay to win

• Shawn964Shawn964 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by BrodieBroos

Jesus what do you guys want a free mmo?! It's not pay to win its f2p. These items you can't buy off the store there is just a chance of a drop for THOSE OF US PAYING $14 A MONTH. You want a free mmo go play that minecraft mmo coming out until then stop your bitching, and stop being cheap and sub to a game.

need to remember, for some people, its not because they are cheap but cant afford.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    F2P games will never stick around as long as pay to win is in play. GW2 microtransactions give no advantages to combat or gear. All paid items need to be cosmetic, fluff or time saving bonuses, or new content. Pay to win is lazy game development and a game that should be avoided.
  • fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

wow the hate towards the f2p people is worse than the hate for pay to win,..i have to say that i agree with nanfoodle gw2 is a good example of a free to play game with a well thought out micro payment market, and just so we can let you fellas that do not know what pay to win is, its when you have to buy something from a market or you can not compete with those willing to spend said money on things, thus making it a pay to win model, so FACT if you are a legendary sub you get lock boxes that drop that you may open because you PAID to play, FACT f2p and premium memebers can only unlcok the lock boxes if they A.become legendary(PAY) or B. PAY 2.50 for 1 key or 10.00 for 10 keys, FACT a free to play player who does not PAY for a key to open a lock box can not go toe to toe with a sub ,former sub,or other f2p players who did PAY to open the lock boxes, so the later 3 players WIN,thus the game has become pay to win..i hope that clearifies the pay to win debate, this is not a large amount of money, that fact does not change the model,i have personaly perchased everything but plaid items and skin in the market, this also does not change the model,i do not plan to play the game any more so do not bother telling me to go play minecraft,..that also does not change the model, so all you guys have is hate to spew towards us for pointing out the obvious.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I agree that it sounds like it is pay to win to me. Free to Play means I should be able to by stuff I want to have for my character (I bought all the DLC) because I like it. Not because I feel I need it. I wanted the costume parts I bought. I don't want to be getting boxes that I have to pay outrageous prices for that has gear in it. Depending on what the gear is on the stat side will determine a lot. If it is the same as other gear and costume parts but not requiring farming for it then I am ok with that. If it is superior gear then that sort of seals the deal with me playing the game. I play for short periods for fun. I enjoy that it is F2P as then I don't have to stay active to make it worth it. I am not really interested in PvP but I have never enjoyed a game with boxes that one has to spend money to open. 

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

#1 - monthly stipend is just smart.  No problem with Legendary accounts getting some Store credit in return for having a recurring subscription (i.e. higher chance of loyalty).

#2 - lock boxes.  No one knows what will be in these things.  It could be just like the Vault, which has very little that's not a style or flavour item.  Lock boxes will (based on the key prices) likely be quite rare, and it could go either way depending on the content.  If it is powerful gear - then yep, it's a Pay to Win model through and through.

#3 - raid resets.  Not strictly Pay to Win - as money doesn't convert directly to power, but it does allow people who pay to progress faster.  Same idea as an experience boost in concept.  Not good for the long-term health of the endgame if limits aren't put on how many can be used in a given time period.

It seems that SOE is trying to push the idea that to be effective at end game, a subscription is the desired way to go.  As it stands, it is actually impossible for a completely Free to Play player to play the full end game - and it will remain so given the intention of SOE to release all content in DLC expansions.

For those that compare GW2 to this and other Freemium MMOs, it's not an apples to apples comparison.  There would be no reasonable way for an existing MMO with falling subscriptions to convert to a Buy to Play.  DCUO is positioned as Free to download, Free to play the entire leveling experience, and free to play about half of the existing end game.  Anything after that and this new model really makes it a choice of subscribe or accept that you'll eventually hit a wall in progression.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Currently playing DCUO, and it was the only F2P game so far i could not see the advantage of subbing.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• masterpitermasterpiter Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

F2P games will never stick around as long as pay to win is in play. GW2 microtransactions give no advantages to combat or gear. All paid items need to be cosmetic, fluff or time saving bonuses, or new content. Pay to win is lazy game development and a game that should be avoided.

This is it.

But sadly 99% so called Free to play games are Pay to Win.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

I don't know if I'd call this pay to win so much as I would call this sub to win. Now granted a sub requires payment but a sub has a set price. You can't spend 50 dollars on keys and unlock more boxes then someone who pays the 15 dollar sub fee.

I never really considered this game to be f2p to begin with, I considered it more of a freemium model, and in those models people who sub always have an advantage over someone who doesn't.

Now if you can buy the boxes in the cashshop, or the put a cap on the amount a sub can unlock then it does fall into what I consider p2w.

Any current subscriber is actually getting more for the same money then they've been getting.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Well its not going to bother me any i will do like i did in every other mmo and throw them away cause they dont last forever and its not worth my time to buy keys. As for the rest of you who say buy to win every game that has a CS is pay to win in your book if you say it isn't you lie and yes you do cause sense GW2 anounced its CS it has been none stop every game with a store is pay 2 win. Now as for the rest ohh ahh the legendary players get a snipet of in CS moneys woop de doo still not gonna sub to it when I own everything I want from the store now.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I'm fine with it. Seeing as I subscribe when I play it.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

From my understanding this is only available to those who sub.  So how is this pay 2 win exactly?  Isn't that the usual complaint from the hybrid games, they have things in the cash shop that is only available in the cs.  This seems like the opposit.  This is something only available to those who sub.  So, in other words, the subscribers actually get access to everything in the game for once.

Edit:  Of course I could have missed something, making this post completely wrong, but this is how I understand the additions to be.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Its called legendary membership for a reason. The problem with the world today is that to many people have a sense of entitlement. Like everything should just be given to them.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

pay 2 win usually means gaining an advantage by plowing unseemly amounts of cash into the cash shop for ridiculou8s advantages.

paying 15 beans a month is NOT pay to win.  it's incentivising people to sub.  if they made a +10% chance for those items to drop consumable, and put those in the item shop and allowed people to buy enough of them so that those boxes dropped 100% of the time, then you'd have p2w..  this is more like sub2win which i think is exactly their point.

look at it this way, if you are f2p then the folks who are paying the 15 a month are paying so YOU don't have to, so if they get some more loot boxes or free SC or whatever it's no biggy.  they are paying their money and you aren't.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

By releasing content worth paying for? Instead of taking the easy way out and making it pay to win.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Shawn964

Originally posted by BrodieBroos

need to remember, for some people, its not because they are cheap but cant afford.

Then perhaps they should be persuing a different hobby.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Can someone please explain to me how it is pay 2 win if the good stuff isn't actually in the cash shop?

This discussion has been closed.