Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO was the biggest disappointment for you?

Comments

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by LadyNoh

Face of Mankind was mine. This requires abit more explanation, the only fault of the game itself was the combat was difficult and unfixable (this is mainly because the second your not a walking tank any player that joins turns it into a open world deathmatch.) but they had things that easily made up for it. Playerbased Economy meaning every item in the game needed to be mined and crafted to be put on the market. Factions that were set in number but completely player run. Colonies that another faction could attempt to walk in and take. Politics that ment that if you decided to randomly shoot someone you were going to feel a backlash.

And then the community killed it. the Player Run Senate got dropped because the Players didn't see a point in keeping it. Corperations acted more like Waring Countires, The game stopped being based on politics, Relations, Markets and War. then just became about Markets and War.

This became the worst type of Disappointment because it died slowly, and i spent close to 200-300 dollars paying a subscription.

Politics is irrelevant. The motivations of real world politics simply can't exist in games. In irl for instance we have demographics with diverging ideas. Pro choice vs pro life for example. Then various other gender issues, race issues, scarce resources, which is really what its all about, and so forth. 

Face of Mankind has none of those things. And in general the majority of persons irl were not spending time fighting. In MMOs its almost all about the fighting.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by theblurch

Made a poll, just to see if we can get some interesting voting results.

Wish I could have chosen more then one!

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• LazureusLazureus Member Posts: 26

The only one I can realy say that was a dissapointment in the way that I did not like it from the start and I thought I would is Age of Conan.

I played WoW from 2 month before TBC till 3 month into Cata, I don't know how long is that but it is most likely the game I have played the most in my life; thou I did play Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment so many time over and over it could still beat it. anyway.

I did not play for a lonf time in Aion (maybe 3 month including beta), Warhammer was very good concept but it was badly implimanted. I still like very much this whole game on paper plus the IP is awesome. I did play Rift for a year, I liked the dynamic stuff but in the end it got old. Played SWtOR like I would play a single player RPG, so I don't know if I would count it.

Depite behing a fan of Tolkien and Lord of the Rings in general, I never got into the game for some reason, the art style I think.

I played alot of EVE too but that too in the end started to bored me.

So those are all good game I realy liked and at one time or another realy enjoyed (exept AoC). Even back in the day when I was playing Everquest (my first MMO) I could always find something interesting... so no, not alot od dissapointment per say,

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Originally posted by Cuathon

Face of Mankind was mine. This requires abit more explanation, the only fault of the game itself was the combat was difficult and unfixable (this is mainly because the second your not a walking tank any player that joins turns it into a open world deathmatch.) but they had things that easily made up for it. Playerbased Economy meaning every item in the game needed to be mined and crafted to be put on the market. Factions that were set in number but completely player run. Colonies that another faction could attempt to walk in and take. Politics that ment that if you decided to randomly shoot someone you were going to feel a backlash.

And then the community killed it. the Player Run Senate got dropped because the Players didn't see a point in keeping it. Corperations acted more like Waring Countires, The game stopped being based on politics, Relations, Markets and War. then just became about Markets and War.

This became the worst type of Disappointment because it died slowly, and i spent close to 200-300 dollars paying a subscription.

Politics is irrelevant. The motivations of real world politics simply can't exist in games. In irl for instance we have demographics with diverging ideas. Pro choice vs pro life for example. Then various other gender issues, race issues, scarce resources, which is really what its all about, and so forth. 

Face of Mankind has none of those things. And in general the majority of persons irl were not spending time fighting. In MMOs its almost all about the fighting.

I spent maybe 1% of my time (the time i actually enjoyed) in that game fighting. and i loved that for it. MMOs being all about fighting is a opinion not a fact. ill agree motivations of real world politics were irrelevant, In Game politics was different. Discussing deals, forming alliances, supporting others. hell the game still has a elected president that has the power to write laws (which had to be agreed to by the senators) into the game which changes how the police faction operates. Factions who did not agree with those laws could potentially join the senate and petition the other senators to get the law repealed. Wars that attempted to force change by increasing a bodycount (since this game does have permadeath) weren't unheard of either.

So its not that Politics were irrelevant, it was that there was a seperate from RL Politics and IG politics.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

EQ2.  I played it for a week or two and totally hated it.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Warhammer

Worst disappointment in gaming for me.....worst EVER.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Cuathon

I spent maybe 1% of my time (the time i actually enjoyed) in that game fighting. and i loved that for it. MMOs being all about fighting is a opinion not a fact. ill agree motivations of real world politics were irrelevant, In Game politics was different. Discussing deals, forming alliances, supporting others. hell the game still has a elected president that has the power to write laws (which had to be agreed to by the senators) into the game which changes how the police faction operates. Factions who did not agree with those laws could potentially join the senate and petition the other senators to get the law repealed. Wars that attempted to force change by increasing a bodycount (since this game does have permadeath) weren't unheard of either.

So its not that Politics were irrelevant, it was that there was a seperate from RL Politics and IG politics.

I didn't say games should be about mostly fighting. I said they are. I was actually gonna say that NPCs were probs necessary for any sort of politics, which appears is true.

The thing about the politics in games is that they are too fluid and unimportant. How many times has an emergent empire risen up in most MMOs? I could do other examples. Politics in games seem r eally shallow, even more than most crafting, which should be impossible given crappy crafting in most games.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

Final Fantasy 14. I had such high hopes for this game after XI being the amazing game it was. Then my heart sank when i relised it would be nothing like the game it should have been.

I'm hoping 2.0 fulfills my FF nerd dreams.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

None, actually.  Quite frankly, I've never put enough faith into an MMO for it to dissapoint me, not including GW2.  If that disappoints, then you can add me to this poll next year.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

FFXIV, nothing even comes close.

• silverhazesilverhaze Member Posts: 5

My biggest disaapointment in a MMO-way was the introduction of NGE to SWG... completely destroyed the game for many ppl, including me. Damn SOE!

!hasta la victoria siempre!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

For me, sad to say it is SWTOR. I was SO looking forward to this game and got really caught up in the hype. From what Bioware were telling us this was THE game for me..... but it really didnt live up to that hype at all, for the same reasons as everyone else. 

A close second was AOC. Mostly because of Tortage. Playing through tortage was a joy and if the whole game was like that I would have been hooked. But once I got out to the "real" world, it just wasnt the same. it just seemed lifeless and I only managed to level my HoX to 30 something before quitting. The other downer was the way crafting was implemented. It was just too segregated from the rest of the game, like it was tacked on afterwards and wasnt really that useful anyway. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Originally posted by Bluehound17

Aion online simply because ncsoft doesnt know how to handle mmos like arena net does A lot of no animation hackers,glide hacks, gold buyers and so on thats why it went free to play. Even tho aoc would be on top of the list at least its making progress on updates,aion just keeps Sinking.

Remember, Aion was the second most played P2P mmo in the industry before going F2P ( in europe for now and on 11 April in US ). Not saying it was good at launch. Hell, even I ( which I was very hyped ) was dissapointed by the game. I quite at lvl 35 then came back when 1.9 went live. Then everything was changed , and I played the game for 14 months since then ( on and off ) ! And it does not "keeps sinking"! Mind you , follow the game if you would like to make fair accusations. The game is great , and it will be even greater when 3.0 will be live.

Hence, my biggest dissapointment was ... tanam .. LOTRO :) Didn't pre-order and such but played beta and I was like : Hm, this is NOT what Turbin have been saying and showing to us :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472

The disappointment was never with a single game.

The disappointment was with all the mmos that:

1. Made me grind,

2. Buy item shop stuff to try get higher levels and failing,

3. Made me buy the game for 3 months and getting frustrated every time I log back in to play after a month.

1. Where did the fun of grouping and role playing or asking for buffs at towns disappear?

2. Where did all this mad rush for the ultimate gear and weapon originated.

3. Where did they become too much time consuming and harder than your real life work and offered complete lack of player interaction?

Either,

• I got disappointed with games because they ripped me off with their item shop

Or,

• I got disappointed by games which got so hyped before release that the product felt really average after its official release.

All of them did disappointment me.

SWTOR,

LOTRO,

Age of Conan,

Earthrise,

EVE Online,

War-hammer Online,

Star Trek Online.

And I did compare them with all the fun I had in the populated world of AO (Anarchy Online) and World Of Warcraft.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Without any hesitation it's FFXIV.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Without a doubt for me, it would have to be Age of Conan.  So much hype.  So much fail within 3 months of release.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• twister2k33twister2k33 Member Posts: 3

So many to choose from. #1 would have to be Vanguard. I've never following a game so closely, for so long and never will again. That's the game that taught me to keep my expectations low.

#2 FFXIV. I'm a rabid FFXI fan and if not for Vanguard, this would have been #1 for me. Vanguard taught me to keep my expectations low but even I couldn't have predicted such an awful game.

#3 SWTOR. When I play this piece of crap all I can think is "God I mis pre-CU SWG".

#4 Warhammer: For all the reasons already stated.

Why can't someone create a good sandbox game? I'm really starting to worry that we've lost those forever. WOW destroyed them. I'm sad.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Ryl

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

While I did buy AoC and STO,  I knew that they would suck I just didn't want to believe myself.   For WAR and SWTOR I knew they would suck as well but with EA's name on it and because of AoC and STO I didn't buy them.   So really only one game ever really burned me and that was SWG.  Don't get me wrong I loved it but then SOE and LA keep screwing it up.  

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

SWTOR hands down, I bought the collector's edition and I have hated myself ever since plus I looked like retard walking out of Best Buy with that huge box.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

It's tough, but I would have to say AoC.  I was really looking forward to an amazing fantasy game set in the Conan universe, devoid of elves, trolls, and other cliches.  So much wasted potential.

Following close behind AoC is:

STO:  It could have been so much more than it is even today.  This is a huge waste of a boundless IP.

SWTOR:  (we all know why so I won't get into it again)

Every other Sci Fi MMO:  Is anyone going to get this right?  Ever?  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

If only I could pick more than one.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Fortunately for me there haven't been any recent unexpected disappointments, since I've learned how to read up on the contents of an upcoming MMO on their site and pick out which ones will be shitty ones. Although as stupid as it sounds sometimes I like a little bit of WoW-clone, given the things I've seen on this site for the ones I have chosen to avoid I have a 100% accuracy rate :)

Of course I wasn't always that cautious, so the ones that burned me long ago and made me learn to do these checks:

1) FlyFF: Starts out okay, but the amount of experience you need to gain each level at the higher levels increases far too much with respect to how much experience creatures at that level give you, to the point that you would have to grind equal-level opponents for HOURS just to gain one bloody level! To top it off, the player market went through such insane inflation that it was completely unreasonable.

2) Forsaken World: Can be best summarized by two three-word phrases, Guild Hall Dailies and Pay to Win. Enough said.

For the ones that I occasionally try these days, I get exactly what I expect from them (which usually isn't much), so I'm never really disappointed.

Where's the any key?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I have never been dissapointed by an MMO, ones I played I got what i expected out of them because I did not buy into hype and I read up a lot before buying knowing what I like about the game and being positive I will enjoy myself.

If I go into a title I am not sure about, I do not put expectations high either, so I get what I expected usually and sometimes I am surprised. I also do not look for every possible negative you can fin going into a game, although I know most people seem to do that.

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

aion most definitely. I bought the game and 3 months.

I even played the chinese beta and liked it but unfortunatly never managed to get to the abyss and try the pvp (which was the only thing i was looking for in that game). That would probably have saved me time and money. Never thought the pvp could be so bad in a game which mainly revolves around it.

Then played from release day 'til level ~40 and went back to lineage 2 with three and a half months left.

I'm still angry about that, not for the money wasted but for the really high expectations i had for this game.