Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO was the biggest disappointment for you?

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

FFXIV Not so much the launch which went rather smooth, but the diabolical lack of content. coming a close 2nd has to be SWtoR for many reasons which have already been covered numerous times to warrant me ranting even further.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Played it for 2 years followed it sinds 2003 but its prolly my biggest dissapointment even tho some how i still like it a little bit.

And the game is Darkfall what i thought it would be before 2008 and what it became after 2007 so many featers they dropped or where just lies plus community was big let down for me so many CHEATERS i lost for most part my whole faith in mmo's becouse of Darkfall.

Couse of downfall and my faith in mmo's prolly 2004 launched game hehe.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Honestly, ever MMORPG since EQ1, UO, DAoC.

SWTOR didn't disappoint me because I didn't expect very much from it at all and it was actually quite a nicely made game (compared to all the other trash MMORPG's on the market) and although I was disappointed it was a MMORPG and not a multiplayer singleplayer RPG, it wasnt really disappointing.

I know a lot of people will be disappointed with Guild Wars 2. So much hype it is ridiculous, lol...

But yea... disappointed in every game except until.... Vanguard! That was actually a great game, and one I would have absolutely LOVED! It was what Everquest 2 should have been, and a great game period.

However, it was horrendously buggy to the point of becoming a dead game abandoned by its unfortunate owners. During beta, when the game worked, it was an amazing experience that I had not had since Everquest 1.

So no, it isn't me, it's the disappointing games. They are no longer MMORPG's, they are singleplayer RPG's or crappy WoW clones or boring fail themeparks trying to parasite the WoW cash cow. All that are not trying to parasite the WoW cash cow are poorly funded games which suffer from either a lack of funding and talent (graphics) or indie-plagued User Interfaces or god-awful implementations of features most (funded) games dont have a problem implementing.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Oh dear, how depressing: Lotro, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Aion, EQ2, Rift .. the list goes on.  Maybe I expect too much?  Some of the disappointment might be to do with how easily bored I become with repitition and familiarity.

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Dark and Light - I was expecting a massive sandbox with tons of potential for exploration on a scale never before seen. What I got was pre-alpha and absolute trash.

Vanguard - I was expecting Everquest1 x 10, but what was delivered was a giant empty unfinished world.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I would say EQ2. Not that it was a terrible game at launch, but I was expecting it to at least feel like EQ.

Since then I learned not to let my expectations get away from me in regards to new games, so not many major disappointments from there on.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

1) FF 14

2) Warhammer online

3) SWToR

I think EA/Lucus arts/Bioware  sneaky ninja developed & published FF14.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Hrica

1) FF 14

2) Warhammer online

3) SWToR

I think EA/Lucus arts/Bioware  sneaky ninja developed & published FF14.

Actually from what I've heard, FF14 was not directly developed by SquareEnix. I'm not sure how true it is, but I heard the development of much if not all of the game was outsourced to a Chinese company that got fired after the initial launch went so poorly. SE's been working on recovering it since then.

Again, thats just what I heard. No idea if its true or not.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Final Fantasy XIV, Tabula Rasa, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Lord of the Rings Online...

So many more that I was fortunate enough to be in betas for, so I knew better than to actually buy them when they rolled out in their buggy "beta" states.

Some of the specific ones I listed were in some way associated with great predecessor, developer, or legendary IP, and it was my own fault for raising my expectations so high.

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481
    This would be a far more interesting thread if people gave the reasons why they felt burned. I have seen some trailers for TOR, but I am hesitant about buying it now. Why is it so disappointing? I know it normally takes a few patches for a game to start sorting out bugs, class nerfing, etc. So i was never going to buy it at launch. I thought it would be the closest hybrid of an mmorpg, mixed with the immersion of a single player crpg. Also with it being bioware (although i have noticed their greatness getting lesser with every release) but what is it that you hate about it. Surprised that WoW has barely had a mention, despite all the haters. Also was planning to try AoC and WAR, with them being freetoplay. Should i at least try them. Also Aion and DDO havd choose these models. My local gamestation have collectors edition boxes of FFIV. One of my first mmo´' was FFXI. I gave up after several months as it had an eastern type grind, and some bizzarre rituals that had to be performed by large groups of players to access end game material. However the ui was atrocious. I think it was because of the consolepc crossover, but i mever knew of any console players playing it. However i don't think the east west crossover worked either. It showed how the esstern players would show us up as community players. Their games seem so boring to us, because the play differently, not only are they more social, and the translation system was terrible, but they were all pure hardcore. Anyway, i thought FFIV would be well worth a try. It is thirteen quid for the box. What is it that i should keep away from it for. How is the ui, and how does it rank agsianst the first ff online game, and please give reasons. I also really want to try darkfall, as it sounds great, i love pvp looting, and other elements it is said to have. Again can you tell me why i should stay away?
  • JurredJurred Member UncommonPosts: 47

I agree the biggest disappointment overall is SWTOR. But personally for me the biggest gaming disappointment of my life was Warhammer Online....that shit still makes me sad.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    LOTRO by far. What it could have been (Sandbox - Middle Earth Online) instead we got a poor wow clone in just about every way.  :(

I completely forgot about Middle Earth Online...damn you >_>

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Man..um...so many.

FFXI: Hey, it's an MMO, and it's Final Fantasy! Oh wait, it's a horribly slow grind-fest with the clunkiest UI I've ever seen, and you can't play unless you're A) a white mage or B) friends with a White mage.

Tabula Rasa: Such promise..such failure.

MXO: It's the Matrix, and an MMO! Real-world martial arts with grapples and...what do you mean it's rock-paper-scissors?

FFXIV: Ooh it's pretty..hello job system...wait...it's FFXI all dressed up and still going nowhere.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I would say Star Trek Online, I was really expecting Star Trek to come alive and although the space game was ok (to much spamming the space bar) the ground game was awful and the quests were lacking. Outer space was a mess and the Skills were very confusing. Although STO has come along way you still are spamming the space bar, ground game  has gotten a little better and with the foundry there are some good quests.  I just dont think that STO compares to SWTOR at this time

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Jurred

I agree the biggest disappointment overall is SWTOR. But personally for me the biggest gaming disappointment of my life was Warhammer Online....that shit still makes me sad.

Being a triple-faction game with RvR potential, made by Mythic Entertainment no less, I had high hopes for WAR as well.

What I felt like we got instead was some horribly mutated, radioactive waste "flipper baby" amalgamation of a WoW-clone genetically spliced together with DAoC in some hideous unnatural manner like Seth "The Fly" Brundle.

Originally posted by Pyuk

Originally posted by Golelorn

AC2. Not even a contest.

Second place is Warhammer.

OOOoo, I forgot about AC2. I was so jazzed for this game, but raged soon after release.

remember the wierd tunnels you zoomed through as you teleported somewhere, it made me sick

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Easily.

Shadowbane, i hate the devs. they prmoised the world acted like it was in the game but it was just coded awfully.

Then WArhammer, while warhammer was not an god awful mmorpg (like shadowbane was) it was made by mythic and supposted to be the progeny of DAOC.. But it was WOW, with evented locals (good), bad background systems and engine (graphics, movement, combat, you name it), with some pvp areas tossed in and wow style pvp areas (just more of them). The daoc was all but 100% absent .. utter failure of what could have been the game, because mythic just KNEW what everybody was ALREADY PLAYING, and thought they wanted a clone of that. (Though i knew war would be this way b4 it released, so earily disapointment)

Other than that i have called failures quite squarly. Dam did i argue on these forums about ff14 , fanboi attack (Just listing its weakness could get you hammered by replies). No non wait listen here is the reality. Just like now people should be attacking GW2 on the lack of equipment value and further muted class system (instead of further divided/role type class system). Nope they are worried about someone buying gems... so dumb.

I loved the eariler concepts of tabula rasa,.... Lord British was sucessful at meanting 0 of them. Which was evident very earily.

PS- shout out to Earth above and beyond which was a FANTASTIC game at its core, with some love, investment and time the game could have been amazing.  Always wanted a combat system from that game and the rest from eve ... top notch game it would be.

Shadowbane? cmon dude, great suspensfull PvP action, but you are right it was coded poorly and had terrible lag

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

It was definately FFXIV for me. Luckily, I realized this in beta, and didn't waste money.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

I would also have to say Eve- who likes looking at a dark screen wih little dots on it, the PvE is horrid and i would fly around for hours in low space and high and never see anyone-awful game.     Tera may make my list also, slightly above average combat but with the worst story-quests I have ever seen in a non sand box game

Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

I would say FFXIV followed by Age of Conan followed by Warhammer Online followed by Star Trek Online followed by Aion followed by SWTOR.

World of Warcraft was fun for the 6 months I played. I never tried Earthrise. I did play EVE Online for like 6 months as well, but that game kicked my tushie.

FFXIV is easily the worst of the bunch in my nearly 13 years of MMO'ing. I would say nothing comes close. Age of Conan comes second because after you left newbie island (which was one of the best experiences I had) it left you in this very cold and saggy empty world. It's like Funcom came out of the screen and slapped my silly.

Warhammer Online and Star Trek Online are listed for obvious reasons. Aion is there simply because NCSoft and NCWest just didn't know how to take care of the game over here in the West (nor did it seem they cared enough). SWTOR was fun from level 1-49, but it felt like a very easy single player game.

Hey at least you had fun in swtor from 1-49 I cannot tell you how many games I did not make it to lvl 20  like Aion, champions online, dcuo, tabula rasa, ffx1 and 14, tera, sto, hello kitty(just kidding)

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

STO and Earthrise

Oh.. wait. Didn't buy those. But all others that I did purchase I don't have regrets. Certainly not with SWTOR, Aion,Eve, WAR, AoC, etc...

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    AoC, bought a new computer for it aswell
  • ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

Asheron's Call 2.... by a landslide.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Originally posted by Durray

Its a close one between FFXIV and SWTOR,

But I think SWTOR since I invested a lot more money into it and got very little inreturn (3 weeks)

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Both of these titles were supposed to be my next MMORPG. Unfortunately, they fell short because of a laundry list of problems. These were easily the most dissapointing MMORPG's of all time.

I chose SWTOR though, simply because the dissapointment is fresher on my mind and FFIX wasn't on the list.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Being that FFXI was my first real game crack.... I would have to say FFXIV was the biggest let down for me... even still after all this time it still there reminding of the horrible nightmare of it's release.