Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canceled My Sub (Another Whiney post)

Comments

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Gajari

There's nothing overly different in your generic quests out in the world after a while anyway. Aside from story quests, I was skipping through  most of the quests to get to the point by about level 20 if not sooner. A lot of people end up doing this. I'm playing WoW again at the moment, and I get more excitement from watching their little in-game cutscenes and events than I did from SWTOR's story system. The one exception is on the Esseles or Black Talon flash points the first couple times I ran them - those were fun as hell and me and the rest of the group always laughed our asses off at the responses each other had.

That quickly faded however. :(

That might apply to you, but I've heard enough people also state that they clicked away quests in other MMO's but liked the questing in SWTOR. In the same way people loved the questing in AoC in Tortage and hated it when it changed into the usual questing stuff after you left the island. I'm sure that there are enough people who clicked SWTOR quests away, but those were people who were clicking away quests in other MMO's anyway already. Some people just want the fetch or kill task and to reach level cap as soon as possible.

Not that I think that all quests in SWTOR are so magnificent or brilliant, far from. But as a leveling mechanic, story infused (cutscene/dialogue choices) quests beat textwall quests and mob grinding, imo of course. But I'm looking forward to them in TSW and GW2's Personal Story as well, just as I liked them in AoC's Destiny Quests and SWTOR's class quests.
  • SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by Four0Six

Originally posted by Theocritus

Games like SWTOR always scare me...The high intial price tag and the insane hype are almost always going to be a huge letdown at some point......The OP also made a reference to Rift saying they at least brought something to the table.....Well I have to disagree....If you had played Warhammer (which is where alot of the RIft devs came from) you would realize they basically took the public quests, gave them a slightly different look, and renamed them as Rifts....It was nothing new.

Rift was more of a letdown to me since I figured SWTOR would suck. Im still playing SWTOR, and uninstalled Rift.

In the begining I said, RIFT took all the good and got rid of all the bad....then I just said, this is a preaty WOW with PQs, then the population died.

Now it is basicly free, which tells me the pop is still dead. Except for the few "L33T" guilds that server hop to get world firsts.

Rift has its good and bad points. It seems that ppl are looking for a one size fit all MMO. Personally I dont think one size fit all MMO will ever exist.

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

OP, I agree the game is bad but calling it a WoW clone is crazy.

You cant call a game a clone of another when it only has a few aesthetics from and when those asthetics arent even orginally from that game. WoW introduced very FEW things to the MMORPG world....TOR is closer to Guild Wars just for being instanced than it is to WoW.

TOR is not fail because its a clone of any game, TOR is fail because a decent sized portion of the beta test group shot down anyone and everyone that tried to speak about what the game was missing completely, lacking in or was doing poorly. CONSUMERS need to start working together during betas to get the COMPANY to provide the SERVICE we are expected to pay for.

No more excuses, either be part of the solution and force companies to stop making mediocre games....or shut it because you are THE problem.

No company will make a product they think consumers dont want...use your voices and stop thinking you dont have any power and for gods sake stop trolling topics with people wanting to improve a game and support them or dont post at all.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Soopaman

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by trash656

Originally posted by Zarynterk

I aint mad at ya homie... The game is a 5 out of 10 at best... the instancing is ridiculous and the PVP is a complete joke. They would have been better served just giving us an updated version of SWG lol, me thinks people would be much, much happier.

thanks my friend, and yes I agree with you. SWG PRE NGE was the best MMO I had ever played.

If SWG was such a great game prior to pre NGE. Why did the game fail so badly. Its not like SWG was a great game. It had lots of problems that needed to be fixed. You cant compare the 2 because they are not the same.

It didn't help really that SOE dropped wow in space onto an unsuspecting sandbox crowd whilst chasing WoW like numbers, thus going from 250k to 50k very fast, as the original players left but the WoW crowd carried on enjoying WoW and didn't switch to NGE.

If SWG was doing well they would have never considered the NGE in the first place.

Lets be honest. SWG was doomed do to failure and this is because SOE never fixed the problems prior to CU and NGE. I personally enjoyed SWG up too CU. But not once had SOE tried to address the problems with SWG. Personally SWG had the best crafting system of any game I have played. But thats was about it.

Actually SWG was doomed because it was released almost 12 months early, had ZERO content and didnt have any vehicles/mounts to get around the huge worlds. 

Oh and for $10  guess who was the boss of that game too ;)

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Rift has its good and bad points. It seems that ppl are looking for a one size fit all MMO. Personally I dont think one size fit all MMO will ever exist.

Depends on what your size is.

Asherons Call fit my idea of perfect MMORPG. Fast action oriented, little bit better than good crafting, a skill system that you could ROYALLY screw up and gimp your character with actually allowing you to ROLEPLAY a disfunctional character...I mean come on...I made a spear weilding war mage with no melee defense or healing abilities just for shits and giggles...it had a basic well functioning guild system, housing that could be decorated with trophies won in the field...a magic system that to this day is still the best in the history of MMORPGs. combat with more options than most MMORPGs, being able to not only swing high/medium/low but with various damage types that actually must be changed according to what you are fighting. Swing, slash, bludgeon, stab with elemental damages, fire, frost, acid, lightning.

Facing a normal golem your best bet is bludgeon or acid and to swing low at the legs.

Facing a Tusker...fire or stab/slash and swing high.

Every single mob in the game had 2-3 damage types they were very weak against and some strong defense against plus a weakness to a postion of their body.

The magic system was insane, 4 types, war, life, creature and item....creature magic alone had over...350 spells. Yes, over 350 spells in that ONE type of magic. insane.

PvP was pure insanity with the best players dueling for over 20 MINUTES before someone going down.

Crafting covered everything, alchemy, fletching, cooking and tinkering (weapons/armor/items all in one), if you couldnt make it, you could improve it via tinkering from changing the color of an item to improving the items stats.

You will never see another Asherons Call, thanks to whiney crybaby players that ruined their characters via open choice skills to create the type of character YOU wanted...the consumers drive the market and the market is overrun with idiots that dont want to think...they outnumber the smart ones greatly.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by smh_alot

There's nothing overly different in your generic quests out in the world after a while anyway. Aside from story quests, I was skipping through  most of the quests to get to the point by about level 20 if not sooner. A lot of people end up doing this. I'm playing WoW again at the moment, and I get more excitement from watching their little in-game cutscenes and events than I did from SWTOR's story system. The one exception is on the Esseles or Black Talon flash points the first couple times I ran them - those were fun as hell and me and the rest of the group always laughed our asses off at the responses each other had.

That might apply to you, but I've heard enough people also state that they clicked away quests in other MMO's but liked the questing in SWTOR. In the same way people loved the questing in AoC in Tortage and hated it when it changed into the usual questing stuff after you left the island. I'm sure that there are enough people who clicked SWTOR quests away, but those were people who were clicking away quests in other MMO's anyway already. Some people just want the fetch or kill task and to reach level cap as soon as possible.

Not that I think that all quests in SWTOR are so magnificent or brilliant, far from. But as a leveling mechanic, story infused (cutscene/dialogue choices) quests beat textwall quests and mob grinding, imo of course. But I'm looking forward to them in TSW and GW2's Personal Story as well, just as I liked them in AoC's Destiny Quests and SWTOR's class quests.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of GW2's personal story! Even though news coming in from the beta are saying they're probably the weakest part. I honestly am liking GW2's questing system... get away from the exclamation point over NPC heads and having to accept quests - just have it all unfold in front of you while you're actively doing something.  That's the stuff!

In SWTOR, I think they should have cut out half the quests they put into the game, and just have an awesome story quest chain for each area to really get you involved, with side quests popping up like is happening already as you travel around. Focusing on a major story event for each planet that spans a long chain would have made the questing more engaging and fun rather than throwing a bunch of random stuff at us from a bunch of different NPC's.

But yeah, this is just my opinion, as well.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of GW2's personal story! Even though news coming in from the beta are saying they're probably the weakest part. I honestly am liking GW2's questing system... get away from the exclamation point over NPC heads and having to accept quests - just have it all unfold in front of you while you're actively doing something.  That's the stuff!

In SWTOR, I think they should have cut out half the quests they put into the game, and just have an awesome story quest chain for each area to really get you involved, with side quests popping up like is happening already as you travel around. Focusing on a major story event for each planet that spans a long chain would have made the questing more engaging and fun rather than throwing a bunch of random stuff at us from a bunch of different NPC's.

Yes, but it's an interesting one. So you would prefer to have the quests sprung on you as opposed to knowing where they are in advance. I could see how that would be appealing.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Yes, but it's an interesting one. So you would prefer to have the quests sprung on you as opposed to knowing where they are in advance. I could see how that would be appealing.

Yup. I also think the side quests that pop up should have some basic ones that always happen, but in order to encourage people to think outside of the box in regards to what is happening, there should be things going on that if you do things a certain way (say with choices, or by finding an item, or something) , possibly explore and find an NPC off the beaten path, whatever, you could find side quests that others might not, or possibly even change the main story quest you're on to something different because of choices or side quest-related stuff, so that it's somewhat dynamic and not quite as linear and people would have something other than light/dark side choices and class change when they roll an alt.

In any case, I find it funny that you're like this amazing hero in games, smart as hell, powerful, yet you can't make your own decisions about what needs to be done in areas. You're always looking to someone else to TELL you what needs to be done.

I say get a basic rundown of the situation in the area, then instead of having a quest tracking thing come up telling you what to do, instead, you add to the quest tracker as you get out there and start exploring and killing and as you continuously find out new things and add to it/accomplish tasks, you will progressively find your way to the ultimate threat of the area that could either just be a quick kill, an instance/group content, whatever. There shouldn't be any NPC's to click on, they should just give you a heads up when you get close in a VO/chat bubble, and that'll add something new to be done (some side quests being optional, but helpful and rewarding if done.)

I very much agree with GW2's idea of not having to group up in  order to be in a group as well. There should be no (or very few) instances in an MMO, just group areas where anyone that enters is basically part of the same event.

I don't know if that all even made sense, I'm tired as hell, but anyway, that's what I'm thinking.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Originally posted by jtcgs

OP, I agree the game is bad but calling it a WoW clone is crazy.

You cant call a game a clone of another when it only has a few aesthetics from and when those asthetics arent even orginally from that game. WoW introduced very FEW things to the MMORPG world....TOR is closer to Guild Wars just for being instanced than it is to WoW.

TOR is not fail because its a clone of any game, TOR is fail because a decent sized portion of the beta test group shot down anyone and everyone that tried to speak about what the game was missing completely, lacking in or was doing poorly. CONSUMERS need to start working together during betas to get the COMPANY to provide the SERVICE we are expected to pay for.

No more excuses, either be part of the solution and force companies to stop making mediocre games....or shut it because you are THE problem.

No company will make a product they think consumers dont want...use your voices and stop thinking you dont have any power and for gods sake stop trolling topics with people wanting to improve a game and support them or dont post at all.

Take the VOs out and tell me what TOR brought that's not in WoW? Any 'game' that states VOs is one of it's core features is not a game near as much as it's a interactive cartoon. In fact I'll go as far to say that TOR is more WoW than WoW. They took from WoW and dumbed them down even further LOL.

We can't lay all this on the baby bata testers ganging up on the adults. EA never had any intentions to give the game any complexity. Beta was nothing more than mild stress testing at best. Tester's inputs were only taken and not read, only there to give an illusion of a customer's concerns have merit.

How priceless will it be to have a phone tap with EA and LA executives trying to figure out where they are going wrong now that the majority of gamers are backing away from this game to end all games as it was thought of before release? My bet is they are so out of touch that they are blaming everything from gas prices to Madanna getting YouTube banned instead of blaming themselves.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

I don't want to have to play a poor SPRPG in order to get to a husk of an MMO.

Shrug. Not really an answer on my post. I said that it's important that leveling to level cap should be made entertaining as well, and that the story based approach to quest leveling as seen in AoC's Destiny quests, and SWTOR/TSW/GW2 (Personal Story) quests is a more fun way to level than textwall quests or mob grinding. If you prefer textwall quests and mob grinding as main method of leveling, well, good for you I guess.

It is important. But swtor actively turned me off questing by putting in such a shallow story.

They also recycled the majority of the "content" so that levelling an alternative becomes an extremely dull process as you've done most of the quests before. 

If they want to use story as their main draw then they need to do more work. And also come up with a way to get end game story going

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

got, kk

I self identify as a monkey.

• Coltaine00Coltaine00 Member Posts: 52

lol @ the dude trying to be critical about the OP playing for 3 months.

As a PvP player, you need to spend a significant amount of time leveling a character to endgame (since this is where the competitive PvP takes place, ok tanner?)  this is where you can actually judge whether or not a game has the proper tools to be a solid PvP game.  To actually master game mechanics a lot of players try out each different character once or at least spend some time researching it. 

3 months isn't a long time either - not sure how much time the OP put in, but it takes almost an hour a night (90 or so hours) to get to endgame.  Then you have to gear up in PvP, etc.

It takes a while to make a judgement, hence why I finally cancelled my account after 2.5 months.

But thanks for the input tanner, it was welcome.

• BigLuvinBigLuvin Member Posts: 11

OP I think you are right on whether or not those playing the game right now want to agree.  I also spent 3 months leveling and spending time on endgame and came to the same conclusions.  To Tanner, we played 3 months so we could experience leveling as well as spend some time at end game.  I don't find this a very surprising amount of time at all.

The leveling experience was enjoyable for the most part but once you have done that with 1 character, it's hard to redo that with another one considering you are going through 70% of the same quests on the same planets.  Crafting burns more resources than you actually get out of it, instanced PvP against the same people gets old, and running the same easy (and buggy) raids gets old too.

No one has really mentioned the biggest killer of this game, the population.  I unsubbed before this really became an issue on my server but even when I was playing it was a constant LFG spam session in general chat most nights.  I have a buddy that still plays on that server and he can't even do most of the content now because of population issues.

I also wish I would not have wasted the $100 I spent playing this game and 300+ hrs of my life.  It's all hindsight of course.  I guess I just wanted to see what the endgame was like so I kept grinding it out hoping it would get better.  I'll wait and see what GW2 has to offer (at least no sub fee).

• dibbandibban Member Posts: 2
    Cna i ahve yo stuff?
  • BigLuvinBigLuvin Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by dibban

Cna i ahve yo stuff?

Made it rain on some n00bs before I left, handed out 200k to about 5-6 people on the starter planets.  The reactions were great but I made them duel me just for fun.

I've certainly never found that MMO either, then again I'm just looking for a fun game to play. I 'm not out to live a second life in a video game.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I'll never understanding posting cancel threads on this website, or any other website that isn't an affiliation to the actual game. You think BioWare or EA are going to read this? Be useful and post it on their forums when you cancel,[mod edit]

Originally posted by Valentina

I'll never understanding posting cancel threads on this website, or any other website that isn't an affiliation to the actual game. You think BioWare or EA are going to read this? Be useful and post it on their forums when you cancel, otherwise stfu.

I'm curious why this hasn't already been moved over to the Reviews & Impressions section where it actually belongs.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Actually OP you made me realize my main problem with this game, you are right it didn't really add any new game mechanics to the table... which every other game that copied WoW at least did that.

Ugh and I loved SWTOR...  really did... but I feel like I beat the game and I'm done with it... no MMO has ever given me a sense of completion like SWTOR did.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Zarynterk

I aint mad at ya homie... The game is a 5 out of 10 at best... the instancing is ridiculous and the PVP is a complete joke. They would have been better served just giving us an updated version of SWG lol, me thinks people would be much, much happier.

I can honestly say SWG2, 'SWG done well, working, quality' would have been a lot better imho.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Valentina

I'll never understanding posting cancel threads on this website, or any other website that isn't an affiliation to the actual game. You think BioWare or EA are going to read this? Be useful and post it on their forums when you cancel, otherwise stfu.

Because anyone looking to get an impression of the game can read it, along with your review if you have done one and thus can make a more informed decision. Don't like them, stop reading them.
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Sauron,hear me.

Its time to forge new Star Wars MMO.

just to rule them all..

Thanks in advance mr Sauron.

Let's internet

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It didn't help really that SOE dropped wow in space onto an unsuspecting sandbox crowd whilst chasing WoW like numbers, thus going from 250k to 50k very fast, as the original players left but the WoW crowd carried on enjoying WoW and didn't switch to NGE.

If SWG was doing well they would have never considered the NGE in the first place.

As a long time -PREcuSWG fanboi.... this. ANyway, @OP how did it take you 3 months to figure out the mechanics in SWTOR? They're the same basic mechanics we've seen in every major release since 04.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VilemVilem Member Posts: 1

Played SWTOR since release, cancelled last week and went back to DAoC (yes really!). I played WoW, AO, Shadowbane, DAoC and SWTOR and I can say that the main thing that sets SWTOR apart from the others is that it never ever felt like an MMO. I never needed anyone to do anything in the game whatsoever, leveled 2 characters to 50 (sage and sentinel) on my own without ever grouping with anyone.

I play MMO's for the PvP aspect so me cancelling my subscription is no surprise, the PvP in SWTOR was mediocre at best. Warzones don't cut it, instancing PvP makes it sterile and takes out any element of surprise from the game. I didn't get much of a chance to experience Ilum, it was pretty much dead on my server (Ajunta Pall).

I wish I had more time to type what I think about the state of MMO's nowadays but I don't!

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Heh. The funny thing is that you have people saying how you can play SWTOR completely solo and how big of a problem that is and at the same time in the same thread people complaining about how some can't play most of the content because the lack of finding groups.

It pays to be a thoroughbred allround sceptic outsider and that I take all posts from everyone with a healthy dose grain of salt image