Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's the players not the game

1234568»

Comments

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Originally posted by NasherUK

It IS the players.   A lot of stuff was removing in beta due to some players whining, like companions being able to die or leave you perminantly (even after multiple warnings, people still moaned after they died until they changed it).

They made it more wow-like because people kept crying on the forums, now after launch many people have gone to TOR because WOW is now crap and are crying because they want it to be less wow-like...

That sounds exactly the opposite of the beta I was in. The game was a WoW clone when I started beta already. /shrug

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

To be honest who cares if it is the players or not, if Bioware doesn't satisfy it's players ToR will die and all the crying in the world won't change that. It didn't satisfy me and I don't play any more and I couldn't give a toss if they closed the servers tomorrow.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

You can blame both players and the game (devs), players abusing flawed design (tank assassin that does tons of dps, pyro powertechs that kill you in seconds due to back to back to back rocket punch or railshot procs (yes it really does happen, happens on mine), scounderal/operatives double striking you, etc) and the result is hurting the pve side with class nerfs (or so called balance). The longer backstab cooldown and damage reduction and energy cost on operative is going to make pve more difficult, good thing my operative is a healer since that gets buffed, I understand the purpose of a fixed timer behind combustable gas chamber procs on pyrotech and damage reduction on tracer missile (and damage boost on heatseaker) but I don't understand the heat cost on bodyguard heals, damage and cast nerf behind merc's powershot and critical chance % nerf on hired muscle, may just as well remove power shot from the toolbar as it gets interrupted an awful lot during combat and will do tickle damage.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by rdrpappy

Kind of expounding on the "Fourth Pillar", I cant help but point out the real line between happy subscribers and unhappy unsubscribers is play style.

I've said it before, big title mmorpg's brought many new players into the fold, gone are the days of the close knit, die hard "yes M'lady" crowd from rpg games like EQ.

The reoccuring theme with the bulk of unhappy ex players is the way they typically play the game, (a quick caviot) I don't mean every single person fits this mold so use common sense at will.

You hear it time and again, people play a little of the starter worlds quests,  they pee vee pee non stop,  the planet quests turn grey, they jam through the personal story and hit 50 in a week or two.

The same people will tell you how much they hate the planets and the linear quests and so on, open world pvp is all that matters ect. even though most of them haven't seen anymore of the individual worlds outside of the flight paths to the class quests they jammed through.

It's the way I and many others played Warcraft, rip through the levels, get to endgame so you can farm gear in the arena or raids, and then quit because you are bored.

I am utterly content to play my character, fly to a planet and entrench myself in the content, levels happen with a story unfolding from talking, living beings in the worlds.

Sorry if this rpg game didn't meet your fps style, contrary to the silly and typical sky is falling crowd here, the game is still in existence and after a few months now, developement is ongoing to make it better.

Well better if you like role playing games anyway.

got about a page in before seeing people supplanting there ownfeelings about the game with the state of the game.  My feeling is the more people you get to try your game the more people there will be who won't like it so none of the folks who come here screaming they think the game is this or that surprises me.  What I'm waiting for is to see where the game stabalizes before agreeing that my preffered style of game play is becoming obsolete.

I think you are onto something though because there is no shortage of posts by people who readily admit to having actually reached level fifty and then declare their hatred of the game.  I still struggle to understand how to spend the time it takes to reach level fifty in a game I am not enjoying.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Matt_UK

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Sorry if this rpg game didn't meet your fps style,

Lol...do some of you really believe this type of nonsense or are you simply trying to get a rise out of people?

I think he really believes it's a Roleplaying Game. Bizarre.

/me tips hat.
  • LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Kind of expounding on the "Fourth Pillar", I cant help but point out the real line between happy subscribers and unhappy unsubscribers is play style.

I've said it before, big title mmorpg's brought many new players into the fold, gone are the days of the close knit, die hard "yes M'lady" crowd from rpg games like EQ.

The reoccuring theme with the bulk of unhappy ex players is the way they typically play the game, (a quick caviot) I don't mean every single person fits this mold so use common sense at will.

You hear it time and again, people play a little of the starter worlds quests,  they pee vee pee non stop,  the planet quests turn grey, they jam through the personal story and hit 50 in a week or two.

The same people will tell you how much they hate the planets and the linear quests and so on, open world pvp is all that matters ect. even though most of them haven't seen anymore of the individual worlds outside of the flight paths to the class quests they jammed through.

It's the way I and many others played Warcraft, rip through the levels, get to endgame so you can farm gear in the arena or raids, and then quit because you are bored.

I am utterly content to play my character, fly to a planet and entrench myself in the content, levels happen with a story unfolding from talking, living beings in the worlds.

Sorry if this rpg game didn't meet your fps style, contrary to the silly and typical sky is falling crowd here, the game is still in existence and after a few months now, developement is ongoing to make it better.

What about those players that do not 'race' through content, but still find TOR not to be enjoyable? 

Imo, I think it is evident that the game miscalculated the market, rather than being that a few customers are just QQing.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by jtcgs

Originally posted by ktanner3

Actually its more like...

Consumer follows development of product for two years

Other consumers tell him that this isn't the game for him

Consumer buys product anyway

As expected, consumer doesn't like it

Consumer then spends every day of his life trashing a product he should have never bought in the first place.

That is such a crock.

This is a product that is under an NDA until near release, long after the pre-order is set up and open to the public. Most consumers must rely on the information being allowed to be made available by the company. In ANY OTHER FIELD this would be false advertising and misleading the public.

And the second WORST thing about it...its the only field where there are consumers DEFENDING the practice and trying to shut down anyone that speaks out...THE worst thing about it, is that the people they are shutting down...are people wanting the product IMPROVED!

wait a minute, you are complaining about the SAME THING you previously was praising Arenanet for doing with GW2, lol. 

"This is a product that is under an NDA until near release, long after the pre-order is set up and open to the public. Most consumers must rely on the information being allowed to be made available by the company. In ANY OTHER FIELD this would be false advertising and misleading the public."

I had to re-read it jsut to make sure. Yup you are complaining about the SAME THING that Arenanet is doing with GW2. The irony, lol.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Nevulus

Originally posted by jtcgs

Originally posted by ktanner3

Actually its more like...

Consumer follows development of product for two years

Other consumers tell him that this isn't the game for him

Consumer buys product anyway

As expected, consumer doesn't like it

Consumer then spends every day of his life trashing a product he should have never bought in the first place.

That is such a crock.

This is a product that is under an NDA until near release, long after the pre-order is set up and open to the public. Most consumers must rely on the information being allowed to be made available by the company. In ANY OTHER FIELD this would be false advertising and misleading the public.

And the second WORST thing about it...its the only field where there are consumers DEFENDING the practice and trying to shut down anyone that speaks out...THE worst thing about it, is that the people they are shutting down...are people wanting the product IMPROVED!

wait a minute, you are complaining about the SAME THING you previously was praising Arenanet for doing with GW2, lol. 

"This is a product that is under an NDA until near release, long after the pre-order is set up and open to the public. Most consumers must rely on the information being allowed to be made available by the company. In ANY OTHER FIELD this would be false advertising and misleading the public."

I had to re-read it jsut to make sure. Yup you are complaining about the SAME THING that Arenanet is doing with GW2. The irony, lol.

LOL! What's even more ironic, is that he is just plain wrong. There was more than enough information available about this game before release. Anyone that says differently is just lying through his teeth. All they have to to do is go back to the threads people made talking about how they were canceling their pre-orders after playing Open BETA.

In the end it is up to the consumer. If they are unsure about a game, then they shouldn't buy it. Period. 

But I do get joy out of watching the GW2 fanatics getting called on their hypocrisy. ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by raistlinm

got about a page in before seeing people supplanting there ownfeelings about the game with the state of the game.  My feeling is the more people you get to try your game the more people there will be who won't like it so none of the folks who come here screaming they think the game is this or that surprises me.  What I'm waiting for is to see where the game stabalizes before agreeing that my preffered style of game play is becoming obsolete.

I think you are onto something though because there is no shortage of posts by people who readily admit to having actually reached level fifty and then declare their hatred of the game.  I still struggle to understand how to spend the time it takes to reach level fifty in a game I am not enjoying.

I played until i reached level 50, then unsubbed. I figured, why unsub with a half leveled character and not at least get my $60.00 out of it. Honestly, at around level 20 i started to see the game for what it really was, a SPRPG with coop features. I played through the 3 acts of story and once at the end of it all, longed for a real mmo virtual world game that was more like SWG pre-cu. As time has passed since my time in TOR, i have grown more frustrated and disappointed with MMO's in general and especially Bioware for making such a piece of crap game that in my opinion totally destroys the SW IP in the process. I've said this before on numerous occasions. If Bioware wanted to get into the mmo genre, i wish they would have used their own ME IP to do so and just left anything with SW alone.

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

The original poster is obviously trolling, juding on the title of the thread alone. I wasn't even going to throw my 2 cents in but the guy above me was talking about how SWTOR killed the star wars IP. I think it killed future star wars MMOs for sure but in my opinion every star wars game has been crap or average at best. For some reason nobody can do star wars right.

Galaxies pre-cu was the only game out of all of them that made you feel like you were actually apart of the world, so i'll make that the exception. It still didnt hold my attention tho.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Originally posted by nyxium

Universe: It's not me it's the bloody planets to blame! Look over there, it's the goodyear blimp! Exit stage left.

Ah, at least something to laugh about in this thread! It's so sad posts threads like these. The game is perfectly fine, it's the players that are too dumb to play it properly and enjoy it. You'd hope that would be an all time low on these forums, but I guess we'll see worse soon enough.

LOL. 'It's the customers' fault'.

I'm sorry but any economist will tell you that's idiotic. 

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Not even George Lucas can do Star Wars right.  Just look at the prequels, 3 of the worst movies of all time.  http://www.chefelf.com/starwars/ep1.php.  Star Wars is just an exploited IP without any real depth.  The original 3 movies were good but it really ends there.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!