Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stationary bosses are stationary

12346»

Comments

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Sorry, but I find those arguments pretty weak. I'd only have to refer to EQ where you had giants 10-15 times larger than the players where there were no problems with them moving around and chasing players without them making 1 mile steps. If EQ 10 years ago can handle large boss monsters, walking and flying ones, move around and players being entertained fighting them, having large boss monsters move around in current MMO's like GW2 and fight players should be a non-issue as well.

I'd use other arguments instead, like:

- those boss monsters are exceptionally large, larger than boss monsters in other MMO's (just compare boss dragons in GW2 and WoW). I can see how this could have an influence on the decision to move them around much or only slightly

- who says that all boss mobs in GW2 are stationary, and not just the exceptionally large, mega ones? There were several mentioned in dungeons that chased players around for some distance.

You mean like the giant cyclops boss in GW2? A good 10 to 15 times as large as players at least and fully mobile.

We're talking about the big ones however, not those babies.

? Was this commentary an addition on what I was already saying or a disagreeing with it?

Seems like it's the same as what I was already saying.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Volkon

Sorry, but I find those arguments pretty weak. I'd only have to refer to EQ where you had giants 10-15 times larger than the players where there were no problems with them moving around and chasing players without them making 1 mile steps. If EQ 10 years ago can handle large boss monsters, walking and flying ones, move around and players being entertained fighting them, having large boss monsters move around in current MMO's like GW2 and fight players should be a non-issue as well.

I'd use other arguments instead, like:

- those boss monsters are exceptionally large, larger than boss monsters in other MMO's (just compare boss dragons in GW2 and WoW). I can see how this could have an influence on the decision to move them around much or only slightly

- who says that all boss mobs in GW2 are stationary, and not just the exceptionally large, mega ones? There were several mentioned in dungeons that chased players around for some distance.

You mean like the giant cyclops boss in GW2? A good 10 to 15 times as large as players at least and fully mobile.

We're talking about the big ones however, not those babies.

? Was this commentary an addition on what I was already saying or a disagreeing with it?

Seems like it's the same as what I was already saying.

Probably... too many varying viewpoints, getting wires crossed.

So... um... YEAH! I agree with him! (For now)

Oderint, dum metuant.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by mrshroom89

So far every big boss fight i have seen in the world for these dynamic events have stood in one place, not moving from their spawn location once.  The dragons will fly up in the air for a few seconds and then just land on the ground in the same exact place...

So whats so different from wow here?  i see danger spots on the ground, i see adds spawning from either portals or out of water, a few abilities that appear to be on timers that require the player to react somwhat quickly, some positioning AOEs and 20 people standing around 1 giant mob repeatedly attacking it not actually doing anything to it other than widdling down an hp bar.

Obviously it all looks alot better (10 years later it better)  than wow but thats not what im getting at.  Simply put it appears that though Anet has stated there going away from traditional mmo models it appears that boss fights havnt changed one bit.

Examples of 3 boss fights 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RpX9oAaSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1JfSbKjHHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kFKFqzRhXKs#!

In its absolute most basic form you are right. But its rather lazy to not mention that the boss difficulty scales based on amount of people. Not only its health but skills and damage done to players. It would also be lazy to say the encounters would feel the same yet not mention that the trinity in its traditional sense is gone. The way GW2 does things even a stationary boss is going to be quite diffrent than someone tanking, someone healing, and the rest beating on the boss. I'm not saying its going to be great or terrible. But only at its most basic form is it the same and to make an argument about something at its most basic form without counting in all the other factors is a lazy argument.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Jetrpg

The super big bosses are rather stationary, in turn their effects, spawns etc. are not. There are a lot of different abilities and strats for bosses however.

I have not seen a new mmo  that has very active bosses , plus regularly use of different combat styles.

Darkfall dragons fly around a huge area and kill helpless noobs passing by and slaughter peoples mounts with fireballs as they try to ride nearby.

My blog: image

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

The super big bosses are rather stationary, in turn their effects, spawns etc. are not. There are a lot of different abilities and strats for bosses however.

I have not seen a new mmo  that has very active bosses , plus regularly use of different combat styles.

Tera wants a word with you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDd2oVND4c

How boss fights should be.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by Vunak23

No offense, not seeing anything world shattering there. Mostly tank-n-spank. There's a jump move the boss does that the lancer seems to largely not care about. The only real movement came after 20% when it started dropping void circle thingies in the ground and the Lancer had to pull the boss away. 

I've seen WoW have more maneuvering required.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by terrant

No offense, not seeing anything world shattering there. Mostly tank-n-spank. There's a jump move the boss does that the lancer seems to largely not care about. The only real movement came after 20% when it started dropping void circle thingies in the ground and the Lancer had to pull the boss away. 

Ya... honestly I'd rather take the giant stationary dragons to that thing. While it'd be cool to have them moving around more, the fight looks a lot more fun than tank & spank.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Originally posted by aesperus

Ya... honestly I'd rather take the giant stationary dragons to that thing. While it'd be cool to have them moving around more, the fight looks a lot more fun than tank & spank.

Can never win with GW2 fanboi's. But yes that is probably one of the more stationary fights in the game. There is another boss in that instance that jumps up in tree's and all kinds of other shit (couldn't good find a video of it though). The first boss you fight in the game at lvl 20 the mob is all over the arena, you cant just tank and spank.

That fight wasn't tnak and spank... seriously...Everyone is constantly mobile to stay away from AoE and directional attacks. DPS cant just sit there and face roll there keyboard or they will die... Neither can the tank just sit back and tank damage passively... or he WILL die.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

How can this be? Even DDO has moving boss fights... Did someone tell them, it's not possible?

(One of many)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont know if Bosses are stationary upon engaging in combat but i would love to see rare bosses roaming around entire zones. That would be really nice

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Can never win with GW2 fanboi's. But yes that is probably one of the more stationary fights in the game. There is another boss in that instance that jumps up in tree's and all kinds of other shit (couldn't good find a video of it though). The first boss you fight in the game at lvl 20 the mob is all over the arena, you cant just tank and spank.

That fight wasn't tnak and spank... seriously...Everyone is constantly mobile to stay away from AoE and directional attacks. DPS cant just sit there and face roll there keyboard or they will die... Neither can the tank just sit back and tank damage passively... or he WILL die.

If there are more mobile fights, should have used them as an example then.

And my original point still stands. getting out of directional attacks is nothing new. GW2 DE videos have shown dragons breathing cone attacks too. Wow certainly has similar features. And for the record, I've played tera (though not very high yet). I'll agree with you that standing there tanking without dodge rolls and blocking WILL kill you. Again, GW2 has that. I WIll ALSO agree that Tera does tend to have more mobile combat than wow...from what we've seen, so does GW2.

The only point I was making in my original post, however, was that the video used did not display any sort of revolutionary new mobility that isn't in any other game. moving out of void zones and positioning DPS away from damage areas is nothing new.

• bongolinbongolin Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by aesperus

The boss from the video is rather small. We are talking huge bosses here.