Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 hype? Check this out.

anigousanigous Member UncommonPosts: 113

Anyone who has played an MMORPG other than WoW will notice one thing about Guild Wars 2. Rather than the game of the year everyone is making it out to seem, it's just natural progression.

Certain non-targeting skills? Movement while casting? Events? Exploring? These are all things that GW2 is taking from other games, and the first time you play Guild Wars 2; you'll just feel like you played a better MMORPG. To be honest, the lack of player created content, player economy, and some non-combat or non-exploration forms of entertainment put me off. 

"i have a lvl 26 maplestory warrior lvl 9 asda story archer and a adventure quest mage lvl 15 and my xfire is my bro's"

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by anigous

Anyone who has played an MMORPG other than WoW will notice one thing about Guild Wars 2. Rather than the game of the year everyone is making it out to seem, it's just natural progression.

Certain non-targeting skills? Movement while casting? Events? Exploring? These are all things that GW2 is taking from other games, and the first time you play Guild Wars 2; you'll just feel like you played a better MMORPG. To be honest, the lack of player created content, player economy, and some non-combat or non-exploration forms of entertainment put me off. 

GW2 is a evolution of themeparks and should be seen like that.

What you seems to be looking for is a game the evolves sandboxes instead, that game will be World of darkness online..

Sandboxes and themeparks or not better or worse than the other type but some people prefer one or the other (I kinda like both). Find the right for you.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by Loke666

What you seems to be looking for is a game the evolves sandboxes instead, that game will be World of darkness online..

Sandboxes and themeparks or not better or worse than the other type but some people prefer one or the other (I kinda like both). Find the right for you.

Loke666 pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

GW2 is a pretty good evolution in the chain of MMO's, its not a carbon copy clone like others, its trying its best to create the future of gaming, and I think its gotten a good start.

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by anigous  To be honest, the lack of player created content, player economy, and some non-combat or non-exploration forms of entertainment put me off. 

Although I think you're wrong in the main purpose of your post, I think that those points you brought up are true.  When I look at Archeage, I feel that GW2 should have played created houses, trees, carriages, stuff like that. And I'd definitly love non-combat fun; more Role playing elements.

I'll see what the future brings.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Ok I read this and I agree with the OP but where is everyone coming up with those are sandbox concerns not themepark. Really? First and best 3D themepark game was EQ and that game had more in it than all the other themeparks in the last 10yrs. There is more to a themepark game than following icons on your map!

The OP is right nothing special but it might be a good game.

• lightingbirdlightingbird Member Posts: 103

Huh? 

I don't get your post.  Either way, Im pumped for this game as finally a great updated pvp mmo champ.  It looks like it will be really good in that category.  There hasn't been a good pvp mmo that had a lot to it in a long time. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

There's one thing the OP fails to understand...

This game is not over-hyped.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

you guys know abut all the noncombat stuff and minigames in the main cities right?

like I hope that no one forgot all about them.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_game

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

mini games are only fun for a while you know... I want player housing, cooking, building, agriculture.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Originally posted by maxiime223

mini games are only fun for a while you know... I want player housing, cooking, building, agriculture.

And a lot of people don't want to spend 10 hours of grinding just so they can have 1 hour of fun.   

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Loke666

Right, I will force myself to like vampires if that's my only hope  but I think I too would like a game with both elements instead of one or the other.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Melangel

Right, I will force myself to like vampires if that's my only hope  but I think I too would like a game with both elements instead of one or the other.

Me too.

Dynamic (non-scripted) storytelling will blend to two. I hope its an area so MMO... ANY MMO... Hell, any RPG puts a solid focus on in the near future.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by EvilestTwin

Originally posted by maxiime223

And a lot of people don't want to spend 10 hours of grinding just so they can have 1 hour of fun.   

If you didn't like those features why would you grind for 10hrs doing them? Or would having them in a game actually reduce your own enjoyment of the parts you actually like.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Volkon

Take off the blinkers, paradigm shift, revolutionary day/night cycles this is pushing SWTOR on the hype factor, reality is Loke666's post, GW2 looks like a well made game with some innovations, it is not the second coming of Jesus and Mohammed as conjoined twins.
  • SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Grinding becomes an issue when it's a fundamental part of the design. That is, necessary to advance to new content. A lot of old-school games were designed that way, along with Korean MMOs.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Volkon

Take off the blinkers, paradigm shift, revolutionary day/night cycles this is pushing SWTOR on the hype factor, reality is Loke666's post, GW2 looks like a well made game with some innovations, it is not the second coming of Jesus and Mohammed as conjoined twins.

heh commenting someone who said nothing like he had been praising the game?  : P

there is no way GW2 can be overhyped, since pretty much every little aspect of the game is being covered, so if you are finding yourself disappointed by the game at release....well can only really blame yourself for not being a proper nerd and done their research....and know it is a themepark MMO, that atleast try to fix some of the issues of the other singleplayer games pretending to be MMOs

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

OP, you're looking for ArcheAge or World of Darkness. Unfortunately, we probably won't see these games until like 2014.

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    So as far as i see gw2 is a pvp game right? I find it a bit Odd that the focus is on pvp as i d Think the major player base plays pve. This is atleast from my experience in wow where less than 1% of the population pvps.
    Anyway i enjoy wow arena so i will Play gw2
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by UOvet

OP, you're looking for ArcheAge or World of Darkness. Unfortunately, we probably won't see these games until like 2014.

EQNext seems to be shaping up with a lot of sandbox, which could change, but given the small amount of comments, and hopefully Coppernicus also is going to go this route...TSW is hybridish....A few other smaller dev games also are coming out too...Glad to see more stuff from hybird to more sandbox getting worked in.

I am also a little put off over only being allowed to be a vampire in WoD, it isn't a killer, but it seems a little limited at first glance.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by Nethriil

So as far as i see gw2 is a pvp game right? I find it a bit Odd that the focus is on pvp as i d Think the major player base plays pve. This is atleast from my experience in wow where less than 1% of the population pvps. Anyway i enjoy wow arena so i will Play gw2

I've heard the 1% number thrown around as the number of folks that belong to a raiding guild ...Ive never heard 1% being used to describe folks that pvp ,might want to check your numbers on that call

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Baddogbill

So as far as i see gw2 is a pvp game right? I find it a bit Odd that the focus is on pvp as i d Think the major player base plays pve. This is atleast from my experience in wow where less than 1% of the population pvps. Anyway i enjoy wow arena so i will Play gw2

I've heard the 1% number throwen around as the number of folks that belong to a raiding guild ...Ive never heard 1% being used to descripe folks that pvp ,might want to check your numbers on that call

I've actually heard that 98% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Regarding the OP: I don't think it's fair to judge the game based upon what it is in the way you're doing it.

What it isn't is a sandbox game.

What you want is a sandbox game.

It's perfectly okay for GW2 to not be a sandbox game.

There are plenty of elements which are evolutionary, and even a few that are revolutionary (haven't been seen in MMOs before).

But if you don't care about the type of content that it's offering, you're not going to want to see that. So if the videos do nothing for you, then it's just better to move on and find a game which fits your needs. I believe Mortal Online does the sandboxy thing really lwell?

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I also love sandbox but you have to be aware of something, first their pvp is usually beyond retarded, totally unbalanced, nobody to fight, you have to wander in the word for an eternity to find anyone that will be so scared to fight back they'll probably just run to the nearest town. And second they are like monumental time sink, to do anything (farming) you need to pour in them your entire live, that is also the reason why the pvp suck, because the time spend playing those games are all what is pvp about or almost. I mean i love sandbox and all, but those aspects are just the worst part in them, they have other really nice aspect though, but still those are the worst to me. And well GW2 seam to deal very well with those problems. So ye i'm not sure those will miss me a lot when playing GW2, but probably because i'll still have my little house in the forest protected by his thick brick wall and his trees i planted myself, his small farm and all this, ye in an other game ;D and no its not Archeage for those wondering.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

OP needs to hang out with us over in the ArcheAge threads instead of pointing out that GW2 is not a sandbox.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Baddogbill

I've heard the 1% number throwen around as the number of folks that belong to a raiding guild ...Ive never heard 1% being used to descripe folks that pvp ,might want to check your numbers on that call

I've actually heard that 98% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Millions of statistics are also overstated.