Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Verdict on the Fourth Pillar

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I like the SWTOR story, I have tried many classes and I find the writing better than most games. But I think it was a terrible idea to make that the focus of an MMO. I would have praised it for a single player game, but for an MMO it misses out on the opportunity that you have in putting people online together -- the opportunity for them to make their own story.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I don't understand how people find this VO content so engaging. There have been a few individual missions, mainly class quests that have really grabbed my attention, but they are far and few between; usually the chapter endings are pretty kick ass. Though after playing a character near level cap (47), I simpy can't be bothered to listen to the side mission audio anymore. It bores the hell out of  me, especially since I'm seeing some if it a second, third, and even a fourth time now. It may as well be text, as far as I'm concerned, especially if it isn't class related.

Quite frankly, if Bioware had made the questing and missioning in TOR the same quality and pacing as one of their single player games, like KOTOR or Mass Effect, maybe it wouldn't feel like I'm still killing ten effing rats. Maybe if they had kept the original leveling system from the KOTOR games, where lightside and darkside alignment actually effected the amount of force required to power your abilities depending on which side they fell upon, rather than just unlock vendors; or allowed players the option to pick and choose skills or attributes that were available in KOTOR, such as passive stat increases, weapon and armor proficiencies, or specialized attacks like critical strike and frenzy; maybe at that point in time they'd have a game that, in combination with the voice overs, would actually be as innovated as they claim it to be. The truth is, however, that my space bar is worn thin, and the story itself isn't really enough to keep me playing an MMO long term.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

It made the difference for me, TOR is the only mmo I consider worth my time and I think many casual players like it, the space-bar crowd and hardcore folks should look for another game IMO.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I don't understand how people find this VO content so engaging. There have been a few individual missions, mainly class quests that have really grabbed my attention, but they are far and few between; usually the chapter endings are pretty kick ass. Though after playing a character near level cap (47), I simpy can't be bothered to listen to the side mission audio anymore. It bores the hell out of  me, especially since I'm seeing some if it a second, third, and even a fourth time now. It may as well be text, as far as I'm concerned, especially if it isn't class related.

Quite frankly, if Bioware had made the questing and missioning in TOR the same quality and pacing as one of their single player games, like KOTOR or Mass Effect, maybe it wouldn't feel like I'm still killing ten effing rats. Maybe if they had kept the original leveling system from the KOTOR games, where lightside and darkside alignment actually effected the amount of force required to power your abilities depending on which side they fell upon, rather than just unlock vendors; or allowed players the option to pick and choose skills or attributes that were available in KOTOR, such as passive stat increases, weapon and armor proficiencies, or specialized attacks like critical strike and frenzy; maybe at that point in time they'd have a game that, in combination with the voice overs, would actually be as innovated as they claim it to be. The truth is, however, that my space bar is worn thin, and the story itself isn't really enough to keep me playing an MMO long term.

Story ->  affects Light Side/Dark Side -> which affects nothing (the vendors wont really sell you anything more than boots, cubes, and speeders) except maybe loot usage.

Your notion of how this should have been used is soo much better.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by Neloth

It made the difference for me, TOR is the only mmo I consider worth my time and I think many casual players like it, the space-bar crowd and hardcore folks should look for another game IMO.

You're correct. TOR is the most boring and casual game on the planet. The rub is, It's the only so called mmo that is using the SW IP, and it may be the last. So that leaves fans that want a more open and deeper SW mmorpg , kinda left out in the cold. If Bioware wanted to screw something up, in my book, they should have used their own ME IP.

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

I loved the story; that's not why I quit playing. What made me quit was the empty, dead-feeling world brought on by too many servers and a hub (main space station) where everyone could hang out and avoid interacting with the rest of the world.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by ignore_me

Story ->  affects Light Side/Dark Side -> which affects nothing (the vendors wont really sell you anything more than boots, cubes, and speeders) except maybe loot usage.

What's absolutely ridiculous about this whole mess is that Bioware had a model to use for creating a KOTOR MMO that had already been previously successful in their single player RPG's. Systematically and mechanically, the options available in the original series for leveling and class building is far better than in their MMO, and it seems like a game far removed from the two which came before it. Why go with talent trees, forced equipment options, and forced leveling areas when they had created something far superior and unique, which would have been refreshing to see in the multiplayer space, that they already had a blueprint to recreate? It doesn't make any sense to me.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by ignore_me

What's absolutely ridiculous about this whole mess is that Bioware had a model to use for creating a KOTOR MMO that had already been previously successful in their single player RPG's. Systematically and mechanically, the options available in the original series for leveling and class building is far better than in their MMO, and it seems like a game far removed from the two which came before it. Why go with talent trees, forced equipment options, and forced leveling areas when they had created something far superior and unique, which would have been refreshing to see in the multiplayer space, that they already had a blueprint to recreate? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Because it wouldn't have been enough like WOW for the mmo gamers. To me, it's just easy to see they built the game around KOTOR fans and had to make it similar even on a barebone scale to bring in the mmo players and be able to call it an mmorpg.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by musicmann

Originally posted by Neloth

You're correct. TOR is the most boring and casual game on the planet. The rub is, It's the only so called mmo that is using the SW IP, and it may be the last. So that leaves fans that want a more open and deeper SW mmorpg , kinda left out in the cold. If Bioware wanted to screw something up, in my book, they should have used their own ME IP.

Damn straight! This is so true. This IP was a tremendous responsibility, especially after there was a historical precedent for what happens when you fuck it up.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Give me millions I can write you a story.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

STory was exiciting, till I saw every Trooper run around with the same companions and it turned out I wasn't the only commander of Havoc Squad. To make things even worse my girl even kissed a million other troopers! Yeah the story was pretty good in killing the roleplay element.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Other then the stories being uninteresting when compared to real SPRPGs  like BGs and Kotor.  (At least the rep ones, sorry just can't stand bioware's evil to be evil style evilness.)   The stories fail because they are in NO way writen to be part of a co-op game or even a multiplayer game or even a MMO that SWTOR pretends to be.    In every one the republican stories you at the ONLY hero in the whole galaxy destinded to be god's gift to the republic.   Not even in the side quests is there any notion of desining quests in a way that explains why your the 4th person to so it this hour.  

The stories are also terrible because choice is totaly pointless, the stories are on such a linear path that if your given the choice to kill x or let him go it doesn't matter, because either you never see them again or they do nothing till you meet them again and are forced to kill them. 

The last reason they suck is that the game doesn't even pretend that your in charge, there is ALWAYS someone other then your character telling you where to go next and what to do next.   When I was in beta I never got the feeling that my chracter was ever really in charge of his story as there was never a moment where he just stopped and talked with his pets or the NPCs about he was going to next it was just yes sir. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Ideally the voiceovers should only be for the class and main planet line quests.  Everything else can skip the dialog.

• motersmoters Member UncommonPosts: 73

The story in tor tor is boring was fun at first after a while poking your eyes seems like a good option. If you play you can see numbers of people playing falling everywhere in game no cues less people on each planet etc when i started had to cue for 45 mins.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Didn't care much for the stories either.  I felt they were pretty bland overall, and I tried every class.  They all kind of blend together after a while, basically some bad dudes have gotten a hold a secret weapon or there is some vicious gang to take care of.  I could not get invested in the stories in the least; I felt no emotional attachment to my character because I was just so bored. 

I enjoyed the DA and KOTOR stories a million times more.  DA and KOTOR were the type of games that I immediately replayed them, just to experience the story in a different way.  I couldn't stomach SWTOR past level 30.  The stories/plots in SWTOR would have been laughed at in a single player RPG.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by ScorpionOne

Originally posted by RefMinor

Considering VO made SWTOR the most expensive CORPG in the history of the world by a factor of two and all indications are that the numbers are tanking at an unhealthy rate, I think you will need to get your storyline fix from SPRPGs going forward. SWTOR was a step back for the MMORPG genre.

Don't take this the wrong way, Ref.  But do you have proof of these "tanking numbers"?  I'm not a fanboy but everytime I see people say something about falling subscription numbers, I get suspicious.

SWTOR took a step in the right direction, but to me it seems like it just isn't enough of a step.  It needs to go a bit further.  How, I'm not sure.  I'm not a developer so don't ask me for specifics.  But it just feels like something else is missing.

I'd say what's missing was freedom.  After the second or third planet, the repetition set in.  Go to planet. Start main story arc, along the way, handle side quests, flashpoints, etc.  It was way too linear.  I honestly didnt play far enough to get to the more open planets like Alderaan or Tatooine, but not convinced it would change my opinion much.  

What I would have like to have seen was open space exploration, as well as more involved crafting.  Also have to say I felt the planets were lifeless.  Look at the canteen.  It should have been brimming with real players, and acted as a social hub.  But here it was reduced to a prop with the ability to play music.  I feel it was a lost opportunity.

Beyond the story of Star Wars, what most of us fans what is the freedom.  But I guess that was what Star Wars Galaxies was about pre-NGE.  Unfortunately I missed out on that experience and left wanting more from SWTOR

Also awaiting Guild Wars 2 as well as a little unknown F2P title Lime Odyssey.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

Love the Class story and the main story line for each planet, but drop the VO for the side and random quests. save you some money to put more into the broken parts of SWTOR

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Story is not the fourth pillar. There is no fourth pillar. What is this pillar business anyway, more jargon, maybe i'll just turn on cnn and listen to pundits talk more rhetoric BS.

fourth pillar hahaha gtfo

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

EVERYONE is tired of playing with the old quest boxes. That doesn't mean this game succeeds with boring cutscenes about killing ten rats.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I must be weird or something.  I like SWTOR and I like the VO.  It's not a game changer or anything, but it is a step forward for MMOs in my opinion.  It beats the hell out of reading a few paragraphs at every quest giver, and it gives the NPCs a little personality.  

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

Lego Star Wars had a better story.  I am shocked at yet another fluff piece on TOR from MMORPG.com.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

"Hint: BioWare, my body is ready for a Mass Effect (or Dragon Age!) MMO."

Stop that ;< I'd rather they work on returning those universes to their former glory first.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Didn't particularly like what I saw of the story playing a Trooper in beta (trite, cliched, illogical). It was no Baldur's Gate 2, that's for sure.

And on top of that, I think single-player story and MMORPG gameplay mix like oil and water. Just not a very good idea at all.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

i enjoyed the story. it wasn't too bad, though for me it tailed off after level 30 for a bit (though i'm told it picks up again). the problem was, the rest of the game got in the way. i'd want to go on with the story, because that's your natural impulse, but i couldn't because i'd have to go up 6 levels to do so. and that meant grinding. and the rest of the game really was a non-event.

but, really, the story was a great aspect and i see it influencing future mmos. i just hope those other mmos recognise the importance of balance and learn to balance story and game.

• DranmarthDranmarth Member UncommonPosts: 57

The story aspect was great, and between that and my guild, is what kept me in the game for so long, but you can't ignore everything else except the story and be successful.