Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

combat isn't challenging "non-sense"

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Skepticism doesn't bother me, but at least make sense if you're going to call someone's (ie: TB's) judgement into question.  No one's likely to believe a claim like the ones in this thread unless there's a trail of breadcrumbs leading back to a conclusion that everyone could conceivably make, provided they were so inclined to take the time to do so.

If TB is being paid to say good things about GW2 - even though he says he finds Personal Story boring - then I guess one could also come to the conclusion, being paranoid enough already, that the Beefjack.com previewer was paid off too, since there's not much evidence he even played the game (he was complaining that he couldn't make his Necromancer a tank wtf).  

But who wants to jump on that crazy train?  It's not improbable to believe reviewers are paid off, but ... TB?  Come on, have some faith.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Eir_S

Skepticism doesn't bother me, but at least make sense if you're going to call someone's (ie: TB's) judgement into question.  No one's likely to believe a claim like the ones in this thread unless there's a trail of breadcrumbs leading back to a conclusion that everyone could conceivably make, provided they were so inclined to take the time to do so.

If TB is being paid to say good things about GW2 - even though he says he finds Personal Story boring - then I guess one could also come to the conclusion, being paranoid enough already, that the Beefjack.com previewer was paid off too, since there's not much evidence he even played the game (he was complaining that he couldn't make his Necromancer a tank wtf).  

But who wants to jump on that crazy train?  It's not improbable to believe reviewers are paid off, but ... TB?  Come on, have some faith.

OR better yet, how about we leave the topic of "shills" in another thread? This is about challenge of combat. You want breadcrumbs that lead back to a disagreement about TB's take on combat? Well they certainly didn't show it, yet instead simply tried promoting the idea of it.

IF you want to talk about challenge do it while showing examples as that's the point of video, don't show people literally face-rolling everything in their way. I mean did anyone else notice as he says " Lots of people say mobs fall in a few hits, this is nonsense..." (paraphrased)  while mobs are falling left and right after a few hits? if you won't show it, why talk about it?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by itgrowls

actually no he works for a single company that pays him to do reviews on games, he's not being paid by the companies who make games to do the reviews you have that confused. It's not like the websites where every single one of them gave a 9/10 to an unfinished game recently. Ahem.

Well, I've got a bridge to sell you and the rest of the people who believe he's not being paid to promote products.

Is it mere coincidence he plays consistent footage in the background of his mailbox videos? Of course not.

Am I the only person left on the planet who has the capability of reading between the lines? Do you all also believe that professional wrestling is real?

I can understand kids taking TB seriously due to having no grasp of how the world works, however, adults taking his word as gospel is really bordering on the same kind of naivety found in some kind of Texas cult a la Waco.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Fun fact if a sword and board guardian meets another sword and board guardian, the first one to use zealots defense loses.

Not to mention the better players will always attempt to snare/chill/imobolize their opponent, before attempting to spike.

You also must consider the fact that many of these players who have recorded footage of the game for your viewing pleasure, have only had 3 days to try the game in its current state. Many of these players were lucky to be able to play for 12 hours, as the beta was kind of last minute for those that were selected at random from the beta sign ups.

Yet still we have people who are demanding that these players perform at an esports level, now I understand that there are many memebers of the press that don't particularly understand key binding, though even when players performed enough to set themselves apart from the press members, they were still berrated with questions of why did you do this or that, and why didn't you do that or this. As if the people demanding these answers were any more knowledgable about the game themselves.

You people are truly never satisfied with anything, are you? These people go out of their way to record footage for those less fortunate, and is all everyone can do is bash the player playing, rather than appreciating it.

On the otherhand you have Garrett's "John Madden" play by play... which I'm not exactly sure what to think of that, other than commisioning the "Badmspaint" guy to deliver what my imagination desires.

Come to think of it, the way Pokket handles SWTOR, shouldn't there be more members of mmorpg who could specialize in different games? The way it seems is that everyone else is considered to be general gamers who play a whole list of games.

Mmm... I should probably stop, my ADD is going to leave me in Narnia is a few more paragraphs.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Distopia

OR better yet, how about we leave the topic of "shills" in another thread? This is about challenge of combat. You want breadcrumbs that lead back to a disagreement about TB's take on combat? Well they certainly didn't show it, yet instead simply tried promoting the idea of it.

IF you want to talk about challenge do it while showing examples as that's the point of video, don't show people literally face-rolling everything in their way. I mean did anyone else notice as he says " Lots of people say mobs fall in a few hits, this is nonsense..." (paraphrased)  while mobs are falling left and right after a few hits? if you won't show it, why talk about it?

TB also said in that video that it can be button mashing if too many people for certain events are there. people hear what they want. 

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Wait... people are accusing ArenaNet of having paid off a Youtube commentator, now?

Not a big site, or a magazine, but a Youtube commentator?

Just because he's got good things to say?

*whimper.* That's another blow to my faith in humanity.

I'm sorry. I really am. But the people who think this: Are you stupid? Is that your problem?

Oh, because it's so surprising that some of them earn a living on Youtube as they get more views than some television channels?

People earning a living on advertising, just like on TV! The boob tube, right? TUBE... you..tube...

I.. give up.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Well with 3 buttons to push all the time gw2 combat don't look as real challenge for old school pvp players.  Guy in this video got the point. I know you will say-''dude but we can dodge here''  but how i can see it is only hiting and hiting same buttons again and again. But maybe is that some kind of  ''zen'' thing and we normal people cant see that mysterious way of hidden combat

Originally posted by palulalula

Well with 3 buttons to push all the time gw2 combat don't look as real challenge for old school pvp players.  Guy in this video got the point. I know you will say-''dude but we can dodge here''  but how i can see it is only hiting and hiting same buttons again and again. But maybe is that some kind of  ''zen'' thing and we normal people cant see that mysterious way of hidden combat

First off, you can switch weapons to get different skill sets while in combat (from what I've watched), secondly .. there's actually more like 10 skills for each set of weapons (5 skills per weapon?).

Changing weapons will be, according to what I've watched and even TBs commentary, crucial to the gameplay. So in lieu of choosing a secondary a subset of skills and sticking with them you'll be swapping them out in the middle of combat, or am I wrong?

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Originally posted by itgrowls

actually no he works for a single company that pays him to do reviews on games, he's not being paid by the companies who make games to do the reviews you have that confused. It's not like the websites where every single one of them gave a 9/10 to an unfinished game recently. Ahem.

Well, I've got a bridge to sell you and the rest of the people who believe he's not being paid to promote products.

Is it mere coincidence he plays consistent footage in the background of his mailbox videos? Of course not.

Am I the only person left on the planet who has the capability of reading between the lines? Do you all also believe that professional wrestling is real?

I can understand kids taking TB seriously due to having no grasp of how the world works, however, adults taking his word as gospel is really bordering on the same kind of naivety found in some kind of Texas cult a la Waco.

LOL, How many here are too young to remember Waco?

Originally posted by brody71

TB also said in that video that it can be button mashing if too many people for certain events are there. people hear what they want. 

There were at most times 2-3 people on screen, taking on groups of 3-4 mobs. -3 people = Too many?!

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

You button mash in competitive pvp you are going to get your ass handed to you.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

First off, you can switch weapons to get different skill sets while in combat (from what I've watched), secondly .. there's actually more like 10 skills for each set of weapons (5 skills per weapon?).
        Changing weapons will be, according to what I've watched and even TBs commentary, crucial to the gameplay. So in lieu of choosing a secondary a subset of skills and sticking with them you'll be swapping them out in the middle of combat, or am I wrong?

Correct, Choosing the weapon you want to swap to is pretty important. Wait till you see the pro pvp guys get the hang of the system. 100% positive you will never see them using just a couple skills and only 1 weapon.

I wish Anet would do a big open beta. Will help out with alot of misconceptions about the game.

BOOYAKA!

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I've seen you post enough times about GW2 for me to assume that you're aware of weapon switching. I gues I was wrong.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Actually, I did notice that.  I was like, "he could have timed it a bit better".. but I figure maybe he just didn't think about the footage his voice would be accompanying.  It wasn't live, after all.  Otherwise, yeah, bad timing.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Thats right, at least how Im seeing it.

I imagine there will be times when your switching weapons a lot, which would take more skill than button mashing.

Actually, I did notice that.  I was like, "he could have timed it a bit better".. but I figure maybe he just didn't think about the footage his voice would be accompanying.  It wasn't live, after all.  Otherwise, yeah, bad timing.

Yeah maybe just bad editing (zero editing).I think overall it was horrible footage to use to support a challenge argument. Maybe that's all it was, it's just a flatout bad example iMO to use as the premise of the overall thread.

• RuienRuien Member Posts: 39

You guys are something else.  Look down on the left hand side of the yellow bar at the bottom. ...

The necro is LVL 2.  How many hits do you want to do in a group of 5 to kill 1 mob at LVL 2?  The footage STILL shows him going into the down state because he didnt play well AT LVL 2.

You guys are genii. (psst thats plural for genius)

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

Originally posted by troublmaker

Um... you have to time your cooldowns in WoW too.  If you have three stuns you can't just use them all at once.  They have to be timed appropriately.  You can't just pop your PvP trinket on the first CC, you have to use it when you need it.  You have to time up your burst for the appropriate point because if you use it all on CD they'll just heal through it.  Now I haven't played WoW for quite some time but I'm betting it is still the same.

TotalBiscuit is actually an idiot and his only qualiifcations in gaming is that he was a clerk at a GameStop for 6 years.  TotalBiscuit was saying the exact same thing about WoW three years ago when he was covering Cataclysm Beta.  He was also saying the same thing about SWTOR beta.

He has a great voice and is a great Starcraft 2 commentator... but he's not very good at games at all.

He actually wasn't that into SWTOR.

I thought SWTOR was better than what he said/experienced.

Still I agree with most of the above, that just about everything he said about Challenge/ timing also applies to WOW, EQ2, AOC TOR, or many other themeparks. I say that as person who has never been a fan of those games as MMOs.

My problem was with the challenge topic he brought up, GW2 from these press videos (even that one), seems just like any other modern MMO. Most content is designed to faceroll through while there are select encounters that are actually given thought,  the rest looks meh.. Just look at the video (where he tries to argue challenge), no one is coming close to dieing, mobs drop like flies (even as he says that doesn't happen ROFL) , players get hit with a few bursts (half health) after their health doesn't move (everything is dead), same as TOR.  As an example I found challenging encounters in TOR (mostly solo boss battles during the class stories) the rest unless it was herioc was a breeze.

I doubt GW2 will be different I definitely don't expect it to be.. this is something that devs today seem to ensure (so the masses can play). I'm not saying it looks bad, just doesn't look "hard" and these peeps are not even using dodge half the time.

IF this games wasn't designed for millions I wouldn't feel as I do above, then again I never found much challenge in older MMO's either, game-play still felt watered down back then, I think it's just part of making MMO's, if they make them hard they won't be catering to the masses at all.

I always enjoy your posts, Distopia; you're always thoughtful and, what I appreciate moreso, moderate.  I wanted to add a couple of thougths to your posits about mass appeal relationships with difficulty level.  I'm sure we've seen this discussion many times on the various GW2 forums around the internet, but let me again suggest that it is most definitely difficult to find a sweet spot for game difficulty/challenge where a playerbase is composed of a wide variety of levels of adeptness.  In other words, I believe skepticism about possible high skill cap is prudent at this point, regardless of TB's optimism.

Don't anyone take this as me suggesting that the game won't have challenges, but rather that I'm suggesting combat, at least pve combat, is unlikely to have anywhere near a constant high challenge level, especially in the open world/dynamic events.  One might argue that I'm underestimating the average player's skill level, or that the average player will be content with mediocre results, or even that Anet simply doesn't give a damn about average players.  I certainly don't see any reason to believe any of that.  I should, however, acknowledge that challenge and difficulty are subjective terms so we won't all perceive them the same way.  User experiences will vary.  Also, PvP is a separate argument.

There were at most times 2-3 people on screen, taking on groups of 3-4 mobs. -3 people = Too many?!

i was referring to his thief video where he was soloing and just talking.  i was trying to agree with yur point.

Originally posted by Ruien

You guys are something else.  Look down on the left hand side of the yellow bar at the bottom. ...

The necro is LVL 2.  How many hits do you want to do in a group of 5 to kill 1 mob at LVL 2?  The footage STILL shows him going into the down state because he didnt play well AT LVL 2.

You guys are genii. (pst thats plural for genius)

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Can someone tell me of an mmo that had challenging combat in the very beggining of the game?

I mean what's the highest level we've seen of GW2, level 30? 

O

i was referring to his thief video where he was soloing and just talking.  i was trying to agree with yur point.

My bad I wasn't sure whether you were agreeing or disagreeing lol, figured one was the bad call heh and I made it :P.

Originally posted by Ruien

You guys are genii. (pst thats plural for genius)

My point was from a journalistic standpoint, which makes what the level was a moot point, he used that footage while talking about challenge, it just doesn't make sense. WHen you set out to show people wrong, it's usually a good rule of thumb to you know... show it? :p

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by Kickaxe

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

Originally posted by troublmakerat all.

I always enjoy your posts, Distopia; you're always thoughtful and, what I appreciate moreso, moderate.  I wanted to add a couple of thougths to your posits about mass appeal relationships with difficulty level.  I'm sure we've seen this discussion many times on the various GW2 forums around the internet, but let me again suggest that it is most definitely difficult to find a sweet spot for game difficulty/challenge where a playerbase is composed of a wide variety of levels of adeptness.  In other words, I believe skepticism about possible high skill cap is prudent at this point, regardless of TB's optimism.

Don't anyone take this as me suggesting that the game won't have challenges, but rather that I'm suggesting combat, at least pve combat, is unlikely to have anywhere near a constant high challenge level, especially in the open world/dynamic events.  One might argue that I'm underestimating the average player's skill level, or that the average player will be content with mediocre results, or even that Anet simply doesn't give a damn about average players.  I certainly don't see any reason to believe any of that.  I should, however, acknowledge that challenge and difficulty are subjective terms so we won't all perceive them the same way.  User experiences will vary.  Also, PvP is a separate argument.

It will be hard to set the perfect difficulty level for everyone, as most PvE content seems to be DE's in the open world (except for dungeons). Say what you want about instanced content, but it does allow you to set many levels of difficulty. Ex. In DDO you had 4 levels of difficulty for any levels, plus Epic max level setting. It's going to be hard to get DE's challenging enough for the more skilled players, while keeping the less skilled from getting frustrated over dying to much.

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Can someone tell me of an mmo that had challenging combat in the very beggining of the game?

I mean what's the highest level we've seen of GW2, level 30? 

according to a lot of people that bashed TERA every game should be challenging out of the gate.