Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why guys playing girls spook me off

Comments

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Corehaven

Its just a bit of a mind **** for some people.  Like myself.  Always felt like a form of digital cross dressing to me.  Have I taken it far too seriously?  Yes I have.  Sorry about that. 

That's a bit like calling an author a crossdresser for creating characters of the opposite sex.  The author isn't their character, and players aren't their characters.

If I create a character in a fictional world, I want it to be interesting.  If I only ever created male characters, it'll be less interesting than occasionally making a female one.  Granted, I never really role-play the characters, so one could argue that I'm not creating a character unless it's a game like ME3 or ToR where part of the gameplay is making that character's decisions.

Either way, there's never any mixup where I consider the character to be me, regardless of my character's gender.

Like always, you shouldn't assume your way of doing things is the only way or the "right" way. Its just one way of many. Different people play for different reasons and want different things from their characters.

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

Where are the options for a hermaphrodite character?  You can get the experience of being both male and female, and if you ever get bored, you can go %^&@ yourself.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Its half and half for me. I do not like how much guys look in most games so making a hot lady works out just fine. I've never roleplayed a girl character. Its silly to care what anyone would play in a video game. Playing a girl character generally gets more favors and stuff from other people in the chance that you may be a girl in real life but since I am always a PK its pretty obvious that I am not.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by monarc333

I find it a bit off. I dont know why. Never in my mmo life have I made a female. I do however have male friends that make femals toons exclusively. I wonder though, I never see women making male toons. Wonder why that is...

Because you play MMOs and don't know any real women?
  • avaliceheartavaliceheart Member Posts: 24

All the guys I know IRL play girl characters because they'd rather look at a girl than a guy.  IMO it's weird but I guess it makes sense.

Originally posted by avaliceheart

All the guys I know IRL play girl characters because they'd rather look at a girl than a guy.  IMO it's weird but I guess it makes sense.

I often will make female characters in offline games for various reasons. Not so much because I like to stare at my characters' asses, but more because the female characters more often than not have much cooler customization options. I also love naming things. It seems easier to come up with a good female name than a male one (I've come up with several names for my future daughter if I ever have one). I love female characters in fighting games because they tend to have faster, more fluid movements.  Typically if there's an antrho or beast-style character, like a lizardman or something (EQ Iksar Shadowknight FTW) I'll choose that first.

Anything where I'm constantly interacting with other players in a social aspect, I'll only create males.

Why?

1) I dont want to give anyone false impressions, even if it is purely by accident.

2) I dont want random lonely dudes hitting on me ingame.

3) I dont want to have to go through the awkward "I'm a guy" explanation time and time again.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Magaskaweel

I guess most of us dont make a character so we can fantasize about boning them. Maybe we just want a good looking character. For alot of straight guys, a good looking character is a woman.

This^

I play males or females and robots if at all possible, and it mainly has to do the character creation options. Too many MMOs make all the guys look like the 'Bros' of Failblog. (except in Aion where I couldn't make anything but an effeminate gay dude (I'd be fine with playing a bear btw)).

But mostly, who cares.  

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I also find it very creepy for a man to play a female in an MMORPG.  Not so much when a man plays a female in single player rpg's though.  The main reason is that you are depicting yourself as a woman to the entire world in the MMO.  Your only playing by yourself in a single player game, so it doesnt matter, and often times female characters in single player games have little tweaks to the gaming dialogue and content if you play a female rather than a male.

I suppose there could be a few reasons that men would like to depict themselves as a woman in an MMO however, for instance one of my mains in WoW is a female gnome warrior.  The only reason I chose to pick a female gnome warrior is because they are so incredibly rare that I wanted to be a rare class/race choice.  It was either that or a female dwarf rogue also, those are incredibly rare too.

But the number 1 reason I get from men who play female characters, and I'd have to say is the answer that I get a VAST majority of the time, make me worry about the person.  The answer I get the vast majority of the time is,

"Because I dont want to look at a mans ass for the entire adventure." 

This answer worries me for a few reasons.  First off, if a man is having trouble NOT looking at a mans ass in a video game...they have some serious underlying sexual confusion issues.  This also lets me know that they like to look at a female characters ass in a video game.  Which tells me they seriously need to get themselves laid, course I'm sure they dont know which gender to flirt with if they give this answer.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

I find it a bit off. I dont know why. Never in my mmo life have I made a female. I do however have male friends that make femals toons exclusively. I wonder though, I never see women making male toons. Wonder why that is...

my wife does, because she doesn't like getting hassled by 12yr old boys.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Yes it's wierd...it's very wierd, the people probably have sexual confusion issues, read my post above.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by slicknslim88

Yes it's wierd...it's very wierd, the people probably have sexual confusion issues, read my post above.

People that give a crap about this topic are the ones with insecurities imho.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by headphones

" Not ture " Im 13.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Scrogdog

Personally, I don't create female avatars because I role play.  As a guy, am I supposed to know how to RP a woman?

I faced this same conundrum once, but I wound up learning through observation.

I would recommend studying:

"Tootsie" and "Mrs. Doubtfire"

Oh, and I almost forgot...if you want to play a female from another race, I would study:

"White Chicks"

Women are not that different from blokes to be honest. They have a different way of typing comments in the games though and acting.

You can tell usualy if a male is playing a female the main thing is sight of the character and its name. To much makeup or big boobs / naked 90% of the time its usualy going to be a male in RL thinking he can get away with RP'ing a female.

Be moderate in your makeup and body sizes, men can often do make up far better than actual women. Spend time with the face as a note I took 2 hours on one of my Eve Characters to get her to look right.

And if you need more help try wearing stockings and suspenders to get you in the right frame of mind. I know I do, but thats for other reasons :p

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

In my opinion, only the people that seem uncomfortable by this issue are the ones with gender confusion issues...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Elikal

Now let me say ahead, I always respect everyone's decision what to play in a MMO. It is just a feeling. Let me explain. Now sure, as gay guy, I do not have the appeal to "see a girl's bum" while I play. But here is the thing. When I create MMO characters, I NEVER make "my idea man". And boy, I tried. Several times in MMOs I create a male character that looked as my "ideal looking man", and it SPOOKED THE HELL OUTTA ME. I can't even say why. But the idea to play a char that looks like my ideal man, was... wrong. It was something so outside anything I could identify or accpet. I always felt it was just wrong and spooky, to have some "cute puppet", some "love doll" or whatever. It felt just freaky. And that is why I shudder at the thought, no matter if you play same gender or opposite gender: this idea to create a character as "your ideal looking girl/guy" is what just feels so spooking me off.

For me, a character I play must represent something of *me*, some part of myself externalized. (Is that a word?) For instance, I loved my EQ2 Sarnath and my Fae Ranger. Both represented character traits of me. Both where a part of me, in a way I could not describe. Or my dark skinned characters I make in most MMOs as main. He is me, for reasons I can not explain. But he is FAR from the type of guy I want. I mean, I know some people would even play any random char because they don't care at all. But when you play a char so many hours as you do in a MMO, does it not evoke *some* feeling within you?

And that is what I don't get, how can you play a char months or even years which is your "love interest"? That sounds just so... bizarre. So it gives me more than a little doubt in players who do this. I know from experience with female gamers who talked to me, that female chars are usually treated better. If they enter older MMOs, they are WAY more likely to get help, money and other stuff. And that, shall we say, ulterior motive is what I also kind of suspect. Like they know, ok with a girl char people will be more helpful and nice. Which is the case. Female chars DO get more help.

So what do you think about it? And to you guys who play girls, how do you feel doing that? I wonder.

I have not read this thread, and am answering straight from the cuff so to speak as a person who sometimes plays a woman.  Guys give things to Female characters, in Lotro some guy came up and gave me 100 gp, then tried to date me - I think he should have done that in reverse order. I took the gp, told him I was a guy in real life, and went on my way.  Guys in games trip over themselves to help females.  Mostly I think they are poor guys living in Mom's basement who cannot even speak to a real life girl and are hoping they can get  a date by playing a game.  If true then i have taught them a valuable lesson - in fact several, look before you leap, never judge a package by it's cover and most importantly  - DO NOT TRY TO GET A DATE IN A MMO.  lol, hey  When i play a Role playing game I often play a character that is not like me.  I am a nice guy and I have played thieves and assassins.  I play games for entertainment and to relieve stress(strangely EVE never helped me relieve stress - lol - caused it more often).  People play games for different reasons.  Try to have fun and not worry about the motivations of the other players, because, after all - it is just a game.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Let me give you guys a hint:

I know two guys who are in their late 20's. They are virgins and neither of them have ever kissed a girl.

Both of them play females in WoW...

I myself hate playing female.. Or being forced into it if I want to play a certain class, like in vindictus. I would have made an assassin in diablo 2, if it wasn't for that stupid looking girl. Just the mere thought of playing something that doesn't have a penis, creeps my out.

I have no need of pretending to be a woman, neither in my daily life nor in a computer game.

Originally posted by astoria

People that give a crap about this topic are the ones with insecurities imho.

Opinions are like ass holes. Everyone has one.

As long as the topic is there and open to opinion, people will share theirs.

(as long as they're not sharing their ass holes too) image

Originally posted by Xstyles

I know two guys who are in their late 20's. They are virgins and neither of them have ever kissed a girl.

I myself hate playing female.. Or being forced into it if I want to play a certain class, like in vindictus. I would have made an assassin in diablo 2, if it wasn't for that stupid looking girl. Just the mere thought of playing something that doesn't have a penis, creeps my out.

Guys who play females do it because they don't have enough interaction with girls/women in their daily life. To me, women are disposable pleasures. I have no need of pretending to be one, neither in my daily life or in a computer game.

To each his own but, I wouldn't be making fun of anyone else's outlook on life after this statement if I were you.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by Xstyles

Guys who play females do it because they don't have enough interaction with girls/women in their daily life. To me, women are disposable pleasures. I have no need of pretending to be one, neither in my daily life or in a computer game.

To each his own but, I wouldn't be making fun of anyone else's outlook on life after this statement if I were you.

I value that statement and have edited my post. But don't you tell me, that you don't stop finding the girl interesting after you "did" her ;) once you reliefed the pressure, your computer/friends/car is suddenly more interesting than her.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Well, deleted user, you are obviously doing it wrong.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Originally posted by Deleted User

I value that statement and have edited my post. But don't you tell me, that you don't stop finding the girl interesting after you "did" her ;) once you reliefed the pressure, your computer/friends/car is suddenly more interesting than her.

Not all guys dealue women with pleasure.  I find my girlfriend just as interesting before and after the act.  I wouldn't be with her if I didn't.  It doesn't hurt either that she is more intelligent than almost all the people who inhabit this site, either.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Originally posted by RefMinor

Because you play MMOs and don't know any real women?

Funny. Its even more funny considering I'm married with a kid.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I'll buy that. My wife got harrased in WoW a lot. But once we moved on from that game it died down a lot.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I play females because I find them attractive. And they get more invites to guilds. No lie.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

I'll buy that. My wife got harrased in WoW a lot. But once we moved on from that game it died down a lot.

yah, see i'm a little more able to ignore things and just keep playing. or type a quick f-o. but she found it overly annoying.

for me, the only people i think who have issues, seem to be the guys who feel an avatar is a direct reflection of their sexuality. in which case, i have to ask why so many of them like playing tauren. or orks? do they have a body type that represents those? are these people complaining as buff as a wow ork?

the gender of the character means as much as the race.