Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we end up with a subset of servers with a world PvP focus?

raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

I didn’t play the original game.  PvE content and small group, instanced, structured PvP doesn’t interest me.  But I stumbled across a world vs. world video a few weeks ago and now I am definitely giving this a try.

Open world PvP is very dependent on high populations to work well.  One concern I have comes from my experience in Warhammer Online.  That game also offered PvE content, instanced PvP, and world PvP.  My main interest was in the world PvP but even during the very first month when populations were high, it was difficult to find consistent world PvP action.  I realize that WAR split each server’s population into opposing factions and that their tier system split the players up yet again, but I still get the feeling that there will be many GW2 servers where the world PvP action will be less active than other servers.

Over time, players interested primarily in world versus world gameplay will begin migrating to a subset of servers where the majority of players share their primary interest.  I’m not saying this is a bad thing as I can definitely see myself following that path.

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

No, you wont. GW2 PvE is too dependant on players working together on the fly, world PvP would just complicate that.

You can however head straight to the Mists and level up there in World vs World PvP or using Battlegrounds.

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

Originally posted by evilastro

No, you wont. GW2 PvE is too dependant on players working together on the fly, world PvP would just complicate that.

You can however head straight to the Mists and level up there in World vs World PvP or using Battlegrounds.

You completely misunderstood me.  I am not talking about open PvP in the PvE zones.  Read it again.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by raykor

You completely misunderstood me.  I am not talking about open PvP in the PvE zones.  Read it again.

You are right, sorry your wording was confusing.

Probably not. The server player caps on WvWvW would limit any attempt to create a 'super PvP server'. At the moment theres a cap of 600 players per server in the Mists (about 2000 total).

So if everyone flocked to certain servers, they would just get to enjoy watching a queue rather than actual PvP.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I might suggest going to something like guildwarsguru website and find out where some of the larger more popular PVP guilds plan on rolling and go there.

The way the ladder will work is the top servers will be against eachother more often. Logic would seem that the better PvP guilds will effect how high up the ladder you are and because of that the PvP would be more the focus and also the best competition.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I think it is almost guaranteed to happen. That's why the server matchups in WvWvW are being shuffled every two weeks, with the more successful servers being pitted against each other.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

He specifically mentions that World vs World is what interests him in GW2. There was absolutely nothing confusing about his wording if you actually read (not skimmed) his post. Did you only read the thread title?

Over time, players interested primarily in world versus world gameplay will begin migrating to a subset of servers where the majority of players share their primary interest. I’m not saying this is a bad thing as I can definitely see myself following that path.

You can only participate in WvW on your homeserver, and there is a fee (probably gems) to change your homeserver. Such migration would be limited, and even if it happened, matchmaking would ensure you're playing against servers of similar populations.

Originally posted by xenogias

I might suggest going to something like guildwarsguru website and find out where some of the larger more popular PVP guilds plan on rolling and go there.

I recommend not going to Guru and instead waiting for the official forums to launch to look for a guild there.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

You won't play against servers with similar populations but rather servers with like ability as your own server.  So Server ranks 1,2,3 may face off one week but then to change it up during the next match it may be like #1 vs a new #3 vs #5 and give the lower guys a shot at boosting their rank by beating #1.  Of course if #3 and #5 team up, #1 loses in 3rd place and may drop a rank.  Lot of ELO rating can go into this

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

You can only participate in WvW on your homeserver, and there is a fee (probably gems) to change your homeserver.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of a fee associated with changing homeservers.  Regardless, I plan to spend 80% of my time in the WvWvW zone and if the server I am on does not have a whole lot of activity in this area then I will most likely pay the fee.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Arachneus1

You won't play against servers with similar populations but rather servers with like ability as your own server.  So Server ranks 1,2,3 may face off one week but then to change it up during the next match it may be like #1 vs a new #3 vs #5 and give the lower guys a shot at boosting their rank by beating #1.  Of course if #3 and #5 team up, #1 loses in 3rd place and may drop a rank.  Lot of ELO rating can go into this

i think this is why there won't necessarily be a huge amount of migration. i mean, some will want to be on the #1 server for their epeenery needs, but if you love pvp it won't matter where you are because it will always be tough. it

won't be as though you're a hotshot server fighting a few noob servers. it will be balanced out by skill and that's a great thing. there will always be a challenge with this model.

• jaycejayce Member Posts: 133

Open world PvP is very dependent on high populations to work well.  One concern I have comes from my experience in Warhammer Online.  That game also offered PvE content, instanced PvP, and world PvP.  My main interest was in the world PvP but even during the very first month when populations were high, it was difficult to find consistent world PvP action.  I realize that WAR split each server’s population into opposing factions and that their tier system split the players up yet again, but I still get the feeling that there will be many GW2 servers where the world PvP action will be less active than other servers.

i wouldn't worry about low population in WvW unless you're on a home server that just doesn't join in WvW. the main reason (and this is just me taking a logical guess) is that WvW is comprised of three seperate home server populations fighting it out on its own seperate server but with a slightly smaller player cap. for instance, if a normal server complete with DE has a 3-5 thousand player limit cap, the WvW server would have a 2-3 thousand player cap, due to the smaller (but still quite large) map compaired to the size of tyria, but mostly without anywhere near the number of DE and other bells and whistles in a normal server. think of it as a striped down barebone mmo server with the maximum population compacted into a smaller area of the tyria sized map instead of spread out over the entire tyria map.