Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's just a MMO Role Playing Game...

Why is it that with every passing year it becomes harder and harder for some gamers to grasp the difference between a player's character and a player themselves?

I swear this was a lot easier and fun when MMORPGs were ignored by everyone except roleplayers. 

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

Comments

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

There is truth in your words.  image

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Roleplaying is definitely not dead. Thats the joy of RP, you just have to find the right people.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Have to agree here. It seems MMORPGs have been infested with FPS players that want a lobby based action game with more players than they usually have available. It's ALL about the combat and "player skill" anymore...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Notice the lack of big signs saying "ROLEPLAY HERE" in the image posted to this thread.

They didn't ask for permission, they just role-played.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Nimar

There is truth in your words.  image

+1
  • Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by Axehilt

Notice the lack of big signs saying "ROLEPLAY HERE" in the image posted to this thread.

They didn't ask for permission, they just role-played.

But in an MMORPG, there is a sign in the title, the RP of MMORPG. The problem isn't that RP'ers need a sign to play or permission,  they've already got it. The problem is all the non-rp'ers and to a much larger extent people, for some bizarre reason, who are hostile to the idea of roleplaying, coming to an RP place to play. Its like if you held a baseball game and a bunch of people showed up who hate baseball and started playing football in the middle of the field (Which by the way would be great to see in real life if that happened), the problem isn't the baseball players.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Paradigm68

But in an MMORPG, there is a sign in the title, the RP of MMORPG. The problem isn't that RP'ers need a sign to play or permission,  they've already got it. The problem is all the non-rp'ers and to a much larger extent people, for some bizarre reason, who are hostile to the idea of roleplaying, coming to an RP place to play. Its like if you held a baseball game and a bunch of people showed up who hate baseball and started playing football in the middle of the field (Which by the way would be great to see in real life if that happened), the problem isn't the baseball players.

Except people RP all the time in games and it works out fine.

Or at least they did in WOW.  A friend pulled me onto a RP server for a while and you would basically always see people RPing around orgrimmar.  You almost couldn't avoid it.

If you want a self-contained RP experience, you play a self-contained RP game (tabletop RPGs.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

I really miss the old days of role-playing.  Everything was the vision of one person, everyone expected more than just hack and slash carnage.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

You can still find it.  Its out there, but its isolated small groups comprised of RP guilds, and half of those are not really what I'd call a true role playing group.  Im no purist, Im just saying. 

As stupid as this sounds the best recent RP experience I had was in Star Trek Online.  I joined a RP fleet, and that was probably the best RP I had experienced in many years.  Those folks were really into character.  The greatest shame was I quit the game a few weeks after joining, due to the game, not the great RP community I had discovered.  

But finding a good role playing group in any game is like finding the diamond in the ruff.  You could play for years and never find it, although its probably there somewhere.  Or you could play for a week and totally luck out.   And while there are guilds that are far more functional as far as game mechanics go, such as raiding, and really hardcore playing together, I'd trade that 100 times over to find a good RP guild that hardly ever does anything together except meet up and RP.   I'll take good RP over any kind of real game functionality regarding a guild or group. 

Of course Im an old theater major, so go figure. 

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

My characters are me, just different aspects of myself exaggerated and wrapped in fantasy.  I've never played characters the way an actor picks up a script and leaves themselves behind, nor do I expect others to play them that way.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Except people RP all the time in games and it works out fine.

Or at least they did in WOW.  A friend pulled me onto a RP server for a while and you would basically always see people RPing around orgrimmar.  You almost couldn't avoid it.

If you want a self-contained RP experience, you play a self-contained RP game (tabletop RPGs.)

But the point is you claimed there was no "roleplay here" sign and in fact there is. The genre itself is the sign.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

If you think about it, every single person who enters a game for the purpose of playing its content is to a degree Role Playing.No matter what they name their toon, how they talk in chat, they are walking around as a Orc,Dwarf,Tank, Space Marine,Jedi,...killing others with a Sword,Chain Saw,Hammer,,,They are not walking around in jeans checking their cell. But even that done in a virtual game would be....Role Playing.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

I don't count simply talking IC as roleplay. thus, in my opinion, role playing has never existed except in a few select sandbox games (UO being one notable exception).

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by maplestone

My characters are me, just different aspects of myself exaggerated and wrapped in fantasy.  I've never played characters the way an actor picks up a script and leaves themselves behind, nor do I expect others to play them that way.

same maplestone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does it this way. It doesn't  imply we can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy. If that were the case, life would be a whole lot easier! image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by SlaverHound

Why is it that with every passing year it becomes harder and harder for some gamers to grasp the difference between a player's character and a player themselves?

I swear this was a lot easier and fun when MMORPGs were ignored by everyone except roleplayers. 

It's a situation that's exacerbated by lack of sportsmanship, as well.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by SlaverHound

It seems quite some people like to play games from other genres (FPS, RTS, MOBA, DOTA, whatever) but these genres don't provide a massively multiplayer experience. Thus these people have now come into the MMORPG genre (although they don't like RPGs) and are bitching that MMORPGs don't provide the style of gameplay they want from their FPS, RTS, MOBA, DOTA, whatever. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.