Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This MMO is revolutionary for one reason...

Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

It has a day/night cycle.

A nice change of pace from the constant day/night in other games and MMOs, or the day/night not being dynamic and only happening at certain parts of the story.

This is revolutionary because a lot of games are starting to get rid of the day/night, because it is much too hard to code. However, Arenanet sees the power of the day/night and even has certain events happen depending on the time of day.

Arenanet has proven that even the hardest thing to code in a game (MMO or singleplayer) is day/night and they've done it.

Nice job Arenanet. :D

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wait what? *Checks MMos* But... a lot of them actually have day/night... heck... a large majority. Its actually very easy to code in the transition, it would only become a bit more 'troublesome' if your looking at it from the prospect of having time based events... but even then its already existed in many games. Aion for example has npcs that only appear at certain times and has things adjust depeneding on the time of day in some places. 

Not to bash this, but to call it revolutionary is a bit of a stretch considering its been around for a good deal of time and already done in a lot of games.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

lol... This won't end well.

I like Guild Wars 2 as much as the next guy who's waiting for April 10th to throw their money away. But even I know this feature isn't revolutionary. It's a great implementation of a fairly common feature though. image

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

You do know that a day/night cycle isn't even remotely new?  Most games removed or never implemented it in response to player complaints.

But step back to EverQuest in 1999, the nights there were black as sin and without a light source or a source of night vision you basically couldn't play for a third of the day cycle.  DAoC, Vanguard, Horizons, Asheron's Call, so so many others had day/night cycles as well.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I think calling it a "revolution" is not nearly doing it enough credit, personally ... it's a veritable paradigm shift!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Hero engine has it as a simple turn on turn off built in feature, however let me congratulate Anet for this revolutionary new feature.
  • ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

It would be nice if night was really night and completely dark  like in EQ1.  12-13 years later I still recall the feeling of being terrified walking around Kithicor Forest in the dark knowing that special monsters roamed the forest in the dark.

Originally posted by DarkPony

I think calling it a "revolution" is not nearly doing it enough credit, personally ... it's a veritable paradigm shift!

There are people on the SwTOR forums arguing against it as it would break their immersion more having NPCs in the same place both day and night so going against such received wisdom might well be a paradigm shift.
    Originally posted by Zippy

It would be nice if night wasreally night like EQ1.  12-13 years later I still recall the feeling of being terrified walking around Kithicor Forest in the dark knowing that special monsters roamed the forest in the dark.

That was one of the things I liked about MO, nighttime was actually dark.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

dammit Pony get serious! image Can't you sense the urgency of the situation at hand?!! A lot of neurons have been lost, we are in mourning...

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

It isn't even close  to revolutionary on this score; in eq1 back in the day if you were human and not a necro, you couldn't even see at night it was so dark.(this was very early)

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368

Sorry to say it but as soon as I read this I thought of an old article from a ways back. http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=160421

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

So now we're giving Arena Net credit for doing stuff that's been done in other MMOs?  Man, those guys are living a charmed life.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Guess you haven't played LOTRO.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Only game with good day/night cycles was EQ and I am sure no other game will ever implement it like they did.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Whilel we're lauding Arena Net for their "think outside the box" mindset, I'd also like to use this opportunity to applaud them for including weapons in the game.  I can't tell you how sick and tired I am of always having to beat up mobs with my bare hands in other MMOs.  This is a true revolution in gaming, folks!

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368

Well as long as they don't start calling GW2 a fine steak and all other games Mcdonalds I think they are safe.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Only game with good day/night cycles was EQ and I am sure no other game will ever implement it like they did.

lol

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The OP is just practicing the art of creating a misleading, provocative title to attract readers to a otherwise ordinary content.  Maybe he's applying to write for AOL news.  

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Kuppa

dammit Pony get serious! image Can't you sense the urgency of the situation at hand?!! A lot of neurons have been lost, we are in mourning...

©

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Reading the GW2 forums here really provides good entertainment value. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Isasis

A nice change of pace from the constant day/night in other games and MMOs, or the day/night not being dynamic and only happening at certain parts of the story.

This is revolutionary because a lot of games are starting to get rid of the day/night, because it is much too hard to code. However, Arenanet sees the power of the day/night and even has certain events happen depending on the time of day.

Arenanet has proven that even the hardest thing to code in a game (MMO or singleplayer) is day/night and they've done it.

This post wasn't serious was it?  For the hope of mankind, I hope this was a bit of a jest...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Not sure if serious or stuck in 80's ...

OP you cant be serious right? :D

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

I would have agreed if the night cycle was actually really dark.

• DezyneDezyne Member Posts: 9

Of course a day/night cycle is revolutionary.  Planetary rotation is the essence of revolution.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Isasis

err what? the hardest thing to code????

I followed a unity tutorial creating a day and night cycle and it worked fine... im not even a coder..

Or are you taking the piss?