Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New EVE drama

Comments

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by kcannon

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Originally posted by uohaloran

It's pretty clear that the player he's talking about has other issues.  If you're able to become that upset because of a game, it's not anyone's fault but your own.

That otehr person's problems are his own and not someone else's to decide how and what to do with them.

That other person has made a statement that he does not care about what was said and that he has never had suicidal thoughts. It was simply rage from being ganked in his mining ship

And what would you say to down play massive public humiliation?

Well if this guy was soo pissed off about it he could have petitioned CCP, if this was to have happened then things would be different. However he did not so really people should stop jumping on the bandwagon

The point is, by this time, this other player...already unstable...is now under extreme duress having been made a public spectacle....You can't expect him to respond rationally here.

• kcannonkcannon Member UncommonPosts: 29

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Dragonantis

Im suprised he wasnt just banned outright for saying that stuff on a live broadcast. Or was he banned, I dont read much into Eve News?

No he wasnt banned, And I cannot see him ever being banned. He has not broken any rules

The rules he broke were clearly posted all over the place.

Then post them here for everyone else to see

1. You may not abuse, harass or threaten another player or authorized representative of CCP, including customer service personnel and volunteers. This includes, but is not limited to: petitioning with false information in an attempt to gain from it or have someone else suffer from it; sending excessive e-mails, EVE-mails or petitions; obstructing CCP Employees from doing their jobs; refusal to follow the instructions of a CCP Employee; or implying favoritism by a CCP Employee.

2. You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner as the actual use of such words.)

3. You may not organize nor be a member of any corporation or group within EVE Online that is based on or advocates any anti-ethnic, anti-gay, anti-religious, racist, sexist or other hate-mongering philosophies

4. You may not use “role-playing” as an excuse to violate these rules. While EVE Online is a persistent world, fantasy role-playing game, the claim of role-playing is not an acceptable defense for anti-social behavior. Role-playing is encouraged, but not at the expense of other player. You may not create or participate in a corporation or group that habitually violates this policy.

5. You will report out-of-game issues regarding harassment, such as threatening phone calls or correspondence, to your local law enforcement officials or Internet provider. CCP will not reveal personal information about its subscribers to unauthorized individuals. We are not responsible for actions taken by our subscribers that occur outside the jurisdiction of our game servers or web site.

Well Rules 1 to 5 right at the top of the ToS would appear to cover most of the bases.

Yep ToS which is for ingame, this was neither ingame nor on the official forums.

Im suprised he wasnt just banned outright for saying that stuff on a live broadcast. Or was he banned, I dont read much into Eve News?

No he wasnt banned, And I cannot see him ever being banned. He has not broken any rules

1. You may not abuse, harass or threaten another player or authorized representative of CCP, including customer service personnel and volunteers. This includes, but is not limited to: petitioning with false information in an attempt to gain from it or have someone else suffer from it; sending excessive e-mails, EVE-mails or petitions; obstructing CCP Employees from doing their jobs; refusal to follow the instructions of a CCP Employee; or implying favoritism by a CCP Employee.

2. You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner as the actual use of such words.)

3. You may not organize nor be a member of any corporation or group within EVE Online that is based on or advocates any anti-ethnic, anti-gay, anti-religious, racist, sexist or other hate-mongering philosophies

4. You may not use “role-playing” as an excuse to violate these rules. While EVE Online is a persistent world, fantasy role-playing game, the claim of role-playing is not an acceptable defense for anti-social behavior. Role-playing is encouraged, but not at the expense of other player. You may not create or participate in a corporation or group that habitually violates this policy.

5. You will report out-of-game issues regarding harassment, such as threatening phone calls or correspondence, to your local law enforcement officials or Internet provider. CCP will not reveal personal information about its subscribers to unauthorized individuals. We are not responsible for actions taken by our subscribers that occur outside the jurisdiction of our game servers or web site.

Well Rules 1 to 5 right at the top of the ToS would appear to cover most of the bases.

Yep ToS which is for ingame, this was neither ingame nor on the official forums.

But it was  in game.

Had he called for action to be taken against the player outside the game, this obviously would have escalated this scandal to a much greater degree.

But it was that he called for this person to be bullied in game.

And yes, it was an official CCP forum.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Man, he used an official CCP platform to call for the in game harassment of someone with mental health issues with the express purpose of driving him to commit suicide, this was publically broadcast as part of the CCP coverage of their official event. I am not really sure how it can A. Be justifiable. B. not be against their catch all ToS or C. In CCP's interests (especially with their new partners such as Sony's publicly stated policies on cyber bullying) to keep this clusterfuck rolling down the hill gaining bad publicity.

The Mittani needs to step up and step down fast.

Man, he used an official CCP platform to call for the in game harassment of someone with mental health issues with the express purpose of driving him to commit suicide, this was publically broadcast as part of the CCP coverage of their official event. I am not really sure how it can A. Be justifiable. B. not be against their catch all ToS or C. In CCP's interests (especially with their new partners such as Sony's publicly stated policies on cyber bullying) to keep this clusterfuck rolling down the hill gaining bad publicity.

The Mittani needs to step up and step down fast.

@Kcannon:

Ref and I both see it clearly. The same thing the same way.

It's not like we are blowing this out of proportion.

Let me tell you. While it was a minor event overall. There was a few weeks where my daughter had a friend turn and all kinds of crap was put in Facebook.

You just have no idea here what it's like.

Edit: Well, maybe you do, that was wrong for me to assume

No I can not possibly understand the grief people could possibly go through, I have only ever known one person who commited suicide and I only knew him when I was young and at the time did not fully take it in. I do still think of this person however I had no real bond with him.

This I will leave here. It is not a troll post of any sort

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

I wish I was at that pannel so I could throw a water bottle at his head. or a shoe......

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

I read what the guy said as well as the thread with his apology, and honestly I think that he should resign.  The only people in his defense are peopel who are in his corp, whcih is obviously going to be what happens because those are his friends who then claim they "know" him.  This guy went over the line because it's a video game formal event.  I'm heavily in favor of free speech but there's a time not to do this kind of thing.

And the first amendment bars speech that endagers lives in a direct fashion.  What would happen if the kid really did kill himself afterwards?  He should step down, he's an obnoxious baby and has zero sense of responsibility.  His apology is so easily faked.  Sincerity is very easily faked by those who can manipulate in the first place and apologies are worthless in most cases.  There's one good thing to do, which is at the very least to resign from whatever position he's in and at the most suffer a ban of a week or two.

And no, it's not a big deal  that he gave the kid some in-game money.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

The Mittani provided name of the character that could only be reached through use of EVE account, which is regulated by EULA/TOS.

Originally posted by lethys

The only people in his defense are peopel who are in his corp, whcih is obviously going to be what happens because those are his friends who then claim they "know" him. 

No not the only people in his corp are defending him, I personally have never been in a goon corp /alliance and never even been blue to them ingame, however many people can see the good which has come from him being chairman of CSM last year and do not wish the drunken remarks to destroy the momentum that he has brought into the CSM.

And for those saying there was prior malice, there was none. Yes the mail was posted but no name was added into the presentation. These mails are posted to multiple places daily

I read what the guy said as well as the thread with his apology, and honestly I think that he should resign.  The only people in his defense are peopel who are in his corp, whcih is obviously going to be what happens because those are his friends who then claim they "know" him.  This guy went over the line because it's a video game formal event.  I'm heavily in favor of free speech but there's a time not to do this kind of thing.

And the first amendment bars speech that endagers lives in a direct fashion.  What would happen if the kid really did kill himself afterwards?  He should step down, he's an obnoxious baby and has zero sense of responsibility.  His apology is so easily faked.  Sincerity is very easily faked by those who can manipulate in the first place and apologies are worthless in most cases.  There's one good thing to do, which is at the very least to resign from whatever position he's in and at the most suffer a ban of a week or two.

And no, it's not a big deal  that he gave the kid some in-game money.

I agree.

Freedom of speech?

To keep that, we must be responsible with it. If as a society we continuously abuse it, we will lose it.

And what's more, Freedom of speech does not mean you have freedom from consequences. But I guess that is really tied in with being responsible,

As far as In game money.....HA! He'll be lucky if he doesn't end up having to give him some out of game money.

The only people in his defense are peopel who are in his corp, whcih is obviously going to be what happens because those are his friends who then claim they "know" him. 

No not the only people in his corp are defending him, I personally have never been in a goon corp /alliance and never even been blue to them ingame, however many people can see the good which has come from him being chairman of CSM last year and do not wish the drunken remarks to destroy the momentum that he has brought into the CSM.

And for those saying there was prior malice, there was none. Yes the mail was posted but no name was added into the presentation. These mails are posted to multiple places daily

I quote

No I can not possibly understand the grief people could possibly go through, I have only ever known one person who commited suicide and I only knew him when I was young and at the time did not fully take it in. I do still think of this person however I had no real bond with him.

This I will leave here. It is not a troll post of any sort

Yes?

Regardless of how any of us feels,

This man's irresponsibility has kicked up a PR sh!7 storm both personally and for CCP.

It can't go unaddressed and a semi-public apology may not be enough.

If all he ends up needing to do is to resign from EVE permanently. He's still going to be one lucky SOB.

I wouldn't be surprised if at this moment, he's transferring large amounts of in game wealth to his trusted friends in game.

So when he comes back as an annonymous "noob" he'll be an EVE success story........... again.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I wouldn't be surprised if at this moment, he's transferring large amounts of in game wealth to his trusted friends in game.

So when he comes back as an annonymous "noob" he'll be an EVE success story........... again.

Oh yes, he most certainly is, even if he doesn't resign, he will be harrassed ingame so he will give his account up.

Originally posted by AdamTM

Oh yes, he most certainly is, even if he doesn't resign, he will be harrassed ingame so he will give his account up.

Could not see this happening over this, Go back and read the history of The Mitanni enough people have tried before and I cant see him ever being Harrassed out of game

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Puremallace

I guess you can file this article under the wtf column

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ccp-investigates-player-panel-that-encouraged-cyber-bullying/

EVE Online's annual Fanfest is an opportunity for players from across the world to share stories of the year's big events, political actions, and epic battles won and lost. Each year, player speakers from the game's biggest and most influential alliances are invited to take part in the Alliance Panel at Fanfest, where they can talk about their organisation and what it's done over the preceding year. Massively got a hold of a copy of this year's Alliance Panel, and unfortunately it was marked by something more distressing than the usual political ego-buffing and mass consumption of alcohol.

GoonSwarm alliance speaker and second-time CSM chairman Alexander 'The Mittani' Gianturco gave a talk on some of the year's most memorable alliance activities, from shutting down Ice Mining operations across several regions to scamming people with fake supercapital ship trades. As part of the talk, Alex aired a private correspondence in which a victim revealed that he'd been severely depressed following a divorce and expressed suicidal thoughts. "We're sure that he's not dead," Alex flippantly remarked during the talk, before adding that "he might have committed suicide."

Read on for the full details of what Alex said to encourage the event's thousands of viewers to engage in cyber-bullying, as well as the response from CCP.

While a flippant remark that the victim may have killed himself could possibly be seen as drunken banter intended to embellish the impact of the story, later in the talk Alex actually gave the name of the pilot and encouraged players to harass him in order to make him commit suicide. "Incidentally, if you want to make the guy kill himself, his name is [REMOVED]," Alex said, adding that "he has his own corp. Find him." The entire talk was watched by a packed room of Fanfest attendees and streamed live to thousands of players at home. Alex told players to "deal with it" when complaints surfaced on the EVE forum.

With people still heading home from Fanfest, CCP responded to tell us they are investigating the issue and will get back to us with the results as soon as they can. Public Relations specialist Ned Coker told Eurogamer that CCP is "undertaking a full internal review of this panel as well as the process used for vetting the panel's materials," adding that "Even though this panel was billed as unfiltered by CCP, we expect public presentations to be courteous and professional towards others." Ned also confirmed that "CCP will be very vigilant in monitoring any behaviour directed towards the individual named in the presentation."

I don't get the point of fanfest anyways. A bunch of guys spend large amounts of money to fly across the planets and drink and party with other guys. 

Could not see this happening over this, Go back and read the history of The Mitanni enough people have tried before and I cant see him ever being Harrassed out of game

I agree with that, GS support him fully and refuse to see he has done wrong, only way he is out is if CCP ban him, at which point he rolls an alt.

However CCP need to get a grip and fast.
  • CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Harassed how? This dude literally stomps his feet -in game- and 1000 goons in disposable battleships come over the horizon. My alliance roamed in goon controlled space frequently the past few weeks and they form up defense fleets within 30 minutes that actually zerg the shit out of you until you have no ships left. Your best bet at that point is to beat whatever they have on the field and break out before more show up.

They are pretty big ass hats but despite public perceptions they are pretty damn well organized and Mr Cyberbully is the one that honed them into a fine tuned war machine. (in game)

Originally posted by Uronksur

I don't get the point of fanfest anyways. A bunch of guys spend large amounts of money to fly across the planets and drink and party with other guys. 

Well for one its not just guys theres plenty of females there, also this is the one time of year that players can talk face to face with the devs of the game that they love. This is also when CCP show off all the new stuff they want to put in their games. Its just the same as Blizzcon

• WilyWeaselWilyWeasel Member Posts: 9

Its a Goon Thing.

So many people support Mittens, even though the guys a proven w*nker.  CCP have to back down on this, they allow the voting of the CSM's, if that fails cause some asshat got drunk, its thier fault.

Personally I'd just destroy Goons holdings, they have already proved what they are.. basically a bunch of cowards hiding behind the internet and a guy who cant control his ego :)

All the scamming and dumb sh*t they pull.. have they ever heard the phrase "Just cause one can do a thing, does not mean one should"

Im not a carebear by any stretch, but damn, these guys need help.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Uronksur

Well for one its not just guys theres plenty of females there, also this is the one time of year that players can talk face to face with the devs of the game that they love. This is also when CCP show off all the new stuff they want to put in their games. Its just the same as Blizzcon

If there are really "plenty" there, they need to stop using only pictures that contain only men with maybe the rare, single elusive female in their Fanfest advertisements. By the way, I'm not counting venue employees.

As for the rest of it, that's fine I guess. I'm just not that rich or wildly into a game that I'm going to spend around a thousand dollars to fly around the world just for that.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by WilyWeasel

Personally I'd just destroy Goons holdings, they have already proved what they are.. basically a bunch of cowards hiding behind the internet and a guy who cant control his ego :)

All the scamming and dumb sh*t they pull.. have they ever heard the phrase "Just cause one can do a thing, does not mean one should"

You can't just destroy an alliance's holdings there will be a power vacuum, accusations of devs playing favorites (whoever benefits from an alliance being banned is the favorite etc). The point of the game is egos and alliance pride, CCP encourages it. Goons are just trying to push the limits of it to stand out among all the other alliances, attention whoring isn't a bannable offense.

• WilyWeaselWilyWeasel Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Calfis

Originally posted by WilyWeasel

You can't just destroy an alliance's holdings there will be a power vacuum, accusations of devs playing favorites (whoever benefits from an alliance being banned is the favorite etc). The point of the game is egos and alliance pride, CCP encourages it. Goons are just trying to push the limits of it to stand out among all the other alliances, attention whoring isn't a bannable offense.

I agree, there would be a vacuum, but thats what Eve needs right now.  

Besides.. Attention whoring may not be a bannable offence, but inciting people to violate the codes of conduct is.. even though most normal people would frown on verbally assaulting someone with mental health issues.

There has been an outpouring of defence for Mittens stupidity..  Which even he has said was wrong in his apology.. what does that say for Goons members..

If they defend him that blindly they are even stupider than I thought.. I even read some of the posts on the Eve forum saying "Well if he does kill himself its one less ass**** in the world"

I mean.. folks.. thats just wrong.