Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New EVE drama

Comments

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Originally posted by DLangley

Stay on topic and do not personally attack other users.

Speaking of "personal attacks", has anyone posted this guy's home address or phone yet?

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

At least hes standing for what he has done. (I still suspect hes trolling).

Also the "suicidal" guy doesn't seem to care all that much (if this log is correct):

[21:10:18] Xeross155 > Heya

[21:10:22] The Wis > Hello

[21:10:29] Xeross155 > Getting swarmed with interviews I can imagine

[21:10:50] The Wis > No why?

[21:11:57] Xeross155 > With this BS and all http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ccp-investigates-player-panel-that-encouraged-cyber-bullying/

[21:12:21] Xeross155 > Pretty sure the name Mittani called out was "The Wis"

[21:12:31] The Wis > Oh I will have to check that out.. What is going on?

[21:12:58] Xeross155 > You sent him a mail when you got scammed and your Mackinaws destroyed or smth

[21:13:41] Xeross155 > Or at least one of his alliance mates

[21:14:13] The Wis > Could have.. been a long time. Might have been when they had the safe mining offer when you guys were doing your anti ice thing.

[21:15:08] The Wis > I did have someone ask me if I was ok.. Becouse he said that I had killed myself afterwards and he thought it was funny.. I did not see it so I have no clue what was said.

[21:15:52] Xeross155 > Basically some idiots are all butthurt and are calling for him to step down from CSM and ****

[21:16:51] Xeross155 > Basically, enjoy your 5 minutes of fame, multiple gaming press websites are putting the story up

[21:16:58] Xeross155 > Leaving out your name though

[21:16:59] Xeross155 > one sec

[21:19:54] The Wis > Well I am not sure what is going on.. I know I have had some people say I should put a pentition in. Witch I have not. Since I have not seen the video or anything. But that would also explain why the goons are moving into my system now and starting

[21:19:57] The Wis > ganking here.

[21:24:54] Xeross155 > http://youtu.be/E7Ki91U-mBE?t=1h11m55s

[21:26:17] Xeross155 > That's basically the snippet that people are upset about for some reason

[21:29:34] Xeross155 > Anyway, CCP is doing an internal audit and **** about it, 3 game news websites have reported it so far, basically tagging it cyber-bullying

[21:30:50] The Wis > Ok.. Well that is nice. Hmm.. wait.. If i do kill my self they might arrest him and prosicute him since he is in the US.. That would really be bad for him.

[21:31:01] The Wis > Just kidding of course but a thought.

[21:31:20] The Wis > Fly safe. I have real life stuff to do now.. ANd to watch for goons in system.. Fun Fun.

Edit: full quote.

• camel2thcamel2th Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by dave6660

What if this turns out to be a Goon hoax?  Wouldn't that be shocking.

It`s not a Goon hoax

The Mittani really put his foot in his mouth this time...

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Originally posted by Kuro1n

We'll see.  After what I've read I don't think this guy has enough class to follow through.

• BandenBanden Member Posts: 83

First of all, I am not in any way affiliated with the goons, so what Im about to say is not biased because Im a fanboi or because Im a goon myself....

What I am is a purist. There is real life and then there is the fantasy that is the game. Real life has no place in a game, it stays disconnected otherwise what the fuck is the point? The point of playing an RPG, is that you play to be someone else because your own life is boring or shitty. shit you think I dont have problems? You think goons dont have problems? You think The mittani dont have problems? Everyone has them, the difference is that they check them in when they log on. The supposed suicidal person (we can only take him by his ingame words and incidently also The mittanis words, which by definition has little or no meaning IRL) should have checked his problems before logging in. Oh, and most of all NOT have fallen for a cheap scam done by people who are widely known as scammers.

Your upset feelings seem to stem from the fact that you seem to think that being empathetic towards a person right in front of you in real life telling you that they are suicidal and being empathetic towards a person on the other end of a internet connection is the same thing. Unless it is expressedly your reason to be there because you need someone to talk to, that is NOT the case. For many people in Eve, their reason to be there is quite often the exact opposite, and thats totally fine because its socially accepted in the game, if you dont like that accord then you shouldnt play the game.

Is anyone not questioning the sanity of seeking sympathy from a person who just scammed you in a game which is mostly about terror and violence? Is that even plausible? Should we trust the person saying that? Come on people.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Banden

First of all, I am not in any way affiliated with the goons, so what Im about to say is not biased because Im a fanboi or because Im a goon myself....

What I am is a purist. There is real life and then there is the fantasy that is the game. Real life has no place in a game, it stays disconnected otherwise what the fuck is the point? The point of playing an RPG, is that you play to be someone else because your own life is boring or shitty. shit you think I dont have problems? You think goons dont have problems? You think The mittani dont have problems? Everyone has them, the difference is that they check them in when they log on. The supposed suicidal person (we can only take him by his ingame words and incidently also The mittanis words, which by definition has little or no meaning IRL) should have checked his problems before logging in. Oh, and most of all NOT have fallen for a cheap scam done by people who are widely known as scammers.

Your upset feelings seem to stem from the fact that you seem to think that being empathetic towards a person right in front of you in real life telling you that they are suicidal and being empathetic towards a person on the other end of a internet connection is the same thing. Unless it is expressedly your reason to be there because you need someone to talk to, that is NOT the case. For many people in Eve, their reason to be there is quite often the exact opposite, and thats totally fine because its socially accepted in the game, if you dont like that accord then you shouldnt play the game.

Is anyone not questioning the sanity of seeking sympathy from a person who just scammed you in a game which is mostly about terror and violence? Is that even plausible? Should we trust the person saying that? Come on people.

Might as well give this stance up, people will just bash you for it here it seems. I agree with you, he took his problems to the completely wrong person.

It's like telling a robber that you are suicidal only in this case robbery was part of the game. Yet what Mittani did was not a good thing I agree taking it back to real life.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Let assume any of it's true for a moment. There are lots of people out there who are in shaky states of mind who play computer games obsessively as an escape, rightly or wrongly.  Even if the guy he's talking about isn't in fact suicidal, you have to assume he is because there's potentially a life at stake and it might not take much to push someone in that state over the edge. Am I suggesting he not target or scam this guy in-game - not necessarily as them's the rules of the game, everyone should know this by now and we can't be omnicient of other players personal matters when playing. But encouraging people to drive the guy to suicide when he has every reason to believe that he may very well be suicidal is a step way too far over the line past basic human decency. Down with that sort of thing. 

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

Let assume any of it's true for a moment. There are lots of people out there who are in shaky states of mind who play computer games obsessively as an escape, rightly or wrongly.  Even if the guy he's talking about isn't in fact suicidal, you have to assume he is because there's potentially a life at stake and it might not take much to push someone in that state over the edge. Am I suggesting he not target or scam this guy in-game - not necessarily as them's the rules of the game, everyone should know this by now and we can't be omnicient of other players personal matters when playing. But encouraging people to drive the guy to suicide when he has every reason to believe that he may very well be suicidal is a step way too far over the line past basic human decency. Down with that sort of thing. 

You dont have to believe anything someone says in a game dude. Like I just said, other rules apply. You dont need to assume that the guy is suicidal. The gameworld is full of treachery in all other aspects. I am not condoning the harrasment, but if The mittani had actually found himself to be mercyfull and end up getting scammed back, you probably wouldnt be as disgusted with the victim for pretending to be suicidal, would you?

Actually if The mittani is in breach of the EULA then sure he should be punished for encouraging harrasment, but what happened in game should stay in game.

• loreofchaosloreofchaos Member Posts: 316

Human decency, now there's a oxymoron.

Take a deep drink of your demon Lad, tonight we tangle with the fire in the gut.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

You dont have to believe anything someone says in a game dude. Like I just said, other rules apply. You dont need to assume that the guy is suicidal. The gameworld is full of treachery in all other aspects. I am not condoning the harrasment, but if The mittani had actually found himself to be mercyfull and end up getting scammed back, you probably wouldnt be as disgusted with the victim for pretending to be suicidal, would you?

It wasn't about anything that happened in game, it went wrong when in real life Alex Whateverhisnameis, used a public platform to call for the harassment of a man, whether or not theother guy was suicidal or not you don't try to encourage it.
  • warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by TookyG

He said the guy's in-game name.  This is nothing more than saying, "Hey, let's go kill that paladin over there named 'lawlipwnu.'"

either your seriousley screwed in the head, or you didnt read before commenting.

Encouraging people to harrass someone else into commiting suicide is certainly NOT the same as saying hey go kill this guy in game, in no world.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

if The mittani had actually found himself to be mercyfull and end up getting scammed back, you probably wouldnt be as disgusted with the victim for pretending to be suicidal, would you?

I don't fully understand how Mittani would get scammed by not asking people to encourage a potentially suicidal player to kill himself. No one is saying he shouldn't be ruthless as he wants in game piracy terms, the game's the game. I personally think it is FAR more likely that anyone saying they're suicidal in a game is bullshitting because people who ARE actually suicidal tend not to blarb on it, esepcially not in games like Eve. Still, he (Mittani) doesn't know that and that makes him a prick on stilts., even if he might not be deemed ban-able.  

Well, reading a lot of these posts, a lot of you seem to be disgusted with what he did IN GAME, which is plainly bullshit, for the reasons Ihve stated in my previous posts.

He behaved badly at his fanfest presentation where he was, as I understand, blasted out of his mind. Incidently at new years I myself got so drunk I danced around naked and dickslapped a dude on the hand. Alcohol is bad, Mkay.

You should read http://www.evenews24.com/2012/03/27/failing-in-so-many-ways-the-mittani-%E2%80%93-hero/

There is a loooooot of hate for this guy in community because of stuff that has gone on in game and it goes without saying that  certain people find it very easy to get outraged with his antics IRL. There is a lot of politics involved aswell.

Well, reading a lot of these posts, a lot of you seem to be disgusted with what he did IN GAME, which is plainly bullshit, for the reasons Ihve stated in my previous posts.
    He behaved badly at his fanfest presentation where he was, as I understand, blasted out of his mind. Incidently at new years I myself got so drunk I danced around naked and dickslapped a dude on the hand. Alcohol is bad, Mkay.

You should read http://www.evenews24.com/2012/03/27/failing-in-so-many-ways-the-mittani-%E2%80%93-hero/

There is a loooooot of hate for this guy in community because of stuff that has gone on in game and it goes without saying that  certain people find it very easy to get outraged with his antics IRL. There is a lot of politics involved aswell.

He used a public platform to call for the harassment of a man on the grounds the man had told him he was suicidal in game. The game or it's politics don't matter at that point. He will be lucky if he isn't charged with a crime. He has apologised to the public and the individual concerned and now needs to resign from the CSM or be kicked from it, CCP cannot have him be in a place of responsibility in a public role, it's very bad for business.

I no longer play EvE and have no issue with the Goons in game antics, they add good colour to the game.

Originally posted by RefMinor

He used a public platform to call for the harassment of a man on the grounds the man had told him he was suicidal in game. The game or it's politics don't matter at that point. He will be lucky if he isn't charged with a crime. He has apologised to the public and the individual concerned and now needs to resign from the CSM or be kicked from it, CCP cannot have him be in a place of responsibility in a public role, it's very bad for business.

I no longer play EvE and have no issue with the Goons in game antics, they add good colour to the game.

While drunk, he encouraged harrasment of an ingame avatar, thats the extent of his wrongdoing. What the guy told him in game is pointless, Alex' relating what he was told in game is pointless and you never done stupid stuff when you were drunk?

While drunk, he encouraged harrasment of an ingame avatar, thats the extent of his wrongdoing. What the guy told him in game is pointless, Alex' relating what he was told in game is pointless and you never done stupid stuff when you were drunk?

He used a public platform to call on people to harass a suicidal man into death, not really sure how that can be successfully justified.

He used a public platform to call on people to harass a suicidal man into death, not really sure how that can be successfully justified.

Hardly, but you seem intent to see it this way and be outraged, so go ahead. :)

From your own link

The Mittani: Incidentally, if you want to make the guy kill himself, his name is (edited by RefMinor). He has his own corp. Find him.

If I had done that at a corporate event I would currently be suspended until they could sack me for gross misconduct. CCP are a business, if someone representing their company (in the real world he is, game democracy aside) does that it is an untenable position.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Can't really justify it given it was a public event, or in the very least it was clear it would be made public at some point.

But some of the white knighting about it is a tad ironic. Given that a large number of people who are up in arms about it or feigning moral indignation more than likely spend time slagging people off on public forums or lurking on websites which churn out far, far worse on a day to day basis.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

@ OP Considering this article is true, I heard somethings about Goon Swarm in Fallen Earth before.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ccp-investigates-player-panel-that-encouraged-cyber-bullying/

After reading this article I don't know much to say other than I have seen Similar behavor in other MMORPG based titles recently, however out of every MMORPG based title I have played which is quite a few if you count every Free 2 Play game I have played, tried, or subscribed to I have seen Cyber Bullying in the following games, or SandBox Titles.

1. Second Life, is full of griefing, harassment, scams, and Cyber Bullying, as well as people griefing of course.

2. Fallen Earth is the most recent one I have seen this type of behavor in as a clan called Exile which to me is just like what I read about Goon Swarm, they want everything to be their way, if you disagree with a Decision, they KOS you. if they believe you are someone else they had on KOS, or didn't like they spread rumors, and accusations about you in chat, and this is a constant thing.

They even attack their own faction members, and pick on certain people because they are parts of certain clans just because they do not like the way the clan works, which leads to one thing. They are more than welcome to run their own clan any way they please, but they have no right to do harassmetn to others in game chat, or cause other palyers to loose enjoyment of the game. * I guess I should be glad that I changed my faction quite aways ago to get rid of their drama, but I will say that I feel Cyber Bullying in these SandBox titles is going way too far, and game companies like CCP, G1, and Linden Lab need to start taking action to protect its players & customers. I will say that I have logged over 400 snapshots, and sent in dates and times of harassment/bullying claims to G1 which break their rules, but as a company G1 doesn't seem to care so I wonder if CCP will care about CyberBully's in EVE.

Cyber Bullying seems to be a thing that is growing in SandBox titles and becomming more and more common starts out as a basic Troll, then turns into griefing, and just gets worse. I can't really say much about the In Game Scams, all I can say is in Sand Box titles like Face OF Mankind, EVE, DarkFall, Second Life, be really carefull who you trade, and do business with, never just hand over items/funds, and expect that they will keep their end of the deal because you may loose them, and I would say that is part of the game like it or not just like PVP is part of EVE, although I don't agree with attacking Unarmed miners without a reason there are those who like to RP Pirates, and that is okay because EVE is a big game/sandbox.

The Problem However is when a game turns out to be more than a game for example someone who has mental issues, and is talking about suicide or something, and a person tries to make them commit suicide, or makes death threats, or threats of physical harm in real life then this is when it goes way too far, and somethign should really be done.

Although I will say that some companies such as G1, and CCP should step into deal with Cyberbully's/ punk kids in EVE, and their MMO titles. For example if I post a link to someones private information in the game without consent, and it is reported they should take action against my account, if I post something about another person on facebook for example such as a threat, and do not do anything in game, thent here is nothing CCP could do, however any type of threats in game beyond normal gameplay should be dealt with if it does occur in their service.

** This does not enclude Law Enforcement, or file of a complaint with the company hosting the content such as YouTube, or FaceBook, as it is possible to do such.**

The most I would normally do to get back at someone in a PVP MMORPG/SandBox title is go back and kill them in the game of course, or if it is a game like DarkFall they knock down ours we go knock down theirs, a game like EVE online revenge can be quite easy someone destroys your ship or something go get them back, there is really no need for this type of conduct in EVE, and totally disguesting I hope that CCP does something to protect its players from things that do occur in game.

Yep More Drama just as you said.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

From your own link

The Mittani: Incidentally, if you want to make the guy kill himself, his name is (edited by RefMinor). He has his own corp. Find him.

If I had done that at a corporate event I would currently be suspended until they could sack me for gross misconduct. CCP are a business, if someone representing their company (in the real world he is, game democracy aside) does that it is an untenable position.

You guys are kidding right?  This "man" hasn't been fired yet?  Any company with even an iota of decency would have dumped this man before the end of the week.

Edit:  I see I was confused there.  Player, not a company man.  Still though, why hasn't he been permanently banned for his drunken idiocy?  The "I was drunk" excuse is so week it won't even stand up in court.  As a matter of fact, it would probably just increase the punishment.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Also the "suicidal" guy doesn't seem to care all that much (if this log is correct):

[21:10:18] Xeross155 > Heya

[21:10:22] The Wis > Hello

[21:10:29] Xeross155 > Getting swarmed with interviews I can imagine

[21:10:50] The Wis > No why?

[21:11:57] Xeross155 > With this BS and all http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ccp-investigates-player-panel-that-encouraged-cyber-bullying/

[21:12:21] Xeross155 > Pretty sure the name Mittani called out was "The Wis"

[21:12:31] The Wis > Oh I will have to check that out.. What is going on?

[21:12:58] Xeross155 > You sent him a mail when you got scammed and your Mackinaws destroyed or smth

[21:13:41] Xeross155 > Or at least one of his alliance mates

[21:14:13] The Wis > Could have.. been a long time. Might have been when they had the safe mining offer when you guys were doing your anti ice thing.

[21:15:08] The Wis > I did have someone ask me if I was ok.. Becouse he said that I had killed myself afterwards and he thought it was funny.. I did not see it so I have no clue what was said.

[21:15:52] Xeross155 > Basically some idiots are all butthurt and are calling for him to step down from CSM and ****

[21:16:51] Xeross155 > Basically, enjoy your 5 minutes of fame, multiple gaming press websites are putting the story up

[21:16:58] Xeross155 > Leaving out your name though

[21:16:59] Xeross155 > one sec

[21:19:54] The Wis > Well I am not sure what is going on.. I know I have had some people say I should put a pentition in. Witch I have not. Since I have not seen the video or anything. But that would also explain why the goons are moving into my system now and starting

[21:19:57] The Wis > ganking here.

[21:24:54] Xeross155 > http://youtu.be/E7Ki91U-mBE?t=1h11m55s

[21:26:17] Xeross155 > That's basically the snippet that people are upset about for some reason

[21:29:34] Xeross155 > Anyway, CCP is doing an internal audit and **** about it, 3 game news websites have reported it so far, basically tagging it cyber-bullying

[21:30:50] The Wis > Ok.. Well that is nice. Hmm.. wait.. If i do kill my self they might arrest him and prosicute him since he is in the US.. That would really be bad for him.

[21:31:01] The Wis > Just kidding of course but a thought.

[21:31:20] The Wis > Fly safe. I have real life stuff to do now.. ANd to watch for goons in system.. Fun Fun.

Edit: full quote.

Some follow up information and The Mittani's recent statements:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/40327/Eve-man-ashamed-and-sorry-for-suicide-jokes

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Can't really justify it given it was a public event, or in the very least it was clear it would be made public at some point.

But some of the white knighting about it is a tad ironic. Given that a large number of people who are up in arms about it or feigning moral indignation more than likely spend time slagging people off on public forums or lurking on websites which churn out far, far worse on a day to day basis.

I generally report all personal attacks I see on this site, I might post critiscm of games I don't rate and that may make certain people angry, but there is an important distinction between the two. I see nothing wrong with condemning the Mittani's actions on this occasion as they went beyond what is acceptable.

From your own link

Ok first of all, in game name, not real name, an in game avatar is not a representation of a real person, its the representation of a in game character, its a role playing game. Its not facebook.

Secondly, The mittani or Alex Gianturco, neither are on payroll with CCP or have any relation other than being CSM chaiman which means representing the player base in questions of game designs, he doesnt represent CCP in any way so I dont see the relavence.

If he broke the EULA then that should have consequences, sure. Afaik CCP is looking into that.