Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Pretty Much the Worst of What Everyone Was Expecting

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Zekiah

Originally posted by kjempff

Latency is not a valid argument on any beta game, and it is highly likely beta servers are in the US, so 200 ms is pretty standard from EU to US.

Anyway, can anyone comment on how the feel of the game is .. is it dark and sinister ? I fear the answer :)

It's feels like a cross between WoW and Torchlight. Sinister? Hehe, no. The graphics are muddy and the feel is animated. Just think, WoWablo.

The game was designed for kiddies and consoles so...

Really? What do you mean by muddy? The graphics are great and its well optimized for the quality. The feel is animated because its a video game... what are you wanting something like 'gamer'?

Game plays great on the pc and well i guess i'm just a 'kiddy'

The screens above show exactly what I'm talking about. The graphics are not blended well and there's not enough edge contrast, colors blend together into a muddy pool. You can see it clearly in the environments. The feel of the art is more like Torchlight than Diablo, it's certainly not dark, scary or gory. The overall game is subpar compared to what it should be.

Wait torchlight has torso's chasing you around with their entrails all over the place..? What torchlight has blood too? Wait wait a neverending cave is more scary than tombs/crypts, graveyards, sunken holes, foggy fields with hangman trees? All of which is just in the first part of the first act.

To each their own.. theres plenty of gore in this game that is well detailed. Not sure what you're expecting but saying it looks like TL is ridiculous.

It does, it's more Torchlight than it is Diablo. They've ripped almost everything that was good about D2 out and replaced it with a console-friendly version that's just simply not worthy to hold the Diablo name. You may disagree but there are plenty who agree with me. This game will probably be loved by the majority of the WoW crowd but not so much the Diablo crowd. It's just not that good.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by ArEf

So, I recently got into the Diablo 3 EU beta and wow. Seriously, wow. This game is BAD. I'm shocked it managed to get past even the new Blizzard's QA team.

so did i interesting ... :)

I'm getting 200ms ping and having that registered as "good" (ie. in the green in terms of latency) by the game, with random 500ms lagspikes. It's entirely possible that the EU beta's servers are set up in the US, but I get at least 160ms from US servers in every other game, and god only knows. This leads to a shit tonne of artificial difficulty and near death experiences.

completely agree that it's not good however they did post a warning about this and the disconnects.

You have no choice in what order you get them. The only thing that distinguises you from other players is gear.

absolutely agree, there was nothing there was no wisdom in the order, there was no choice in the matter and with GW2 coming out, they had better do a better job about giving players choice if they don't want a ton of people complaining.

Switching out abilities gives you a 10 second (or thereabouts, not sure on the exact figure) cooldown on that ability, which means switching out abilities or having more than six active abilities is unfeasible, which can lead to situations where you get attacked and don't have the right ability for the situation.

totally true even using a rune caused a cooldown. weird.

All this just feeds into having the easiest general loadout and spamming the attack until everything is dead, regardless of the situation.

in the beginning yes it's like that but what game isn't spamming a tiny basic abilitiy? trust me im no fan of Blizz right now but let's be real about it.

Don't get me started on how horribly the classes are in general. They're not archetypal, they're not very balanced (heavy armoured barbarian / monk more easily kills stuff than the flimsy wizard?) and they're just not very fun. Witch Doctor is a bad necromancer clone, Demon Hunter is like a crappy D2 assassin, Wizard is just a poor man's sorceress, Monk is actually alright in terms of overall design and Barbarian is just a straight rip from D2 and therefore the best class in the game.

theres an opinion if i ever saw one, personally i loved the witch doctor because i had crowd control early on which helped me survive.

Graphically, the game is horrible. It reminds me of Icewind Dale 2 in terms of looks. You could say it has a certain style to it, if you thought style could mean "looks like it's from early 21st century". Low polygon models, ugly arse textures and a general bad colour scheme just makes the game seem faded and already aged. Compare it with, say, Diablo or Diablo 2 in modern resolutions and they don't look nearly as aged as this game.

completely agree with you on this one, i was like, this is it? and it's on my new computer no less? WTH?

Controls-wise, the game's okay-ish. Everything's pretty much the same as Diablo 2 (shift to stay still whilst you attack, ctrl to view thingies, alt to view items etc), and everything is therefore okay.

I just fail to see how this is a Diablo game. To me, it feels like a poor Korean Diablo-wannabe that made a bunch of bad design decisions because they had a massive budget, a lot of time and no idea how to improve on the original.

The graphical changes, gameplay changes, EVERYTHING changes have just ruined the overall experience and turned it into a game worthy of nothing more than the award of "Worst AAA Game of 2012".

No shugs someone else holdes that title, it's anagram has five letters shhhh.

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233
    Now everyone's had a chance to play, who agrees with me in the OP?

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430
    Its not that bad but the toonish graphics pfff , What are we 11 ?? WTH Blizzard, 1st Pandas now Cartoons ?

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

You guys are silly.  This game is so damn good.  Can't expect much more than this around here though with the Blizzard hate.  Saying a game like PoE is better just flat out makes it look like you have no idea what you are talking about. 

Torchlight is a cartoon, and this is far from it.  PoE is extremely shallow masked by features that seem deep.  I will still play PoE though and Grim Dawn.  Diablo 3 is on a whole different level.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    After playing the Diablo 3 weekend I have no desire to buy the game. I 'might' pick it up if I have a gap in something to play, but with ME2+3, Crysis 2 and Deus Ex 2 still to play I don't think that'll be any time soon. I don't feel like it is anything special and I honestly had more fun when I first played Torchlight 1, it's just... fine.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by itgrowls

So, I recently got into the Diablo 3 EU beta and wow. Seriously, wow. This game is BAD. I'm shocked it managed to get past even the new Blizzard's QA team.

so did i interesting ... :)

I'm getting 200ms ping and having that registered as "good" (ie. in the green in terms of latency) by the game, with random 500ms lagspikes. It's entirely possible that the EU beta's servers are set up in the US, but I get at least 160ms from US servers in every other game, and god only knows. This leads to a shit tonne of artificial difficulty and near death experiences.

completely agree that it's not good however they did post a warning about this and the disconnects.

Every one in the beta were connecting to the US severs, at it's peel there were 300,000 public games running - say an average of 3 players per public game and thats 900,000 players add in the players playing solo and at it's peek D3 US servers were catering to probably ~1.5 million players, from all over the world.  IT WAS A STRESS TEST WEEKEND!

You have no choice in what order you get them. The only thing that distinguises you from other players is gear.

absolutely agree, there was nothing there was no wisdom in the order, there was no choice in the matter and with GW2 coming out, they had better do a better job about giving players choice if they don't want a ton of people complaining.

You have no choice in the irder you unlock skills/runes but you have full choice over which you use, by level 10 you have more than you can use and at Max level you'll have over 100.  Open you eyes.

Switching out abilities gives you a 10 second (or thereabouts, not sure on the exact figure) cooldown on that ability, which means switching out abilities or having more than six active abilities is unfeasible, which can lead to situations where you get attacked and don't have the right ability for the situation.

totally true even using a rune caused a cooldown. weird.

The system is not designed for players to switch out abilities mid-fight, hence why you're lmited to 7 skill slots.

All this just feeds into having the easiest general loadout and spamming the attack until everything is dead, regardless of the situation.

in the beginning yes it's like that but what game isn't spamming a tiny basic abilitiy? trust me im no fan of Blizz right now but let's be real about it.

Pick the skills that fit your play style.

Don't get me started on how horribly the classes are in general. They're not archetypal, they're not very balanced (heavy armoured barbarian / monk more easily kills stuff than the flimsy wizard?) and they're just not very fun. Witch Doctor is a bad necromancer clone, Demon Hunter is like a crappy D2 assassin, Wizard is just a poor man's sorceress, Monk is actually alright in terms of overall design and Barbarian is just a straight rip from D2 and therefore the best class in the game.

theres an opinion if i ever saw one, personally i loved the witch doctor because i had crowd control early on which helped me survive.

We unlocked 10% of the abilties of each class in the beta test... I guess we saw all that each class has to offer then?

Graphically, the game is horrible. It reminds me of Icewind Dale 2 in terms of looks. You could say it has a certain style to it, if you thought style could mean "looks like it's from early 21st century". Low polygon models, ugly arse textures and a general bad colour scheme just makes the game seem faded and already aged. Compare it with, say, Diablo or Diablo 2 in modern resolutions and they don't look nearly as aged as this game.

completely agree with you on this one, i was like, this is it? and it's on my new computer no less? WTH?

Kids today... think it's all bout poly counts, I wish I could snap them back to the 8bit days and watch them cry.

Controls-wise, the game's okay-ish. Everything's pretty much the same as Diablo 2 (shift to stay still whilst you attack, ctrl to view thingies, alt to view items etc), and everything is therefore okay.

I just fail to see how this is a Diablo game. To me, it feels like a poor Korean Diablo-wannabe that made a bunch of bad design decisions because they had a massive budget, a lot of time and no idea how to improve on the original.

The graphical changes, gameplay changes, EVERYTHING changes have just ruined the overall experience and turned it into a game worthy of nothing more than the award of "Worst AAA Game of 2012".

No shugs someone else holdes that title, it's anagram has five letters shhhh.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

The CoD-esque levelling mechanics are laughable, as are the ways abilities work. Every level, you get a new ability or a new upgrade for one of your abilities, and you will ALWAYS have every ability at max level. You have no choice in what order you get them. The only thing that distinguises you from other players is gear.

All this just feeds into having the easiest general loadout and spamming the attack until everything is dead, regardless of the situation. You approach everything in the same way, deal with it in the same way and the like. You won't vary from other player's experiences either, as they're ALSO doing it in the same way.

The healing potion / healing orb issue just shows how schizophrenic the design team is. On the one hand, you have healing potions which allow you to decide when you need healing and use them when you need them. On the other hand, you have healing orbs which drop randomly off mobs and heal you when you walk over them. Of course, due to this, healing orbs are utterly useless, or at least could be better replaced by healing potion drops, and is a fine example of "lol wut are we meant to be doing again???".

We must had played different games...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

d3 is good but the beta weekend didnt change my mind to buy it sooner

- ill eventually pick it up but not at release

• VeldaraVeldara Member UncommonPosts: 30

Just seems like another discussion about old vs new, casual vs hardcore, to me.  I checked out PoE, it does feel more like the oldschool Diablo games, but it's not for me.  I like the streamlined design and the fact that D3 is bringing more people into this type of game who otherwise would've passed it had it been less casual friendly. 

Truth be told, I would much rather play with casual players any day of the week over hardcore players.  And it's more fun for me to play a game with a thriving active userbase getting fresh blood every day than one that seeks to just capture old blood.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by k-damage

Hell, some screenshots are even actually looking like a Renaissance painting...

Uhm, might be time to take another art class...

It could be worse, it look okay but it sure doesn't look like a painting.

lol I can't look at the game without cracking up :( it really looks like it's a potential Ultima Online Client upgrade like Kingdom Reborn was and not just because of the isometric view. It's that it gives you just enough detail but not enough to go "Oh, thats nice".

It sort of makes me think of what if UO and WoW's graphics got meshed together :P

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Veldara

Just seems like another discussion about old vs new, casual vs hardcore, to me.  I checked out PoE, it does feel more like the oldschool Diablo games, but it's not for me.  I like the streamlined design and the fact that D3 is bringing more people into this type of game who otherwise would've passed it had it been less casual friendly. 

Truth be told, I would much rather play with casual players any day of the week over hardcore players.  And it's more fun for me to play a game with a thriving active userbase getting fresh blood every day than one that seeks to just capture old blood.

I think its good that some are still trying to make good games for oldschool veterans. And its possible to like classic diablo style games without being hardcore.

Some of the D3 players will certainly be very hardcore. But PoE and D3 are not MMORPG:s and you dont need to play with any hardcore players. There will be plenty of casuals in both.

And I also think there will be new players that like and will play PoE. It depends on taste.

Originally posted by kjempff

Latency is not a valid argument on any beta game, and it is highly likely beta servers are in the US, so 200 ms is pretty standard from EU to US.

Anyway, can anyone comment on how the feel of the game is .. is it dark and sinister ? I fear the answer :)

It's feels like a cross between WoW and Torchlight. Sinister? Hehe, no. The graphics are muddy and the feel is animated. Just think, WoWablo.

The game was designed for kiddies and consoles so...

Really? What do you mean by muddy? The graphics are great and its well optimized for the quality. The feel is animated because its a video game... what are you wanting something like 'gamer'?

Game plays great on the pc and well i guess i'm just a 'kiddy'

The screens above show exactly what I'm talking about. The graphics are not blended well and there's not enough edge contrast, colors blend together into a muddy pool. You can see it clearly in the environments. The feel of the art is more like Torchlight than Diablo, it's certainly not dark, scary or gory. The overall game is subpar compared to what it should be.

Wait torchlight has torso's chasing you around with their entrails all over the place..? What torchlight has blood too? Wait wait a neverending cave is more scary than tombs/crypts, graveyards, sunken holes, foggy fields with hangman trees? All of which is just in the first part of the first act.

To each their own.. theres plenty of gore in this game that is well detailed. Not sure what you're expecting but saying it looks like TL is ridiculous.

It does, it's more Torchlight than it is Diablo. They've ripped almost everything that was good about D2 out and replaced it with a console-friendly version that's just simply not worthy to hold the Diablo name. You may disagree but there are plenty who agree with me. This game will probably be loved by the majority of the WoW crowd but not so much the Diablo crowd. It's just not that good.

Actually i don't know many who agree with you on the graphics part. Those who do agree with you are native to mmorpg.com and well we know the haters here don't have a reasonable thought process.

I see, so those who agree with me are haters and irrational. Got it.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

While I don't agree that it was the worst, I don't think it lives up to the Diablo Legacy. The Beta really didn't show us much of anything. It ended before you get into character customization, before you can delve very deeply into crafting, before you get a choice in companion, etc. What it did show just left a luke warm impression with me.

It's not a terrible game by any stretch, and it was fun to play with my buddies. I wasn't thrilled with the graphics, nor the health globe mechanic. The intro story didn't really whet my appetite for more. Some of the lines were a bit laughable.

I'll pick it up, but mainly just because my friends will be playing. And, because I'm hoping the story and gameplay at higher levels get much, much better. Wishful thinking.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Perma Death need I say more.... go play GW2 imo as D3 is not for you...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Well, we're still yet to hear any rational criticism from you. Just regurgitating stock phrases.. "kiddies!" "console friendly!".. and complete untruths like "not dark or gory".

What precisely is console friendly about D3 that wasn't the case for D2?

What precisely was so dark, gory and not-for-kids in D2 that is not present in D3?

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213
    D3 is for 17+, kids should stick with Torchlight.
  • NoTxGooDNoTxGooD Member UncommonPosts: 15

The CoD-esque levelling mechanics are laughable, as are the ways abilities work. Every level, you get a new ability or a new upgrade for one of your abilities, and you will ALWAYS have every ability at max level. You have no choice in what order you get them. The only thing that distinguises you from other players is gear.

All this just feeds into having the easiest general loadout and spamming the attack until everything is dead, regardless of the situation. You approach everything in the same way, deal with it in the same way and the like. You won't vary from other player's experiences either, as they're ALSO doing it in the same way.

The healing potion / healing orb issue just shows how schizophrenic the design team is. On the one hand, you have healing potions which allow you to decide when you need healing and use them when you need them. On the other hand, you have healing orbs which drop randomly off mobs and heal you when you walk over them. Of course, due to this, healing orbs are utterly useless, or at least could be better replaced by healing potion drops, and is a fine example of "lol wut are we meant to be doing again???".

this is funny b/c everything you state is probably your own faults.

lag, bad graphics, etc....

i just skimmed the post but i can tell you probably have a shitty pc and are expecting the best of the game which you wont get unless you have a decent pc.

and dont forget your playing it in beta moron.

P.S. ya go play PoE b/c its a complete rip off of diablo 2.

Originally posted by Banquetto

Well, we're still yet to hear any rational criticism from you. Just regurgitating stock phrases.. "kiddies!" "console friendly!".. and complete untruths like "not dark or gory".

What precisely was so dark, gory and not-for-kids in D2 that is not present in D3?

I take it you haven't played the game yet.

You'll find out when you see the hacked up UI they implemented and the graphics.

Don't hate. No need to get upset, it's just a game, we can all agree to disagree.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by Betaguy

Perma Death need I say more.... go play GW2 imo as D3 is not for you...

Totally agree. Diablo series has real challenge and keeps me on the edge. It is the driving force to keep me playing.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

The beta servers are in the US. Comparing it to other games on US servers is stupid. Routing is handled differently per game and if you are european, this is not an issue once the game launches.

At higher levels, you will unlock more things per level, as to allow you to try out different builds sooner. Players will differentiate themselves by using different builds and there are quite a few viable to use.

The cooldown, as in the latest patch, is 5 seconds. And youre not supposed to be able to just switch an entire build on the fly. That would make it far too easy, which also seems your main complaint?

This is remedied at the higher difficulty levels. You would do yourself (and us) a favour by checking the blizzcon videos that explain this perfectly. Normal difficulty is easy. Champion mobs dont have many abilities to use and monster awareness is very low.

Again, level 13, in act 1, on normal, is hardly any reference. Have you not played MMO games? Im not saying that D3 is an MMO, but the class progression is very important, and classes are balanced at max level, when they have all their abilities available. Pretty standard stuff.

This is to remedy a Health pot spam mechanic, but at the same time keeping the pace of the game nice and fast.

This is purely taste. And tastes differ.

Indeed.

How is it not a diablo game?

You failed to research the game properly and decided that the beta would be the end-all info you needed. Anyone with the least bit of interest knows that the gameplay really starts at Nightmare.

There. I actually gave it a shot.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Banquetto Well, we're still yet to hear any rational criticism from you. Just regurgitating stock phrases.. "kiddies!" "console friendly!".. and complete untruths like "not dark or gory".

What precisely is console friendly about D3 that wasn't the case for D2? What precisely was so dark, gory and not-for-kids in D2 that is not present in D3?
    You'll find out when you see the hacked up UI they implemented and the graphics.
    Don't hate. No need to get upset, it's just a game, we can all agree to disagree.

Got into the closed beta months ago. Posted a couple of weeks ago on this thread what I liked about it.

What precisely is "hacked up" about the UI?

What precisely is wrong with the graphics?

Or did you just want to post and confirm for me that you have no rational criticism?

Got into the closed beta months ago. Posted a couple of weeks ago on this thread what I liked about it.

What precisely is "hacked up" about the UI?

What precisely is wrong with the graphics?

Or did you just want to post and confirm for me that you have no rational criticism?

Is that so? So, did the bother to read the beta forums at all? You know nothing of the countless UI threads? About how they were designed for consoles and work like crap? Hmm, that's odd.

I've already addressed the graphics, it seems to me that perhaps you're the one who just wants to argue irrationally. You must be bored, only a couple of weeks to go so maybe you can spend your time on a different hobby other than trolling.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

you forgot that the game is a cash grab store game, aka blizzard will make millions of dollars off its in game cash real money store.

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

ArEf,

Bro, dude, brah, your post is so ignorant, misinformed and in general full of malarkey it's scary.