Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason behind the NDA

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
Its simple, while Arenanet is testing some stuff out ( like what to put in the cash shop) and other things arent implemented yet ( like free assignable hotkeys) some people leak information and others make a big deal of it on the forums. An NDA is in place to keep future players from being misinformed by things on the test servers that might never make the final game.

So please everyone obey that NDA.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Hmmm, that's odd.  I could have sworn I heard that the NDA is there so that the big greedy company can limit the amount of negative press that gets out about their horrible game.  At least, that's what I remember many GW2 fans saying about other games with the NDA in place.  Then again, since ArenaNet is the spunky little developer with the heart of gold, this can't possibly be true in the case of GW2, right?  

Btw, I agree with your post, Bacchus.  That IS why the NDA is in place.  I just find it funny that certain GW2 fans (not yourself, but others), will suddenly have the exact opposite perspective now that we are talking about their game.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Hmmm, that's odd.  I could have sworn I heard that the NDA is there so that the big greedy company can limit the amount of negative press that gets out about their horrible game.  At least, that's what I remember many GW2 fans saying about other games with the NDA in place.  Then again, since ArenaNet is the spunky little developer with the heart of gold, this can't possibly be true in the case of GW2, right?  

Btw, I agree with your post, Bacchus.  That IS why the NDA is in place.  I just find it funny that certain GW2 fans (not yourself, but others), will suddenly have the exact opposite perspective now that we are talking about their game.

Well we already know from all the reviews that GW2 looks and plays well

Apart from TOR (which is what you undirectly mention). When TOR was about to release, there was no press beta and playable demos in the open world - only huge swag talk from the developers, so these comments were in place back then (and very truthfull IMO)

edited for some weird misleading typos

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Pigozz

Well we already KNOW GW2 looks very very good and plays very very good

Apart from TOR (which is what you undirectly mention). When TOR was about to release, there was no press beta and playable demos in the open world - only huge swag talk from the developers, so these comments were in place back then (and very truthfull IMO)

What? Revisionist history or lack of knowledge? You are wrong on all points BTW :). Press beta? Check. Demos? check, actually they started using the full client (the whole game) at demos many months before release, they stopped using demo builds in like spring of last year.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

What? Revisionist history or lack of knowledge?

Ok sorry my bad..SWTOR had demos, I got confused there, I thought they showed off only flashpoints..my bad..kinda makes my posts totally worthless ;) shit happens;)

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

There was a press beta, I was invited to it. 

Ok sorry my bad..SWTOR had demos, I got confused there, I thought they showed off only flashpoints..my bad..kinda makes my posts totally worthless ;) shit happens;)

Read the press beta stuff on TOR just about all of it was glowing, especially here, many early detractors (journalists) {one example would be massively I believe}, were turned around at the time, they pulled complete 180's saying the game was a blast.

I don't know aboutt press beta coverage, most information is going to be held back in the negative department, as it's beta, and that is the whole point of an NDA, cover negatives until they work them out.

Read the press beta stuff on TOR just about all of it was glowing, especially here, many early detractors (journalists) {one example would be massively I believe}, were turned around at the time, they pulled complete 180's saying the game was a blast.

I don't know aboutt press beta coverage, most information is going to be held back in the negative department, as it's beta, and that is the whole point of an NDA, cover negatives until they work them out.

Well I certainly DO remember that pretty much every journalist pointed out that SWTOR is nothing new except the voiceovers

I think that was the bad signal...The journalists never seemed to be amazed or mindblown by the game..nor was I during open beta

But whatever...I got burned only once (  AoC: the game wasnt bad, bud Funcom screwed up) and I have a strong feeling GW2 wont dissapoint anyone gameplay/content wise so Im with Lord Bachus on this one (just look at the bluster the leaks created)

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its simple, while Arenanet is testing some stuff out ( like what to put in the cash shop) and other things arent implemented yet ( like free assignable hotkeys) some people leak information and others make a big deal of it on the forums. An NDA is in place to keep future players from being misinformed by things on the test servers that might never make the final game. So please everyone obey that NDA.

Why should I when the information is out there for all to see? I only obey it becuase of the MMORPG AUP and what are you concerned with Bacchus, THE TRUTH getting out and GW2 is a nice game but not the second coming of Old Skool MMO's?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    TOR most certainly had an open and public demo (beta) - playing that was the reason I didn't buy it!
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

anyone who needs a nda explained to them at this point unless they just started gaming is a retard

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

One could also reason that the NDA is there to lock players into buying the Pre-Purchase and therefore, you're stuck buying the whole game if it's bad or not. Typically, if it was just like a pre-order at gamestop, you could cancel the pre-order and jump ship. Explains why they're going to select retailers to sell them.

They can minimize sales loss if you can't talk about the game until the official release. Which is when people complain if it sucks or not, but too late, people already bought at launch. At least most will have.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Absolutely bull crap. I played SWTOR demo at least twice at gaming conventions. And yes there was press beta too. takes one minute to google and find it out.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

well ican say people do a good job till today at not posting anything  on youtube  ,but that dont meant once beta end they wont  ^^  either way is a beta and is not the final product  its not like  the comunnitie suposed to troll on beta  other than give advise  in fixing some point cause that why beta is all abouth .

• style360style360 Member Posts: 70

It's kind of sad if people are "leaving" a game because the closed beta doesn't live up to their expectations. :/ That's pretty much why it's a closed beta and not released yet.

Well I certainly DO remember that pretty much every journalist pointed out that SWTOR is nothing new except the voiceovers

I think that was the bad signal...The journalists never seemed to be amazed or mindblown by the game..nor was I during open beta

But whatever...I got burned only once (  AoC: the game wasnt bad, bud Funcom screwed up) and I have a strong feeling GW2 wont dissapoint anyone gameplay/content wise so Im with Lord Bachus on this one (just look at the bluster the leaks created)

On the game-play end I don't really doubt GW2 at all. I'm pretty confident  the game will be solid, just based on what I've watched of it. That said I'm speaking toward todays press. They jump on everything as the next best thing for a few months then only after it actually matters, will they start pointing out the issues (usually months after launch).

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

@ Cthulu23 I have never heard a GW2 fan diss another game for having an NDA.

@ Pigozz There were tons of SWTOR footage to watch.. all showed how crappy the game was. Anyone that knew how to seach youtube or google could find many different vids to watch.. same with GW2 which is how I knew SWTOR would be crap and GW2 will most likely not be crap.

So please stop bickering and make some comments that make sense. 

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

A typical reason for having a NDA on a beta is that you are going to show of experimental content or content that is likely to be changed. For instance if your animations/graphics are placeholders, you are only showing of half the game, etc, it's best to have an NDA on the closed beta.

When the game is more or less finished, it's nice to do an open beta with no NDA where you can fix issues that are hard to discover without really high load.

• vilkonvilkon Member Posts: 14

They also don't want loads of content leaking onto the net which is not even final. Then future players may stumble upon the Beta content instead of the actual finished highly polished product and may get warped view of what the game is really like.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

so true also arenanet change alot of skill -utilities,now some skill that you need to shose to mark a location and activated it change intead u use the skilla nd alrdy trigger other than you need to amrk target  if some people play first demo in 2011 and compare right now  like-ranger spread shot -and guardian (blade) the one thta teleport now u dont need to shose the location it already do the skill at traget. and more change to come

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

An NDA can be a bad sign about a game, but that's only if it remains in place until very close to release. I believe Mark Jacobs from Mythic actually started the 1 month at least rule and I'd even say 1 month before isn't soon enough. SWTOR held their NDA for a long time and prior to that really regulated what content people/press could see(Starter worlds, flashpoints, and 1-2 warzones). ArenaNet at least so far has shown more of their game off and has detailed and shown working all of the main aspects of the game. The only thing that I've even heard about them not wanting shown from the press beta are the puzzle dungeons and that is very understandable.

Think about it thoguh, had people seen Illum open world PvP in action well before launch it would have caused an uproar. We've already seen WvW in action and that just hyped people more but also questioned performance. I'm not saying there might not be something that is hidden nearer to the end of the game that doesn't work right, but remember this game is also B2P. There is far less pressure to have everything 100% at launch because there isn't a subscription on one side of a scale determining if people quit or not. I know I'm not nearly as likely to drop the game in the first few months because it won't cost me $15 to wait until things are fixed.

If GW2 still has an NDA a month before release then I will get really worried. However, currently absolutely everything that I've seen about this game is good. I can't think of a single aspect of the game I am left wanting to see except more of everything. So NDA or not, I have all the information I need to feel like I'm making an informed decison about buying the game, which was not the case with SWTOR.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by Betakodo

One could also reason that the NDA is there to lock players into buying the Pre-Purchase and therefore, you're stuck buying the whole game if it's bad or not. Typically, if it was just like a pre-order at gamestop, you could cancel the pre-order and jump ship. Explains why they're going to select retailers to sell them.

They can minimize sales loss if you can't talk about the game until the official release. Which is when people complain if it sucks or not, but too late, people already bought at launch. At least most will have.

lol, no one's forcing you to pre-purchase.  to they give you 2 extra days of headstart thats. there will be months of information from the bwe's that does not have an nda for people to make a decision, if they want to rush and pre purchase it on april 10th then thats upto them

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Distaste

An NDA can be a bad sign about a game, but that's only if it remains in place until very close to release. I believe Mark Jacobs from Mythic actually started the 1 month at least rule and I'd even say 1 month before isn't soon enough. SWTOR held their NDA for a long time and prior to that really regulated what content people/press could see(Starter worlds, flashpoints, and 1-2 warzones). ArenaNet at least so far has shown more of their game off and has detailed and shown working all of the main aspects of the game. The only thing that I've even heard about them not wanting shown from the press beta are the puzzle dungeons and that is very understandable.

Think about it thoguh, had people seen Illum open world PvP in action well before launch it would have caused an uproar. We've already seen WvW in action and that just hyped people more but also questioned performance. I'm not saying there might not be something that is hidden nearer to the end of the game that doesn't work right, but remember this game is also B2P. There is far less pressure to have everything 100% at launch because there isn't a subscription on one side of a scale determining if people quit or not. I know I'm not nearly as likely to drop the game in the first few months because it won't cost me $15 to wait until things are fixed.

If GW2 still has an NDA a month before release then I will get really worried. However, currently absolutely everything that I've seen about this game is good. I can't think of a single aspect of the game I am left wanting to see except more of everything. So NDA or not, I have all the information I need to feel like I'm making an informed decison about buying the game, which was not the case with SWTOR.

Well we know that won't happen as the NDA will be dropped starting next month.

Anyway, I think most people understand what an NDA is there for. The only thing I question is, does it really work for what it is intended.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

So the NDA is to disguise any fail in the game? Trust me P2W CS is why they're stressing the NDA, if they didn't have that this game would be bullet proof, but like all devs they had to find a way to ruin it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by KingGator

So the NDA is to disguise any fail in the game? Trust me P2W CS is why they're stressing the NDA, if they didn't have that this game would be bullet proof, but like all devs they had to find a way to ruin it.

They didn't ruin it for most people.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Seriously who do u think will obey the nda.LOL.

Nda exists only for the stupid once the game is in beta stage everyone knows about it from friends to friends etc.

Companies that have nda agreement are jsut fooling their self