Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW vs. SWTOR viability - the key stat is new players

1235»

Comments

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Hm playing on Eu-Antonidas a german wow pve Server and he is super full cant find a single swtor server that is equally populated. So much about SWTOR and success.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

If you want to have ultimate MMORPG, 1st you need to make your game copy/paste WOW with latest patch, then you can delete fragmets you dont like and implement the new ones.

People in Blizzard never wanted to invent "wheel or water" they just picked up all the good ideas from other games and fantasticky implemented it.

SW:TOR have a great potential in the future and that is one of the biggest mistakes also.

Why?

I feel like i just loged in WOW back in 2004. Yes !!! Vanilla was awesome i totaly agree but years are passing and things are changing. 

WOW still have over 7 million players world wide and the rest of the games dont have TOGETHER 7 million players.

Please, think befor you say "Yea, but WOW is the game that is running for 7 years now".

Cause in 7 years there is no company that came even close to WOW in population, so saying how WOW is bad and how game is fail now doesn`t stand at all. 

I mean STAR WARS MAN !!!!

I still have original movies on my BETA from the early 80`s , my kid that is 3 yers old love Yoda and Darth Vader, I dont even know how much money my father gave on buying me original Star Wars toons in the 80`s and i was the one that register on SW:TOR web site the day it was on the net.

The game on the other hand was disapointing for me, cause i see it as a Single Player game with an option for Multyplayer.

I don`t blame Bioware for that i blame Mythic Games and i hope they never EVER do anything.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by koljane

If you want to have ultimate MMORPG, 1st you need to make your game copy/paste WOW with latest patch, then you can delete fragmets you dont like and implement the new ones.

People in Blizzard never wanted to invent "wheel or water" they just picked up all the good ideas from other games and fantasticky implemented it.

SW:TOR have a great potential in the future and that is one of the biggest mistakes also.

Why?

I feel like i just loged in WOW back in 2004. Yes !!! Vanilla was awesome i totaly agree but years are passing and things are changing. 

WOW still have over 7 million players world wide and the rest of the games dont have TOGETHER 7 million players.

Please, think befor you say "Yea, but WOW is the game that is running for 7 years now".

Cause in 7 years there is no company that came even close to WOW in population, so saying how WOW is bad and how game is fail now doesn`t stand at all. 

I mean STAR WARS MAN !!!!

I still have original movies on my BETA from the early 80`s , my kid that is 3 yers old love Yoda and Darth Vader, I dont even know how much money my father gave on buying me original Star Wars toons in the 80`s and i was the one that register on SW:TOR web site the day it was on the net.

The game on the other hand was disapointing for me, cause i see it as a Single Player game with an option for Multyplayer.

I don`t blame Bioware for that i blame Mythic Games and i hope they never EVER do anything.

WoW 2004 was better than SWTOR 2012 in one important way: There was 'world PvP'.

My first experience of PvP was the running battles in Ashenvale. It got better with raids on cities.

Doesn't exist anymore - not in WoW or in SWTOR.

The future might be Eve Online + DUST 514.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Originally posted by Yamota

What a flawed argument. WoW is over 7 years old and has tons of end game content and it has proven that it has longtherm viability, something which the 4 month SW:TOR has yet to prove. Ofcourse starter zone is full, the game has very little end game content so there isnt much to do beside reroll or quit.

If by "end game" you mean this:

http://www.wowwiki.com/End-game 

It doesn't matter how much "end game" content WoW has - it's all still repetative 'hampster wheel' stuff.

I think the MMORPG of tomorrow is Eve Online + DUST 514. This is because your game is constantly having to change due to the unpredicatble actions of other players.

What has this got to do with the current thread? I dont like WoW's end game either, that is besides the point. The point is that the OP is comparing a game with huge amount of end game, like it or not, to one where there is very little and then saying that because there aren't many people in the low level zones then WoW is in decline or whatever.

Well for one thing, WoW is in decline, but that is expected for a 7 years old game but to compare a game which focuses on end game, with lots of it, with a new game with very little end game and then saying that the latter is doing better because there are more people in low level zones is ludicrous. Ofcourse there are more people there, the main feature of SW:TOR is class story lines, which end at level 50, so you have to start over with a new class.

So we aren't comparing apples to apples here, heck we aren't even comparing apples to oranges. We are comparing apples to footballs (the soccer one) with the only common denominator is that they are both round.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

WoW 2004 was better than SWTOR 2012 in one important way: There was 'world PvP'.

My first experience of PvP was the running battles in Ashenvale. It got better with raids on cities.

Because world pvp is niche and only liked by few players. I think the game is much better without much world pvp. If you want to pvp, go do a battleground. World pvp is the anti-thesis to CHOICE. Players do not have the opportunities of NOT participate.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by blackweb
    Originally posted by echose7en

You are making no sence, unless your guild is for only for level 1s to 20s then whats the point, guilds dont just recruit from that level range, and just becasue you found something does not mean they are FACT across the board.

Here is what i've seen, alot of my guild in WoW made a guild in SWTOR, for the first couple of weeks people where very active, 3-4 weeks in only about 5 people left and then when the time came to sub for the second month there where ZERO people left in the guild, EVERYONE had quit, now just becasue thats what ive seen does not make it a FACT across the board, calling people bias becasue they dont agree with you is just stupid and to me your coming across more that way than anyone else in this thread.

Fact is theres alot of avidence out there that does not support your claim, and does look like it is not growing but in decline.

Again your "evidence" is not supported by what is happening in game in SWTOR or WoW.

Apparently it was...     Funny the stuff a google search for 'first time MMO players" comes up on these old SWTOR denial-of-reality posts...

Try it:    how many first time mmo players swtor statistics

It's a hoot.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Because world pvp is niche and only liked by few players. I think the game is much better without much world pvp. If you want to pvp, go do a battleground. World pvp is the anti-thesis to CHOICE. Players do not have the opportunities of NOT participate.

Well it's not really now is it (the anti-thesis of choice that is). You have choices all the way through. You can choose to play a game with world pvp or not, you can choose to play on a world pvp server or not. You can choose not to get directly involved in combat 99% of the time in a world pvp game if you so wish.

Talk of choice is rather odd really, given that one mechanic is restrictive, the other is open and allows for choice. Just not the ability to be 100% safe all of the time.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

WoW is almost 8 years old. I'm not sure it's fair to judge it on new players at this point, based on its age.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

A few things to consider:

• Throw out counts for levels 1-20 in WoW and 1-15 in Swtor.  Your numbers here are tainted with an unknown amount of people playing the trial.

• Record over time.  Many people take one, two or multiple months off their game of choice because everyone needs a break but they may end up coming back.  I personally have done this multiple times over many games.

• Keep news trends in mind.  Any promotion is good promotion at least in the short term.  Swtor has been in the news a lot lately with F2P and "restructuring" talk.

I think if any crowd would like Swtor it would be the WoW crowd and it's a fun game if you're not burnt out on that basic formula.  I also think that TORs chance at challenging WoW even in the slightest has passed.  I could always be wrong.