Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games like realm of the mad god? 8 bit etc

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

What are the names of some fun games like realm of the mad god?

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

• ROTMG

• 8BitMMO

• Wakfu

These all try some intereting things. I've not tried Wakfu but read up on it. Alternatively some mmobiles:

• Shadow Cities

• Traveller AR

All sorta smaller mmorpgs trying to pave new directions which in mmorpgs is ALWAYS A BREATH OF FRESH AIR. I'd love to try my hand at designing a smaller mmorpg with some interesting ideas, but that's a tall order beyond my capabilities... Still I think there's an opportunity here. If I think up some more suggestions I'll post them.

• WinterborneWinterborne Member Posts: 1

You might try Conclave ([url]http://playconclave.com[/url]); it's not strictly an MMO, but does innovative things with the combination of turn-based, asynchronous play with party-based adventure.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

NEStalgia http://silkgames.com/nestalgia/

also i repost 8 bit mmo as its hard to find http://8bitmmo.net/

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

• ROTMG

• 8BitMMO

• Wakfu

These all try some intereting things. I've not tried Wakfu but read up on it. Alternatively some mmobiles:

• Shadow Cities

• Traveller AR

All sorta smaller mmorpgs trying to pave new directions which in mmorpgs is ALWAYS A BREATH OF FRESH AIR. I'd love to try my hand at designing a smaller mmorpg with some interesting ideas, but that's a tall order beyond my capabilities... Still I think there's an opportunity here. If I think up some more suggestions I'll post them.

wakfu doesnt really fit, its not really a little indie title, sure its got cute hand drawn graphics, but at its heart its a pretty complex sandbox game and has a fairly decent budget (its a popular tv show in france),  there is a free trial to level 20 but really you need to sub to get the most of it (it's a reduced sub fee though)

I would describe wakfu as Ultima Online with the aesthetics of some weird european cartoon and the combat of heroes of might and magic - after taking a load of acid.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Sarariel

Terraria, i think its not mmo but online coop. lotta fun, kind of 8 bit side scrolling sandbox-ish

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by rojo6934

Terraria, i think its not mmo but online coop. lotta fun, kind of 8 bit side scrolling sandbox-ish

It's not an mmo indeed though you can play it with friends over the internet or LAN, i have no idea how many can join your server however if there even is a max.

It's also as sanboxy as you can get since there is no goal for you to complete, no quest to do and most importantly no one telling you what to do. You wanna dig all day long? do it. You wanna adventure and kill stuff ? do it. etc etc.

Oh yeah and huge maps ARE huge, last time i spent digging over an hour and i was not even near hell (last layer afaik).

Originally posted by rojo6934

yeah terraria is kinda castlevania meets minecraft - its really good but not a mmo.

some good indie games that are not mmos would be:

terraria

the binding of isaac

S.P.A.Z

Space Giraffe (which you can get in a double pack with the older but still ace grid runner)

orcs must die

dungeon defenders (although way way too much DLC)

trine 1 & 2

braid

world of goo

the freespace 2 rebuild project (and its babylon 5 and wing commander mods)

super meat boy

Amnesia

space chem

stacking

To the moon

^^^^^^^ all of these games are better than 90% of those AAA formulaic games ^^^^^^

another oldschool mmo

http://browserquest.mozilla.org/

allthough its for firefox, it does also work on chrome (but not ie as ie is stoopid)