Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars has always had a cash shop.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Hey mate the link in your signature doesn't work, thats all i have to say on this topic... For the rest i kninda agree with you.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

It isnt the existence of a cash shop that has people up in arms, its whats in it. If the leak on the GW2 cash shop reflected the same path taken with the GW1 cash shop, no one would be complaining (well, maybe a few trolls).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by I_Return

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal over this cash shop. Guild Wars 1 has always had one since the first xpac. I am guessing that the people making a fuss are new to series ? It would be the only way for these risiduclous threads make any sense.

Cash shops are here to stay, and if you didnt want one, you would of supported the games that didnt have'em. All of the genres had titles  that people are here now complaining about, yet they do not play them.

If cash shops are really that big of issue, dont play the game in my opinion.

No, the backlash didn't come until you could buy gold with gems from other people.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Mods were locking CS threads last night because there were too many

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by niceguy3978

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal over this cash shop. Guild Wars 1 has always had one since the first xpac. I am guessing that the people making a fuss are new to series ? It would be the only way for these risiduclous threads make any sense.

Cash shops are here to stay, and if you didnt want one, you would of supported the games that didnt have'em. All of the genres had titles  that people are here now complaining about, yet they do not play them.

No, the backlash didn't come until you could buy gold with gems from other people.

Several games already use similar systems without any real problems; Eve Online, Spiral Knights, etc. There's always the possiblity that it could screw up the economy, but it's not an absolute certainty and there are several games that have proven that the concept can work already.

Skepticism is fine, but most of the repsonses to the cash-shop and gems have been along the lines of  "GW2's economy is going to absolutely, completely suck without a doubt, and this game is 100% P2W, so I'm never buying this garbage and if you disagree with me you're just an ANet fanboy." This is just absurd.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Uhm actually no it started loooooong before even SWTOR went to beta, there are posts people put in threads about the game stating that simply because it HAS a cash shop that it's instantly P2W this is very old.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

cuts out the gold farmers. why not cash in on it.

not to mention that one doesn't HAVE to buy gems at all not for gear, not for content, not for anything.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

What makes you think so? Imo it doesn't and never did...

Cheap gold = cheap gems = massive inflation

Players who bought gold in P2P games will do the same in F2P games.

Hype train -> Reality

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by itgrowls

not to mention that one doesn't HAVE to buy gems at all not for gear, not for content, not for anything.

But the masses of ignorance will fail to see that.  To them anything cash shop like equates to P2W even though not a single items provides any kind of advantage over other players.

• JazKW347JazKW347 Member Posts: 54

Hopefully this will put the cash-shop doomsayers at bay. This is also a reason theres an NDA to prevent backlash such as the CS backlash. Who ever leaked the CS items has opened the proverbial "Pandora's Box."

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I think the system is very similar to the diamond/gold in Runes of Magic.

There is 3 thing to learn from when they allowed players to sell/buy diamonds in the auction house:

1. Increace of credit card fraud. Frogster had make a change because of that: diamond bought with credit card could not be placed in auction house for first 3 days after purchase

2. Big inflation. Money sink but also now more reason to get gold. Everyone farms.

3. It didn't keep the gold-sellers away. They just put up better offer.

GW1 did not have cash shop from the start. It was introduced some time after Factions.

What I most dislike about the cash shop is the random dye and minipet. It very close to gambling.

It should be very clear what you get in the shop, luck should have nothing to do with it.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    "Loquacious Asuran tang. - 100g per hour."

Nobody saw that coming. Or did they? ::rimshot:;

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by Ambros123

But the masses of ignorance will fail to see that.  To them anything cash shop like equates to P2W even though not a single items provides any kind of advantage over other players.

Then explain to me how gems -> gold -> influence -> WvW buffs is not an advantage.

And don't give me "It's only beta, Anet will surely change it!". That's not an argument and may or may not happen.

So much about ignorance...

Hype train -> Reality

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

And  whats with this mystic key?Your telling me there are chests that you can only open with it and the only way to get a key is with gems?

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Sheeps, even worst - Uninformed, not willing to read and think sheeps. The world is full of them and they always pull the humankind back.

And if they dont play I will be even more happy.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Fangrim

And  whats with this mystic key?Your telling me there are chests that you can only open with it and the only way to get a key is with gems?

So they designed inconvenience in to the game, and you pay to have the inconvenience removed, surely not , not the soon to be beatified ANet, they have the worlds largest supply of integrity stored in an underground bunker, I refuse to believe it. I would just like to take this opportunity to thank ANet for the cash shop and everything in it, thank you, you are wonderful and I love you.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I haven't ever seen this level of people defending cash shops in games before.  This is what bothers me.  I think cash shops are perfectly fine.  But until GW2 came out I was in the minority, now it seems like I'm part of the majority since GW2 is doing it. Woohoo I guess.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal over this cash shop. Guild Wars 1 has always had one since the first xpac. I am guessing that the people making a fuss are new to series ? It would be the only way for these risiduclous threads make any sense.

I am not new to the series. I started playing Guild Wars back in April when it released and I can tell you that it is YOU who's wrong. Guild Wars 1 got its ingame store over a year after the game was released. And even then it was an ingame store which offered services which all other MMOs offer e.g. character slots. After GWEN was released they started with the whole costume crap. GW1 hasn't always had one.

I agree that people should stop QQ about it. If they don't like that the game has a cash shop, they should not play it. It's this simple.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Then explain to me how gems -> gold -> influence -> WvW buffs is not an advantage.

And don't give me "It's only beta, Anet will surely change it!". That's not an argument and may or may not happen.

So much about ignorance...

Nothing there gives any WvWvW buffs whatsoever, show me a PvP buff item from the store [mod edit].. guess what?  There isn't any.  Thks for proving the ingorance in the crowd.

Everthing in the store follows their philosophy on cosmetics and time efficiency.  A few are a grey area like the resurrection stones and magic item find but in the end they are just time efficiency items.

"Here’s our philosophy on microtransactions: We think players should have the opportunity to spend money on items that provide visual distinction and offer more ways to express themselves. They should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items. But it’s never OK for players to buy a game and not be able to enjoy what they paid for without additional purchases, and it’s never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time."

Mike O'Brien

President of ArenaNet

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

The cash shop for Guild Wars was introduced shortly after the "Game of the Year" edition of the game.  Prior to that they did not have a cash shop.  That edition of the game was introduced in 2007, the cash shop allowed people with older accounts to buy an ingame weapons pack that came with the "Game of the Year" edition in early 2008.  Those weapons were unsellable and untradeable.

What I find so interesting is that the "Game of the Year" edition upgrade included max damage weapons that gave new charectors an advantage in the game.  Prior to including them there were no max damage weapons in the starting area (known as Pre).  No one complained about that breaking the game.

Having several days to look at and think about the items found in the ingame store, I see nothing there that is "game breaking" or even game endangering.  There are not even max damage weapons in the cash shop so I don't see why so many are upset by its existance.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Nothing there gives any WvWvW buffs whatsoever, show me a PvP buff item from the store [mod edit].... guess what?  There isn't any.  Thks for proving the ingorance in the crowd.

Everthing in the store follows their philosophy on cosmetics and time efficiency.  A few are a grey area like the resurrection stones and magic item find but in the end they are just time efficiency items.

"Here’s our philosophy on microtransactions: We think players should have the opportunity to spend money on items that provide visual distinction and offer more ways to express themselves. They should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items. But it’s never OK for players to buy a game and not be able to enjoy what they paid for without additional purchases, and it’s never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time."

Mike O'Brien

President of ArenaNet

The shop in GW1 is called NCstore, not Arenanet-store. Mike O´Brien can talk about his philosophy and what he thinks all night long. NCsoft matters.