Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where are the Tera Beta reviews?????

Ok so i live in old blighty and this website has  predominantly US members. You guys are playing it as we speak (my turn next week) YET there isn't much feedback on Tera. I thought the reviews/opinions would be rolling in. Or are you too obsessed with the game? That must be it..............

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

Comments

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I've played an archer to level 10 so far (took my daughter to Hunger Games also so havn't had a lot of time).

I really like the combat style, having to aim is a great feature which I always enjoyed in Darkfall.

I have 250 ping to US servers but it has not been much of an issue so far (which was my key concern).

Almost off the starter island, and I joined a pvp server (jagged rocks or something) so looking forward to seeing pvp soon (starter island is non-pvp).

If this is the future of MMO combat then I'm happy.

Undecided on whether to preorder at this stage, I love my Lotro and plan to play TSW and/ or GW2 but looking forward to giving the game a good go for the next 24 hours.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Right here:

It's a generic MMO with a really awesome combat system and a politcal system that seems awesome, but will only be accessed those which have no lives. It also has skimpy clothing. The end.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Played it yesterday, didnt like it really.

Graphically and aesthetically is the generic Asian MMo, sam old same old final fantasy/aion style.

The target system combat is awkward and makes the game feel a basic old dungeon grinder. The UI is oversized and doesnt seem to fit with the rest of the game.

The quest system is the old, talk to npc, kill mobs, no voiceover just a simple click accept click accept.

Wont buy ofc, but at least I tried

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

This my pros/cons for my first impression. Notice: I don't know anything about this game. This is score for my first 15 levels of gameplay / my 1st time with the game.

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics

+ Good optimization

+ Action combat

+ Mobs have various attack mechanics

+ Combat promotes skillful play, not just stats (you can almost never get hit by mob if you play good)

+ Epic bosses

+ Cool transition between zones (warp + flying on the pegasus)

+ Mount is acquired quite early (lv 10)

Cons:

- All races have the same starting zone

- All races have the same quests/story (as far as I could tell)

- Still using holy trinity format

- Same boring grind quests - kill 10 piglets (90% of them), the other 10% are delivery quests and you will never read dialogues (this goes for the first 3 zones -> starting, velika and lumbertown, I never got further than that)

- No distinction between players playing the same class - same builds/same skills, only different gear/race (WRONG)

-> glyph system solves that!

- Class use only one weapon

- Holy trinity AGAIN

SCORE: 6.5/10 for the first impression (decent)

In summary: this game's main attributes are graphics, action combat and boss fights, everything else is the same old. However, I heard about politics system which could be awesome, I've never experienced it so I left it out this short review.

-----------------------------------

That was my review for the beta weeekend before this one. I entered this one as well, but I couldn't play the same thing again. No repetitiveness value at all! Why they didn't make starting zones for each race. Also I noticed that character customation isn't as good as it could have been. And starting armors are all the same, so prepare to see hordes of clones at launch.

My score fell down to 5/10. (mediocre)

Its a great game if it was B2P or F2P, but I don't see it last very long as P2P.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by thedarkess

This my pros/cons for my first impression. Notice: I don't know anything about this game. This is score for my first 15 levels of gameplay / my 1st time with the game.

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics

+ Good optimization

+ Action combat

+ Mobs have various attack mechanics

+ Combat promotes skillful play, not just stats (you can almost never get hit by mob if you play good)

+ Epic bosses

+ Cool transition between zones (warp + flying on the pegasus)

+ Mount is acquired quite early (lv 10)

Cons:

- All races have the same starting zone

- All races have the same quests/story (as far as I could tell)

- Still using holy trinity format

- Same boring grind quests - kill 10 piglets (90% of them), the other 10% are delivery quests and you will never read dialogues (this goes for the first 3 zones -> starting, velika and lumbertown, I never got further than that)

- No distinction between players playing the same class - same builds/same skills, only diacefferent gear/r 

- Class use only one weapon

- Holy trinity AGAIN

SCORE: 6.5/10 for the first impression (decent)

In summary: this game's main attributes are graphics, action combat and boss fights, everything else is the same old. However, I heard about politics system which could be awesome, I've never experienced it so I left it out this short review.

-----------------------------------

That was my review for the beta weeekend before this one. I entered this one as well, but I couldn't play the same thing again. No repetitiveness value at all! Why they didn't make starting zones for each race. Also I noticed that character customation isn't as good as it could have been. And starting armors are all the same, so prepare to see hordes of clones at launch.

My score fell down to 5/10.

Its a great game if it was B2P or F2P, but I don't see it last very long as P2P.

When you get to level 20, there is a glyph system for customising your abilities.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Yes, someone told me. I just copy/pasted my old review, forgot to correct it. I will do it now.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Personally like the holy trinity format, reason i play mmorpg is to full fill a role. I like it that i can do something other people can't. Personally i can't stand mmorpgs w/o it because that means anyone can take over your job and what you do is fairly meanless. Thats a personal preference ofc.

I say if anyone want to write review or impression of any kind do it after lvl 20 after you fought a BAM and did the first dungeon. Because until than you will always missed out key hook of this game. Yes having to get to lvl 20 to experience it is a fault of teh game, however by not getting to 20 and try it many of claims made are simpley wrong because you never reached it and you assume its not there.

Also lot of people like me don't mind the old style of game at all. Honestly i don't want any revolutionary changes, i love the formate of mmorpgs as it is, i'm just sick of combat because it was always gear > everything. Finally a combat system where i have to pay attention and skill > gear (on equal lvl) was exactly what i wanted. Thats all i wanted, i personally like every aspect of asian mmorpg and many other do as well and hey thats our choice. Not everyone will love it but not everyone will hate it either.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm not bashing the game but it wasn't for me. The movement was pretty smoothe but you had to use your mouse for your actions. For example I tried a Slayer and the left mouse button swung my sword and my right would do a roll. There was no way to access the hotbar other than physically hitting a keyboard number, you can't use the mouse arrow to select an icon on the hotbar. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by rexzshadow

I say if anyone want to write review or impression of any kind do it after lvl 20 after you fought a BAM and did the first dungeon. Because until than you will always missed out key hook of this game. Yes having to get to lvl 20 to experience it is a fault of teh game, however by not getting to 20 and try it many of claims made are simpley wrong because you never reached it and you assume its not there.

That's a pretty big issue to be honest. Why should a game ever make you spend a day getting to a point before the fun starts.

The game should grab you right from the start and that's what Tera isn't doing for me. It feels like Aion 2.0 with updated combat system to me.

• The_DhampirThe_Dhampir Member UncommonPosts: 62

It's a generic quest themepark MMO with watered down combat elements from vindictus. So far it's all a long quest chain. Combat abilities combo into eachother with prompts for spacebar. Mobs telegraph their moves and with most classes that means right-click to either dodge it or block it. It all gets old pretty quick.

So far Blade & Soul, from what i've played of it, beats it in every way. So I'm passing on Tera for GW2 and a US release of Blade and Soul.

• FonnexFonnex Member Posts: 7

Tera has the combat for it's major feature it may not be perfect but it's surely a good step further to new mmorpg's which they should start adapting and expanding further, other than that it has the generally the same features as any mmorpg's these days with no actually exemptions and this year to be released mmorpg's as well, and why play this? Because if you are actually searching for a new mmorpg to play and not a old one there isn't any other option for this year which would make you feel more like you are playing a new kind of game, because combat is what you will be doing most of the time the other features not always.

Guild Wars 2 The Perfect Creation of God.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Fonnex

Tera has the combat for it's major feature it may not be perfect but it's surely a good step further to new mmorpg's which they should start adapting and expanding further, other than that it has the generally the same features as any mmorpg's these days with no actually exemptions and this year to be released mmorpg's as well, and why play this? Because if you are actually searching for a new mmorpg to play and not a old one there isn't any other option for this year which would make you feel more like you are playing a new kind of game, because combat is what you will be doing most of the time the other features not always.

While I wouldn't say that everything that TERA has hasn't been done before (even similar combat systems), I can say that TERA is pretty well designed world with very good graphics, a good combat system for people that either don't like tab-targeting or just got tired of it and has a very good mix of standard MMO features to boot. It even has some MMO feature that are not that common such as politics, GvG along with OWPvP, dark crevices (high-level rifts) and in a few months server battles.

So all in all if you look at all the features that the game has to offer in total, it has plenty of them.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

If Tera was F2P I might play it. I just can t get past the fact I can t really get into it. Outisde the combat, and as someone else said the political system that really will be only for a select few,m who live in the game, it offers nothing new at all.

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

It's a fun game with great combat, nice graphics, a not-so-good questing system, and a reliance on teaming to really enjoy it. I definitely think a lot of people will be impressed with TERA at first but I'm not sure it can survive with a box plus sub payment model, which most games seem to be having a difficult time doing.

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

After playing it for one weekend I came to the conclusion that no matter how you try to slice it, this game is nothing more than a cheap f2p game that requires a monthly sub.  There is no way in hell I would pay for this game at all,  this game makes SWTOR look like the next commin of Christ.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Dislike pc controls and combat mecanics not optimized for pc, not recomending this at launch. If the devs redo game for pc instead of Xbox then maybe.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • keviebyokeviebyo Member UncommonPosts: 31

Before the beta started, I was really excited for TERA. As soon as pre-orders were available, I jumped on it! Entirely too sick of boring auto-target systems, I've been looking for MMOs which are more action based and TERA does alright here.

• The graphics are amazing, best in any MMO (in my opinion)

• The combat is pretty fun, but like others have said, it gets old pretty quickly. I like aiming my attacks and not having an auto-target system. The two main reasons it gets boring is lack of a decent evade skill (like shift + direction to dodge), and the inability to move while attacking. Action combat should flow well, TERA combat does not.

• The quests are very boring and grinding mobs, if you perfer, will severely slow down your leveling. 

• I love PVP, but the game is still lacking battlegrounds. No low-level PVP either, meaning you have to play for hours and hours before you can even get to a zone to find someone to fight with.

All in all, it is something different than the current 'main' MMOs. Like with any MMO, some aspects are great, and some are bad. I've kept my pre-order this far, but Guild Wars 2 will most likely be my next game to focus on. In TERA I have 4 characters in their 20's and am holding off playing it much more until it is released. The quests are bad enough that I don't want to go through all of them again, but the high level BAMs I've seen look fun, and I really want them to get busy with the PVP.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Asian

Played 2-3 betas.  Can-x'd sub.

Quest are boring and no engaging.  80000000 kill quests.

Game LOOKS good but thats about it.

Interesting combat but I prefer WoW or DCUOs mechanics more.

Most guildies were hyped by this and are quitting in droves.

Good for a 1 month investment.  That's about it.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Ikeda

Asian

Ya, I noticed that as well, almost everyone I know, who were going to play this, are passing. It s too bad because we all were looking forward to it. Oh well, more games to play soon.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by Ikeda

Asian

Ya, I noticed that as well, almost everyone I know, who were going to play this, are passing. It s too bad because we all were looking forward to it. Oh well, more games to play soon.

On the contrary all my guildies are still playing right now. :P

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

My short and aweet tera review for the OP.

Go to google and type in " f2p generic asian mmorpg" and there you have it, its the same review as every other.

P.S.  ok it has 2 differences, its not f2p you have to pay a monthly fee and actualy has good graphics and performance.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Other than the combat its bascally a generic mmorpg that looks pretty. Its really nothing special at all, the pvp I been told is fun since unlike wow its not based on who can circle straife faster and faceplant buttons. Friend told me about soome of his encounters, one was kinda epic he had 4 people trying to kill him and due to there being no auto-hit/lockon stuff, when they swung they usually hit her pet that is behind her, anyway long story short she ended up killing all 4 of them by herself, not because she was a oped class (she was a mystic which is bascally a healer/buiffer), but because she was just a better player and used the games mechanics to her advantage.

Apparently past lv 20 or so the npc enemies get a decent diffculty increase and people start to team up, this is where it differs from most korean mmo's, most mmo's from there are bascally single player games with a glorifed chat room.but other than that diff and the combat its the generic go from quest hub to quest hub on a string deal, at endgame you have pve raiding, and some guild vs guild pvp for control of land and such, where you can even move special shops etc in and get a cut of everything the npc shops sel. I just hope they don't go stupid and have seperate pvp gear, everyone should have to raid for their shit, don't cater to the very small pvp crowd and alienate the rest.

I never cared for pvp till I played Dark Age of Camelot, everyone had same gear, was the same level usually (cept in the battle grounds can be a 0-4 lv variance) so pvp was more based about yoru skill build and skill as a player, especally since for melee chars for example, their strongest attacks were always positionals like the side and back etc.Mages throws a fireball at you and your facing them with a shield u had about a 75% chance to block the fireball and take 0 damage. Fireballs were mages strongest attacks, but also the easiest to block, the rest are insta dd's that can't be blocked but are much weaker.

I've played mmo's for a long time and I have never had a smuch fun with pvp as I did in daoc, taking castles at max lv was fun as hell, because even the npc guards at the castle put up one hell of a fight, never mind the enemy factions players that usually show up.

Ever sicne world fo warcraft mmo's have been in a steady decline, they getting easier and easier, and alot less intersting, look at swtor for example, the game honestly is a piece of shit, you have 0 freedom at all except to follow the rails bioware has you on, not to mention its so generic its painfully boring. The classes were pretty much copy and pasted from world of warcraft and just given a star war's spin on them. A few decent mmo's have come and gone but th eonly one thats ever held my attention for more than 2-3 months have been daoc and final fantasy 11 before abyysea came out. I liked how FF11 was diffculty, I liked how your forced to work together to get stuff done at ALL levels, not just cap. Then abyysea came out and they bascally turned the game into crap, it lost the sense of accomplishment it used to have even from mundane things like leveling up. Now you can get from lv 1-99 in less than a day.

Anyway I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2, Phantasy Star Online 2, cuz they both don't appear to be the exact same generic garbage like swtor and rift that have been being made recently. SWTOR has like 1.7 mil subs but I bet you 90-95% of those subs are probally bioware or star wars fanboys, who'd not know a good game if it bit them in their senstive bits.

Anyway to end my post/small rant, if you think Tera is going to really be any diffrent think again, is the game fun? kinda, its combat system makes killing things alot more fun, but other than that it really has nothing special, though it does offer more than swtor did, which honestly is not hard to do.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

A mix of RIFT, AION and FFXII

Graphics are nice. Gameplay is smooth. Its very stable for a Beta

Standard Themepark

Not a bad over-all game. One of the better Korean ones

Even though its and Asian Themepark its still better than SWTOR

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• SagremorSagremor Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by tryklon

Played it yesterday, didnt like it really.

Graphically and aesthetically is the generic Asian MMo, sam old same old final fantasy/aion style.

The target system combat is awkward and makes the game feel a basic old dungeon grinder. The UI is oversized and doesnt seem to fit with the rest of the game.

The quest system is the old, talk to npc, kill mobs, no voiceover just a simple click accept click accept.

Wont buy ofc, but at least I tried

This... and many more... 

I know it is only Beta but the chat was so awfully full of dumbasses... as in the community will be fulled with jerks all around. 

i played a class where all I had to do is shoot a white ball at enemy. No fluidity in combat as the small mob where at my feet and I couldn't target them. 

The game kept crashing on me with a computer able more than enough to run this game on a fresh and up-to-date Windows 7. No V-Sync to remove the tearing. 

Not my type of game. Glad I was able to try it in beta for free but this is definately one I will pass on. 

When the hype is so high, the fall is long and painful.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.