Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is it time....

2»

Comments

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by ignore_me

Originally posted by Paithan

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Bunks

A standard server can have anything from 450 to over 1500 or so. If you have a low one it will feel pretty light.

Yet now there are people claiming their servers ticked up to standard with only ~380 just this past week.

One person sampled 10 standard servers and claimed a pop range of 350- 800 among them all.

If you go back before that infamous "leap" in population on feb 4th, most people were claiming it took 750 to hit standard.

Oh btw Ref- my son's friends who bought 3 month cards and activated their games say their accounts expire on April 17th. And the one's who didn't renew back in January all said their accounts didn't expire till Feb 2nd. These kids all got the game at Christmas.  Sounds like BW didn't start the counter till after the Christmas break. Or those who pre canceled at the end of one month got extra "time" to reconsider :)

Someone else said they seemed to have an extra few days, not sure what it's about, good to know for checking the XFire predictions.

Im willing to believe there are a good amount of servers with very low population counts but acording to the server status, my own server ussually has an standard population, 5ish minutes before posting this there where 96 players at imp fleet and 57 on rep fleet, my imp guild had 127 members online, spread around the game, my rep guild had 157 online. SO yes I do question those numbers.

Im too lazy to count how many servers there are but using your numbers, guessing there are 150 servers.. that would mean there are only 52.500 - 120.000 players online at the time world wide. thats below swg had.

It is all made worse by the instancing. They need a galactic chat channel per server.

That would definately help.

But it still amuses me how people blame ea for this mess, EA is one of the big reasons why Bioware had a VERY generous budget to play with, its entirely to blame to Bioware how they wasted it.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Is everyone who are on perceived low pop servers on PVP servers by any chance? 

Now this takes about 10 minutes guys and you can find out how many people are on your faction and you can do it for both factions.... Open the who tab in the social window....

1: Put 1-10 Sith, Jedi, Imperial Agent etc.... and add numbers up... then

2: Put 11-20 and add all the AC for your factiuon one by one, if any go over 100 you can refine it with planet, fleet etc.. but not many will until you get to 50.

3: Do step 2 with 21-30 31-40 41-49 50-50 and you'll have the number of that faction on your server.

4: Repeat for opposite faction.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Merging servers is a short term solution to empty servers.

The wider problem is a lot deeper than keeping a few servers populated.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It is all made worse by the instancing. They need a galactic chat channel per server.

But it still amuses me how people blame ea for this mess, EA is one of the big reasons why Bioware had a VERY generous budget to play with, its entirely to blame to Bioware how they wasted it.

Definitely something needs to be done.

Even on the heavy population servers, it can get somewhat vacant at times. Also, neither EA nor Bioware are blameless for this game. Both had a pretty big impact on the outcome of the game. Yes, EA was very generous with the purse strings, but they are also notorious for pushing things out early (this game is no exception). However, Bioware did make a number of glaring design judgement errors that are still present in today's version of the game.

Either way, server merges would be a huge help for this game. I'm not entirely against a server chat channel (this could probably even be made custom by the community, but everyone would need to join it, but it could get annoying to see server spam on every planet. The starter zones & fleet are usually bad enough.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by aesperus

Definitely something needs to be done.

Even on the heavy population servers, it can get somewhat vacant at times. Also, neither EA nor Bioware are blameless for this game. Both had a pretty big impact on the outcome of the game. Yes, EA was very generous with the purse strings, but they are also notorious for pushing things out early (this game is no exception). However, Bioware did make a number of glaring design judgement errors that are still present in today's version of the game.

Either way, server merges would be a huge help for this game. I'm not entirely against a server chat channel (this could probably even be made custom by the community, but everyone would need to join it, but it could get annoying to see server spam on every planet. The starter zones & fleet are usually bad enough.

In this case the big problem(s) with the game wouldnt have been resolved by delaying release, in general an early release effects mostly polish, not the amounth of content.

Heck look at the upcoming 1.2 patch, its not a useless patch, alot of things in it are definately needed, on the other hand, most of the things they are working on are nice but arent adressing the problems. Heck look at the trade skill changes, it brings value to crafted gear, but it doesnt really adress the problem.. the actual desirebility to DO have that proffesion.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Originally posted by Bunks

A standard server can have anything from 450 to over 1500 or so. If you have a low one it will feel pretty light.

Yet now there are people claiming their servers ticked up to standard with only ~380 just this past week.

One person sampled 10 standard servers and claimed a pop range of 350- 800 among them all.

If you go back before that infamous "leap" in population on feb 4th, most people were claiming it took 750 to hit standard.

Oh btw Ref- my son's friends who bought 3 month cards and activated their games say their accounts expire on April 17th. And the one's who didn't renew back in January all said their accounts didn't expire till Feb 2nd. These kids all got the game at Christmas.  Sounds like BW didn't start the counter till after the Christmas break. Or those who pre canceled at the end of one month got extra "time" to reconsider :)

Someone else said they seemed to have an extra few days, not sure what it's about, good to know for checking the XFire predictions.

Im willing to believe there are a good amount of servers with very low population counts but acording to the server status, my own server ussually has an standard population, 5ish minutes before posting this there where 96 players at imp fleet and 57 on rep fleet, my imp guild had 127 members online, spread around the game, my rep guild had 157 online. SO yes I do question those numbers.

Im too lazy to count how many servers there are but using your numbers, guessing there are 150 servers.. that would mean there are only 52.500 - 120.000 players online at the time world wide. thats below swg had.

You think EA gave them all that money and didn't have a say in the development? I'd be willing to bet that EA made a lot of design choices and would even go as far as guessing that Bioware had to get EA approval for everything...

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Chieftan

Nice insider information there.  So what's your position at Bioware/EA?

Red Eclipse: 835 republic and 947 empire(not including all lvl50's),

Kellian Jarro: 185 republic, 158 empire

both standard load

The difference between the two ends of standard seems to be pretty huge. The results were obtained by typing who from lvl 1-10 and so on, on both factions on both servers. So not sure about the total amount of players in red eclipse, as it shows only first 100 results for lvl50's.

Are you a Bioware employee?
  • TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Jakard

I actually just created a character on Zakkeg Beast and was amazed when I saw 139 players on Taris. It was like a vibrant MMO community. People were tlaking in chat. It was awesome :) I just wish I didn't have to start a new guy to experience this. 

That's what I did. I got to lvl 30 on my original server, but it was dead, so I re-rolled on the Swiftsure and found it was full of people, maybe some other re-rolls too.  

I don't presently play SWTOR, but I suggest that if you do, rolling on a populated server makes the game a lot more fun.