Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is it time....

I"m a current SWTOR player and I'm still enjoying the game very much. However, there's a lot of things that obviously need to happen for this game to have any kind of longevity and as much as Bioware and EA probably don't want to hear this. I think it's time to start merging servers. I've been playing on a pvp server and with the exception of The Republic Fleet, I have not been on any planet (currently on Hoth) where I have sen more than 20 players on the planet. This is problematic for a variety of reasons and judging by a look at  the server load this afternoon, it's a pretty wide-spread  problem. When I looked this afternoon, you had four servrs with "standard" population and two with "heavy". The rest were listed as having a light population. I know merging servers is seen as admitting defeat but come on... give me some people to play with, LOL

Comments

• kuraikenshinkuraikenshin Member Posts: 47

I think your absolutely right. I'm having the same experience and I have  barely seen another soul while leveling up. Merging servers would be nice. I find it hard to find people around my level even in fleet, to do flashpoints with while I level up. At this rate its looking like I'll only get to run flashpoints at 50.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I actually just created a character on Zakkeg Beast and was amazed when I saw 139 players on Taris. It was like a vibrant MMO community. People were tlaking in chat. It was awesome :) I just wish I didn't have to start a new guy to experience this. 

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

I am all for another server merging with my server but I will be annoyed if I have to change my names.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

I hope you guys were not part of the people crying about queues.

"I don't want to wait 15mins BW, you fail, add more serverz nowzz!!"

eqnext.wikia.com

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Oh wait?
    You mean BW didn't set it up so players had their own personal servers?
    :)

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

I bet BW would merge servers in a second if they could, but EA won't allow it this soon. BW cares about the game, EA cares about image.

I bet you could merge down to 30 US and 15 EU servers and still not have an issue with full servers except for peak times if player based census takers aren't lying through their teeth. People can blame BW all they want for having too many servers added but it was EA who made them push this game out for Christmas. Only now to have BW employees admit that 1.2 was what they thought of as the finished product.

Dont blame the customers for complaining about QQing and don't blame BW for the game not being polished. This disaster is all at the foot of the Deathstar...I mean EA.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by matraque

I started SWTOr with 2 friends Ive been gaming with Since 2007 when I joined a guild with them in it in WoW, we have prolly played every MMO since then together and have quit most of them and when we decided to give SWTOR a try they were bitching and moaning about the 45 min queue times on Warriors of the Shadow PvP server but I insisted we stick it out because as always the queues inevitably die off and those who migrate to new servers to get away from queues are the same people bitching and complaining 2 months after release to merge servers because of population dissparities.  Needless to say I am glad I told my guys to man up and stick with it lol.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Coltaine00Coltaine00 Member Posts: 52

So it's either wait in queues or play with 20 people per planet?

Oh my, you're not trying to take anything to extremes are you now?

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Rift went through the same thing as will any and every MMO.  There is the initial influx of players, after some time there is a mass exodus.  The lighter servers get hit hard with this which only worsens as people move to more populated servers.  In time there will be server merges but this exodus phase needs to pass through.  Rift did offer free server moves I beleive which could also happen.  Voice you opinion on their official forums so that adds a louder voice to push BW to merge servers of do free character transfers.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

I don't understand everyone complaining about low server population. Where you guys logging in from? I'm in USA here and pretty much anytime I log in all servers are at Standard. Only around 3-4 A.M. Central time do I see light servers....Other than those several in the middle of the list that are ALWAYS light loaded for some reason.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    A standard server can have anything from 450 to over 1500 or so. If you have a low one it will feel pretty light.
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Rift went through the same thing as will any and every MMO.  There is the initial influx of players, after some time there is a mass exodus.  The lighter servers get hit hard with this which only worsens as people move to more populated servers.  In time there will be server merges but this exodus phase needs to pass through.  Rift did offer free server moves I beleive which could also happen.  Voice you opinion on their official forums so that adds a louder voice to push BW to merge servers of do free character transfers.

That particular thread is already very long, BW state they don't have the technology ready and that the Legacy system makes it more complicated. The general consensus is whichever they choose, merge or free transfer, needs to be done as soon as possible.
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Oh crimeny.   That position is one of the biggest loads of fanboy BS on the internet.  BioWare was very careful.     I'll keep it simple to US East because the list would become unbearable.  

Initial EGA servers -  900,000 accounts (24 servers):

• Canderous Ordo

• Corellian Run

• Darth Bandon

• Dreshdae Cantina

• Giradda the Hutt

• Grand Master Zym

• Jedi Covenant

• Juyo

• Kaas City

• Keller's Void

• Krayt Dragon

• Mind Trick

• Shadow Hand

• Shii-Cho

• Sith Meditation Sphere

• Sith Wyrm

• Tarro Blood

• Telos Restoration Project

• The Shadowlands

• Thana Vesh

• The Corsair

• The Constant - NEW 12/16

• Krayiss Obelisk - NEW 12/16

• Kathol Rift - NEW 12/16

Open access (post EGA) servers added (22 servers):

• Whitebeam Run - NEW 12/20

• Khoonda Militia - NEW 12/20

• Keetael - NEW 12/20

• Ki-Ta Kren - NEW 12/20

• The Courageous - NEW 12/20

• Anturi Reach - NEW 12/20

• Firaxan Shark - NEW 12/20

• The Defenestrator - NEW 12/20

• Fort Garnik - NEW 12/20

• The Razor - NEW 12/20

• Assassins of Sion - NEW 12/20

• Hanharr - NEW 12/20

• ICE Breaker - NEW 12/20

• Eidolon Security - NEW 12/20

• Elysium - NEW 12/20

• Sedyn Kyne - NEW 12/20

• Axial Park - NEW 12/20

• Nathema - NEW 12/20

• Crevasse City - NEW 12/20

• Zez-Kai Ell - NEW 12/20

• Colonel Tobin - NEW 12/20

• Master Dorak - NEW 12/20

Since then only the three Oceania servers.  

By 12/24/2011 total sales were 1.45 million.     By 12/31/2011 sales were 1.76 million.   We had, effectively, twice the servers for twice the sales as were avaiable for EGA.     No servers have been added since.    Total unit sales as of 03/17/2012 - 2.2 million.

On January  8th, with sales at 1.88 miillion,  one week after the new year, servers were (by hours/status) approximately 30% heavy, 45% standard, 25% light and wait times were still possilble on the heaviest servers.     This weekend's peak, including TRIAL USERS was 4% heavy 44% standard and 52% light on 2.22 million units sold.     Further, over 80% of all servers now run at 50% or less time at standard.   Some servers have not gotten out of light for weeks.

So we get to the fundamental truth of the matter.   The servers are emply, not because they've added more servers (except those three I mentined) but because people are walking away from the game in droves.    You cannot have crowded servers, add 33% more units sold, then have virtually all them have severe population crashes for no reason.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

The single player story is the only part of the game worth playing, so no, server mergers are not needed.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Oh crimeny.   That position is one of the biggest loads of fanboy BS on the internet.  BioWare was very careful.     I'll keep it simple to US East because the list would become unbearable.  

Initial EGA servers -  900,000 accounts (24 servers):

• Canderous Ordo

• Corellian Run

• Darth Bandon

• Dreshdae Cantina

• Giradda the Hutt

• Grand Master Zym

• Jedi Covenant

• Juyo

• Kaas City

• Keller's Void

• Krayt Dragon

• Mind Trick

• Shadow Hand

• Shii-Cho

• Sith Meditation Sphere

• Sith Wyrm

• Tarro Blood

• Telos Restoration Project

• The Shadowlands

• Thana Vesh

• The Corsair

• The Constant - NEW 12/16

• Krayiss Obelisk - NEW 12/16

• Kathol Rift - NEW 12/16

Open access (post EGA) servers added (22 servers):

• Whitebeam Run - NEW 12/20

• Khoonda Militia - NEW 12/20

• Keetael - NEW 12/20

• Ki-Ta Kren - NEW 12/20

• The Courageous - NEW 12/20

• Anturi Reach - NEW 12/20

• Firaxan Shark - NEW 12/20

• The Defenestrator - NEW 12/20

• Fort Garnik - NEW 12/20

• The Razor - NEW 12/20

• Assassins of Sion - NEW 12/20

• Hanharr - NEW 12/20

• ICE Breaker - NEW 12/20

• Eidolon Security - NEW 12/20

• Elysium - NEW 12/20

• Sedyn Kyne - NEW 12/20

• Axial Park - NEW 12/20

• Nathema - NEW 12/20

• Crevasse City - NEW 12/20

• Zez-Kai Ell - NEW 12/20

• Colonel Tobin - NEW 12/20

• Master Dorak - NEW 12/20

Since then only the three Oceania servers.  

By 12/24/2011 total sales were 1.45 million.     By 12/31/2011 sales were 1.76 million.   We had, effectively, twice the servers for twice the sales as were avaiable for EGA.     No servers have been added since.    Total unit sales as of 03/17/2012 - 2.2 million.

On January  8th, with sales at 1.88 miillion,  one week after the new year, servers were (by hours/status) approximately 30% heavy, 45% standard, 25% light and wait times were still possilble on the heaviest servers.     This weekend's peak, including TRIAL USERS was 4% heavy 44% standard and 52% light on 2.22 million units sold.     Further, over 80% of all servers now run at 50% or less time at standard.   Some servers have not gotten out of light for weeks.

So we get to the fundamental truth of the matter.   The servers are emply, not because they've added more servers (except those three I mentined) but because people are walking away from the game in droves.    You cannot have crowded servers, add 33% more units sold, then have virtually all them have severe population crashes for no reason.

This. EA's and the fanboy's stories are contradictory.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by RefMinor

A standard server can have anything from 450 to over 1500 or so. If you have a low one it will feel pretty light.

Yet now there are people claiming their servers ticked up to standard with only ~380 just this past week.

One person sampled 10 standard servers and claimed a pop range of 350- 800 among them all.

If you go back before that infamous "leap" in population on feb 4th, most people were claiming it took 750 to hit standard.

Oh btw Ref- my son's friends who bought 3 month cards and activated their games say their accounts expire on April 17th. And the one's who didn't renew back in January all said their accounts didn't expire till Feb 2nd. These kids all got the game at Christmas.  Sounds like BW didn't start the counter till after the Christmas break. Or those who pre canceled at the end of one month got extra "time" to reconsider :)

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I wouldn't mind seeing more players just to get that mmo feel going. I don't really need more on my server per se. It has a good enough pop to cover all game aspects.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Jakard

I"m a current SWTOR player and I'm still enjoying the game very much. However, there's a lot of things that obviously need to happen for this game to have any kind of longevity and as much as Bioware and EA probably don't want to hear this. I think it's time to start merging servers. I've been playing on a pvp server and with the exception of The Republic Fleet, I have not been on any planet (currently on Hoth) where I have sen more than 20 players on the planet. This is problematic for a variety of reasons and judging by a look at  the server load this afternoon, it's a pretty wide-spread  problem. When I looked this afternoon, you had four servrs with "standard" population and two with "heavy". The rest were listed as having a light population. I know merging servers is seen as admitting defeat but come on... give me some people to play with, LOL

No merging servers is not seen as defeat. Developers purposely launch with a large # of servers. It is easier to downsize then to add servers in the last minute. It has been common practice for well over 5 years.

Originally posted by Chieftan

[mod edit]

go to their forums, three people already posted that around 380 it kicked thiers to standard.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I rerolled on The Fatman and in the starting zone alone there is 144 people on the planet. It's plenty populated, I know it's simply because a lot of people are trying the free weekend, but I did a /who of level 20-23 and there was over 100 people in that level range too. Quite a few.

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by Chieftan

[mod edit]

go to their forums, three people already posted that around 380 it kicked thiers to standard.

Lowest standard figures i saw were about 470ish, but yeah, I think the info is up on the SWTOR forums.

Originally posted by Panther2103

I rerolled on The Fatman and in the starting zone alone there is 144 people on the planet. It's plenty populated, I know it's simply because a lot of people are trying the free weekend, but I did a /who of level 20-23 and there was over 100 people in that level range too. Quite a few.

I think Fatman is the west coast recommended server, heavy most times.

Yet now there are people claiming their servers ticked up to standard with only ~380 just this past week.

One person sampled 10 standard servers and claimed a pop range of 350- 800 among them all.

If you go back before that infamous "leap" in population on feb 4th, most people were claiming it took 750 to hit standard.

Oh btw Ref- my son's friends who bought 3 month cards and activated their games say their accounts expire on April 17th. And the one's who didn't renew back in January all said their accounts didn't expire till Feb 2nd. These kids all got the game at Christmas.  Sounds like BW didn't start the counter till after the Christmas break. Or those who pre canceled at the end of one month got extra "time" to reconsider :)

Someone else said they seemed to have an extra few days, not sure what it's about, good to know for checking the XFire predictions.
  • PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Someone else said they seemed to have an extra few days, not sure what it's about, good to know for checking the XFire predictions.

Im willing to believe there are a good amount of servers with very low population counts but acording to the server status, my own server ussually has an standard population, 5ish minutes before posting this there where 96 players at imp fleet and 57 on rep fleet, my imp guild had 127 members online, spread around the game, my rep guild had 157 online. SO yes I do question those numbers.

Im too lazy to count how many servers there are but using your numbers, guessing there are 150 servers.. that would mean there are only 52.500 - 120.000 players online at the time world wide. thats below swg had.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Paithan

Im willing to believe there are a good amount of servers with very low population counts but acording to the server status, my own server ussually has an standard population, 5ish minutes before posting this there where 96 players at imp fleet and 57 on rep fleet, my imp guild had 127 members online, spread around the game, my rep guild had 157 online. SO yes I do question those numbers.

Im too lazy to count how many servers there are but using your numbers, guessing there are 150 servers.. that would mean there are only 52.500 - 120.000 players online at the time world wide. thats below swg had.

It is all made worse by the instancing. They need a galactic chat channel per server.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011