Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Upcoming MMO's without Pay2Win cash shop?

Comments

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Sythion

Would someone please acknowledge this?

Buying boosts = buying time.

Buying time != buying power.

::= Buying boosts != buying power

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

Spending Time = Getting More Power

Buying Time = Spending Time

Therefore... Buying Time = Getting More Power

Therefore... Buying Time = Buying Power

QED, no?

So if Buying Time = Buying Power

Pay2Play = buying gametime

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

then Pay2Play = Pay2win   Whoa, WoW is pay2win!!!

Of course it would be hard to win a game you cannot access so... Of F@#$ing Course Buying Time = Buying Power. Derp.

It is called an even playing field.  In Pay2Play (without cash shop) everybody pays for the same time and have the same advantages.  The only thing that seperates people in this case is skill and effort.  In Pay2Win, those that pay extra get more time/power than those who don't.  Then what seperates people in this case is skill, effort, and money spent.

Fundamentally changes the game and I refuse to play games that have it, plain and simple.  Hence this thread, as I want to know what MMOs if any will not have this pay2win cash shop model.  Looks bleak apparently, but I am patient and will wait for one.  There are many other games out there to play without putting up with this latest fad in MMO gaming.

Why should some punk kid have an advantage over me just because he has no job and therefore has more time to grind out more gold and therefore can enchant his gear better than me? It is not skill and it is very little effort. It is just time. What if my kid were to send me a thousand gold every week because he felt sorry for me having to work to keep our family of the rain and he didn't want me to fall behind? What If I were so pleased with that deal I payed for his sub. Now we are essentially trading $15 for 4000 gold in game. Would it be so much different if I payed someone elses kid a $15 30day game card for 4000gold?  

Sounds to me like people are sore because they want their advantage to continue being the only advantage.

Because you are supposed to be a grown-up.  Like any normal adult, you have more responsabilities now that you are no longer a child nor a teenager. You have to accept that you are no longer young and the consequences and joy that comes with that; you cannot be pathetic enough to complain about teenagers and children having so much time to spare. 

Grow up, but for real this time!

Let children be children and teenagers be teenagers, without perverting their games. 

I wasn't actually complaining about people having more time to play than me but illustrating the ridiculousness of complaining about these things from the other side of it. Me complaining about a jobless kid's advantage is as stupid as the complaints of those kids about those who can buy some time advantage in the game with real world money.

And when you have raise your kids to the point where they have their own then you can tell me to grow up. I spend my free time doing what I find interesting and I like having the choice to spend a little cash in game so I can play the endgame without having to waste hours and days farming gold and mats for consumables  when I could  spend those days with my grandkids.

Why exactly are you so set on a game forcing you to spend lots of time to simply participate in it in a normal way, rather than letting people have a choice? there are lots of games like that, go play one rather than demand that every game be marketed directly to you and your preferences.

All die, so die well.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Rhianni32

Thanks for not contributing to the discussion.  By the way somebody actually came up with a brilliant idea:  adding servers that don't allow a cash shop and charging a subscription fee for them.  So the discussion was valuable in my opinion, although no thanks to your "troll alert" contribution.  Thanks for listening though!

What discussion? It was obviously a rant about the gw2 "pathetic p2w" system poorly disguised as "discussion". lets just be honest here. You can't honestly be surprised at the response because its exactly what you were wanting.

I am honest.  I very much dislike the GW2 cash shop model, which I clearly and honestly stated (I didn't hide this fact as you seem to be implying), and I am looking for an MMO that doesn't have this model.  I honestly do not know which upcoming MMOs, if any, will not have this pay2win cash shop model.

Do you know which MMOs might not use this model?  If you do, you will have answered my question if you tell me...

GW2 is showing the most decent cash shop so far. If people still think taht is pay to win then go pay subscriptions for all the AA mmos out there which none are high enough to reach the third A. No need to make a new GW2 pay to win thread. You believe what you want and thats it. have fun paying for crappy games

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

I know p2w is going to come down to opinion but can people stop bringing up the $60 price tag of Guild Wars 2. World of Warcraft was $50 during release so after two months you have already paid more than you paid for GW2.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Sythion

Would someone please acknowledge this?

Buying boosts = buying time.

Buying time != buying power.

::= Buying boosts != buying power

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

Spending Time = Getting More Power

Buying Time = Spending Time

Therefore... Buying Time = Getting More Power

Therefore... Buying Time = Buying Power

QED, no?

So if Buying Time = Buying Power

Pay2Play = buying gametime

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

then Pay2Play = Pay2win   Whoa, WoW is pay2win!!!

Of course it would be hard to win a game you cannot access so... Of F@#$ing Course Buying Time = Buying Power. Derp.

It is called an even playing field.  In Pay2Play (without cash shop) everybody pays for the same time and have the same advantages.  The only thing that seperates people in this case is skill and effort.  In Pay2Win, those that pay extra get more time/power than those who don't.  Then what seperates people in this case is skill, effort, and money spent.

Fundamentally changes the game and I refuse to play games that have it, plain and simple.  Hence this thread, as I want to know what MMOs if any will not have this pay2win cash shop model.  Looks bleak apparently, but I am patient and will wait for one.  There are many other games out there to play without putting up with this latest fad in MMO gaming.

Why should some punk kid have an advantage over me just because he has no job and therefore has more time to grind out more gold and therefore can enchant his gear better than me? It is not skill and it is very little effort. It is just time. What if my kid were to send me a thousand gold every week because he felt sorry for me having to work to keep our family of the rain and he didn't want me to fall behind? What If I were so pleased with that deal I payed for his sub. Now we are essentially trading $15 for 4000 gold in game. Would it be so much different if I payed someone elses kid a $15 30day game card for 4000gold?  

Sounds to me like people are sore because they want their advantage to continue being the only advantage.

Because you are supposed to be a grown-up.  Like any normal adult, you have more responsabilities now that you are no longer a child nor a teenager. You have to accept that you are no longer young and the consequences and joy that comes with that; you cannot be pathetic enough to complain about teenagers and children having so much time to spare. 

Let children be children and teenagers be teenagers, without perverting their games. 

Why exactly are you so set on a game forcing you to spend lots of time to simply participate in it in a normal way, rather than letting people have a choice? there are lots of games like that, go play one rather than demand that every game be marketed directly to you and your preferences.

LOL which upcoming games?  That was the original question of this thread!  Which upcoming games don't have this type of cash shop.  The fact is, it looks like not many if any.  So you win I guess.  MMOs are now allowing factors besides skill and effort to determine success.  Bad for me, good for you.  Congrats...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by flup

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by flup

correct me if im wrong. Gold will only buy you gear that looks differently from the gear any lvl 80 can get by spending a few hours in DE and dungeons right?

Gold will only buy you gear that is up for sale in the marketplace or from another player.

So, you cant buy gear that is better than what other players are using. Then why the whole "OMG you can get rich ni gold buy bying gems!!". Am i missing something?

Not at all. I'm in the same boat as you. :p

Seems people have forgotten all the mechanics GW2 has in place to prevent an over abundance of gold from being an advantage.

The thing is that not only "power in form of stronger stats" is important in games. Vanity is a big factor, specially in GW2 since they claim to have mostly get rid of the first form of power.  Since the marketplace just seems to be a huge fashion show, then what is of interest is to dicuss how much "vanity power" you can buy with gold. It looks currently like you can buy insanely lot of vanity power using real money and vanity will be far more important in GW2 than regular games. 

Woah woah wait a second.

You're not saying that purchasing cosmetic items is P2W are you?

Vanity items that are clearly purchases is not P2W.  For instance, some mount that everybody knows you purchased and didn't earn.

But vanity items that are very hard to obtain in game, such as winning 20 PVP matches in a row or something, if you allow somebody to buy this in cash shop it is pay2win.  Because that person can run around pretending he is the fashizzle when he isn't, and you can't prove otherwise.

PVP games are competetive, if you want to pretend otherwise then so be it.  I don't think somebody should be allowed to wear the helmet of "I pwned you" without actually pwning you LOL

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by gu357u53r

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well you are completely wrong about GW2, there is nothing pay-to-win about their cash shop so it looks like you have a very distorted idea what pay-to-win actually is.

If there is no pay to win items why even have it at all?  They could just save the created content to release in future expansions to stimulate players interest.  This is assuming they will have expansions, either way it's going to be a cash shop or expansions.  I guess not a bad thing if you look at it this way.  If however it is cash shop and expansions I won't buy into it.

Character slots, constumes, etc as well.

There's nothing in there, nothing at all, that provides any buffs that you can use in PvP btw.

Not in structured PvP, but I don't see what's stopping you from selling cash shop gems for gold and then using that gold to buy things for or in WvW.

Other than blueprints, what could you use that gold for in WvW?

Keep upgrades and items that make your character personally more powerful ;).

Also, I would like to bring up that we really don't know how much these blueprints and keep upgrades will cost.  If they cost A LOT of gold, then buying gold for cash may actually give an advantage.

Keep upgrades are paid for with supply and items that make your character more powerful can be acquired by anybody just playing the game.

I thought you would have known this Creslin.

I do know...

They are paid for with supply AND GOLD.  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structural_upgrade

The question is HOW MUCH GOLD?  If it only costs a moderate amount of gold for a structural upgrade (say, 30 mins of grinding for a level 80), then it's probably not a big deal.  But if it costs a LARGE amount of gold, then yes, it's a big deal.

So basically there's little point theory crafting further till we know how much it costs then. :p

If I may ask why is it a big deal though? If you can't afford the upgrade someone else on your server might be able to. On the other side of the coin, are you likely to care if someone initiates a keep upgrade whilst you are hammering on the keeps doors. Even if they do, there is still the supply requirement and time to completion. Without those, that extra gold is useless.

To your first sentence, pretty much yes.  I was just bringing it up as a possibe advantage in WvW.

As to paragraph 2, I don't think it works that simply.  You are assuming that the server is working together in perfect harmony, this isn't the way it will work though.  If you have 3000 people that each have 100 gold, they may not want to part with it to upgrade a keep because it's all they have.  But if you have 1 person with 300,000 gold, he will probably be more than willing to blow it on a keep because he has no much.

Now those 3000 people with 100 gold are probably more likely to spend it on gems (something that directly benefits them) than they are on keep upgrades (something that benefits their server, but not them personally).  This provides a mechanism for the WvW minded player to pay real cash for massive amounts of gold.

I think I get what you are saying. Basically if the cost is too high, no one is likely to spend that gold if that is all they have, whereas someone who acquired lots of gold by purchasing gems (with rl money) is more likely to do so cause he/she has the moolah to burn.

Fair enough. However I still don't see how that is an advantage. :)

If someone initiates the upgrade for the keep for me I'm happy. I'm not going to care how they acquired that money. For my part, all I care about is that this keep I'm protecting has upgrades currently on the go and I need to make sure we get enough supply for the upgrades to complete.

If someone on the enemy team initiates an upgrade to his keep. I'm not going to care, as it's not going to stop me from rolling up with 50 other people from my server, setting up some trebuchets, knocking down the walls and cutting their supply lines.

Again, it's a fair point you are making but it seems to me that it links more towards just balancing the prices so that anyone can have a go at upgrading keeps, rather than an explicit advantage attained by getting gold through selling gems.

Yeah, you have a fair point too.  In actuality, I don't think that the CS is going to cause a huge issue with imbalance in WvW...but the possibility is there.

Really, my concern is just that I feel like allowing people to "buy" gold with real money is a bit of a can of worms.  Given all the vast amount of things that can be purchased with gold...I just don't see how a player couldn't gain some kind of advantage here.  It's almost impossible to talk about without details, but I would be VERY surprised if you couldn't buy some kind of advantage with gold in GW2 just like any other MMORPG.  And if you can buy something with gold, you can buy it with real money.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Bingo.  And this violates rule #1 in PVP gaming (in my opinion).  Advantage should only be gained by skill (e.g., intelligence, twitch, strategy, etc) and in-game effort (e.g., killing lots of things, helping lots of people, achieving lots of goals, etc).  Once you add in "buying small advantages with real life money" it becomes no longer an honest PVP game in my opinion.

Kind of amusing, GW2 is one of the very very few games that is designed from the ground up to offer a completely level skill based PvP environment, ironice really.

Originally posted by Gorilla

Bingo.  And this violates rule #1 in PVP gaming (in my opinion).  Advantage should only be gained by skill (e.g., intelligence, twitch, strategy, etc) and in-game effort (e.g., killing lots of things, helping lots of people, achieving lots of goals, etc).  Once you add in "buying small advantages with real life money" it becomes no longer an honest PVP game in my opinion.

Kind of amusing, GW2 is one of the very very few games that is designed from the ground up to offer a completely level skill based PvP environment, ironice really.

Yes, it was built this way until a few weeks ago, when they changed the philosophy of their cash shop.  Very ironic I agree...

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

139 replies... Way to take the bait MMORPG.com. You make me proud.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

139 replies, and only about 10 or so trying to answer the original question.  The rest were either defending the cash shop concept or piling on with my opinion of not liking them.

To boil down the responses answering my question:

1) Very few upcoming MMOs won't have the pay2win type cash shop.  Darkfall 2.0 supposedly won't and Archeage might not

2) A great idea was posted about possibly creating non-cash shop servers that charged a higher subscription rate.  I love this idea but no games really do this yet, but my hope is they will someday...

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

(Quotes)

I wasn't actually complaining about people having more time to play than me but illustrating the ridiculousness of complaining about these things from the other side of it. Me complaining about a jobless kid's advantage is as stupid as the complaints of those kids about those who can buy some time advantage in the game with real world money.

And when you have raise your kids to the point where they have their own then you can tell me to grow up. I spend my free time doing what I find interesting and I like having the choice to spend a little cash in game so I can play the endgame without having to waste hours and days farming gold and mats for consumables  when I could  spend those days with my grandkids.

No, it isn't as stupid. Well maybe it is depending on where you live. I grew up in a society where I had in many ways equal possibilties to compete with those of my age, no matter how poor or wealthy their parents were.  I grew up to a gaming culture where the games cost you a one-time fee and where the worst available form of money-grabbing available was "having almost identical sequels". I grew up with the paradigm  that once you are inside a game, the only way you can progress is by doings things inside the game.

I had a wonderful childhood and it is saddens me that in a few generations the gaming aspect of it will just be a memory.  Much like the opinion that one ought to preserve the nature for future generations, I wish that we preserved the positive aspects of gaming for future generations as well. At least society-wise things are still good. 

Day 1 DLCs and beyond-cosmetic item mall in P2P/B2P are not good signs at all.

------

Comment about "participating ": if  it was about "letting people have a choice"; they would not charge for those speed-up items. There is a strong reason to believe that they are simply introduced for the sake of the money they can make through them.  You should be able to enjoy yourself even if you play few hours, but that doesn't mean that you should be able to skip "boring parts", those boring parts shouldn't be there in the first place. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Originally posted by fenistil

Dominus

Salem

AA

TSW

All those shouldn't have CS.

It IS confirmed that TSW WILL have CS.

and is not Salem gonna be F2P game? That would imply cash shop...

Wait I missed that somewhere.

TSW has a GS. I guess that is off my radar now.

Salem I thought was going to be P2P but not enough info on it yet. Maybe it will have a cash shop.

No worries - forum is for gathering info also :)

Not sure on Salem , I think I just heard that somewhere. But don't hold me one that.

TSW is P2P WITH Cash shop that's confirmed.

(Quotes)

...I grew up with the paradigm  that once you are inside a game, the only way you can progress is by doings things inside the game....

...Day 1 DLCs and beyond-cosmetic item mall in P2P/B2P are not good signs at all....

Agree 100% with these points.  And when I grew up there wasn't even an internet to get all the answers from either!  Thinking, skill, and effort are fast going by the wayside.

Now it is pay for the best stuff, pay to get to max level quicker, google a puzzle answer, google theoretical builds, etc.

I still have hope for the future though, I think many humans have an instinct about fair play and it isn't just a generational thing...

Originally posted by Quirhid

139 replies, and only about 10 or so trying to answer the original question.  The rest were either defending the cash shop concept or piling on with my opinion of not liking them.

To boil down the responses answering my question:

1) Very few upcoming MMOs won't have the pay2win type cash shop.  Darkfall 2.0 supposedly won't and Archeage might not

2) A great idea was posted about possibly creating non-cash shop servers that charged a higher subscription rate.  I love this idea but no games really do this yet, but my hope is they will someday...

In answer to your original question then. GW2 is an upcoming MMO without a Pay2Win cash shop.

Well, if you actually read the first post you would know GW2 has a pay2win cash shop by MY definition.  I was asking for games without the pay2win cash shop by MY definition not your definition.

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

Winning is subjected.

My belief is if in PVP you have no statical bonus but just look better that is fine. PVE is the part game I will play with my guild who are all friends and family members so if others buy exp/karma boost I am totally ok with it as it won't affect me or my friends.

So I don't think it is p2w

Someone feels paying money to have the same armor that might be awarding for owning in PVP.  That is perfectly fine.

Someone wants everyone to always have the same amount of exp gain at all times. That is their opinion and view of p2w.

Could go on forever with examples.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

After reading a couple of OPs replys, i can conclude that he assumes that GW2 will have some CS items that give the PvP or W v W advantages, which is not a case. WHOLE ITEM SHOP remained separated from any form of PvP. Wearing "i pwn you" hat is PvP advantage huh? Havent seen those.

Considering W v W, i find some articles of how can Gold impact the courses of battles. The thing is, that prices for influences/boosts/upgrades will be that trivial, so that literally everyone who plays W v W can pay gold for them. Now, the supplies will be main currency that will have point in winning W v W, yet I didnt saw anything that boost them in CS.

I will find link as soon as i can to back this up

Now on topic: you can still wait on TSW, yet i wouldnt hold my breath for that one if i were you...

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Dominus

Salem

AA

TSW

Salem I thought was going to be P2P but not enough info on it yet. Maybe it will have a cash shop.

Not sure on Salem , I think I just heard that somewhere. But don't hold me one that.

http://wiki.aodb.us/wiki/Funcom_Points

last time i checked AO ,situation was "enough isnt enough for me" pretty much everything is for sale.

TSW will have Funcom points ,but maybe they learned their lesson or maybe not.

Let's internet

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I have said it before...it would be so much easier just to go subscription than to go through this crap!! Months ago it was no subscription, I told all my friends that!  Now Anet reinvented  b2p. I'm a huge fan but just feel let down. Yes I can go without buying gems but now its a major part of the non-subscription game play I will more than likely have to to keep up.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Originally posted by Amjoco

I have said it before...it would be so much easier just to go subscription than to go through this crap!! Months ago it was no subscription, I told all my friends that!  Now Anet reinvented  b2p. I'm a huge fan but just feel let down. Yes I can go without buying gems but now its a major part of the non-subscription game play I will more than likely have to to keep up.

It all depends on point of your views as subscription. You still have the option to buy a sub-time worthy of gems, if you desire so, but you and the rest need to remember one thing: You are in no way limited to any part of the game content without paying/buying gems. While in sub-based MMORPG you are prohibited from 100% of content if you dont spend that 15$ or whatever the sub price is (or the large part of content in case of F2Pones).

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Here is how a friend made me think about this B2P thing wsith GW2.

There is no subscription fee. So, that 15 bucks a month that would be spent on game? For a month or two, stick it in the cash shop of gw2, and sell your gems. that'll put you on pretty even ground with everyone else's wallet. Then, after you have a nice pile of cash, ignore the cash shop and just play the game. If you want some cosmetics after that, then toss a few bucks to get what you want.

It's STILL cheaper in the long run than paying for a subscription, and you STILL decide WHAT and WHEN you spend your money on.

Hope thaty helps.

TL:DR

Treat it like a subscription game(which you are looking for anyway OP) and you'll never be at a disadvantage

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Toxia

Here is how a friend made me think about this B2P thing wsith GW2.

There is no subscription fee. So, that 15 bucks a month that would be spent on game? For a month or two, stick it in the cash shop of gw2, and sell your gems. that'll put you on pretty even ground with everyone else's wallet. Then, after you have a nice pile of cash, ignore the cash shop and just play the game. If you want some cosmetics after that, then toss a few bucks to get what you want.

It's STILL cheaper in the long run than paying for a subscription, and you STILL decide WHAT and WHEN you spend your money on.

Hope thaty helps.

TL:DR

Treat it like a subscription game(which you are looking for anyway OP) and you'll never be at a disadvantage

Thats a very pragmatic view and I respect it, but a couple issues with that:

1) I'd be pretending a bit and compromising my PVP principles.  Yes, I have PVP principles!

2) We don't know the ongoing "non-grindy" gold aquisition rate versus the typical gold-bleeding rate.  If the natural gold-bleeding rate is higher than the natural gold-aquisition rate, it will be a long-term advantage to keep paying2win not just the first 2 months.  And I'm talking about the confirmed advantages for instance you can get in RvRvR (which to me was the main draw of the game was RvRvR).  This is all just too unclear for me to reward them with a box purchase.

3) Anet is already near the bottom of the slippery slope on pay2win and who says they won't go further down the pay2win path after the initial box sales are done.  I don't want to reward them with my money for a game philosophy I disagree with...

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by ForumPvP

Dominus

Salem

AA

TSW

http://wiki.aodb.us/wiki/Funcom_Points

last time i checked AO ,situation was "enough isnt enough for me" pretty much everything is for sale.

TSW will have Funcom points ,but maybe they learned their lesson or maybe not.

They've stated that they are happy with AO and AoC and their microtransactions so I doubt it.

They will start relatively light but will expand constantly CS in TSW that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.