Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera requires 30gb space to finish install...WTF

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Sephiroso

Well, my outrage of Tera seems to be one that the is of my own perception. This is the first game i've ever played thats been this big. Not Rift, not WoW, not FFXI, no others were even close. I guess its cause i dont really play that many AAA p2p/b2p titles so maybe thats why. And this really is the norm.

Regardless, as i said in my first post," Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game"

i'm just upset(minorly so, its not like in in ra3g mode or anything) that i cant put it on my ssd, i like having my games on my ssd but this one just cant fit, i might just buy a bigger one and sell off my 64gb one, ah well.

I'm sorry but i find this to be stupid reason to be upset over  game about. Its your own problem that you can't fit Tera on you rssd. Not Tera's fault. Seriously if your computer only has 64giges you need an upgrade. First and formest playing games always required the best pc. The most expansive and best computer are used to run games, even programers and engineers don't need over kill PC like gamer do. So a game staying relevent and and requireing you to at least keep up with tech isn't really that rare speically when its asking you to keep up with disk space which by far is the CHEAPEST thing to keep up in consider how cheap they become over teh past few  years.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by kileak

i'm just upset(minorly so, its not like in in ra3g mode or anything) that i cant put it on my ssd, i like having my games on my ssd but this one just cant fit, i might just buy a bigger one and sell off my 64gb one, ah well.

depending on your system you might just want to keep only the os ont he small 64gig ssd and put your high end games on the new one if your gonna go that route. that would remove almost all bottlenecks regarding file access on your games. after that it's all cpu and then gpu, well it's more likely cpu>gpu>hd for tera, unsure where ram falls in line. and if you do have a large storage drive for other stuff can just save your money and just install tera there. i dont think your going to see any real performance hit with this game on a standard drive.

Agreed, or he could get 2 more 64 gB drives of the same type and raid them. That would also give him 128 GB only but it would be faster and with a parity drive.

Raiding SSDs isn't as much faster as raiding SATA drives but it is an improvement still and the parity drive is really a blessing if something happens. just throw out the broken drive and in with a new with no data loss, and any corrupted file can be fixed.

I am talking about raid 5 here, if your motherboard wont support it you would also need a raid card (not very expensive).

• LolusLolus Member UncommonPosts: 29

It's not that big

TERA Beta=23.6GB

WoW fully updated=22.4GB

WoW MoP Beta=17.4 GB

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Ok...in all my gaming years, i've never....even conceieved of one SINGLE game taking up so much goddamn space. I can't remember how much WoW took up, but it was not just one single game. It was a game, + 3 expansions(i stopped at wotlk).

Hell not even SKYRIM takes up 10gig, so what the HELL. This game is still in freaking beta, not even after-release patches/updates/expansions, and its already taking 30gigs? Am i really the only one freaking out over this?

Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game. I can easily fit it on my 2tb drive but fuck, i wanted all my games to go on my ssd and before this i had no problem. Sure i had to delete a game i hadnt played in 3 weeks to install skyrim, but hey, no big deal.

After clearing everything i could without breaking shit, i still need almost 20 freaking gigs to install this crap. Thats insane.

i don't mind how big they get. the bigger they are, hopefully the more content and variation of content. that'd be the general thought. i mean, you'd hope you get some bang for your gigs.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

lol people will complain about ANYTHING now-a-days.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

I don't know about how big it is, but have been downloading it for several hours now and it seems to just be going slower and slower. Rioght now it says it will take 2d 9h to install, so at this rate the beta this weekend will be over before its done.

And no, I don't have bad internet, Verizon FIOS 20/5 connection, guess everyone is just trying to get it installed tonight before the beta begins.

Well, perhaps it will speed up later as the evening goes on, we'll see in the morning.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

installling is purely based on your  computer not your internet. DLing part is based of your interenet, if its saying it take 2d than its your dl XD might be because everyone trying to dl it at the same time XD

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

My install with patch is 23.9 gb.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Well, my outrage of Tera seems to be one that the is of my own perception. This is the first game i've ever played thats been this big. Not Rift, not WoW, not FFXI, no others were even close. I guess its cause i dont really play that many AAA p2p/b2p titles so maybe thats why. And this really is the norm.

Regardless, as i said in my first post," Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game"

I'm sorry but i find this to be stupid reason to be upset over  game about. Its your own problem that you can't fit Tera on you rssd. Not Tera's fault. Seriously if your computer only has 64giges you need an upgrade. First and formest playing games always required the best pc. The most expansive and best computer are used to run games, even programers and engineers don't need over kill PC like gamer do. So a game staying relevent and and requireing you to at least keep up with tech isn't really that rare speically when its asking you to keep up with disk space which by far is the CHEAPEST thing to keep up in consider how cheap they become over teh past few  years.

first off, the main reason people even get ssd is for 1. their operating system and 2. to put w/e games/songs/videos/etc that they use the most. they'll have a secondary, usually hdd to take the rest of their crap. that being said, i guess i cant really fault you to much since i never did say that i did have a 2tb hdd but still, it should have been obvious, who the hell runs a computer system with ONLY 64gb nowadays?

secondly, i admitted my err in judgement in the post you quoted by saying it was apparently a perception of my own. tbh i've skipped all the recent AAA titles and so didnt know about the rising game file sizes. and fyi, ssd aint cheap. not that im saying its necessary either, obviously hdd's are cheap as fuck, but that's not in the scope of what my rant was about.

lastly, trust me, my gaming system is more than enough to handle tera, its just i wasn't expecting the game size to be so big, which just means i'll need to get a bigger ssd which isnt a problem, or like someone else said, keep it and just get a second one, but i think i'll probably just end up getting a bigger one just for simplicity's sake.

Originally posted by Nevulus

lol people will complain about ANYTHING now-a-days.

my rant may have come off a bit more ranty than i had originally meant it to be. im not mad or upset at all with tera and this will in no way detract me from trying it out in beta starting tommorrow when it opens.

this is the internet, you cant hear someone typing so can't be sure if they're mostly kidding but semi serious or if they're stirfry crazy.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Kyleran

I don't know about how big it is, but have been downloading it for several hours now and it seems to just be going slower and slower. Rioght now it says it will take 2d 9h to install, so at this rate the beta this weekend will be over before its done.

And no, I don't have bad internet, Verizon FIOS 20/5 connection, guess everyone is just trying to get it installed tonight before the beta begins.

Well, perhaps it will speed up later as the evening goes on, we'll see in the morning.

Go to launcher setting and turn off P2P sharing and make sure you are not being capped.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Sorry wrong, didnt read all :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Hell not even SKYRIM takes up 10gig, so what the HELL. This game is still in freaking beta, not even after-release patches/updates/expansions, and its already taking 30gigs? Am i really the only one freaking out over this?

Guild Wars2 wants 25 gig

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Sovrath

With full lv60 content the client will be around 34-35gb (as viewed from my Ktera client).

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• lonexilesoullonexilesoul Member Posts: 15

Installed game size is almost as installers.

And because they are in 1 folder (main, game) = double size.

So just delete install folder from game folder (this one with archives).

I dont had 30 gb on my main SSD, so when progress stoped with error "No space.." just deleted one by one install archives, and installed successfull game.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The main reason I didn't install an SSD drive on my gaming rig was because I calculated that I need the 250GB+ models to fit in everything I usually play. Those things still not worth the cost yet (imho). Even for my work computer I purchased an 120GB drive and I still have a backup normal hard drive (like the OP). SSDs are still not big enough to complement a decent modern game library (especially when you buy exclusively digital like I do).

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Sovrath

With full lv60 content the client will be around 34-35gb (as viewed from my Ktera client).

You sure that you don't have a ton of screenshots saved? When you hit "prntscreen" TERA saves a .png(large image file) screenshot in a folder located in the general TERA folder.

I had heard the client would only be 30gigs or so on launch, 35 seems pretty huge.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

oh my god!!1

games grow bigger , exceptions are higher and technology evolve and SO is size of a game.

you as gamer shouldnt have small hardrives now anyways everyone mostly have 1TB atleast 

so whats the problem really? just another tearless cry around one game.

huzzzzzahh!

• OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78

Random troll to put TERA down ? To be honest any gaming computer has at least 500 Gb of storage nowadays, so unless you install 45 games and download 4892904 movies... no need to cry for 30 Gb

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by m0lly

oh my god!!1

games grow bigger , exceptions are higher and technology evolve and SO is size of a game.

you as gamer shouldnt have small hardrives now anyways everyone mostly have 1TB atleast 

huzzzzzahh!

umm ..  SSDs are still pretty small. So, having huge games to be able to run faster off SSD could be an issue. Do people even think before responding to criticism anymore?

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

what's gonna be next?  bitching about the colours of the client launcher?

Roll Eyes!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Vanguard is 20.

DCUO is 20.

Everquest (all but Veil) is 9.

WoW (all but MoP) is 29. (I may have some old files, this is from original Vanilla patched forward)

Rift is 10 (but I haven't updated in a while).

Eve is 10.

AOC is 31.

SWTOR is 20.

LOTRO is 15.

I show 23.6 for TERA, with the patch from today.
    It's big, but in the ballpark.

Yes, SSD's are pricey. Sorry.

Some other miscellaneous data
    Windows 8 64bit clean install is 11
    Windows 7 SP1 64bit (not clean, so may have some junk) is 23
    Need to have room for temp files and caches (5G or so is usually enough), swap space (150% of installed RAM), and always try to keep 10% free. I usually say 40G for the OS and all that stuff, and anything over that is good for apps/programs.

Your 64G SSD isn't wasted, it holds the OS fine. It's just going to be a really, really tight fit. I would get another SSD - while RAID isn't a bad idea, I wouldn't RAID it, I would just install it and make it your E: drive or whatever your third drive is, and just install TERA (and any new games you get) there. RAID is all well and good, but it makes it harder to pop the drives out and put them in another computer. On seperate drives, when you upgrade computers or whatever, you just pop the drive out and pop it back in.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i dont know why all the surprise at the client size, comparing to skyrim too, which probably had to be kept small in order for it to work on consoles, but, with PC games there arent such limitations, it wouldnt surprise me that in another 5 years, average installation of a AAA type of game is around 100 gb, HD space is cheap after all, and drives are now often sized by the TB. image

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

My LOTRO which is up to date 15 16gig  but it has multible expansions , 30gig is either poor programing or ever word on the game is spoken with full speach ..

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Ok...in all my gaming years, i've never....even conceieved of one SINGLE game taking up so much goddamn space. I can't remember how much WoW took up, but it was not just one single game. It was a game, + 3 expansions(i stopped at wotlk).

Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game. I can easily fit it on my 2tb drive but fuck, i wanted all my games to go on my ssd and before this i had no problem. Sure i had to delete a game i hadnt played in 3 weeks to install skyrim, but hey, no big deal.

After clearing everything i could without breaking shit, i still need almost 20 freaking gigs to install this crap. Thats insane.

everyone knows the minimum size of a decent ssd is 120 gigs (os + games + 25% open space to keep it healthy)

120 gig and higher space ssds run circles around the small ones, and cost the same or are cheaper per gigabyte.

man up and buy a real hard drive son.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by m0lly

oh my god!!1

huzzzzzahh!

umm ..  SSDs are still pretty small. So, having huge games to be able to run faster off SSD could be an issue. Do people even think before responding to criticism anymore?

no, its the style of this forum. and yet ssd's were not what op was saying only size.

This discussion has been closed.