Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you pa $50 a month for an MMO?

Comments

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

More then $30 a month I'm quiting this genre for ever, I'm paying now and for the last 3 years $30 since I keep 2 mmorpgs active at a time.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Sorrow

In this world, the way things have become, this is a very dangerous post.

We live in an age where ethics, in any form, has become egrigious. Corruption, greed, and intolerance has become the motto not only of our nation, but of the world as a whole.

Most people do not understand just how close we actually stand to a return to slavery, to a world of lords and serfs, debtors prison, and a return to indentured servitude.

When we as a society not only accept, but begin to suggest seperationism within the mundane aspects of life, we are placing the collars around our own necks, the chains about our own feet.

Each time we as a society say its ok for those of us that have to demand better, different than those of us who have not, we add one more brick to the wall between us.

They are so close, make the decision to stand against them not with them.

This post is golden. Bravo.

It's definitely made me reevaluate my reasoning.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

This is the cost of a cell phone bill without a data plan.

What about,

$15 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

But if you wanna stick with your $50,

then, no.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

We live in an age where ethics, in any form, has become egrigious. Corruption, greed, and intolerance has become the motto not only of our nation, but of the world as a whole.

Most people do not understand just how close we actually stand to a return to slavery, to a world of lords and serfs, debtors prison, and a return to indentured servitude.

When we as a society not only accept, but begin to suggest seperationism within the mundane aspects of life, we are placing the collars around our own necks, the chains about our own feet.

Each time we as a society say its ok for those of us that have to demand better, different than those of us who have not, we add one more brick to the wall between us.

So someone who enjoys harder than the average games. Someone who played the old school MMOs and like the superior gameplay and challenge they offered are not allowed to have a game for their type of gameplay.

When you group everyone as the same you are in the wrong. There is nothing wrong with seeing that people are different than you or me.

I only want one good MMORPG and I will pay $50/mo for that game. I have no desire to get rid of current MMOs but I do not play them any longer because they are to easy for me.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by bossalinie

Do anyone of you guys do anything other than MMO and going out drinking? Because clearly that's the only form of entertainment being used here.

Well, I go to theater regularly and those tickets can be anywhere from $25 per ticket up to $90 per ticket. I also go to a lot of modern dance performances that are more akin to very physical feats of dexterity and strength than art.

I go to the science and and Museum of fine arts a few times per year and the the modern art museums about twice per year.

Some concerts but I went to so many of those in college (classical, jazz, some rock/popular music) that I only go when I want to see something exceptional.

And of course, the regular "going to the movies" both popular and art house movies.

Hope that helps.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Absolutely, but it would have to be perfect as others have said. The land mass would need to be as large as the real world, and it would have to have so many features and be a "world" not just a game.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

No...thats just to much. I could never see why a developer would require that big of a monthly payment for a MMO.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by Thorbrand

So someone who enjoys harder than the average games. Someone who played the old school MMOs and like the superior gameplay and challenge they offered are not allowed to have a game for their type of gameplay.

When you group everyone as the same you are in the wrong. There is nothing wrong with seeing that people are different than you or me.

I only want one good MMORPG and I will pay $50/mo for that game. I have no desire to get rid of current MMOs but I do not play them any longer because they are to easy for me.

I played them and keep hoping for a remake of an old school mmo myself. That is not the point here. The point is why set a price point that would exclude the 90% ? Why can we not just ask for the game we want, and the service we were promised at the price they originally gave us?

Not only that your own argument works against the very math of the problem you present.

Say there are 100 potential cogs

100% @ $15 a month  = $1500

or

10% @ $50 a month = $500

With the $1500 you can make a subpar game with crappy CS, with the $500 you have to make a perfect game with outstanding CS....

See the point?

I'm sorry sorrow I can't actually agree with your post.

If you actually look at history you will see that humanity has always been full of corruption, greed, intolerance and has always had slavery in some form.

If anything we live in a time where we actually ask ourselves "is this wrong and if so what can we do to stop it".

Remember, there are times in human history that these questions were not asked and where societies would comport themselves in a manner that today would be considered horrible.

We've come a long way and we still have a very long way to go. It's baby steps, two steps forward, one step back and a constant shifting in the perception of who we are.

There have always been egregious acts, we aren't going backward so much as fumbling forward with setbacks.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Sheep are sheep, even if those sheep claim to be blacker than most, they are still in fact...sheep.

And in this day and age, when everyone claims to be a black sheep, that in fact becomes the norm and once again they are placed back into the herd of sheep.

Stop being sheep people, even when you think you aren't, you still are...

By offering the idea that companies can take more money from you, you are offering up the idea that they are able to take more money, stop that!

Here Mr. Capitalist company, I am fine with giving you more money, why you ask? Well, because I just want to!

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Knowing myself I'd play a game that cool every day for, say, 4 hours averagely (at times when I'm single :P),  i.e. 50 bucks / 120 hours a month = 0.42 cts. an hour. Not too shabby for top entertainment and beats the crap out of the cinema to name one other source of entertainment.

So yeah, I would, but it has to be my perfect dream mmo:

Content written for a mature audience, sandboxy, hugely immersive, extensive solo and group endgame options, meaningful world pvp, crazy character customization freedom, VAST itemization, player killing with consequences, pretty harsh death penalties (but not too harsh), top graphics, top client performance, top support, absurdly extensive crafting and building, territory claimage and wars, huge seamless open world, constant random events in the gameworld, weekly GM hosted events, multi-player vehicles + vehicle combat in addition to character combat, preferably sci-fi or post-apoc.

So yeah, pretty much a ground based EVE 2.0 is what I'd pay that for. We might see a game like that in 2020. I hope I'll live to play it.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by bossalinie

Do anyone of you guys do anything other than MMO and going out drinking? Because clearly that's the only form of entertainment being used here.

I don't think most of the people on this site even play MMOs anymore. Everyone is waiting for some mythical "AAA" game that would change the MMO world!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Never.  Then again, I wouldn't pay even a dollar a month for a game I paid for already.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

I agree more with the greeks...it is not a straight line progression, but a circle.  Soon we will be back to anarchy and despotism.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

There is NO way I am going to pay for a game, then pay for the privilage of playing it.   There is no game that is that good and never will be.

Originally posted by agnostic4eve

Sheep are sheep, even if those sheep claim to be blacker than most, they are still in fact...sheep.

And in this day and age, when everyone claims to be a black sheep, that in fact becomes the norm and once again they are placed back into the herd of sheep.

Stop being sheep people, even when you think you aren't, you still are...

By offering the idea that companies can take more money from you, you are offering up the idea that they are able to take more money, stop that!

Here Mr. Capitalist company, I am fine with giving you more money, why you ask? Well, because I just want to!

well, that's great. I'll introduce you to my friends who think that any paying for video games is a comple waste of money and that every time you are playing a video game you could actually be doing something else that is far better.

Some of them might even roll their eyes and say that you and I are "sheep" for playing these games.

All of this has to be put into perspective. For instance, are you the type of person who might have more than one subscritption? Let's say you have three. I know for  myself I could have three going at once.

well, add that up at 15.99 per month and that's just about that 50.00.

And if that 50.00 game was actually so incredible, had the greatest customer service, had live events all the time, etc. then spending that 50.00 in one place instead of spending it over several games might be worth it.

Still, when i say "incredible game" I'm talking about the game in my head. No mmo has ever come close.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by Sovrath

If you actually look at history you will see that humanity has always been full of corruption, greed, intolerance and has always had slavery in some form.

If anything we live in a time where we actually ask ourselves "is this wrong and if so what can we do to stop it".

Remember, there are times in human history that these questions were not asked and where societies would comport themselves in a manner that today would be considered horrible.

We've come a long way and we still have a very long way to go. It's baby steps, two steps forward, one step back and a constant shifting in the perception of who we are.

There have always been egregious acts, we aren't going backward so much as fumbling forward with setbacks.

There is a difference between then and now, mainly God(s). Religion played a larger role in the everyday lives of almost every human being on the face of the earth in one way or another. We lived shorter, more violent lives, which in turn placed a higher value upon our afterlives, and there in turn our immortal souls. We had morality, even the worst that hummanity had to offer had codes of conduct, ethics.

Now we live longer, we have less faith in God(s), less thought of the afterlife, our souls, our morality. Now ethics no longer exsist, there are no rules, no codes of conduct.

Then we had leaders that led by the grace of God for the betterment of thier people, now we have leaders that feel their people live for the  betterment of  the leaders, and the only God involved is the one mentioned on the back of the money.

Then evil was the nature of some men, now evil is a percise and exact effort by a large and powerful organized faction.

There is a difference my friend, a dangerous scary difference.

• impacted1impacted1 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by kzaske

There is NO way I am going to pay for a game, then pay for the privilage of playing it.   There is no game that is that good and never will be.

This is just ignorant.

P2P games aren't sub based for the PRIVILAGE. They have to pay for the servers, maintenance, staff, content, etc.. You're paying so the game continues to make money so they can continue their business to keep the game going.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

rofl no....

There is a difference between then and now, mainly God(s). Religion played a larger role in the everyday lives of almost every human being on the face of the earth in one way or another. We lived shorter, more violent lives, which in turn placed a higher value upon our afterlives, and there in turn our immortal souls. We had morality, even the worst that hummanity had to offer had codes of conduct, ethics.

Now we live longer, we have less faith in God(s), less thought of the afterlife, our souls, our morality. Now ethics no longer exsist, there are no rules, no codes of conduct.

Then we had leaders that led by the grace of God for the betterment of thier people, now we have leaders that feel their people live for the  betterment of  the leaders, and the only God involved is the one mentioned on the back of the money.

Then evil was the nature of some men, now evil is a percise and exact effort by a large and powerful organized faction.

So back when we had gods there was more slavery, no real concern over racism, wars were fought for resources at the drop of a dime, women subjugated, etc but now that we are in the modern world we actually have organizations that fight for human rights, slavery is now a talked about and reviled subject and there are organizations dedicated to wiping it out, women have more rights in many countries, we have less wars (but countries still look for reasons to start them don't they?) and the idea of protecting human rights is, at least on a fundamentla level, embraced if not always perfectly executed. No pun intended.

I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't hold up. I get what you are saying but humanity has always had it's cesspool moments and we are slowly trying to be "a little better".

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Originally posted by Riebesehl

It would have to be better than sex .(including foreplay)

What is foreplay ?

Anyway, there is no MMO currently released or in development which I would pay $50 a month for.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Back in the day I used to pay 500 - 700 quid (at the time that would have been $1000-$1500) on a quaterly phone bill to play online (MUDs) via modem. In those days (20 years ago give or take) that was worth something too. Of course it's a hypothetical question and of course the answer is yes but it's just never going to pan out like that. 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Sovrath

The topic is about sub fees to a video game.  What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

50 $?

No.

I could fork up to 25$ if that would mean no cash shop AT ALL (no vanity cash shop just null nothing nada) and game would be good.

50$? No that's just crazy talking.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

I probably would if I found myself playing it 80+ hours a month.