Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: The EVE Online Re-Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Adam Tingle has been playing EVE Online for a good long while and has plenty to say about a game that continues to outperform many of its more current competitors. See how EVE Online fares after all this time in our latest re-review. Leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Let's just get it out of the way - if I could, I would marry, buy a condo, and have children with Eve Online: It is just that damn sexy. With that said, let's get on with the formal make-out session I like to call a review.

Read more of Adam Tingle's EVE Online: The EVE Online Re-Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

You forgot to mention one critical point - EVE is pvp-centric. More specifically you can be attacked by other players anywhere. For an admitted care bear like me that is a game breaker. Yes, I do think that Eve deserves this score - it is a fantastic game. I enjoyed it for over 45 days. But after being ganked in 0.9 space twice I gave up. Yup I could not cut it. On to the next mmo.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

My son loves the game.  Me, not so much.  I just never could get into it primarily because of the ship movement and the combat.  They just felt kinda clunky.   I do really like to read about the game and think it serves a good niche for the sandbox crowd.

Also, I wonder if there will be those claiming that this good review was only given because of the advertising ccp does with mmorpg or if that claim is only used for bigger developers/publishers.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Has to be said,  Eve is an awesome game!

But just like chocolate.. there is only so much you can eat before you get sick of it lol

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Paid review!!! No game deserves a 9+. There is no way any game can achieve a state this close to perfection!

Oh wait, it's a sandbox. Nevermind, continue on.

Come on, it had to be done. image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

Wow, shameless EVE butt kissing.

But, even though I am currently a little annoyed at CCP, the review is fair; it is impossible for me to find another MMO that allows me to develop my own adventure as EVE.

While I acknowledge the benefits of co-operative play, my attraction to EVE is in fact on the wide range game play available to "solo" players and the possibility to dig in and explore the vast ammount of lore surounding the EVE universe. I have documented COMOS, epic arcs and worm hole space. I have managed to get my theories on unknown parts of the lore published within the game.

I have also learned that being an industrialist and explorer in the less secure parts of the EVE universe essentially puts you as a piece of meat on a stick in front of the lions mounth. But as long as you are able to keep a sticks distance you are safe, the rewards are yours and the frustration is on the lions part.

EDIT: We should have this What to do in EVE Online link here for those with difficulty seeing the possibilities.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

If they would only revamp the 0.0 mechanics to break up with the too static powerblobs :/

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

While I freely admit that EvE is the best MMORPG of its kind, this is a shameless review.

You could have more simply said - if you like PvP oriented hardcore sandboxes, EvE online is a 9+/10

Would have saved a lot of word space...

Well it IS 9 years old game from a developer that has, for the most part only ever worked on the same game!

Its the only sandbox game really that has succeeded, so you cant say "because its sandbox"

Its also the only mmo that always increases its subscriber base... all other mmo's decrease.

And its the only real sci-fi game that actually works

Soon it will be the only mmo that links up to another console game.

There are so many things about it which make it completly original,  apart from Wow, I cant think of any other mmo that comes close.  So yea, I think it deserves this score.

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

Yeah , I love eve, though that might be because there is literally nothing like it that comes close (Vendetta online and Perpetuum online were a lot of fun, but I just kept coming back to eve due to the extra 8 years worth of dev time)

It's very pvp and I love how it weeds out the [people that can't take it]

Planetside 2 might give it a run for its money though :)

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

EVE is currently the leading edge in the evolutionary chain of MMO's and gaming in general.

It is the longest game I have continuously subbed to, I spend extended periods of time playing other games but never leave EVE, there is always something more to be done, it truly never ends.

Unlike me however, CCP should do nothing else but EVE. ALL THE TIME.

• BandenBanden Member Posts: 83

I read "an inspired soundtrack" and I knew this re-rewiew wasnt going to be critical in anyway at all... I mean come on... I guess ill read the rest and bitch about it all late.

Originally posted by sadeyx

Planetside 2 might give it a run for its money though :)

PS2 will be a strong competitor for DUST, but i don't see it being an eve competitor.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I want to see a re-review of this game by someone who isn't such a "fan".  Someone new maybe or someone who has shown unbias in all thier reviews toward the games they play.

Personally...I'm tired of hearing about Eve.  I get it, it's awesome for those hardcore PVP sandboxers who like getting away with crimes in a virtual world that would have many on death row in real life.   Maybe if the game played like a game instead of wasting my time literally and making me click to move or filter through a menu system to fight/move THEN I might be a bit more forgiving.  

Although, don't get me wrong, I like the setting and atmosphere, just wish it was more accessible? I guess.  Maybe I'm just a huge PVE fan and this game doesn't tickle that part of the gamer in me.   What little PVE it has is mired in tedium and literally waiting for a skill to be learned.  That's just boring to me.  Would rather have an active skill system that I learn as I use.  Not how much time has passed.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by elocke

I want to see a re-review of this game by someone who isn't such a "fan".  Someone new maybe or someone who has shown unbias in all thier reviews toward the games they play.

Personally...I'm tired of hearing about Eve.  I get it, it's awesome for those hardcore PVP sandboxers who like getting away with crimes in a virtual world that would have many on death row in real life.   Maybe if the game played like a game instead of wasting my time literally and making me click to move or filter through a menu system to fight/move THEN I might be a bit more forgiving.  

Although, don't get me wrong, I like the setting and atmosphere, just wish it was more accessible? I guess.  Maybe I'm just a huge PVE fan and this game doesn't tickle that part of the gamer in me.   What little PVE it has is mired in tedium and literally waiting for a skill to be learned.  That's just boring to me.  Would rather have an active skill system that I learn as I use.  Not how much time has passed.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings on EvE too.

I love the idea of the game, hate the implementation.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Well, at least the review at NO point even pretended to be impartial. I stopped wasting my time after I finished the second paragraph. 

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by Banden

I read "an inspired soundtrack" and I knew this re-rewiew wasnt going to be critical in anyway at all... I mean come on... I guess ill read the rest and bitch about it all late.

Crying because of own taste of art isn't the same as the developers. Please. Use the build in mp3 player.

Game's original soundtrack fully downloadable - yes its actually worthwhile to download, because they're actually songs and not some midi-player random generator. What other games even come close?

http://community.eveonline.com/download/music/

I suggest also googling "EVE Unnofficial Soundtrack" for another carefully picked 22 songs that fit the original ST style.

Not only didn't the soundtrack (and a pile of dough) "inspire" this "band" to play its songs:

EVE Soundtrack performed by 16-string symphony orchestra.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/10/13/eve-soundtrack-performed-by-16-string-symphony-orchestra/

No other developement team is having their own band, and doing awesomeness like this:

Permaband - Harden The F*** Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvM7av1o1Q

Just another worthwhile link, inspired by EVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr48kZwR07E

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

Have you tried Vendetta online? Might be more up your alley.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Imo biased review, but then again I don't like EVE. Put someone like me at the wheel of a review and it would probably get a 6 tops (for effort). 

I tried the game. Twice. Once years ago and a few months back for a second time. However, the biggest problem I have with EVE; I don't want to fly around in a ship. I like my games character based, not vehicle based (that's actually the reason I re-tried it some time ago, because of the added avatar possibilities).

My 2nd big problem with EVE is the FFA PvP. I HATE HATE HATE HATE that. Did I mention I hate it?

Anyway, long story short; for the intended target audience, sure this game deserves that score.

For the average mmorpg player though; not even close!

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

EvE is a simulation and not an action-game. If you deal with this fact, then you might get EvE aswell.

EvE deserves a 9/10 rating as it's the only real MMORPG currently outthere, with a working economy. It's the only MMO where you, the players, create the stories.

You're provided with a crapload of tools in this game, and if you can't come up with any good ideas of how to use these tools adn have fun doing so, then it's not the fault of CCP but only your own.

People who like to be spoonfed, with pre-made lore and content are simply not the customers CCP is looking for, and usually these people moan about the open world PvP, the skill-system and the lack of PvE-content.
    I don't know why you complain, you can just go and play another game that suits you more.

EvE is one of the most succesful MMOs of all time and in addition one of the oldest aswell... even older then WoW. The fact alone that it turns 9 years old this summer, with still increasing subscriptions is telling alot.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

To all the people saying they don't like EVE: that's ok, you are not the intended player base. EVE is not a game that tries to please all people, there are many games that do.. play them.  I am a carebear mining and I feel that without the pvp the game would be boring, there would be no risk, no sense of danger.  I want that in a game. I want to know that hey I could die out there, lose my ship, have to start over.. etc. Unfortunately in the games I have played other than EVE that danger is not there unless there is  PvP on a world basis.  Shadowbane was  like it, clunky and laggy as it was.   In non pvp worlds where i have to fight the AI monsters - there is no danger.  4 mobs will be there, attack 1 and the others stand there... no sense of danger... for me.  The unpredictabilty of other players, never knowing who will attack you, that is the spice I, and those who play EVE regularly are looking for, imho.    

If you don't like it... fine but don't rate it low because it isn't what you like. Rate it on how ell it does what it does.  You guys are like movie critics rating movies on the basis of  is it an oscar winner?   They should rate horror movies as horror movies - how much did it scare you?  Same with games - ok, it's PvP - how well does it do that?   End of rant... and after all - just my opinion.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by ElderRat

To all the people saying they don't like EVE: that's ok, you are not the intended player base. EVE is not a game that tries to please all people, there are many games that do.. play them.  I am a carebear mining and I feel that without the pvp the game would be boring, there would be no risk, no sense of danger.  I want that in a game. I want to know that hey I could die out there, lose my ship, have to start over.. etc. Unfortunately in the games I have played other than EVE that danger is not there unless there is  PvP on a world basis.  Shadowbane was  like it, clunky and laggy as it was.   In non pvp worlds where i have to fight the AI monsters - there is no danger.  4 mobs will be there, attack 1 and the others stand there... no sense of danger... for me.  The unpredictabilty of other players, never knowing who will attack you, that is the spice I, and those who play EVE regularly are looking for, imho.    

If you don't like it... fine but don't rate it low because it isn't what you like. Rate it on how ell it does what it does.  You guys are like movie critics rating movies on the basis of  is it an oscar winner?   They should rate horror movies as horror movies - how much did it scare you?  Same with games - ok, it's PvP - how well does it do that?   End of rant... and after all - just my opinion.

I rate a game on how well I like it. Just like the writer of the above re-review did btw if you hadn't noticed. I don't care how well done FFA pvp is, I hate it and any game that has it, will be a bad game in my book. My opinion. My right.

I did say that for the INTENDED TARGET AUDIENCE, yes the game is good, but that does NOT make it a good game for someone who is not in that particular demographic. There are certain things about a game that you can judge unbiased, but many that you simply cannot. It always comes down to opions and personal taste. And this review reeks of one-sided fanboi-ism.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by ElderRat

You obviously never played FFXI.  

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

You're tired of hearing about Eve yet you followed the link, read the review and commented on it.

Please stop with the real life analogies, they're silly to the point of being absurd.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

EVE Online, Best Online.