Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question: If guild wars 2 is not about the Items/Gear or the levels then what is the carrot?

Comments

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Sooo much entitled crying by those who believe that time investments should control the economy.

Like it says in my sig - entitlement is bad. And you don't need to spend money, it's a choice.

I've said elsewhere that I will just find the most utilitarian armour I can, the most sensible set, and keep that forever. I don't like looking ridiculous, and I think what most people think is 'kewl' or 'phat' or whatever the hell words we're using today really isn't that great, it's fairly silly.

Spending money will be the user's choice. Some of us will have it and not squander it (money, that is). Imagine that.

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

Maybe my carrot is a different flavour to your carrot. My carrot is the one Muntz and Thane described. Rather a combination of both so perhaps not one or the other, a new carrot entirely. I think it's pretty difficult to describe a single carrot the game offers that will make everyone happy.

One of life's lil hand grenades

Originally posted by Kaocan

Exactly! Very well said.

Thanks!

I'm a singleplayer/co-op gamer, mostly, and this notion that the game has to involve work leading to a carrot is ridiculous. The game itself is the reward, the game needs to be fun, and again, if your game isn't fun then it's just broken.

I mean, if you want to feel like you've really achieved something? Go to a volunteer centre. If you pretend to be achieving things in games, then one day you're going to wake up crying into your pillow.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx
    Im trying to figure out what i am farming in this game, if levels are designed to take 90 minutes each, which will probably mean about 30mnutes for me, and gear is supposed to be all uniform across levels just unique looks what am i farming for power?

Are skills still unlocked through quests and stuff? it seems as though all the weapon skills are given to you as you use the weapon as such i am not quite sure what the guild wars 2 end game is, is it just pvp?

People really have forgotten what fun is, haven't they. No grind, just play. Really wish they had kept levels out of the game too, shame they caved so people had something "to do" ..

"The game itself is the reward, the game needs to be fun, and again, if your game isn't fun then it's just broken."

Yup, I worked IRL so I could play in GW etc. I did not work so I could work so I could play.

Originally posted by MwynForever

Maybe my carrot is a different flavour to your carrot. My carrot is the one Muntz and Thane described. Rather a combination of both so perhaps not one or the other, a new carrot entirely. I think it's pretty difficult to describe a single carrot the game offers that will make everyone happy.

That made absolutely no sense at all in the context of the current discussion.

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Originally posted by MwynForever

That made absolutely no sense at all in the context of the current discussion.

Why? The question is, what's the carrot? How can anyone answer that question for the OP? Only he can answer if there is an insentive for HIM to play. I can't answer it, nor can anyone. Either he'll find something worth playing for in this game or he won't and just because he can't doesn't mean others are incapable of finding a reason to play.

One of life's lil hand grenades

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

The awnser is the carrot is this little thing called FUN. Now I understand its been a long, long time since an MMO has had the idea of making the WHOLE game fun instead of trying to think of ways to waste your time. But trust me thoes games both MMO and single player have accomplished that in the past. Asherons Call for example. When it first came out and for several years afterwards max level was a pipe dream. Gear was really fairly easy to get and it varried enough to offer diffrent things. So why would we play it? Because it was damn fun to play!

That said I'm not saying GW2 will pull it off. Only time will tell if its fun from level 1 to max.

Oh and I forgot. It seems the other "carrot" is going to be how the gear looks. Which means you will be/should be able to look at someone at max level and go "WOW they are a badass they have xxx set of gear.".

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

No carrot needed, because you can buy anything you want

We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold. If you want something, whether it’s an in-game item or a microtransaction, you ultimately have two ways to get it: you can play to earn gold or you can use money to buy gems. We think that’s important, because it lets more players participate on a level playing field, whether they use their free time or their disposable income to do it.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Dreadblade

No carrot needed, because you can have as much fun as you want

We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold. If you want something, whether it’s an in-game item or a microtransaction, you ultimately have two ways to get it: you can play to earn gold or you can use money to buy gems. We think that’s important, because it lets more players participate on a level playing field, whether they use their free time or their disposable income to do it.

Achievements, challenges, dungeons, explorable mode, underwater hidden areas, PvP build making.... yea I have a lot to do in GW2.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Achievements, challenges, dungeons, explorable mode, underwater hidden areas, PvP build making.... yea I have a lot to do in GW2.

I know no other game has all those, oh wait , no OW PvP, no crafting, and now I can buy my way to uberness well done A Net

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

There's no carrot.

Better choose TSW over GW2 if you need carrots :j

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Fun pvp for me, not being stuck in a tupperware box grinding tokens like all the wow clones
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

I know no other game has all those, oh wait , no OW PvP, no crafting, and now I can buy my way to uberness well done A Net

Explain how you can buy your way to uberness. PS. being able to buy items in the store is not buying your way to uberness.

As a bonus exercise, explain what "uberness" is in GW2.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Fun pvp for me, not being stuck in a tupperware box grinding tokens like all the wow clones

No now it will be gems lol

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

And why exactly would I want to farm anything in a game? I have a job already, don't need a second one that doesn't really give me salary. 

I want to do silly stuff, trying to solo big bad event bosses, explore the maps, do PvP both in structured mode and in WvWvW, I may want to hunt some nice looking set of gear over time, piece by piece just for my own enjoynment. Why would I ever want artificial progression like tiered gear sets that exist only so in few months I can farm for next tier? 

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Explain how you can buy your way to uberness. PS. being able to buy items in the store is not buying your way to uberness.

If I can buy anything that will take someone else who can't afford to buy, time and effort I will call that uberness because i did squat to earn it. Keep defending your holy grail though it is ok, but god forbid someone does not like what A net has done.

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

There's no carrot.

Better choose TSW over GW2 if you need carrots :j

Sorry, that's incorrect. There is a carrot. It's not the SAME carrot as other MMOs are famous for, and it's a carrot that isn't artificially held in front of you by a stick to stretch 3 weeks of content out for three months, but there are indeed carrots (multiple) in GW2.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

*snip*

If I can buy anything that will take someone else who can't afford to buy, time and effort I will call that uberness because i did squat to earn it. Keep defending your holy grail though it is ok, but god forbid someone does not like what A net has done.

Will you be able to use your cash to buy gear from Karma Vendors, PvP gear vendors or from Dungeon gear vendors? The answer to all of those is "NO".[mod edit]

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

So basically, this is going to work out just like GW1?

Early on, it's going to get all the players looking for the next MMO, they will power though it completely and realize, they just skipped over everything they were supposed to play through. some will go back and re play what they missed a few more times through. while most wil probably get bored and move on.

But basically, in the end, most people will play the content through, Put GW2 on the shelf until the next content update and GW2 becomes the game people play between games.

I really don't see this game holding millions of player's attention day after day, month after month.

I am looking forward to experienceing GW, But even now in Rift, There are titles to grind and there is social status gear that can be purchsed with reputation. If I get them through other play, sure, great, But I won't go run an old out leveled dungeon just to get a title I missed. I won't do reputation grinds in order to gain access to social wear.

These grinds do not appeal to me. and I would assume many like me. (I don't think I am alone in this)

Maybe I am.

Originally posted by Master10K

*snip*

[mod edit]

Ahh yes you can, get your facts straight [mod edit]

I feel sorry for you because you seem to be under the impression that ArenaNet never said they would sell items that would save time for players. Unfortunately they have said so from the get-go, so this is neither new information, nor a surprise in any way to anyone who has spent the remotest amount of time looking into Guild Wars 2.

You should have "not liked what ANet had done" about 7 years ago... now you're impotently upset, and irrelevant.

*snip*

[mod edit]

Ahh yes you can, get your facts straight 

[mod edit]

Nope, not true. [mod edit]

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

*snip*

Will you be able to use your cash to buy gear from Karma Vendors, PvP gear vendors or from Dungeon gear vendors? The answer to all of those is "NO". 

[mod edit]

Yeah.... I'm going to be able to purchase a non-prestiege set of gear with little to no effort. Maybe even just acquire it during regular pve gameplay and it will have the same base stats as the uber elite gear you can buy. So you can spend all the real world cash you want to look cool but your gear will never make you "Uber". All you can do is pay to look good.

*snip*

Will you be able to use your cash to buy gear from Karma Vendors, PvP gear vendors or from Dungeon gear vendors? The answer to all of those is "NO". 

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Nope, not true. N

[mod edit]

But what if you don’t want to read flowery language and pick from a lot of dialog? What if you just want to simply kill everything and hand in some heads for a reward? No problem! We understand that not everyone wants to hone their interpersonal skills with NPC banter, but we recognize they don’t want to miss out on all the benefits either. Well, have no fear because the most rewarding NPCs will, as an alternative, also sell their services for some gold if you haven’t developed your personality or earned enough karma. And if you truly don’t want to be bothered reading at all, we make clear the shortest path through a conversation so you can get back to the fighting.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

*snip*

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Show me in-game proof, there's plenty to back up my claims