Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait, so you mean i can in theory buy more character slots without spending more money?

13»

Comments

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by Madimorga

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by freston

Damn Anet. And i was so willing to give them my money. So inconsiderate of them.

Someone needs to spend that money anyways to buy the jewels.

Why would Anet care if it is you or someone else?

In a perfect world for Anet, both players will buy everything the cash shop has to offer.  What if deciding to do things the hard way (farming gold for diamonds) causes a player to be more frugal and to buy less overall?  What if the second player buys gold via diamonds, not in addition to but instead of buying cash shop items with those diamonds?

Anet better watch it.  They might end up losing out on this whole diamonds to gold thing.

somebody still paid for the diamonds.. anet wont lose out.. if 1 person spent 1 million dollars on diamonds and sold them all for gold it wouldnt matter to anet they got the million dollars. 

Doesnt matter if you never spend a $, and only use gold to buy gems somoene still spent the money to get the gems

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

This is a pretty well designed system. You can by gems, which are used to buy Cash Shop items, including account services, with gold, but only by buying them from other players. So, every Gem has been purchased for cash by someone, prior to it being cashed in for a cash shop purchase.

Supply/demand, (which is cross server due to the "global" in game Marketplace), will determine the gold to gem pricing and if the Gold price ever gets too high, people can just chose to buy gems for cash, rather than for gold, which represents their time spent playing the game.

BTW, the "global", (only in quotes, because I don't know if it's region wide, or truly global) Marketplace is a big key to keeping the entire economy balanced. When supply/demand is determined by all active players, rather than players on a server, the opportunities for Auction House Manipulation by any individual are almost entirely negated. No one can hope to ever corner the market on a resource or crafted good and profit via price gouging.

Buying Gems to directly purchase cash shop items is very straight forward and people with disposable income, but a lack of time, may indeed find various "time saving" buffs worth while. Buying Gems as a speculator, intending to pay $$$ to buy Gems to sell for in game gold is a lot more iffy. They can never be legally converted back int cash and if someone sets a selling price higher than the lowest price on the marketplace, they risk never selling at the asking price. I think most who do the conversion will want an instant return, pricing Gems on the Marketplace at the lowest current price, which will put a lot of downward pressure on pricing.

There will be some equilibrium reached dynamically and the resistance of the global marketplace to price manipulation is an important factor to consider. Supply/Demand will rule the conversion rate, not speculators and there will always be a ceiling limited by the $$$ price for buying a gem directly from NCSoft.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Even the most fanatic GW2 fans need to realize that something is wrong:

If everything that can be bought with gold is worthless, then why would anyone sell gems for gold? It wouldn't make any sense. It doesn't matter if it is "character power" or "peacock power" that can be bought with gold, all that matters is that a significant part of the population finds it important enough to actually sell their gems for extra gold.

It's not that everything is worthless... it's that nothing is.

You may wish to be sitting down when this finally sinks in.

Assume that I am one of those people who will buy gems with real money, now give me a good reason for why I would change my gems for  gold? Will I do it so that I can buy hundreds of different outfits? Tell me why I would change my real money for gold.

That's the beauty of it... whatever reasons are yours alone.  You may not even want to change the gems for gold and simply gather the gold you want through play, saving the gems for store purchases or whatever. It doesn't matter. Nothing will, in this game, necessitate great wealth to be successful.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by fiontar

This is a pretty well designed system. You can by gems, which are used to buy Cash Shop items, including account services, with gold, but only by buying them from other players. So, every Gem has been purchased for cash by someone, prior to it being cashed in for a cash shop purchase.

Supply/demand, (which is cross server due to the "global" in game Marketplace), will determine the gold to gem pricing and if the Gold price ever gets too high, people can just chose to buy gems for cash, rather than for gold, which represents their time spent playing the game.

BTW, the "global", (only in quotes, because I don't know if it's region wide, or truly global) Marketplace is a big key to keeping the entire economy balanced. When supply/demand is determined by all active players, rather than players on a server, the opportunities for Auction House Manipulation by any individual are almost entirely negated. No one can hope to ever corner the market on a resource or crafted good and profit via price gouging.

Buying Gems to directly purchase cash shop items is very straight forward and people with disposable income, but a lack of time, may indeed find various "time saving" buffs worth while. Buying Gems as a speculator, intending to pay $$$ to buy Gems to sell for in game gold is a lot more iffy. They can never be legally converted back int cash and if someone sets a selling price higher than the lowest price on the marketplace, they risk never selling at the asking price. I think most who do the conversion will want an instant return, pricing Gems on the Marketplace at the lowest current price, which will put a lot of downward pressure on pricing.

There will be some equilibrium reached dynamically and the resistance of the global marketplace to price manipulation is an important factor to consider. Supply/Demand will rule the conversion rate, not speculators and there will always be a ceiling limited by the $$$ price for buying a gem directly from NCSoft.

I think you are probably right there. For me, if I want something in the cash shop I will buy it myself though I would never buy anything beyond vanity items. If I felt that I absolutely needed to buy ingame advantages from the cash shop I would soon enough realise this game wasn't for me and I would move on. I also will not part with ingame gold to buy gems as I imagine there will enough gold sinks in game for me to deal with. Adding more grind to buy gems doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun for me so I won't do it. I don't care how other people choose to play thus far as we can only speculate as to what will and will not be in the cash shop.

One of life's lil hand grenades