Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A call for a transaction limit of $5 per month/account

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

If Anet is serious about real money not giving unfair advantages, then they should have no problem with putting a limit on how much each account spends per month on 'gems'.  Since box sales were supposed to pay for the game in the first place, then even getting 5 dollars a month per account should be a huge windfall for them.

Call for it, get behind it, ensure game integrity and prevent greed from spiraling out of control.  Otherwise I assure you it will be like other systems where they put out 50 bucks+ per month of new crap on the cash shop when they could be adding stuff for all players. 

No one should be spending more than this, otherwise there may as well just be a sub and no cash shop.

Comments

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Why?

You can't buy any advantage in game, stats wise (plus all the end game 'epic' armor is dungeon related and certainly not purchasable). Let people pay for gems however much they want. The value of gems will always go down regardless as more people have them.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Let people buy all the 25$ sparkling pink ponies they want.

At the end of the day it's cash in ANet's bank account and an incentive for them to keep developing.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Lets get some facts straight before you rant any more.

The best items in game are not purchased with gold. Kharma and dungeoun tokens are for the best items.

Gold or gems trading merely takes the gold farmers out of the mix. This allows people who never wish to pay real money for cash shop items like, more bag space, vanity items, additional character slots, the chance to obtain them without paying cash.

Gold will be only created by players, which means all you can do with real cash is have those convience items before someone who doesn't.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Kids dont have credit cards and as adults, we can make decisions for ourselves, well at least I can.
  • asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

Newsflash, people: every single MMO has had gold buying, the only difference is that it wasn't legitimate. Rich idiots have always been able to purchase gold illegally, and yet somehow every single MMO has managed to avoid having a giant market crash. The only thing Anet are doing is handling it themselves instead of making you deal with some shady RMT sites that will most likely steal your account and cash.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

It's not about you, it's about the game and the principle of not milking customers and turning the game into a p2w-fest.

Everything else posted is irrelevant.  If the cash shop truly isn't a threat to the integrity of the game as primarily B2P, then a 5 dollar limit has no counter-argument.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I'd rather have people buy broken items than give into fear.  Especially "fear" about a video game feature.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by adam_nox

It's not about you, it's about the game and the principle of not milking customers and turning the game into a p2w-fest.

Everything else posted is irrelevant.  If the cash shop truly isn't a threat to the integrity of the game as primarily B2P, then a 5 dollar limit has no counter-argument.

Other than it is your opinion that it will "turn the game into a p2w-fest".

It is good to know that all other opinions besides yours are irrelevant though.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

that's a non-sequitur.

This is about your emotions. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Ahhhhhhhh the sky is falling !!!!!

Lolipops !

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Please tell us what you will do if your rich?

Buy the best gear.. oh wait everyone has same stats and most gear is karma based

Buy mats to make gear to make more money..?

Buy lots of WvW stuff? Only that's limited to supply

So please tell me why you think being rich is a "Pay to Win"?

The only item your wallet will buy you ingame, is your time.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

You don't understand...

The best gear in the game is primarily bought with karma and dungeon tokens.

Why limit the income of ArenaNet when it doesn't ruin the game? Will it change the game? Of course, but not to the extent that everyone is crying about. This is MUCH like what Eve is doing. They are fine...

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

The great thing about message forums is that they show who the irrational unimaginative people who jump to conclusions and freak out.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

If Anet is serious about real money not giving unfair advantages, then they should have no problem with putting a limit on how much each account spends per month on 'gems'.  Since box sales were supposed to pay for the game in the first place, then even getting 5 dollars a month per account should be a huge windfall for them.

Call for it, get behind it, ensure game integrity and prevent greed from spiraling out of control.  Otherwise I assure you it will be like other systems where they put out 50 bucks+ per month of new crap on the cash shop when they could be adding stuff for all players. 

No one should be spending more than this, otherwise there may as well just be a sub and no cash shop.

i dont think they will limit the amout of gems you can buy with gold... they said they generate income from those transactions on the market. I dont know how taht works or i may be a total idiot but tahts what it says and i dont know how it works, all i know is they are doing their best to keep their game balanced and not give power to the payer. (GW1 microtrans was balanced) GW2 can be balanced to and more polished. 

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Thats the same as telling them to go belly up.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

who are you to tell me how much girly dress up stuff I get to buy each month.. or how many char slots. This is utter nonsense.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Rhianni32

The great thing about message forums is that they show who the irrational unimaginative people who jump to conclusions and freak out.

I really don't think they are jumping to conclusions...this news really has only two possible outcomes and both are (IMO) bad.

Since you can "buy" gold with real money, and since the AH uses gold as currency, that means that you essentially can buy anything in the AH with real money.  This means one of two things:

1.  Either nothing on the AH can ever offer your character an advantage...which means the economy will suck horribly because no one will want to buy anything.

OR

2.  You can pay money to buy an in-game advantage.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Just where do YOU get off telling everyone else how much they can spend a month?  ArenaNet has a right to make money and I, and others, have a right to buy furry boots for appearances if we want them.  If you're personally afraid of spending money, then develop some self control.  No one is MAKING you spend money. Enough said.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

They will manipulate things until they are getting an average of AT LEAST $15.00/month to make up for not have a subscription. 

Originally posted by just1opinion

Just where do YOU get off telling everyone else how much they can spend a month?  ArenaNet has a right to make money and I, and others, have a right to buy furry boots for appearances if we want them.  If you're personally afraid of spending money, then develop some self control.  No one is MAKING you spend money. Enough said.

You do have a right, but I think it's only fair to point out that we're not just talking about "

furry boots for appearances"... We're talking about IN GAME GOLD.  That's a very big difference.

Originally posted by Creslin321

I really don't think they are jumping to conclusions...this news really has only two possible outcomes and both are (IMO) bad.

Since you can "buy" gold with real money, and since the AH uses gold as currency, that means that you essentially can buy anything in the AH with real money.  This means one of two things:

1.  Either nothing on the AH can ever offer your character an advantage...which means the economy will suck horribly because no one will want to buy anything.

OR

I want a link to where you're getting your information regarding gold and the AH.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by NMStudio

They will manipulate things until they are getting an average of AT LEAST $15.00/month to make up for not have a subscription. 

This along with the OP are just non-sensical and prove how uninformed the HATERz are when it comes to this game, and other games that have microtransactions. 

It really shows how they have to grasp at straws to keep up there hatred of a game they know nothing about.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin

This along with the OP are just non-sensical and prove how uninformed the HATERz are when it comes to this game, and other games that have microtransactions. 

It really shows how they have to grasp at straws to keep up there hatred of a game they know nothing about.

This ^^^^^.  It's really getting f***ing old too.

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by Creslin321

OR

I want a link to where you're getting your information regarding gold and the AH.

Read today's blog post.  GEMS can be purchased with CASH.  In game GOLD can then be purchased with GEMS.  Therefor, in game GOLD can be purchased with CASH.

Don't you have enough self-control to NOT spend the money?  This is illogical.  They didn't do that with GW1 and they won't do it with GW2.  I guess there's no proving it to YOU though, since you're probably one of the haters that has no intention of playing but just comes to the GW2 forum to piss and moan.