Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mike O'Brien (ArenaNet founder) on microtransactions

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by aionix

And all of a sudden the forums exploded. I don't really like it, it is way too similar to Diablo 3's Auction House.

Edit to the poster above me: But doesn't a system like this allow players to gain power by spending Real Money? Is this a problem in EvE?

As Kuppa just said, you can only buy vanity items in the cash shop.  In D3, you can buy gear that gives you a statitical advantage over other players.  That is a HUGE difference, so they really arn't the same.  All this does is allow playares who devote more time to playing GW2 to use ingame currency for cash shop vanity items rather than using real money. 

But what if someone would buy hundreds of Gems for example and offer to sell them to others for gold, couldn't that potentially give him an enormous advantage over others in terms of in-game wealth?

wealth is a preceived stat and doesn't beat people in combat in and of itself.  If you could factually prove that wealth buys you a button of IWIN, you have a point.  But you failed to do that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

It seems that most people who are defending this think the game will be like GW1 with a lobby town, some meaningless short-lived PvE, and most people doing counterstrike PvP in arenas.

But that's not GW2.  GW2 is very close to a traditional MMO where gear does matter, where social interactions matter, where people congregate and socialize, where appearances matter, where there's more to endgame than PvP, and more to PvP than having a 1337 team of 4 people.    GW2 is not GW1 and honestly shouldn't even have been named GW2.

In a simpler small scale pvp focused game, a cash shop has limited implications.  In a fully fledged MMO it's a different matter.

It's clear they crunched numbers and decided B2P was a failure, and the implications of this should scare you if they don't.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Kuppa

And all of a sudden the forums exploded. I don't really like it, it is way too similar to Diablo 3's Auction House.

Edit to the poster above me: But doesn't a system like this allow players to gain power by spending Real Money? Is this a problem in EvE?

As Kuppa just said, you can only buy vanity items in the cash shop.  In D3, you can buy gear that gives you a statitical advantage over other players.  That is a HUGE difference, so they really arn't the same.  All this does is allow playares who devote more time to playing GW2 to use ingame currency for cash shop vanity items rather than using real money. 

But what if someone would buy hundreds of Gems for example and offer to sell them to others for gold, couldn't that potentially give him an enormous advantage over others in terms of in-game wealth?

You know, this is AN INCREDIBLY GOOD question for MMORPG.com to ask in the beta.

But in the end wealth does not make it unfair i mean if someone who is lvl 19 as 2,000,000 gold and asome other 19 has 10,000 gold but all the top gear for lvl 19 can be bought for 9,000 gold then noone really has an advatage. wealth means nothing.  It all comes down to item price and even so the person with less gold is stll able to aquire said items  even without spending real money.   so in the end it makes no differance.

• CrackboneCrackbone Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Originally posted by Crackbone

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by 2D34DLY4U

It's basically the best possible system and makes total sense, I applaud ArenaNet for having the courage to apply EVE PLEX system on their MMO. Has pros and cons but it's the best the industry has come up with so far.

That said...incoming community reaction!!!

I love the smell of fresh fanboy charred corpses in the afternoon :)

Burn, fanbabies, burn.

I think you may be confused.  fanboys defend everything a company does.

The best system is a subscription fee.  Cash shops are simply an attempt to get more than 15 bucks per player per month on average.

Complete and utter nonsense. 

In a subscription system, I pay the developer on the PROMISE that they are going to provide me with content for the $$. 

In a B2P/MT based system, I pay the developer when they provide me something I want. 

There's a huge difference, and judging how many of those subscription based MMOs have been doing of late actually DELIVERING content to their players(hint, most don't provide enough), I'd say that this system puts the responsibility on the developers, not the player base to provide REASONS to continue to pay. 

So, you're saying you want microtransactions to include content?

That'd divide the playerbase.  Bad idea.

Let me explain this to you so you understand it, because apparently the blog got you so frothed up into a "PAY2WIN?!?!!?" frenzy as to cloud your reasoning, I can excuse your lack of understanding. 

Expansions, MTs, and other spending that's MY choice, is separate from being FORCED to spend money via a subscription. 

Additionally, providing Gems for people who purchase vanity items(content/fluff/whatever you want to call it), and allowing them to be sold in the Trading post, allow people who don't wish to pay beyond the original box cost an opportunity to own those items, and/or participate in that section of the content. 

This allows EVERYONE, regardless of their purchases to participate.  It's not exclusive, it's inclusive

Furthermore, not one penny of MT money is going to change hands unless there's something in the cash shop that players WANT TO BUY. (Again, I'm not forced to buy anything or pay a monthly sub, it's optional)

The blog plainly states what type items are to be available in said cash shop. 

This whole thread is a tempest in a teapot. 

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Requiamer

Honestly its not the system that is important but the intention they put behind the system. If they are not "that" greedy, everything will be fine. That was with Eve, it is the same with those day 1 Dlc, and every time people have to bang the fist on the table. Some marketing guys can think they are super smart and all, but really anyone with common sense know those tricks don't really go far. So unless you have only short therm into account, most people avoid this kind of crap.

But they ARE that greedy, that's what we've been saying all along.  Calling the game "Buy To Play" was nothing but a marketting ploy, they're still going to have to pay off the development cost and then make profit for the investors, just like every other game out there. I really don't understand how the fanboi's could convince themselves that somehow this was going to be different...

• Originally posted by kadepsyson

Originally posted by Zacs

Anet is a company, if they dont make money they cant do shit.

This is the most fair way to make money, let the player decide what they want to do with their money. If someone doesnt want to spend money they dont have to. 

Players that want to spend money get rewarded for it, otherwise nobody would spend their money right?

Yes there will be players that buy gems and sell them ingame for gold to get other stuff. Thats just smart, and as long as other players are willing to buy it they will keep doing it.

I agree with the first three things you said.

Players determining what's worth their money is awesome.  Legal RMT is not.

Again this is all up to the players, if for example 1 gem sells for 10k people will keep doing this and it will be big business.

If 1 gem sells for only 1k, then whats the point of spending your real money for that little bit of ingame gold? Its all up to us, we can allow it or we don't

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by rojo6934

you wont be able to gain power by spending real money. I dont know about EVE because ive never played it or even looked into it, but Mark O Briens message its pretty clear that theres no power to the player (who spends real money) over the one who spends time.

The items that they are going to sell in the cash shop are now irrelevant. Thats (hopefully) not going to be a problem as they will all (hopefully) be vanity items. 

$$ --> Gems --> In Game Gold quite simply means the game is now pay to win.

For example(numbers pulled outa my ass):

Person A plays 20 hours to get 10,000 gold to buy excellent gear

Person B plays 1 hour and spends $ to get gems, sells them for gold and buys the same excellent gear 

Person B wins because he gets the same gear in a fraction of the time

it is not pay to Win because the awesome gear is not a cash shop gear. They wont sell cash shop gear with statsm only appearance change items to make your gear look different. Regarding the gear you mentioned, you get it whenever you can afford it. So no, i think you are missunderstandig the cash shop system here. I do know what you mean, other F2P mmos do exactly what you say. But here (as far as O'Brien tells us) its not that way.

I dont think you are fully understanding. Cash shop gear is now irrelevant as you can convert real $ into Gems into in game gold. You can then buy in game (non cash shop) items with your gold. Someone playing without spending real $ will take a lot longer to be "able to afford it" than someone that pays real $ for in game gold. 

Basically the sytem allows you to skip playing the game. If you pay cash, you don't need to earn the gold in game, someone else has to earn it and sell it to you. 

Now players have essentialy the choice: Do I play the game I payed for, or do I pay even more so I don't have to play the game I payed for.

For me, this actually means I don't ever need to pay cash since the cash shop items can actually be payed for with currency I earned in game.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by waynejr2

wealth is a preceived stat and doesn't beat people in combat in and of itself.  If you could factually prove that wealth buys you a button of IWIN, you have a point.  But you failed to do that.

uh, it all depends on who has burden of proof, given the corruption of every other mmo with a cash shop, I think that burden is on those who assert that wealth does NOT give an advantage.  You say a 'button of IWIN' but it doesn't have to be that.  It just has to be an advantage.

That advantage can be in time investment needed, it can be in recovery time needed (repairs and such), it can be in gear acquisition, and it can be based on other things as well.  But advantages can take many forms, not just who would win in an arena match.

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by NMStudio

Where are the fanboi's now?  They are selling IN GAME GOLD, end of discussion.   I've said all along that the cash shop worried me, and I have been completely vindicated.  This game is now a F2P/P2W nightmare.

Newsflash, people: every single MMO has had gold buying, the only difference is that it wasn't legitimate. Rich idiots have always been able to purchase gold illegally, and yet somehow every single MMO has managed to avoid having a giant market crash. The only thing Anet are doing is handling it themselves instead of making you deal with some shady RMT sites that will most likely steal your account and cash.

• DallanonDallanon Member UncommonPosts: 13

Since my addiction to WoW has officially been broken (3 months, and counting, since I unsubbed! A record for me), I'm willing to spend up to $15/month on the GW2 cash shop.  I can see both points of view (defenders and nay-sayers), but I'm willing to wait and see how it plays out.  

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by waynejr2

You can buy Guild Influence with gold, you can buy temporary XP-boosts with gold, you can build siege weapons in WvW-PvP with gold, you can buy equipment stat. modifying items with gold.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Hard to compare it to EvE and Plex without knowing exactly how crafting/drops/loot will work in GW2.

In EvE, buying Plex with real money and then selling for in-game cash (isk) doesn't give you any more power than another player, but it certainly gives you more opportunity to buy new ships, better mods, rare skill books, etc. which can directly translate to having more power easier/faster than a player who tries to raise that same amount of isk in game.

So the power ceiling never changes, if max power is 100/100 than no matter which direction, RMT or in-game you still can only go up to 100/100

But the player who spends money IRL can almost certainly get to that max power level faster and easier (less time/effort)

So in that sense it does unbalance things.

But again, EvE is a universe where everything is player made (for the most part) so if GW2 has a lot of really high quality loot and drops that are untradable (BOP) than it might not have the same downsides as EvE and Plex.

Still.. this is... troubling, to say the least.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

When will people learn that whether a game has a monthly fee or not has little to nothing to do with RMT.  I hate to break it to some of you but if gear and gold is important in the game you're currently playing, it's being run by gold sellers and the people that buy said gold.  They have an unfair advantage over you.

What this system does, in conjunction with all gear being even, is eliminate the 3rd party gold sellers and hackers.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It's basically the best possible system and makes total sense, I applaud ArenaNet for having the courage to apply EVE PLEX system on their MMO. Has pros and cons but it's the best the industry has come up with so far.

Burn, fanbabies, burn.

The best system is a subscription fee.  Cash shops are simply an attempt to get more than 15 bucks per player per month on average.

In a subscription system, I pay the developer on the PROMISE that they are going to provide me with content for the $$. 

In a B2P/MT based system, I pay the developer when they provide me something I want. 

There's a huge difference, and judging how many of those subscription based MMOs have been doing of late actually DELIVERING content to their players(hint, most don't provide enough), I'd say that this system puts the responsibility on the developers, not the player base to provide REASONS to continue to pay. 

Let me explain this to you so you understand it, because apparently the blog got you so frothed up into a "PAY2WIN?!?!!?" frenzy as to cloud your reasoning, I can excuse your lack of understanding. 

Expansions, MTs, and other spending that's MY choice, is separate from being FORCED to spend money via a subscription. 

Additionally, providing Gems for people who purchase vanity items(content/fluff/whatever you want to call it), and allowing them to be sold in the Trading post, allow people who don't wish to pay beyond the original box cost an opportunity to own those items, and/or participate in that section of the content. 

This allows EVERYONE, regardless of their purchases to participate.  It's not exclusive, it's inclusive

Furthermore, not one penny of MT money is going to change hands unless there's something in the cash shop that players WANT TO BUY. (Again, I'm not forced to buy anything or pay a monthly sub, it's optional)

So, buying an expansion that my friend doesn't have will still mean I'd have areas he wouldn't be able to play in.  That's what I meant by optional content purchases dividing a playerbase.

I am not saying this is pay to win, by the way.  I'm saying that it's a bad system and a cop out on RMT enforcement, laden with greed.

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

Originally posted by LordRelic

<snip>

But in the end wealth does not make it unfair i mean if someone who is lvl 19 as 2,000,000 gold and asome other 19 has 10,000 gold but all the top gear for lvl 19 can be bought for 9,000 gold then noone really has an advatage. wealth means nothing.  It all comes down to item price and even so the person with less gold is stll able to aquire said items  even without spending real money.   so in the end it makes no differance.

But can you not see how the ability to circumvent grind time for gold and drops by simply buying gold with real money via diamond exchange will inflate prices so that 9,000 won't buy the best gear?

Now if every level in the game was serviced by an NPC vendor that sold the best gear at reasonable in game gold and/or Karma prices, there would be no problem.  Also, however, there would be no need for crafters or an auction house.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by BadSpock

Hard to compare it to EvE and Plex without knowing exactly how crafting/drops/loot will work in GW2.

In EvE, buying Plex with real money and then selling for in-game cash (isk) doesn't give you any more power than another player, but it certainly gives you more opportunity to buy new ships, better mods, rare skill books, etc. which can directly translate to having more power easier/faster than a player who tries to raise that same amount of isk in game.

So the power ceiling never changes, if max power is 100/100 than no matter which direction, RMT or in-game you still can only go up to 100/100

But the player who spends money IRL can almost certainly get to that max power level faster and easier (less time/effort)

So in that sense it does unbalance things.

But again, EvE is a universe where everything is player made (for the most part) so if GW2 has a lot of really high quality loot and drops that are untradable (BOP) than it might not have the same downsides as EvE and Plex.

It would be really nice if every post regarding the current topic would contain this ^ specific post as a quote.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I believe this could work if everything works horizontally at endgame like Anet is telling us, which I'm sure it will.  It's very early to tell how the economy will work with this approach after launch. 

The currency that I believe Anet will use to buy upgrades and actual character bonuses for players is Karma.  Karma is earned through a players deeds and accomplishments in-game.  So you have to work for your bonuses when it comes to performance.  Gold and gems are used for small consumables and cosmetic bonuses respectively. 

My speculation of course.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Burn, fanbabies, burn.

You overlook the fact that the GEMS that are purchased with REAL CASH can then be exchanged for GOLD, which means that EVERY SINGLE PURCHASABLE ITEM IN THE GAME CAN NOW BE BOUGHT WITH CASH.

Does that help your lack of understanding?

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I don't really care about this,never have I cared about how my toons look and they are only selling cosmetic items.Until its confirmed i can buy the +50 VORPAL SWORD OF INSTANT DEATH in the cash shop i am not concerned.

Burn, fanbabies, burn.

So, buying an expansion that my friend doesn't have will still mean I'd have areas he wouldn't be able to play in.  That's what I meant by optional content purchases dividing a playerbase.

I am not saying this is pay to win, by the way.  I'm saying that it's a bad system and a cop out on RMT enforcement, laden with greed.

If it's used for ongoing game development and content, who cares.  Unless you work for one of the gold farmers, I fail to see the difference.  The money is going somewhere in all of these games.  It's either going to the developer(CCP/Arenanet) or it's going to one of the gold farming companies. 

Either way, money is being spent, it's just part of the landscape.  

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Burn, fanbabies, burn.

completely nonsense. Actually look what you say, "fanboys defend everything a company does" so you defend monthly fees believing the "dev promise" that never comes true. Monthly fees = god send game? i havent seen that. All that i see is pure greed of charging monthly for games that worth perhaps 20 bucks a box and no sub at all. So far. Microtransactions are bad only when the people in charge wants to rip off our wallets and unbalance the game to give all the power to the ones who pays. Doesnt seem like it in GW2. Also take into account that GW2 sells the box, box sells are enough for any developer to make up their profit. Convenience cash shop ar just as extra as a monthly fee. 

IF you ask me ill take a well balanced cash shop anytime. I dont have to stop playing the game i paid a box for because my subscription ran out. 

Originally posted by NMStudio

Burn, fanbabies, burn.

You overlook the fact that the GEMS that are purchased with REAL CASH can then be exchanged for GOLD, which means that EVERY SINGLE PURCHASABLE ITEM IN THE GAME CAN NOW BE BOUGHT WITH CASH.

Does that help your lack of understanding?

That is completely untrue.

Karma is a bound currency. 

It's completely irrelevant considering that the majority of most powerful items are going to be gained via Karma, which is a bound currency. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Stop only thinking about what this will do for people willing to spend real money and think what it will do those that refuse to spend real money.. they will still be able to get all the collector's and seasonal armor from the cash shop without spending any real money.

There are benefits to both sides.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Exilor

Why yes, probably,  but that's hardly comforting is it?

The only comfort that could be offered is the rumor that people in the Beta will be able to see what is in the cashshop.

Maybe.  The cash shop may or may not be operational or available during the beta.  Even if it is available that doesn't mean everything displayed with what will be offered on Go Live.

Well considering the first line of the blog, I'd say it's going to be operational during the beta.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by BadSpock

It would be really nice if every post regarding the current topic would contain this ^ specific post as a quote.

Yeah, would certainly stop a lot of pointless ranting.

Can anyone provide links as to how exactly loot/drops work in relation to crafted gear and how much BoP vs BoE gear etc. there is?

I mean... all this worry about P2Play and Buy2Win would be pretty pointless if all the "good stuff" is BoP drop/loot only.