Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mike O'Brien (ArenaNet founder) on microtransactions

Comments

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by Foncl

I would much prefer a monthly fee over this. What you have in the game should reflect what you have accomplished in the game imo, vanity items are ok though.  Anything that can be bought for gold loses alot the sense of accomplishment for people who put in the effort to obtain it with this system, I play EvE and I don't like PLEX either.

Please offer servers with a monthly fee and no RMT Arenanet, I'm sure there is a demand for it.

You left out one important part of your logic equation. All games like you describe already have gold farmers , who in turn sell it to "p2w" players. So the system exists already in every game. Anet has diminished gold farming, and at the same time, made gold a second tier currency.

The only currency that impacts game play in a competitive way, is Kharma, Tokens, and unlocking skills. The only way to obtain those currencies is with game time played.

Gold farmers exist in every game yeah, making RMT easily accessible to everyone will increase the RMT significantly and isn't a solution to the issue as far as I'm concerned. If they kept vanity items as the only items purchaseable with gems then I would agree that it has no real impact on the game, they didn't and you can clearly pay money instead of spending time to obtain items that affect your character or accomplish things.

The argument that you can only buy time conveniences is silly imo, if you don't put in the time then you don't deserve whatever it is you want, earn it like people used to do in games.

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by Crackbone

Originally posted by Lambon

Wow.

What the hell happened to earning things in game? Isn't the point of playing video games fun via rewards? If people are allowed to purchase the reward; doesn't that defeat the ENTIRE purpose of the game? All you have to do is pull out your wallet and you can unlock that extra content......terrible.

I'll ask you the same question. 

Is it okay that Player 1 and 2, who paid the same price of admission(box cost), power levels are simply separated by the time they spent in the game? 

If player 1 can devote X hours to the game, and player 2 can devote X + 20 hours to the game, Player 2 will undoubtly have an advantage under normal P2P game systems. 

I'm not sure it'll be possible, but for arguments sake, let's say it is possible to "buy" your way through the game.  If someone else does, why should you care? That person might have a number of reasons for doing so, but I have a hunch those who will spend some cash in RMTs are simply time deficient.  

I also have a hunch that many of those who are "angry" about this aren't necessarily angry because of the fact there's RMTs, but they are angry because their usual advantage (time) is potentially being negated. 

And in the end, at end level, it will matter not, as the typical tiered gear treadmill doesn't exist anyway. 

A game is about having fun.  If someone derives fun from skipping through some things because they don't have the time and want to participate more quickly, what's the problem? 

Well said Crackbone. My other half couldn't tell you a single thing about the GW1 lore. But he's played as long as I have. He's played through the same missions I have but he's chosen to skip the cut scenes which explain a lot of the lore. That's the way he plays and that's FINE. Who cares? I like the lore, the side quests and maybe because of that I have taken quite a lot longer to get to where he has gotten to. I've gone as far as the game allows me to off the beaten path and am working on the explorer title too which he couldn't give a monkeys about. I'm not angry he has skipped a bunch of stuff and gotten further up the HoM then I have. If I were bothered, I would have played differently. He won't be sad I have a title that took me stupid amounts of time in his mind and more hassle then he himself would consider it worth.  I can't imagine things will be much different in GW2. He will be top level WAY before I get there. I'll spend time crafting, he'll not bother. It doesn't mean we can't still find enjoyment in the same game. We just enjoy different aspects of it.  Inevitably I ALWAYS have more money then he does in ever single game we play, because we play differently. I do NOT care if everyone gets to 80 before me. Why should I? In the end, I will hopefully know how to play my character just as well as the next person, perhaps better then some who rushed and payed little attention or expected to have some huge advantage once they got to what they consider the goal of the game ie top level.

One of life's lil hand grenades

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I would much prefer a monthly fee over this. What you have in the game should reflect what you have accomplished in the game imo, vanity items are ok though.  Anything that can be bought for gold loses alot the sense of accomplishment for people who put in the effort to obtain it with this system, I play EvE and I don't like PLEX either.

Please offer servers with a monthly fee and no RMT Arenanet, I'm sure there is a demand for it.

You left out one important part of your logic equation. All games like you describe already have gold farmers , who in turn sell it to "p2w" players. So the system exists already in every game. Anet has diminished gold farming, and at the same time, made gold a second tier currency.

The only currency that impacts game play in a competitive way, is Kharma, Tokens, and unlocking skills. The only way to obtain those currencies is with game time played.

Gold farmers exist in every game yeah, making RMT easily accessible to everyone will increase the RMT significantly and isn't a solution to the issue as far as I'm concerned. If they kept vanity items as the only items purchaseable with gems then I would agree that it has no real impact on the game, they didn't and you can clearly pay money instead of spending time to obtain items that affect your character or accomplish things.

The argument that you can only buy time conveniences is silly imo, if you don't put in the time then you don't deserve whatever it is you want, earn it like people used to do in games.

Good god, worry about you and not what others are doing. It s not a race, and if someone wants to bypass stuff who cares. Just play it the way you want.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by atticusbc

what happened to playing the game for fun?

and all these people posting saying "wah! they'll have an advantage!" okay. well, since you need your hands held, i'm going to petition anet to make a server where you can move!!! at all!!!! if i manage to run to a thing first i can do something with it first!!!!! an unfair advantage!!!! in fact, i'm going to petition anet to replace the entire game with a screen that counts the number of times you press the space bar. nice and fair.

seriously though, no one's forcing you to pay anything, or get anything from the shop. it won't affect your game in the slightest. so what if someone has more money than you? are you so low on self esteem that the mere idea of someone having a little more money than you send you into a tantrum? play the game your way, enjoy it your way, and ignore the people you don't like.

on the other hand, every time i see one of these people complaining, it means one less immature little child playing the game, which raises the quality of the community significantly. hmm.... disregard all i have said!!! please continue to rage! i hope you enjoy MoP.

I hope you enjoy the game playing with the mature people that spend 100  euros every month and see them pass you by in their amazing armors and boosts.

I'm sure it will be very fun for you, even more when you think you actually payed to have that experience, lol.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Im still trying understand where you think you can buy items that give advantages? How fast one levels or obtains something doesn't impact you in any way. No more than if you played 10 hours a day, the guy who plays 12 will have the same.

The fact that gold farmers already provide this in every game out there makes the whole uproar a silly point. But the brilliant part of what Anet has done is remove that advantage to a large degree by making gold a second tier currency.

You cannot gain kharma or skill points without time played. And those are the only direct competive interactions with other players. Which in turn, makes a wallet warrior mad as hell. Because he can't BUY the Sword of a thousand truths, even by using illegal paths like gold farmers.

Now if that elite skill sold in the CE is available at level one, now that is p2w IMO.

Im still trying understand where you think you can buy items that give advantages? How fast one levels or obtains something doesn't impact you in any way. No more than if you played 10 hours a day, the guy who plays 12 will have the same.

The fact that gold farmers already provide this in every game out there makes the whole uproar a silly point. But the brilliant part of what Anet has done is remove that advantage to a large degree by making gold a second tier currency.

You cannot gain kharma or skill points without time played. And those are the only direct competive interactions with other players. Which in turn, makes a wallet warrior mad as hell. Because he can't BUY the Sword of a thousand truths, even by using illegal paths like gold farmers.

Now if that elite skill sold in the CE is available at level one, now that is p2w IMO.

The problem is, people aren t reading. They re just scanning through the posts and getting a muddled idea of how it works.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

Originally posted by Leucent

Good god, worry about you and not what others are doing. It s not a race, and if someone wants to bypass stuff who cares. Just play it the way you want.

It's funny you say that since the reasons people use RMT is to get ahead in "the race" or to look good. Not many people would spend money in a single player game's cash shop, with similar items. All online games are competitive in some sense, you compare yourself to others to see how you look and what you have achieved.

Originally posted by Leucent

It's funny you say that since the reasons people use RMT is to get ahead in "the race" or to look good. Not many people would spend money in a single player game's cash shop, with similar items. All online games are competitive in some sense, you compare yourself to others to see how you look and what you have achieved.

Not in the least. I could care less what other people have done or not done. It s a game, if people decide to take the easy route then let them. I play my way and could care less what others do. It doesn t effect me in the least.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Fuggly

I don't think anyone should care if you can "buy" your way through the game. I have done that many times, not because I want to get somewhere faster then someone else or have any type of advantage, but because I am 32yrs old, working full time and going to school full time. People "buy" their way for many reasons, not all of them for bad reasons. I usually have certain things i like doing, want to operate leisurely at the highest level of it, but do not have the time to get there in a decent time frame.

AMEN PASTOR!

Originally posted by Metentso

I hope you enjoy the game playing with the mature people that spend 100  euros every month and see them pass you by in their amazing armors and boosts.

I'm sure it will be very fun for you, even more when you think you actually payed to have that experience, lol.

You need to learn to read.

The "best" armors in the game are only fractionally better and not buyable with gold.

The "best" armors in the game will only differ VERY slightly from the non-best armors in the game.  

The "best" armors in the game will not stop a level 60 from downing a level 80 is the level 80 is playing like an idiot.

Best, best, best, best.  When did we all take the GAME out of GAMING?  I swear.

And if they do spend hundreds of euro's a month to get XP potions and whatnot.  How does that help them when they hit 80?  How does it help them once they reach cap and there are other people out there doing the same thing?  How does it help when the naturally levelled person gets up there and stomps them in because they play their class better than the rushed one?

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Why not?... seeing them pass by doesn't affect my game playing experience or fun in any way I can see.

BTW, I am one of those mature people but doubt I'll buy anything of the IS other than maybe extra char slots.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

My day 1 purchase is all my character slots they'll allow.  I'm not losing minipets slots again.  No way Jose.

Then that's pretty much it.  People are going to bum rush the gems, I'm going to bum rush the gold and buy the gems in game for as cheap as I can saving me dough in the long run.  Play the wave and you make/save money.  

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

looks like anet are being heavily inspired by eve online.

i think it should be noted that eve's system is second to none. it has created a rather interesting dynamic to the game and one of the most interesting aspects to eve is the market. it's a game all in itself.

i'd be interested even more if they took more from eve's market and made you go from town to town to pick items up, rather than have them posted to you. that, again, added more elements to the game, but now i type that i guess gw2 isn't as pvp, so there wouldn't be a need...

all the same, there's something else we can all take from eve.

less qq, more pewpew.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Why not?... seeing them pass by doesn't affect my game playing experience or fun in any way I can see.

BTW, I am one of those mature people but doubt I'll buy anything of the IS other than maybe extra char slots.. :)

their amazing looking armors and irrelevant boosts? yeah. i'll be weeping tears of godsdamn blood. locoman has it down.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

That was for atticsub.. you are a spender, so the system is good for you. Why are you replying to this, even deleting the previous message I was replying to? Oh wait, that why you like pay to win.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by BadSpock

I think I'm going to spend exactly 14.99 per month on microtransactions just so I can argue with people on these boards that GW2 is really a subscription game...

LOLZ.....i am with you man....hehe....best post EVER.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

That was for atticsub.. you are a spender, so the system is good for you. Why are you replying to this, even deleting the previous message I was replying to? Oh wait, that why you like pay to win.

can you be specific, which armor is that you can buy?

• DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

Good grief.. I remember reading somewhere on the official website that when a person enters PVP he is given the best equipent, so all the people will actually have the same power in player versus player combat. I don't see an issue in that.

And If I'm doing PVE and, for example, I'm level 40 and there's another guy level 40 who buys stuff for real money, but the only difference is that he bought that green belt with +1 more strength on auction house, I wouldn't care about that. I'm still going to achieve everything on my own without the involvment of real money more, than I need to pay. I would love to support ArenaNet but since it's not a subscription based game, I will support them only once. Well, maybe with some stuff like character slots or whatever.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Works for me.

People that want some extra details, that the mainstream do not want, have the option to purchase them -- much like paying for leather interior for a car.

MO indicates that MT's should not give an advantage, which at least demonstrates that they are aware of the potential impact, and hopefully will seek to ensure it doesn't happen.

As a consumer, I prefer to not to have my options limited to the lowest common denominator -- removing options that I may have wanted, simply because other people do not care for them.

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

Originally posted by Darknezzzz

Good grief.. I remember reading somewhere on the official website that when a person enters PVP he is given the best equipent, so all the people will actually have the same power in player versus player combat. I don't see an issue in that.

And If I'm doing PVE and, for example, I'm level 40 and there's another guy level 40 who buys stuff for real money, but the only difference is that he bought that green belt with +1 more strength on auction house, I wouldn't care about that. I'm still going to achieve everything on my own without the involvment of real money more, than I need to pay. I would love to support ArenaNet but since it's not a subscription based game, I will support them only once. Well, maybe with some stuff like character slots or whatever.

From what I understand, that is true of the small scale pvp, but not true of WvWvW.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

i'm feeling a little lazy so i'm going use a time saving measure: ctrl+c. OH NO!!!!! I'M UNBALANCING THE FORUM PVP!!!!! lol no i guessed you were aiming that little *ahem* barb at me. response:

their amazing looking armors and irrelevant boosts? yeah. i'll be weeping tears of godsdamn blood. locoman has it down.

seriously, metentso. you need to stop with two ideas that are turning you into a rage monster:

one - GW2 is gear based. this is utterly wrong. GW2 is so much more about player skill than gear it is utterly absurd. if i run into someone in PvP, and my gear is half as good as theirs but all they do is stand around swinging like in other games, they're roadkill. (EDIT: all the armor you get from the shop is cosmetic. there are no epixx. there is no spoon.)

two - there is something that can only be attained at cap. wrongwrongwrong. you can do anything you want, at any point you want. no reason to rush to cap. GW2 is going to be a game. remember those? (i don't). when you log in for the first time, you're playing. when you log in at cap, you're playing.

people need to radically change the way they look at GW2. yes, if it were a traditional MMO, this gem system would potentially send it to hell. however, nothing about GW2 allows any noticeable advantage to players who want to use the gem system to become filthy rich. so met, play the game. play it your way. don't whine at me if i'm playing a mesmer and you're playing a warrior. just because i'm playing the game in a different way than you doesn't make one of us right and one wrong. no one has any advantage worth complaining about. sorry we can't all live up to your utopian vision of a homogenized race of super metentsos.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Madimorga

From what I understand, that is true of the small scale pvp, but not true of WvWvW.

O'Brian states that buying gear for an advantage is 'never okay', so I do not believe that we will see MT's granting any significant advantage.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Yep, and also bear in mind that you can use gold (i.e. real money) in WvW to upgrade keeps.  So it's possible that the server with Richie Rich on it will have an advantage in WvW because all their keeps iwll always be upgraded.

Hopefully, upgrading keeps won't be so exorbitantly expensive that only insane grinders or RMT gold purchasers can afford it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Creslin321

Yep, and also bear in mind that you can use gold (i.e. real money) in WvW to upgrade keeps.  So it's possible that the server with Richie Rich on it will have an advantage in WvW because all their keeps iwll always be upgraded.

Hopefully, upgrading keeps won't be so exorbitantly expensive that insane grinders or RMT gold purchasers can afford it.

Hm. Haven't thought about that, thanks for pointing it out.

Although how the comment a little bit upwards stated - Buying stuff for power is never fun. 

I hope the developers will keep it that way.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Loekii

O'Brian states that buying gear for an advantage is 'never okay', so I do not believe that we will see MT's granting any significant advantage.

Well, he actually says that a player who spends money should never have an advantage over a player who spends time.

I think this statement has been misinterpreted a bit though.  People seem to think that this statement means you can't gain an advantage by spending money...but I don't think this is true.

What I think the statement really means is that if one player spends an infinite amount of time grinding, then that player will be at the same level of power as one who spent an infinite amount of money (but zero time) on RMT.  In other words, you CAN gain an advantage over other players using RMT...but it's nothing that those players couldn't get by spending time...even if this time is measured in months.

Personally...I don't really like it.  You play a game "in the moment," not in the theoretical realm of infinite time.  If someone pays money to gain an advantage today...it doesn't matter that you could eventually equalize your power by spending more time in the gain...the RMT player still has an advantage now.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?