Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mike O'Brien (ArenaNet founder) on microtransactions

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by BadSpock

I think I'm going to spend exactly 14.99 per month on microtransactions just so I can argue with people on these boards that GW2 is really a subscription game...

LOL

and I'm going to spend 15.01 per month just so I can say the game is overpriced.

Then maybe I'll spend.. like 5.99 a month and come to this site and say that it's the cheapest subscription based MMO in teh worldsz

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by star

Everyone screaming P2W seems to forget that karma exists.

Not only that - they forget what is it you win from buying GOLD ? Its GW2

What do you win ? Yep you can buy anything on the market - but giving you what?

You can't get anything that makes you stronger than you already are if you played the game- you can't buy you stronger than another player that have played the game.

You can buy flexibility - different equipement doing different things- but all just equally powerfull to what you got from playing normally.

Where is the winning part in P2W?

I can't see it as P2W , its more like Paying to avoid playing.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by NMStudio

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by StriderXed

How bout we post some solutions we would  like to see instead. 

Take away the ability to buy gems with in game gold and vice versa..

Problem Solved.

Yeah or just let players buy gems with gold from ANet only.  Don't let players buy gems from other players...problem solved.

But ANet will not do that.  They showed their hand with this post, and they are obviously looking to make a lot of money with this microtransaction model.  If they took away the ability to sell gems for gold, that would drastically decrease the demand for gems and thus ANet would make less money.

This is the part I really don't get... how did the fanboi's allow themselves to believe that Anet had anything but profit as their motive for every single aspect oft his game?  This game exists to produce money, nothing more.  It will be designed in a way that will bring them as much money as they can get.  That's just how business works, and worshiping ANET like demigods does not change that.

Business are about money and nobody should ever forget that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• zinkerzzinkerz Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by drumchannell

So you can purchase gems with money, that can be traded for gold in game. If I'm reading this correctly, this gives advantage to players who spend real money as opposed to those who don't.

it only offers you more in game currency, the more people that buy to try and sell gems the price drops. It will balance itself out. Also what on earth with a gold amount even get you in game? Guild influence? You can get it just as easily grouping with guildies.

Let's use WoW as an example because they have a very active AH and I think GW2's AH will be just as active. When I left WoW I have EVERY buyable in game luxury I could, except for the later buyable TCG items just because they weren't for sale on my server. I still had several hundred thousand gold just laying around doing nothing.. there was nothing to spend it on. This is what will happen once the economy settles.. they might get an advantage 2-3 weeks from release when people have farmed enough in game cash to have enough money to make actually selling the gems worth it to those that bought them for resale.

I see no issue in the long run and very little in the beginning. Please don't worry your pretty little heads over something as benign as this RMT setup. To give a bad example of a similar set up you have Runes of Magic's (diamonds?) where VERY few of the currency bought is tradeable in game and the price in game is sky high. It is a problem because there is a lack of currency, not because it is actually buyable with in game money.

Exactly...I agree completely.

Originally posted by Onomic

Well I'm not happy with this at all.  You can trade real money for in-game gold which essentailly means that you can buy anything that can be bought with real money.  And the way I see it, this only has two potential outcomes:

1.  Nothing you can buy with gold makes any real difference in terms of the power of your character.  And this would suck because it would mean there is basically no economy and crafting would be useless.  I mean, people aren't going to pay for something that doesn't do anything.

OR

2.  You can gain an advantage over other players by spending real money.  Since real money can be traded for gold...that means you can buy ANYTHING i the AH with real money.  And if items actually make a difference in the "power" of your character, you can gain an advantage by buying them.

I honestly don't see how Mike O'Brien espouses their mantra of "no player should ever be able to spend money to gain an advantage over another player that spent time" and then he goes on to say that essentailly any item in the AH can be bought with real money.

Huh??????

It means either the AH is completely irrelevant, or players can gain an advantage over other players by spending money.  These are the ONLY two things that could result.

They have said from day one that they would add dungeons in the cash shop

Unless people can buy cash shop gems for gold they would be forced pay with real life money or miss the bonus content.

It has disadvantage for sure but i personaly cant think of a better idea if you want people to access your store without useing money.

Buying cash shop gems for gold is not the problem.  Buying gold for cash shop gems IS.  If ANet just sold their gems for an exorbitant amount of gold ala LoL, that would be fine (and that's your better idea too).  But that's not what they are doing.

They are allowing PLAYERS to sell REAL MONEY for GOLD.  This means players can use that gold to buy stuff in the AH, which will likely make them more powerful.  This means the game is at least partially P2W.

@Onomic no they haven't they said they were open to it IF it was a (crap cannot remember the EXACT wording nor can I find the damned post by Anet) reasonable?? thing to do. They also said content, not dungeons which more than likely would be questchians or in GW2 setup some sort of extended personal story.

Ok they have never said its garantee, but it was mention a long time ago and is mention in that blog.

Im willing to place a bet on me beeing right.

Is you being RIGHT what this is all about?  Is it that you need some kind of recognition from us on that?

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• People that say its P2W are no-brainers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roezz View Post

I'm going to buy the game, and don't mind the system actually. I respectfully disagree, in fairness. 

What the poster said does matter if you are PvE oriented and want to play the market. People who chose to spend money for gems will get gold up front and have crafting materials, or anything that can be traded quicker.

No, the gold is coming from other players, so somebody must have enough gold to be willing to sell it.

Hey buying Plex with in-game currency (isk) is what allows CCP to bloat how many subs and concurrent players they have!

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I think I'm going to spend exactly 14.99 per month on microtransactions just so I can argue with people on these boards that GW2 is really a subscription game...

LOL

and I'm going to spend 15.01 per month just so I can say the game is overpriced.

Then maybe I'll spend.. like 5.99 a month and come to this site and say that it's the cheapest subscription based MMO in teh worldsz

I'll buy for 199,- 

Lifetime sub, you fools!

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Hey buying Plex with in-game currency (isk) is what allows CCP to bloat how many subs and concurrent players they have!

No boasting required. Every active account has been payed for, one way or another. From CCPs point of view, it doesn't make a lick of a difference whether your month was payed with a sub or with PLEX.

Originally posted by Naqaj

I'll buy for 199,- 

Lifetime sub, you fools!

Hey you buy the CE you'll only have 49 more to spend to get up to that lifetime sub level!

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

You guys need to note that special pvpand pve items are still exclusive to players who actually play the game. Karma (pve) and glory (pvp) with which you can buy elite items are not tradeable currencies.

What I'm more worried about is influence. You can upgrade stuff for your guild when in WvW, Influence can be also bought with in-game money and in-game money with gems. They need to change that.

Eat me!

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Zacs

People that say its P2W are no-brainers...

Quote:

I'm going to buy the game, and don't mind the system actually. I respectfully disagree, in fairness. 

What the poster said does matter if you are PvE oriented and want to play the market. People who chose to spend money for gems will get gold up front and have crafting materials, or anything that can be traded quicker.

No, the gold is coming from other players, so somebody must have enough gold to be willing to sell it.

And when you earn your 1st 2-3 gold, and the next guy does too, and the 3rd guy as well, all agree to buy your mats from the guy who bought his from the cash shop...He now has hundreds of gold and you got........a few gold worth of mats.

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by waynejr2

Well I'm not happy with this at all.  You can trade real money for in-game gold which essentailly means that you can buy anything that can be bought with real money.  And the way I see it, this only has two potential outcomes:

1.  Nothing you can buy with gold makes any real difference in terms of the power of your character.  And this would suck because it would mean there is basically no economy and crafting would be useless.  I mean, people aren't going to pay for something that doesn't do anything.

OR

2.  You can gain an advantage over other players by spending real money.  Since real money can be traded for gold...that means you can buy ANYTHING i the AH with real money.  And if items actually make a difference in the "power" of your character, you can gain an advantage by buying them.

I honestly don't see how Mike O'Brien espouses their mantra of "no player should ever be able to spend money to gain an advantage over another player that spent time" and then he goes on to say that essentailly any item in the AH can be bought with real money.

Huh??????

It means either the AH is completely irrelevant, or players can gain an advantage over other players by spending money.  These are the ONLY two things that could result.

Unless people can buy cash shop gems for gold they would be forced pay with real life money or miss the bonus content.

It has disadvantage for sure but i personaly cant think of a better idea if you want people to access your store without useing money.

Buying cash shop gems for gold is not the problem.  Buying gold for cash shop gems IS.  If ANet just sold their gems for an exorbitant amount of gold ala LoL, that would be fine (and that's your better idea too).  But that's not what they are doing.

They are allowing PLAYERS to sell REAL MONEY for GOLD.  This means players can use that gold to buy stuff in the AH, which will likely make them more powerful.  This means the game is at least partially P2W.

@Onomic no they haven't they said they were open to it IF it was a (crap cannot remember the EXACT wording nor can I find the damned post by Anet) reasonable?? thing to do. They also said content, not dungeons which more than likely would be questchians or in GW2 setup some sort of extended personal story.

Ok they have never said its garantee, but it was mention a long time ago and is mention in that blog.

Im willing to place a bet on me beeing right.

Is you being RIGHT what this is all about?  Is it that you need some kind of recognition from us on that?

really??? if you cant put 2+2 and get 4 i cant help. But dont get supriced when those are in the store.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by StriderXed

How bout we post some solutions we would  like to see instead. 

Take away the ability to buy gems with in game gold and vice versa..

Problem Solved.

Yeah or just let players buy gems with gold from ANet only.  Don't let players buy gems from other players...problem solved.

But ANet will not do that.  They showed their hand with this post, and they are obviously looking to make a lot of money with this microtransaction model.  If they took away the ability to sell gems for gold, that would drastically decrease the demand for gems and thus ANet would make less money.

Why should those that cannot afford the cash shop items be left out? Still waiting for you to comment on my post regarding economy.

Really, I don't see a problem with leaving people out of new content if they refuse to pay for it.  I mean, that's how it always has been in games...you have to pay money for the expansion.

That said though, if ANet allowed players to buy cash shop gems with real gold from ANet ONLY...then this would allow non-cash shop purchasers to get new content and would NOT make the game P2W.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

OR

Huh??????

@Creslin I am surprised you have such an issue, read my previous post it touches on your issue I think. To extend my previous thoughts, wouldn't you rather have players selling to players instead of players selling or buying from gold selling sites promoting some sort of farming and spamming in game?

Not really.  The difference here is legitimacy.  Buying from a third party site is completely outside of the game and is usually bannable.  Even though some people do it, those people are usually in the minority and many of them do get caught and banned.

Once you make the RM gold trade a part of the actual game, it becomes entirely legitimate.  It will become part of the GW2 experience and something that most "typical" players do.

It's kind of like legalizing drugs.  Yeah, people still do drugs when they are illegal, but there are much less people smoking crack or shooting heroin than there are drinking booze and there is a reason for that.

Actually, I think drugs should be decriminalized, but that's for another forum.

It will be legit but it's not 100% clear what people will get that will be a game breaker.  In any case, just because you buy gold in a game doesn't make it certain that I won't have fun playing it.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Quote:

And when you earn your 1st 2-3 gold, and the next guy does too, and the 3rd guy as well, all agree to buy your mats from the guy who bought his from the cash shop...He now has hundreds of gold and you got........a few gold worth of mats.

buy what? materials... they never said they were selling mats and I doubt they will. You guys are REALLY stretching things now.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Quote:

buy what? materials... they never said they were selling mats and I doubt they will. You guys are REALLY stretching things now.

If you can sell mats on the AH, you can buy them with real money.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Xzen

Fun to watch people that dont understand how Guild Wars gear works crying "P2W!"

I think it'd be more productive to provide examples and reasons than simply baiting others.

I'd be very curious to see how Guild Wars gear works and how that will effect the microtransactions and such.

PVE gear is level based far as wearining it, no one can't even pay to win say pvp itself, wvwvw is the same way as if your rich in PVE you can just buy it, but still able to get your ass whooped, you can't buy your self to max level lol, you can feel rich but unless it gives you unlimited health or if the power plateu kept rising that'd be a p2w process.

You'll look better, but yo you won't be able to for example get a power those who don't pay rl money won't have, meaning I'm still able to beat dat ass if even though you bout a nice looking armor set in game or out of game.

Way the system is set up, you'll be able to get to shit instantly but won't be able to be king of the hill instantly.

I mean in games where gear matter then sure this'd be pay to win but the strongest armor is just the strongest looking, I mean people can find loop holes but dat ass is still viable for spanking regardless, so much for winning.

Dungeon gear? I wish those luck tryin to buy that and even that's cosmectic itself lol

Ish is amusing, in order to make money this makes sense, one can be stupid and waste his money and still get his ass whoop, even a group who try the same shit,buy shit and try to zerg dungeons that aren't even able to be zerged themselves. Scaling? Wtf

Wait so I just get access to looking cool faster than those experiencing the game first wait what?

I can't 1 hit k.o anyone? What a waste of money...

You'll legitly loose your experience lol, but you won't gain shit to actually win, unlike most games your goin to experience lost no matter how much money you put or time.

Dhuuum

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

No boasting required. Every active account has been payed for, one way or another. From CCPs point of view, it doesn't make a lick of a difference whether your month was payed with a sub or with PLEX.

Would you sign up for a game where you knew going in, that while it wasn't 100% needed, it's kinda expected that in order to play at the game's "baseline" you'll need multiple accounts and multiboxing? And not a whole lot else about it?

It's a tough pill to swallow. I'd want to hide that from any potential new blood.

Originally posted by waynejr2

It will be legit but it's not 100% clear what people will get that will be a game breaker.  In any case, just because you buy gold in a game doesn't make it certain that I won't have fun playing it.

Also, have to remember, anything that is legit and official can be controlled and regulated.

Anet can and probably will easily manipulate/control the in-game-gold cost of purchasing diamonds or whatever in order to combat inflation and the problem of non-microtransaction folk being "trickled down" out of the game.

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

LOL

I'll buy for 199,- 
    Lifetime sub, you fools!

But...but...that will cost to much!!!
    What about the money I already put aside to carebear the Diablo 3 RMAH???
    GW2 is a totally different game, will bring world peace, never ending awesome competitive and balanced pvp, cure cancer while playing, all for free and forever, amirite?
  • malilimamalilima Member Posts: 6

This is what I think...

Rich people can buy time (personal banker, pvp glory, guild influence...), gold (all items from marketplace), additional character slots, vanity items, convenience items and who know what else with cash.

Poor people will have to grind and sell on marketplace. When they earn some gold they can buy gems (cash shop items).

It will be interesting to see how will ArenaNet setup all this. It will be hard to balance.

Quote:

Man people love to nitpick on semantics while missing the point or context.

It's not about mats! It's about trade.

CAN A PLAYER GET AN ADVANTAGE OVER OTHERS BY USING THE CASH SHOP?

that's all I want to know. If you can...in any way....the game is P2W

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

CCP's success with EVE really chaps your ass, huh. I wouldn't let it get to ya, though, it's just a video game. With or without your oh so desired recognition and approval the game will continue to have a very healthy population.

Good luck.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Quote:

Man people love to nitpick on semantics while missing the point or context.

It's not about mats! It's about trade.

CAN A PLAYER GET AN ADVANTAGE OVER OTHERS BY USING THE CASH SHOP?

that's all I want to know. If you can...in any way....the game is P2W

No they can't