Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glad they sent me a free 7 day trial

124»

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by minime2

No sounds are still missing ,  and chat is just whoever is in the same instance as you upto 250 in fleet oh and just to clarify i have 2 lvl 50 characters on starstorm one .

Wrong. Chat is for the whole zone across all instances. We used chat in Ilum to decide which instance to transfer to for Republic kills.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by dibban

I wonder how many post like this gw2 Will get...

Heaps. While PvP endgame for GW2 will be strong, I think many PvE MMOers will get bored.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Jonnas13

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

Made it to a level 10 Bounty hunter. Thats all i could take.

Questing simply got repetitive. Didn't help the environments were lifeless and dull. So dam quiet everywhere! Mobs are static in 3's. And quick respawn got on my nerves. Got a shuttle to the imperial fleet. Couldn't believe how quiet this 'supposed' main social hub was. Everywhere was just dead.

I salute you guys who made it to 50. I haven't the willpower to subject myself to this.  

Annoys me that there was so much potential for a great interactive Star Wars Universe. After 7 years of development and they produce this???? I'll quote John Macenroe 'You cannot be serious.'

On a hunch i decided to check out you post history. Every post you have made in the last 4 months with the exception of 3 were bashing SWTOR. Thats fine of course but what worries me is that you seem to have completely forgotten the beta you took part in and presumably playing it post launch too as your posts try to make out.

Post history is a bitch huh.

Well played Jonnas13.  Post history can indeed bite you in the butt.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Moaky07

Originally posted by elocke

Exactly.  I'm not blunt to be mean, just to be honest and get to the point.  It tends to rub people wrong because they are used to living or talking to people who lie or pretend to be nice.  I'm a pretty laid back guy and would rather laugh than argue, but I'm not afraid to share my opinion.  My wife has gotten used to me, took her awhile but she did.  Now when I say dinner wasn't that good, she doesn't get as upset.  Heheh.

I dont believe it.

If you bitch at someone daily that you dont like something that they do, eventually they are going to tell you to STFU, or simply quit communicating with ya.

The next time you dont like your wife's cooking, I suggest you tell her daily that you dont like it. We will see how long she keeps cooking for ya, or just flat out divorces ya. Which is the point some of us are at with the complaints of TOR. We heard ya the first time.

Are you assuming I don't praise her when it's good?  I do.  Just saying, most people don't tell their wives it's bad when it's bad due to some odd fear of reprisal.  I expect her to tell me I made something good or bad just the same.

As your allusion to TOR and hearing us complain over and over.  Well, when my wife makes the same dinner over and over that I don't like, I sure will tell her each time how bad it is until she either makes me something else or warns me in advance that she is making the dinner I loathe.  Then I can take proper action on getting myself something better.  In TOR's case, they keep saying come back, try this patch, etc.   but it still sucks.  So until it changes or I get something better, deal with it.

Once again I told ya what ya wouldnt do, and why ya wouldnt do it.

So what if TOR asked you back....did ya actually go? If ya didnt, then why ya still complaining? They arent going to magically turn this game into a sandbox, and unlike your wife making something different, you know for a fact this isnt going to happen with TOR. You going to ask your wife to turn into another woman ya desire?  Hell even simply continue bitching  to her that you dont like something that cant be changed.....no you wont period.

That bird isnt going to fly, just the same as TOR being NGEed into a sandbox. If you think it will, I am sure there is an in-law ya dont like, best friend, or whatever.....keep on about it daily like ya do here over a game.

Thus your explanation is rather weak IMO.

Like I said, no one in real life would listen to the crap being pulled on these boards daily. The anonymity is the only reason you guys do it. We heard about the PRECioUs for over 5 yrs, and now it is simply something else.

So I will leave it at that.

And once again you fail to understand that these forums are here for people to air their views on the created threads, this is a general MMO site, if you don't like hearing hearing different views to your own, then you have a number of options, it's fairly straightforward.
  • ODrifterODrifter Member Posts: 18

i had the same experience to the teeth as the OP

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by spizz

this is not starwars lol

^^

It feels about as Star Wars as a big non star warsy thing.   I find this pretty ironic as the whole premise of SWTOR was for you to be THE hero in the SW universe and not Uncle Owen.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I only did the Weekend Trial but, I would definitely not say it was not an awful experience at all. It is slightly disappointing considering development time and money spent creating the game, but it is neither the worst Star Wars game nor the worst MMORPG.

It is better than average but not in my top 5 MMORPGs (those would be in no order of preference EVE, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, and DAoC).

It sounds like OP is pining for SWG with its open-world exploration, fewer limits and community. Even post-NGE, these were intact though the community was much smaller. I think that a lot of gripes are from players who wish this were SWG2.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I only did the Weekend Trial but, I would definitely not say it was not an awful experience at all. It is slightly disappointing considering development time and money spent creating the game, but it is neither the worst Star Wars game nor the worst MMORPG.

It is better than average but not in my top 5 MMORPGs (those would be in no order of preference EVE, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, and DAoC).

It sounds like OP is pining for SWG with its open-world exploration, fewer limits and community. Even post-NGE, these were intact though the community was much smaller. I think that a lot of gripes are from players who wish this were SWG2.

Kind of getting tired of the continuous complaints that the reason people don't like certain features etc, is because it is not like it was in X game etc. it is disingenous, the problems with SW;TOR are numerous and have been fairly comprehensively listed, players who are disatissified are largely not hoping for SWG2 or whatever, what they were hoping for was a cohesive game with a good MMO experience, and that is largely where SW;TOR falls down, it doesnt have 'vibrant' worlds that feel alive and exciting, they are dull and lifeless, with very few exceptions. Grouping, a feature that should be a basic MMO staple, is ignored to the point of neglect. What the game offers is mostly a solo experience, unless your lucky enough to be playing with friends, at which point Cooperative gameplay actually improves the game dramatically, but without decent grouping functions, this game is for the most part, a lifeless single player experience, thats not something that is going to make the game a success.image

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by jdnewell

Questing simply got repetitive. Didn't help the environments were lifeless and dull. So dam quiet everywhere! Mobs are static in 3's. And quick respawn got on my nerves. Got a shuttle to the imperial fleet. Couldn't believe how quiet this 'supposed' main social hub was. Everywhere was just dead.

I salute you guys who made it to 50. I haven't the willpower to subject myself to this.  

Annoys me that there was so much potential for a great interactive Star Wars Universe. After 7 years of development and they produce this???? I'll quote John Macenroe 'You cannot be serious.'

Oh but they are serious.

And apparently 1.7 million " active subscribers" love it. According to the PR spin at least.

This phenomenon is pretty much everywhere. Hence the huge success of Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, and the ongoing growth and success of McDonalds.

But as long as people like it and continue to pay for it then they will keep making it. Capitalism, free market and all that.

WTF does McDonalds Lady Gaga and Britney Spears have to do with SWTOR and their apparent report of 1.7 million active subs ???  I'm serious, WTF are you trying to say -- whats your point ? 

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Quote on "lifeless world": I played the trial myself and this is true. Heck even ANARCHY ONLINE which was released in 2001 has even now a better environmental feeling than SWToR.

There you guys see how important it is to fill a game with handcrafted landscapes, realistic environmental sounds, believable flora and fauna.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by MurlockDance

Kind of getting tired of the continuous complaints that the reason people don't like certain features etc, is because it is not like it was in X game etc. it is disingenous, the problems with SW;TOR are numerous and have been fairly comprehensively listed, players who are disatissified are largely not hoping for SWG2 or whatever, what they were hoping for was a cohesive game with a good MMO experience, and that is largely where SW;TOR falls down, it doesnt have 'vibrant' worlds that feel alive and exciting, they are dull and lifeless, with very few exceptions. Grouping, a feature that should be a basic MMO staple, is ignored to the point of neglect. What the game offers is mostly a solo experience, unless your lucky enough to be playing with friends, at which point Cooperative gameplay actually improves the game dramatically, but without decent grouping functions, this game is for the most part, a lifeless single player experience, thats not something that is going to make the game a success.image

Exactly.  I agree completely.  SWTOR was worse 60 bucks i ever spent in my life, and the first mmorpg i bought without experiencing a trial.  Was a good lesson though.  SWTOR is a bad mmorpg.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Originally posted by Jonnas13

On a hunch i decided to check out you post history. Every post you have made in the last 4 months with the exception of 3 were bashing SWTOR. Thats fine of course but what worries me is that you seem to have completely forgotten the beta you took part in and presumably playing it post launch too as your posts try to make out.

Post history is a bitch huh.

Nice

These are starting to become a weekly occurance. The haters really need to start getting new material because we've heard their gripes so many times that  anyone can detect their shenanigans withing a few lines.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Six of my long lasting Belgium friends went to play this game, for the first month they lived and breathed it... nothing could go wrong in their head with this game.. they almost plotted out the next 2 years of gaming and starting building a social group in Belgium around SWTOR.. 3 months in to the game I caught up with them, thinking they would be still loving it and @ end game progressing into raids and world Bosses... ONLY to find they are all playing WoW again.. not one of my 6 belgium friends play it anymore.. 6 people went, build a community of over 30 Dutch SWTOR players and only 2 still play.... I feel sorry for BioWare and even though they developed it I still feel if you place EA in the driving seat this is the shite you will end up with.. 

I also played this game for just under one month.. Level 45 and Level 34 with a few level 10-20 alts and my personal SWTOR Saga was all over..

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by minime2

No sounds are still missing ,  and chat is just whoever is in the same instance as you upto 250 in fleet oh and just to clarify i have 2 lvl 50 characters on starstorm one .

Wrong. Chat is for the whole zone across all instances. We used chat in Ilum to decide which instance to transfer to for Republic kills.

actually try looking again my friend your wrong ,  go stand in fleet for an hour and show me chat from ilum players .  You see any let me know i haven't , also go to Ilum and show screenie of fleet chat on that planet .

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by RefMinor

Exactly.  I'm not blunt to be mean, just to be honest and get to the point.  It tends to rub people wrong because they are used to living or talking to people who lie or pretend to be nice.  I'm a pretty laid back guy and would rather laugh than argue, but I'm not afraid to share my opinion.  My wife has gotten used to me, took her awhile but she did.  Now when I say dinner wasn't that good, she doesn't get as upset.  Heheh.

I dont believe it.

If you bitch at someone daily that you dont like something that they do, eventually they are going to tell you to STFU, or simply quit communicating with ya.

The next time you dont like your wife's cooking, I suggest you tell her daily that you dont like it. We will see how long she keeps cooking for ya, or just flat out divorces ya. Which is the point some of us are at with the complaints of TOR. We heard ya the first time.

Are you assuming I don't praise her when it's good?  I do.  Just saying, most people don't tell their wives it's bad when it's bad due to some odd fear of reprisal.  I expect her to tell me I made something good or bad just the same.

As your allusion to TOR and hearing us complain over and over.  Well, when my wife makes the same dinner over and over that I don't like, I sure will tell her each time how bad it is until she either makes me something else or warns me in advance that she is making the dinner I loathe.  Then I can take proper action on getting myself something better.  In TOR's case, they keep saying come back, try this patch, etc.   but it still sucks.  So until it changes or I get something better, deal with it.

Once again I told ya what ya wouldnt do, and why ya wouldnt do it.

So what if TOR asked you back....did ya actually go? If ya didnt, then why ya still complaining? They arent going to magically turn this game into a sandbox, and unlike your wife making something different, you know for a fact this isnt going to happen with TOR. You going to ask your wife to turn into another woman ya desire?  Hell even simply continue bitching  to her that you dont like something that cant be changed.....no you wont period.

That bird isnt going to fly, just the same as TOR being NGEed into a sandbox. If you think it will, I am sure there is an in-law ya dont like, best friend, or whatever.....keep on about it daily like ya do here over a game.

Thus your explanation is rather weak IMO.

Like I said, no one in real life would listen to the crap being pulled on these boards daily. The anonymity is the only reason you guys do it. We heard about the PRECioUs for over 5 yrs, and now it is simply something else.

So I will leave it at that.

And once again you fail to understand that these forums are here for people to air their views on the created threads, this is a general MMO site, if you don't like hearing hearing different views to your own, then you have a number of options, it's fairly straightforward.

Then I suggest you follow your own advice.

He made the claim he could be "blunt" with his wife, and I told him he wouldnt pull the shit daily.

He was attempting to justify his posting style. I didnt ask him to do it. So when I respond, dont be a hypocrit about it. After all, I am entitled to my opinion.

Cheers

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I, too, fell for the free 7 day trial gimmick. I got one character to his ship. Oh wait. I cannot board my ship! That character is now done progressing. I was hoping to see more than I did during the 2 open beta weekends I participated in to see if the game got better, but I guess not.

Usually, free trials are time restricted OR level restricted. This gimmick has both! Maybe they are scared I'll play the whole game in 7 days and not subscribe? After 3 days, I am done with the trial and the game...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Loekii

I would say that generally is the question.

The critisims about the lifeless world, the quiet and the AI seems to be rather common.   I would be surprised to hear that this was never brought up during the short beta testing they did.     It seems that was dismissed or ignored by BW for some reason.

Also, I think the market has demonstrated how it reacts to lifeless worlds and AI, so again, not sure why BW went head long into that direction.

It was, but like alot of the beta feedback it was ingored.  Also there is a quote from a con last year that the lifeless static... err.. "cinematic" game world was a design choice not a budget or engine problem.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I, too, fell for the free 7 day trial gimmick. I got one character to his ship. Oh wait. I cannot board my ship! That character is now done progressing. I was hoping to see more than I did during the 2 open beta weekends I participated in to see if the game got better, but I guess not.

Usually, free trials are time restricted OR level restricted. This gimmick has both! Maybe they are scared I'll play the whole game in 7 days and not subscribe? After 3 days, I am done with the trial and the game...

Yep, they kinda hid that level 15 cap in the nobody ever reads FAQs. I went into like ohh boy a free game and ATM i have the free time and bet I can clear this single player 'game' in 7 days.  I LOL'd so hard when I hit level 15 and came to a hault with XP.

It was still pleanty of play time to confirm TOR is no MMO by a long shot.