Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: The Zones & Tone of Pandaria

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Blizzard Entertainment and the World of Warcraft development team are ready to unleash the hounds of information for the recently announced Mists of Pandaria expansion. In a full suite of articles about Pandaria, we first present a general overview. Read on and then leave your comments.

The overarching theme behind World of Warcraft's newest expansion, Mists of Pandaria isn't one of simply extending content, refurbishment, or just increasing the level cap once more. Sure, all of these things are there.  Scarlet Monastery and Scholomance are both being overhauled like Deadmines was, and the cap is rising to 90, and there are going to be seven new zones to explore on Pandaria itself. There are also nine new heroics and three raids for players to look forward to, as well as two new battlegrounds. And I haven't even mentioned the redesign of the talent system, the addition of scenarios, and the pet battle system... oh and that brand new class in the Monk and the new race of the Pandarens.  What does all this add up to? Well, as we were told countless times during the trip to their Irvine, California offices: the focus this time is about expanding the options for everyone in Azeroth. And more than this, the team also seeks to return the focus of Warcraft back to the actual war between the Alliance and the Horde. In short: Mists of Pandaria is trying to bring back the old days of WoW, and from what we were shown last week it just might do that.

Read more of Bill Murphy's World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria: The Zones & Tone of Pandaria.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

What i dont like about mists of pandarea is pandas.If they remove this race it will be a success.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

yeah i'd like to know some useful info like if they plan on taking 1.5 to 2 years to release because if so then forget it by then expansions from 2012 released games will be out. :)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Couldn't they at least try to increase their graphics to attract players? I am getting sick of WoWs ever increasing out-dated graphics, that and repetitive, ever increasing casualized gameplay.

MoP will probably be worse than Cata.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

WoW is cattered to a younger audience. You guys are just to old now for WoW.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    The female panda is ugly, hope they change it soon. They can in fact just remove female panda in this game ....

so I guess the release date will be end of next year?

RIP Orc Choppa

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Couldn't they at least try to increase their graphics to attract players? I am getting sick of WoWs ever increasing out-dated graphics, that and repetitive, ever increasing casualized gameplay.

They have already made major improvements to the engine over the last 2-3 years.

The engine is reaching the end of its capabilities.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

You cant fail with wow in any aspect. I think this expansion will be the best one and wow will survive as top dog for more years. You always go back to wow  becouse it is alpha and omega of mmorpg

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Sounds great.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

I like what i've read so far and I havent played wow in a while. I also can't seem to get to the 2nd section of the article.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Graphics are not out dated, for the look blizzard has gone for they are bang on.  Just cus it does not look like BF3 or Crisis does not mean the graphics are out dated, you just dont like the style. 

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Well I just showed my wife, she thinks the Female Pandas are so cute!

Guess ill be playing MoP XD

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

WoW becoming World of Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks... ?

Haha, you guys are way too old for this game now...

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Garrosh = final boss and the new race female isn't hypersexualized and ridiculous compared to her male counterpart? Awesome!

Still not enough to make me resub, but both pieces of news brought a smile to my face.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Really, it is not cool in any way.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Originally posted by tachgb

If you're implying that Blizzard is copying Kung Fu Panda, perhaps you didn't know that Pandarens existed in Warcraft lore since Warcraft 3 from 2002. Perhaps Dreamworks copied Blizzard, eh?

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by reignjuste

What i dont like about mists of pandarea is pandas.If they remove this race it will be a success.

Why? and how is it any more ridiculous than asuras in GW2 and papori in Tera? Panda is what goin to make this a success. I remember how much players wanted them as a playable race since Blizzard introduced them as a cannon in warcraft series.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by jonrd463

If you're implying that Blizzard is copying Kung Fu Panda, perhaps you didn't know that Pandarens existed in Warcraft lore since Warcraft 3 from 2002. Perhaps Dreamworks copied Blizzard, eh?

They were a joke back then though.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by jonrd463

They were a joke back then though.

WOW has always been a light hearted MMO which is full of pop culture references. pandas fit in perfectly with the theme.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by Ankur

Why? and how is it any more ridiculous than asuras in GW2 and papori in Tera? Panda is what goin to make this a success. I remember how much players wanted them as a playable race since Blizzard introduced them as a cannon in warcraft series.

Nice said-- 10+

• SporinSporin Member Posts: 18

Lol. Great if your a girl I guess. What next blue goats in... Ahh nm, they got it already! ;)

Originally posted by Sporin

Lol. Great if your a girl I guess. What next blue goats in... Ahh nm, they got it already! ;)

Yeah only girls play WOW, GW2 and Tera...

*rolls eyes*

• trikkitrikki Member Posts: 58

Blizz  is going all the way to completely sabotage this game,althouht they have done it several years ago.This MoP joke reminds me the Tauren paladin lore.U cant get better comedy anywhere.

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

This is ecxiting, imo!

Haters gonna hate. I can't wait to play.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Glad to see they didn't pull a Worgen with the females, I knew they were going to try an make them "sexy" but was hoping they wouldn't cross the line between cute and sexy, thankfully that seems to be the case. Most importantly they still look chubby which is how the Pandaren should look. I just hope they stick with the look and don't make them anorexic down the road.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Why should they remove them its not like pandarens are new to the warcraft universe. As a matter of fact im surprised it took them this long to get them into the game. They are the actual brewmasters. Not dwarfs or goblins. They are actually one of the races im glad they are finnally bringing into the game. Worgan made almost no sense and on top of that they half assed them at least blizzard is trying this time around.