Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honest opinions of Rift

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I never tried this game, however I have been hearing alot about it lately.  I know that it shares alot of similarities with WAR [ Which is one of my favorite games of all time]  so I could possibly be interested in trying it out sometime.  I'd like to no a little more about it though like how fun is the leveling [ boring WoW grind? I hope not ] , how is the end game progression and pvp? Things like that.

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

War and Rift aren't very similiar.

I was super hyped for war, however I didn't stay around long.

Wasn't aware of Rift until closed beta and haven't stopped playing since.

Rift is a PVE game, so if you're a pvp junkie you probably won't be around for the long haul. 

Do not misunderstand me about the PVP, it's fun and I use it to level up alts. 

What suprised me was how intuned the game was when I bought it, compared to AoC and WAR.

If you're curious about playing download the trial. 

Rift

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I think Rift is a solid within the mainstream. That means pve with instanced pvp. It's certainly a themepark.

End game, from my brief experience of it, is gearing up, running dungeons, raiding, rifts, dailies, etc. I think there is a lot of variety within those options. If that's what you like, Rift will give you that. I found leveling 1 or 2 times  okay. That means it wasn't boring to me, but some people said it was for them. 

Bottom line for me is that it's my favorite themepark game. I'm not going to say it's better than WoW or SWTOR because, within themeparks, they have their differences.

I would like to know what you loved about WAR sprecifically. The pve in Rift is like it should have been in WAR. But the  pvp is way different.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Main similarity to War is the same engine, also that Rifts are like upgraded PQs from War.

I found the classes to be mostly a mix of EQ2 and WoW though, as far as themes, just my opinion.

I didn't jump in on this one, but it is not bad and I can see why people would pick it and stick with it :)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Been playing alot lately have to say that if you are a pvp'er this isn't really for you because of the gear vs skill thing.

if you are a pve'er who enjoys that standard model for random events and regular question go for it.

the only complaint i have is the enormous amount of end game points needed for gear. It's insane the amount of time it would take and the number of rifts you need to close to just get the gear you need.

but if you're a raider go for it. :) This game really isn't suited much for casuals.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Rift is all in all pretty solid, it all depends on what you are looking for.

What's good on Rift in my opinion:

- Graphics are ok (though not jaw-dropping),

- many different playstyles for each class,

- no major bugs.

What I don't like about Rift:

- only four classes

- no choice on where to walk, you have for each faction one path to follow

- whenever I played the game, there was nothing going on in communication between the players. Say a "hey, how are you guys doing?" in the general chat in a major zone, and most of the time you get nothing back. The game feels often like single player. You see once in a while another player, but whether they exist or not is mostly irrelevant

- nothing really new

Doesn't cost anything to try, so go ahead.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Levelling

Rift is about as themepark as an MMORPG can get. Extremely linear questing that kind of branches off around level 38 and the quest themselves a kind of meh... The Rifts (similar to WAR's Public Quests) help break up the monotony of questing but are only most effective during the Zone Wide Invasions; which can be anywhere between really fun or really annoying (if they happen too often or kill your quest NPCs).

PvE Endgame

Pretty typical. Once you hit level cap you'll spend most of your time queuing up for Expert dungeons and participating in Zone Wide Events, in certain zones. All to gear up your character for 10-man & 20-man Raids. It can be fairly easy to get into a pug raid, but not all of them are puggable.

PvP Engame

Doesn't matter if you're on a PvE or PvP server. Your endgame experience will ly in the Warfronts. Sure you can gank players in the open world, but doing so reaps no good rewards and there's no meaningful open world PvP (look for another game for that). So just queuing up for Instanced PvP, to get PvP gear, is what you'll end up doing the most. Never really got into the game's PvP, because it simply doesn't promote skill, just gear grinding. I do PvE for that.

I had fun with Rift, but maybe that's because I was new to MMORPGs and all this que queuing was fairly new to me. Also the Soul Tree System was a ton of fun to mes around with.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

ah i rememebr when i play rift i really have alot of fun and  there was dynamic event were 2 faction fight toguether to bring boss down then pvp when boss die   and to be hones  is a really good pve game but if you want try trial  imean gw2 coming on the way so i wount recomend the game  just wait a litter meanwile play the trial

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by dadante666

ah i rememebr when i play rift i really have alot of fun and  there was dynamic event were 2 faction fight toguether to bring boss down then pvp when boss die   and to be hones  is a really good pve game but if you want try trial  imean gw2 coming on the way so i wount recomend the game  just wait a litter meanwile play the trial

Yeah, PvP'ing during and after a Zone Wide Event, on a PvP server was always fun whilst levelling. However apart from that, there really wasn't much open world PvP going on, apart from level 50s ganking lowbies. So I'm waiting for GW2 as well. Seems to be the complete packcage.

• arjiarji Member UncommonPosts: 93

Similarities with WAR ? Only the Rifts that are similar with PQ's. Rift is the best WoW clone with A LOT different things to do, but you ll eventually reach the point to farm them.

An idea of the things to do are Rifts, Raid rifts, PvP rifts, Raids, 6 man instances, 2 man instances(chronicles), Bg's, Outdoor PvP quests(killing players, gathering materials at enemies territories). And the really great thing about Rift is the Class system that they have.

Imo if you enjoyed WoW and got bored of it and if u enjoy raids you can try it.

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

*The skill tree system is fun to play around with. You can make the classes fit you.

*The rifts thing is fun but gets old.

*The world has a lifeless felling to it.

*Even though it feels lifeless it is still fun to explore.

PVP is instanced. You can do open world but there really arn't any goals like war's open world pvp has so its mostly one on one random.

And most of the armor is ugly. Fortunatly female characters can wear some skimpy stuff that's not so ugly. Unforunatly male characters will just have to look ugly.  Did I meantion how ugly the armor in rift is?

It also makes your character look fat. I recommend a male plate armor character or female mage/chainmail for the least ugly options of armor. I recommend trying rift out just for the "wow that's the ugliest armor I've ever seen" factor.

Did I meantion how much I hate rift's armor artwork? It's not even realistic, or pretty, or even cool. I hope those dragons do win. Telara needs to be destoryed, the people dress so badly there. In fact I think the whole reason the dragons are attacking to to save the universe from Telara's clothing/armor. Go what's his name evil guy dragon of doom person! Save us from the rift armor!

Look there's an add for rift now BEHOLD THE UGLYEST HEADWEAR EVER TO GRACE A MMO! Who wouldn't like to wear an opera mask-cowboyhat combo?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

If you like themeparks with raiding and stuff - this game is propably best choice atm.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

I enjoy Rift, I am currently subbed. Although, I may be taking a break at the end of my sub. Not sure yet.

The game it most closely resebles is WoW, but unlike other clones, I personally feel it succeded in taking that style of MMO to the next level. Unfortunately, that's also it's biggest downfall. WoW has been done. So even though you might be doing things for the 1st time in Rift, there is this sense that it's the same thing you have been doing for years.

That said, I think it's definately worth a go.

I like to think of Rift as the game that WoW should have become.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by spacebot

*The skill tree system is fun to play around with. You can make the classes fit you.

*The rifts thing is fun but gets old.

*The world has a lifeless felling to it.

*Even though it feels lifeless it is still fun to explore.

PVP is instanced. You can do open world but there really arn't any goals like war's open world pvp has so its mostly one on one random.

And most of the armor is ugly. Fortunatly female characters can wear some skimpy stuff that's not so ugly. Unforunatly male characters will just have to look ugly.  Did I meantion how ugly the armor in rift is?

It also makes your character look fat. I recommend a male plate armor character or female mage/chainmail for the least ugly options of armor. I recommend trying rift out just for the "wow that's the ugliest armor I've ever seen" factor.

Did I meantion how much I hate rift's armor artwork? It's not even realistic, or pretty, or even cool. I hope those dragons do win. Telara needs to be destoryed, the people dress so badly there. In fact I think the whole reason the dragons are attacking to to save the universe from Telara's clothing/armor. Go what's his name evil guy dragon of doom person! Save us from the rift armor!

Look there's an add for rift now BEHOLD THE UGLYEST HEADWEAR EVER TO GRACE A MMO! Who wouldn't like to wear an opera mask-cowboyhat combo?

That's not armor, that's Wardrobe. Social only. It's a themed mask that fits in with the current Mardi Gras style world event going on.

While I agree that Rift armor is nothing special. It's not as bad as you make it out. Most of it is just bland looking.

But you also have to realize, If a game focus on the way armor looks, you end up with an evolution that eventually leads to shoulders that look like volcanoes with spewing lava and floating rocks hovering around them.

I'd rather it be on the plain side....and again, that's what social is for.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Master10K

Levelling

Rift is about as themepark as an MMORPG can get. Extremely linear questing that kind of branches off around level 38 and the quest themselves a kind of meh... The Rifts (similar to WAR's Public Quests) help break up the monotony of questing but are only most effective during the Zone Wide Invasions; which can be anywhere between really fun or really annoying (if they happen too often or kill your quest NPCs).

PvE Endgame

Pretty typical. Once you hit level cap you'll spend most of your time queuing up for Expert dungeons and participating in Zone Wide Events, in certain zones. All to gear up your character for 10-man & 20-man Raids. It can be fairly easy to get into a pug raid, but not all of them are puggable.

PvP Engame

Doesn't matter if you're on a PvE or PvP server. Your endgame experience will ly in the Warfronts. Sure you can gank players in the open world, but doing so reaps no good rewards and there's no meaningful open world PvP (look for another game for that). So just queuing up for Instanced PvP, to get PvP gear, is what you'll end up doing the most. Never really got into the game's PvP, because it simply doesn't promote skill, just gear grinding. I do PvE for that.

I had fun with Rift, but maybe that's because I was new to MMORPGs and all this que queuing was fairly new to me. Also the Soul Tree System was a ton of fun to mes around with.

+1, it's a solid game for what it does, if a gamer is looking for a solo to cap then raid or die themepark with tacked on, gear grind instanced PvP then Rift is one of the best available.

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

It's nothing bad as I made out!? Were do you live. I want your eyeballs.

Do you understand the emotional truama that is rift armor//clothes whateverdoesntmatterit'swhatyourwearing!?

HUHH? DO YOU YOU BLIND PERSON! I bet your character could wear a pink unitard with scuba fins and a a cowboy hat with ski goggles and you would it's the awesomest rogue sneaky class ever. BUT HOLD THAT NEON PHONE. It's rather like a clown. My characters feel like clowns. Dark fanasty clowns. That is it that's what they were going for! RIFT MOCKS US! and you, you sit there and try to put up a defence. A weak one cause you know, KNOW, that rift is causing mental problems with its armor style. 

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

Do you understand the emotional truama that is rift armor//clothes whateverdoesntmatterit'swhatyourwearing!?

HUHH? DO YOU YOU BLIND PERSON! I bet your character could wear a pink unitard with scuba fins and a a cowboy hat with ski goggles and you would it's the awesomest rogue sneaky class ever. BUT HOLD THAT NEON PHONE. It's rather like a clown. My characters feel like clowns. Dark fanasty clowns. That is it that's what they were going for! RIFT MOCKS US! and you, you sit there and try to put up a defence. A weak one cause you know, KNOW, that rift is causing mental problems with its armor style. 

what?

Rift

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by GoodAfternoon

what?

This is the most hilarious thread i have ever read.   I thought i was a bit crazy, but feel fairly sane after reading this.  

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

It isn't that good, but not because of low quality as is the case with the other releases (War, ToR, AoC, LOTRO, Cata, et al) - but more because it's simply not a fun themepark scene.

Sandbox or GTFO.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

what?

I have to agree with GoodAfternoon, What? Is this a new language? spacebot you need to stop playing Rift and take a couple english classes. People including me make typos but this is crazy.

As for the armor in Rift, I actually like it. With the use of wardrobe and dyes you can make some really great looking armor combinations. As for the OP question my honest opinion is Rift is a wonderful game. However, it is geared more for the casual mmo player. It does have some features for the more hardcore but I think it was design for the casual but serious player. Rift is not perfect but it is fun, a challenge, and with Trions respect for customers it is a game that has earned some of my entertainment dollars. Rift is a solid game well polished and maintained, I would recommended it to anyone.

• gu357u53rgu357u53r Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by eccoton

what?

I have to agree with GoodAfternoon, What? Is this a new language? spacebot you need to stop playing Rift and take a couple english classes. People including me make typos but this is crazy.

As for the armor in Rift, I actually like it. With the use of wardrobe and dyes you can make some really great looking armor combinations. As for the OP question my honest opinion is Rift is a wonderful game. However, it is geared more for the casual mmo player. It does have some features for the more hardcore but I think it was design for the casual but serious player. Rift is not perfect but it is fun, a challenge, and with Trions respect for customers it is a game that has earned some of my entertainment dollars. Rift is a solid game well polished and maintained, I would recommended it to anyone.

Well one mistake he made really made me chuckle.  Dark Fanasty Clowns, and the hold the neon phone was quite silly.  Haha fa.. nasty  maybe we should coin that term to use instead of fantasy. You want to have a role play fanasty? ;)

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I enjoyed it until it became obvious you have to raid to enjoy the end game. There is no other option.

Yes, you can PvP, but you're gonna need some raid gear. At the least, a raid weapon. Also, I think most people find Rift PvP to be simple, boring, and very PvE focused. In fact, in Port Scion (level 50 WF) people rush to the PvE boss to kill him, and win in 3 minutes or less. That is what this WF has devolved into. No actual PvP.

There are only so many spots in a raid, and only so many guilds that raid.

Any guild that is progressed into HK is not going to want a newly rolled 50.

IMO, Rift does a poor job in getting new 50s into a position to join active raiding guilds. 

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I played it up to level 30 with some friends and I found it quite enjoyable. Probably still be playing it now but financial issues made it impossible for me to maintain my sub sadly. I played WoW and other such games for the last few years so Im not new to the scene but regardless I still found the game to be pretty enjoyable. I like how the dungeons were pretty interesting and fairly difficult in some aspects.

Definitely have to say that I had the most fun in MMO PVP in Rift. On the outside it may look like any other Battleground format but for some reason I found it greatly enjoyable. I played a healer so dungeon invites were quick. Rift has implemented some very nice quality of life changes. For example during a warfront, you are scaled up to the max level of your bracket so you arent useless unless you were near the top like in other mmo. AOE looting is another quality of life thing. 

Over all Id have to say the game didnt really bring anything new to the genre but added some nice quality of life changes that make the game more enjoyable.

Best wishes Saint

(Omg opinion based post)

• shamblurshamblur Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Golelorn

I enjoyed it until it became obvious you have to raid to enjoy the end game. There is no other option.

Yes, you can PvP, but you're gonna need some raid gear. At the least, a raid weapon. Also, I think most people find Rift PvP to be simple, boring, and very PvE focused. In fact, in Port Scion (level 50 WF) people rush to the PvE boss to kill him, and win in 3 minutes or less. That is what this WF has devolved into. No actual PvP.

IMO, Rift does a poor job in getting new 50s into a position to join active raiding guilds. 

The raid gear and pvp gear are both seperate grinds. If you use your raiding gear to pvp your not going to be as strong as you think because hit/focus/toughness is all useless even against the pve mobs. PVE mobs in warfronts are like town guards and are wearing pvp armor with valor and vengeance just like players. You need the gear with valor and vengeance to be useful in pvp. I use my lower dps and stats pvp bow(2nd tier) for the extra valor and vengeance because its better in pvp. If other players seem way better geared and you can't kill them try doing objectives instead in the warfronts.

Also for Port Scion. I have never been in a raid that lost or won in 3 minutes. I'm usually in there for about 10 minutes every time. Unfortunately many people do not know what they are doing in that warfront and like to sit at the flag.

All I'm trying to say is you don't need to raid there are other things to do. I have a friend who only does rifts and the rift events and he is very happy doing just that. He has all the planar gear and it doesn't really compare to the best raid gear but its plenty good for his style of play.

I've been playing Rift since it came out and my sub just ended so I'm taking a break for a while, but I definitely enjoyed the game. I'm hoping to see pvp lakes like WAR had at some point in Rift.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Golelorn

This is not the case at all.  As others have pointed out, raid gear is unwise in pvp warfronts.  You will need pvp gear, of which there are tiers.  In Port Scion many people are pvping, not simply going after the pve boss.  I know many guilds that do not raid at all, and mostly pvp or run zone events.  The pvp can be addicting in this game, but the truth remains it could go a lot deeper. While the warfronts are healthy and competetive, the open world pvp still needs more work.  

As far as the new 50s and raiding goes, I can't say.  Since my first character I primarily run warfronts, zone events, and instant adventures.  This keeps me busy for a bit :)  Will eventually start raiding if i get the time.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by shamblur
    If you use your raiding gear to pvp your not going to be as strong as you think because hit/focus/toughness is all useless even against the pve mobs.

While toughness is indeed useless and focus isn't much needed, hit actually does matter in PvP. Especially if you are a rogue. Moreover, HK relics simply have better stats than even the best PvP gear available in the game. This is especially true about weapons.

Originally posted by GrayGreene
    While the warfronts are healthy and competetive

Yeah. For example, healthy and competitive P40 premades will repeatedly beat you to a pulp w/o ever giving you any chance to fight back.

/facepalm

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).