Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Diablo 3 Delay Guild wars for many additional Months?

Comments

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

Diablo 3 doesn't even ship with pvp.  nuff said.

• bhimabhima Member Posts: 81

GW2 is such a more feature rich game than Diablo 3 let alone the fact that they are 2 totally different types of games. No, Anet couldn't care less when D3 releases though Runic should be (alas, it looks like TL2 won't launch before D3... BAD move on their part).

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Doubt it'll delay it.

I know I didn't make it into either beta so; I'm going to take my ball and go home. hmpf

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• fasaani500fasaani500 Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by RobertDinh

Diablo 3 doesn't even ship with pvp.  nuff said.

PVP never was extremely popular in D2 at launch either. Softcore side was PVP-based about a year after launch and only after 2002 there was organised tournaments.  I really hope most people would play HC, because that's where the excitement is (and zero duels, only annoying PK'ing).

I'm also glad that I don't have to be afraid of cheater PK's, who use glitches and bugs at launch to kill people illegitimately. I lost a few perfectly geared lvl 99 characters because of those TP-hack amazons who could turn PVP on in nanoseconds and use portals to shoot seeking missiles at people.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

This is an interesting story. Do you have any links for this or is this first-hand knowledge?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArenaNet

"The founders of ArenaNet were former employees of Blizzard Entertainment who played important roles in developing the highly successful video games Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Diablo II, and the Battle.net gaming network."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_Games

"ormed by Travis Baldree (creator of Fate), Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer (co-founders of Blizzard North), Peter Hu, and the Flagship Studios Seattle team responsible for Mythos."

And related to the above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship_Studios

"[...] founded by Bill Roper along with Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, and David Brevik, the original developers of Diablo and former high level Blizzard North executives."

And finally...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_North

"The resignations were partly due to a conflict with Blizzard Entertainment's owner, Vivendi, and partly due to employees wishing to start something new."

"The Blizzard North exodus continued on with around 30 employees leaving the company in total."

"On August 1, 2005, Blizzard Entertainment announced the closure of Blizzard North."

And, of course, Blizzard North was responsible for developing Daiblo I and Diablo II.

All true! It's right there for anyone to read.

I know about this because the whole saga was covered by a bunch of British gaming magazines. I mean, this is a fairly memorable event - the founders quit Blizzard North, due to being fed up with restrictions and the corporate atmosphere, this is then followed by a mass exodus of Blizzard North employees, following the aforementioned founders. Until, soon enough, Blizzard just had to consider Blizzard North dead.

Thanks for posting this! 

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by expresso

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

I wouldn't be torn at all.

Sorry Diablo III fans, keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but... I thought that Diablo III was pretty shit, to be honest. My time with it didn't yield much fun. It's just bascally a single-player WoW with some gimmicks (and they are gimmicks) tacked on. The novelty value of the gimmicks will wear off fast, then only the determined grinders will remain.

The problem with Diablo III (and I said this on another forum earlier) is that it's being created by a bunch of unknowns.

No, it really is. I know what I'm talking about.

Diablo died pretty much when Blizzard North, the people responsible for Diablo and Diablo II, left Blizzard. Blizzard North was a separate development house that worked under the Blizzard name, but when Blizzard started getting too corporate and pushy, to the point where they felt they were no longer allowed to spend the time and resources to make the quality games that they're known for, they just cut their losses and quit.

You'll love this next part.

Blizzard North then split up into two new development houses, bringing on extra people for their own divergent projects. These are two names that you may be familiar with:

ArenaNet and Runic Games.

Now we obviously know ArenaNet. Yes, some of the Diablo guys are there. And Runic Games are the people working on Torchlight II, which is looking absolutely phenomenal. And one great thing about Torchlight II is that they're priding themselves on not doing what Blizzard is doing, some examples being the monetised auction house and needing to be online to play a single-player game (both of which I think are bad).

So, yeah...

The guys who made the Diablo that I loved as a Diablo fan are no longer with Blizzard. They have a group of unknowns working on Diablo III and because of that Diablo III has become just WoW, just WoW. Single-player WoW, yes, but it's WoW through andt hrough. And I want Diablo, damn it, not WoW. But that's where Torchlight II comes in. Torchlight II is a spiritual successor to Diablo II and more Diablo than Diablo III will ever be.

So, yeah... I'm just going to give Diablo III a miss, it's not worth it.

Torchlight II however, along with Guild Wars 2, are way up on my 'to buy' list.

No this old story again, before blizzard north were known as blizzard north they were called condor and do you know what they approched blizzard with? well it was not Diablo as we know it was this;

Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/anniversary/

A plasticine, turned based dungeon crawler, Blizzard took the scraps and crafted it into Diablo as we know it.  The few guys who are in Runic and Anet are not the cream of Diablo, but feel free to think that.

TL2 is effectivly a clone of Diablo so I'll skip that but I'll give GW2 a try.

Btw this is what Guild Wars looked like 2 yrs before launch.

Image 2 

Now obviously the game didnt ship looking like this. My point is that im not going to deny that what you posted was early concept images presented to blizzard by those who would become blizzard north. Im not going to acuse you or your source at battlenet of lying. Im just pointing out that posting it is irrelevant since art assets are usually made a priority later on in development and that rough images during early concept periods are not uncommon. Obviously what "condor" was showing blizzard was not a finished product and both parties understood that. To attempt to use those images to disparage the ability of blizzard north is incredibly low given the context.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Frankly I think these two games could ship within weeks of each other with little to no impact simply because their perspective audiences are quite different. Yes D3 will pull MMOG players into it, but GW2 will pull just as many non-MMOG players into it as well. The two games are simply for different markets. It's like saying that Skyrim's sales would be impacted by Modern Warfare 3 if they released in the same month. It simply isn't the case.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by ariboersma

I highly doubt it, Diablo 3 has only 1 month, if that worth of content to keep you busy. GW2 will most likely already be coming out in mid June. Honestly I think it's lining up perfectly.

also dont set your sights too high on Diablo 3 you are liable to be disappointed. 

Torchlight 2 probably only has one month of content. 

D3, if it's anything like D2, will have tons of more hours of fun.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Originally posted by ariboersma

I highly doubt it, Diablo 3 has only 1 month, if that worth of content to keep you busy. GW2 will most likely already be coming out in mid June. Honestly I think it's lining up perfectly.

also dont set your sights too high on Diablo 3 you are liable to be disappointed. 

Torchlight 2 probably only has one month of content. 

D3, if it's anything like D2, will have tons of more hours of fun.

I dunno, chanses are that it becomes about random dungeons and grinding loot after a while as well. That can still be fun with your friends but you can't compare it to a MMO.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

People saying there is no, as in zero, overlap are completely wrong.  There are only two games I've been hyped for this past year and they are D3 and GW2.  Both are the types of game I foresee possibly devoting months too.

Having been burned out on MMOs with WOW and SWTOR, D3 wins my initial purchase and dedication.  GW2 will have to wait and will likely be purchased at a nice discount, assuming the reviews are good and I get to test it before hand.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by Shob...

And btw forbes predicts 5M sold copies for D3 in the first year: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/03/16/diablo-3-predicted-to-sell-5m-in-first-year/

hey, knock yourselves out

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• NandoSupesNandoSupes Member Posts: 61

exactly.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Meh i don't care much about D3 even though i loved D2. The thing is >90% of the time in Diablo 2 i spent item farming. When i tired of that i stopped playing it. The thing is, im still tired of item farming. I didn't stop playing diablo 2 because i tired of the graphics or dungeons but the game concept, i don't think diablo 3 will rekindle my fire for farming ... its just dead and gone. Maybe its a age thing, diablo 2 was many years ago and these kind of shallow games simply can't hold my interest anymore.

Only reason i even play MMOs anymore is because of the tight community you have on the servers with guilds, crafting, group pvp and RP. If i just want pixiliated blood seeping out of my monitor i play some tower defense game like "Orcs must die!" or something for the instant gratifaction and humor ...

I just don't have the time anymore to waste whole days hunting for that slightly better weapon, not with a 45hour/week job and vacations that are actually spent in a different country instead of infront a PC ... I would guess other D2 are in the same situation, its been a long time since the prequel and tastes and circumstances change.

Also i lost faith in blizzard being able to make the kind of games i like, that was wholly different 10-20 years ago for sure. They hit the mainstream well enough though i guess, so more power to them.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Why is this thread not locked?  There have been plenty of threads already that have to do with Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 competeing for a release date, and it's been established that they are 2 entirely different games thate aren't worrying about each other.

Can we drop this topic once and for all please?

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

Originally posted by slicknslim88

Why is this thread not locked?  There have been plenty of threads already that have to do with Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 competeing for a release date, and it's been established that they are 2 entirely different games thate aren't worrying about each other.

Totally disagree here, also good thread despite some fanboying/randomness.

It's not GW2 vs. D3 that matters, it's GW2 vs. Blizzard (D3+WOW) that matters.

GW2 is looking awesome and clearly aiming for the WOW user base, with many things that will attract the WOW crowd and can harm Blizzard seriously.

Blizzard is therefore pitching D3 as a B2P offering that directly fights against part of the the B2P GW2 crowd, aggressively starting pre orders with the release date announcement (before GW2 pre order btw) and offering free D3 to WOW 12 month subs. D3 is going to be a mega event with millions of sales, many of current WOW players that will take a break, many for whom 60€ is a lot of money and have to pick between one game or the other. At the very least, if a competitor has a great product that threatens your market and you cannot fight him head to head on that product (WOW vs. GW2), if you can use another product to harm him, why not do it?

I will play both and am happy to have a great gaming agenda ahead, if D3 pvp ends up being good I am happy, if not it's still going to be a good way of spending my time before GW2 comes out.

In a perfect world Blizz will actually release awesome D3 pvp expansion and we will end up with two great pvp platforms that are B2P: one more casual friendly + arenas, the other more traditional mmo + world pvp + everything else, really.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by 2D34DLY4U

GW2 is looking awesome and clearly aiming for the WOW user base, with many things that will attract the WOW crowd and can harm Blizzard seriously.

Blizzard is therefore pitching D3 as a B2P offering that directly fights against part of the the B2P GW2 crowd, aggressively starting pre orders with the release date announcement (before GW2 pre order btw) and offering free D3 to WOW 12 month subs. D3 is going to be a mega event with millions of sales, many of current WOW players that will take a break, many for whom 60€ is a lot of money and have to pick between one game or the other. At the very least, if a competitor has a great product that threatens your market and you cannot fight him head to head on that product (WOW vs. GW2), if you can use another product to harm him, why not do it?

I will play both and am happy to have a great gaming agenda ahead, if D3 pvp ends up being good I am happy, if not it's still going to be a good way of spending my time before GW2 comes out.

In a perfect world Blizz will actually release awesome D3 pvp expansion and we will end up with two great pvp platforms that are B2P: one more casual friendly + arenas, the other more traditional mmo + world pvp + everything else, really.

I know, these instanced raids GW2 will have are sure to attrack all the raid junkies from wow

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

GW2 and D3 are NOT in competition for sales, Different genres. no comparison between the games. those that think otherwise need to find something else to smoke.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by Fir3line

I know, these instanced raids GW2 will have are sure to attrack all the raid junkies from wow

Actually the raids in GW2 take place in the open world rather than inside an instance. Nice try on trying to slip that one through though.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

These two games are not in the same genre. If GW2 releases in June, D3 early adopters will already have had a month to burn out on the game. GW2 is B2P, so people can buy it and play it when ever they want, with out having to worry about a subscription fee, ever. So, why would a D3 player who also likes MMORPGs and has an interest in GW2 skip GW2 because D3 came out a month prior? Why won't people just own both games and play what ever they happen to feel like day to day?

You'd have to think that D3 is going to be the only game that most D3 players will buy or play for months to think it would have any real impact on GW2 sales.

For D3 fans that anticipate playing a fair amount of D3 after the first month, but also like a full MMORPG, GW2 is the perfect match, just because there are no subscription fees.

Not too long ago, WoW had 12 million subscribers. 1 Million took advantage of the free D3 1 year WoW sub deal? Well, that's a pretty small percentage of everyone who has ever played WoW, (and is thus a potential customer for other MMORPGs, including GW2). That was an incredible deal for anyone that anticipated playing WoW for even a few months and intended to buy D3 when it came out. It doesn't mean that all, or even most, of those people will only play WoW and D3 this year. The fact that even more people didn't take advantage of it is a bit of a surprise to me.

Final point, since GW2 has no subscription fee, it doesn't matter if some people wait a month, or two, or three, or more, to buy GW2. As long as they eventually buy it, they've provided the same revenue as someone who bought it on day one.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

how is GW2 aiming for the wow player base

WOW is a raid orientated game, raiding comes first and foremost, the entire game revolves around it.  Its also heavily based on grinding stuff over and over.  Actually wow is 2 games, this solo orientated leveling game, then this sit in cities queuing to grind shit game.

GW2 doesn't have raids, pays way more attention to PVP, encourages grouping more and has most of content out in the world rather than behind instances,

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

I plan on owning all 3 mentioned, GW2, D3 and T2. That said I am not everyone. I think there will be at least 2 months if not 3, 4 or even more between Diablo 3 and GW2. If it's anything like the first games open beta, that one went on for a good while before the released it. Anything 2 or more months away from D3 will be fine. The people playing these games will want something new to play after a couple months.

I do feel they are close enough in gameplay that they can be considered in the same genre. Only those with the smallest gaming funds will have to choose one or the other.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I really don't think D3 will do anything on anything, its just one of those million money grab games, I'm sorry Diablo fan i mean the Diablo serie was something from an other time, but that's my opinion you like it or not. They are tons around like this and their impact only impact other money grab games to enhance ... well to enhance their money grabbing abilities :p

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

Will Diablo 3 Delay Guild wars for many additional Months?

no

Will Diablo 3 even effect Guild Wars 2 at all?

no

this would be like saying something like Sim City online would delay Guild Wars 2 Launch...

The Draw for either game is totally different and effects the gaming community completely different which in turn would have no impact on Guild Wars 2.

Will Guild wars 2 effect Diablo 3? Probably more so then the other. I'd think that Blizzard's launch day would have been influenced by the possible Launch of GW 2 so that their sales are not hit as much compared to if they launched directly after GW 2.

the majority of MMORPG players have moved past the top down RPG Ultima online / Diablo game type and have moved into a more realistic environment mmorpg. I'll probably play D3 but its more out of nostalgia then it is out of OMG its game changing... in all honesty its dated and they should have made it an upgrade from WoW maybe World of Diablo instead of keeping it a top down game style. Either way another game to play while GW2 is in Maintenance instead of LoL.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Barkam.

GW2's single player (Personal Story) is far superior to that of D3's.  Also, you can play GW2 as a complete single player if you wish.  GW2's combat and replayability just overshadows D3.  I think if those single player people really understand GW2, they'll be all over GW2.  I guess for me, the most fun I had playing D2 was when I was playing with friends.

Lol, no-one ever played a Diablo game for the story.

But I still know many people who don't like multiplayer games and avoid any MMO but love massive random dungeons.

I had the same experience in the first Diablo game but we hang out in a mmo forum, we are probably more social than most single payer people.

I played diablo 1 and 2 for the story... what kind of generalized retard statement is that. Diablo had a greatstory, it also had a great skill system.

I cant speak on d3 story, i havent seen it,b ut i know for a fact their skill system is dumbed way the fuck down, because ive seen their skill tree and skill calculator. D3 will not be anywhere near as good as d2.

Diablo is not an MMORPG, its not even an MMOG. WHy is this even being disucssed or compared to any MMO? While we are at it, when dont we have doom and gloom statements for the next NFL madden game. Do you know why we dont compare madden 2013 to guild wars 2?

I just dont get why the fuck we compared diablo 3 to other MMOs, this is starcraft 2 all over again, oh shit star craft 2 is going to kill aion. Because suddenly if blizzard makes it, then of course it threatens all games regardless of genre.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

I suspect GW2 will be out around June/July and that D3 will have no impact on Anet's release decision-making process.  Be nice though if they released earlier. :)