Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else a bit shocked at the cost of this game

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by zimboy69

£49.99  digital edition

£64.99 digital delux edition

kinda feels like your buying a normal game with 2/3 months subs included

info from the link

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

i cant say how bad it is because i have no clue about the pricing in Europe and Oceania, but at least in America the price is the same as every sub based mmo at launch. And i have the feeling that (at least for the NA price) the game will have more bang for the buck than the existing paying mmos.

• anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108

Well, I certainly wouldn't drop that much "blind"....and kinda curious over whether the extra stuff for more money go into the "pay to win" category.....but if i get into a beta and am REALLY impressed, and if there is no store....well, then it would be worth it....but almost none of the new MMORPGs  are worth the money these days....

All the gaming companies seem to have lost their "soul"...no longer is it gamers programming for gamers...it's just a business now, and it shows in the lack of unbridled enthusiasm and creativity that was a major factor in these games.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Not shocked by the American price, but definitely shocked that they would act like SoE and shaft other countries. $60 US does not equal £50. Stop being douchbags with your feeble currency and pretending its worth more than it is.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by anwar

Well, I certainly wouldn't drop that much "blind"....and kinda curious over whether the extra stuff for more money go into the "pay to win" category.....

i saw the extra stuff for the different editions and there is not a single item that makes the game pay to win.

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by st4t1ck

The price reflects the 20% vat.  the prive in USD or $ is before tax, and the others is after.    the VAT tax defines if the publisher sells to someone with intent to use the company has to charge the vat, but if the company sells to a distrubutor they do not.  if you guys wait till the 10th of april and the stores in your country actualy get the pre purchase information im positive that it will reflect the price you see by 20%

Even dollar price with VAT comes of cheaper in euros than the 50£ or the 60€

Yep, I will be buying the US version and paying the small exchange fee rather than the rediculous UK price. If its anything like GW1 you will be able to choose your region regardless of where you buy the game.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by evilastro

Not shocked by the American price, but definitely shocked that they would act like SoE and shaft other countries. $60 US does not equal £50. Stop being douchbags with your feeble currency and pretending its worth more than it is.

Now is that really necessary?  Maybe if the Aussies could make good games you wouldn't have that issue.  Oh snap!

I'm just kidding of course.  I like the Aussies LOL.  But please don't drag an entire country's "feeble currency" into a pricing decision by one company...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

How can you be sure it's the American Anet setting the price, and not the Korean Publisher NCSoft setting the price? Do you think Bioware set the price for Mass Effect 3, or EA?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Here in the states the price seems reasonable, and to hear the fans tell about how amazing it is (already) I'm thankful that I'm not being asked to pay $79.99 a month for the standard edition.

And stand in line to boot.

Thank you sir, may I please have another!

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by zimboy69

£49.99  digital edition

£64.99 digital delux edition

kinda feels like your buying a normal game with 2/3 months subs included

info from the link

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

I'm not surprised about this, it's regular price (if looked in $ prices)... But I really don't like that we have to pay more in europe :(

I hope it changes...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by Brewsir

How can you be sure it's the American Anet setting the price, and not the Korean Publisher NCSoft setting the price? Do you think Bioware set the price for Mass Effect 3, or EA?

Well whoever keeps doing it needs to stop, its stupid, anyone smart just finds a work around anyway.

At the current exchange rate, they are trying to charge UK customers the equivalent of $80 for the regular version.

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

Its unfortunate that Prices are what they are in other countries, but I really doubt the Devs at ANET have much control over this stuff. Prices are set by publishers usually, as Publishers are the ones who have to be paid back for their innitial investments so if you want to blame someone blame NCSOFT.

Also depending on if the game is region locked, which GW1 was not, you could theoretically just use Paypal for an American copy and save a few bucks or pounds or euros.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I'll pretend its a poll...

No + vote = done.

ANet gave out the prices because it's "MSRP", they even explained why they are putting prices on CE for 150$ (and showed us the charr statue which is actually HUGE and totally justifies the extra $)... But i'm not sure if ANet did the currency shaft (I doubt it, it's probably NCSoft doing the shafts)...

Bioware is a completley different story, even if they wanted to set up the prices, someone in €A would probably fire their asses because they're greedy as hell...

Well whoever keeps doing it needs to stop, its stupid, anyone smart just finds a work around anyway.

At the current exchange rate, they are trying to charge UK customers the equivalent of $80 for the regular version.

I'm not trying to justify anything, I just think people shouldn't place blame unless and until the responsible party is known.

Originally posted by korent1991

ANet gave out the prices because it's "MSRP", they even explained why they are putting prices on CE for 150$ (and showed us the charr statue which is actually HUGE and totally justifies the extra $)... But i'm not sure if ANet did the currency shaft (I doubt it, it's probably NCSoft doing the shafts)...

Bioware is a completley different story, even if they wanted to set up the prices, someone in €A would probably fire their asses because they're greedy as hell...

Just because Anet "announced" the prices, doesn't mean Anet "set" the prices. Bioware is not a different story at all.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I don't see why everyones surprised it costs more on the official site.. it's normal by now for all games.

Plenty of places to pre-order it cheaper, for example:

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/guild-wars-2/10561411.html

The bonuses will be added shortly I suspect.. they always are.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

an mmo with no sub fee! yes Im surpriced!

Originally posted by korent1991

Just because Anet "announced" the prices, doesn't mean Anet "set" the prices. Bioware is not a different story at all.

Well... In the interview with Jon Peters he was asked why does the CE cost so much... He told "I can show you right now" shows the charr... "We're rewarding the fans with this" and they aren't trying to sell something what isn't worth it... So I think they set the prices but who knows who said europe should pay in € or GBP... Makes me sad no matter who did it tho...

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by st4t1ck

The price reflects the 20% vat.  the prive in USD or $ is before tax, and the others is after.    the VAT tax defines if the publisher sells to someone with intent to use the company has to charge the vat, but if the company sells to a distrubutor they do not.  if you guys wait till the 10th of april and the stores in your country actualy get the pre purchase information im positive that it will reflect the price you see by 20%

Even dollar price with VAT comes of cheaper in euros than the 50 or the 60€

withouth the VAT 20& it would cost you £41  witch is $64.99 (usd) 64.99 is the price after tax for the us.  The £50 tax included besides the VAT.  £41 + 20% is £49.99

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

MW3 was 60 euros. So I totally see this as a bargain.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by BizkitNL

MW3 was 60 euros. So I totally see this as a bargain.

and that wasnt the full game

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

SWTOR Standard Edition was what? £44.99 and Digital Deluxe Edition was £59.99? And that game comes with a subscription and I'm not going to elaborate on the quality of the game. So I doubt you'd be paying 2/3 months worh of subscription that would have run you another £18.99. It's an extra £5, granted, but nothing to be shocked about all things considered.

imageimage
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

The prices are standard. Mainstream single player games cost this much these days. This is an mmo, so its worth it, imo.

Also - no sub..

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by just1opinion

Apparently in the UK and France (or wherever the other person posting was from)  it is NOT the same price as other games.  I'm just curious....how much do games usually cost in the UK or anywhere using the euro?  Can someone answer that so this will make more sense?

In Sweden a new game cost 80 bucks (around 550 SEK).

Holy cow.  Well I guess I can see the problem then if it costs more than that for the standard edition, does it?  I would sure feel better if I knew the prices were more equal everywhere......I mean, I'm still gonna buy it, of course, but with just a tad bit of guilt now. :(

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Loke666

Apparently in the UK and France (or wherever the other person posting was from)  it is NOT the same price as other games.  I'm just curious....how much do games usually cost in the UK or anywhere using the euro?  Can someone answer that so this will make more sense?

In Sweden a new game cost 80 bucks (around 550 SEK).

Holy cow.  Well I guess I can see the problem then if it costs more than that for the standard edition, does it?  I would sure feel better if I knew the prices were more equal everywhere......I mean, I'm still gonna buy it, of course, but with just a tad bit of guilt now. :(

their VAT is higher than most places, around 30% to 50% depending on the product, they also make more money than most

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."