Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera: Does It Stand A Chance?

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

if korean gamer are any indication?nope!it wont fly very high!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by drbaltazar

What an odd sentence structure you've got going on there.

Well with TERA still averaging something like 140,000 people signing in per day in Korea, even with one of the worst launches for a game ever, thanks to NCsofts legal pressure and Blueholes stupidity, then you are incorrect.

It seems like the game will be quite successful here if Korea was any indication, which it isn't, but i'm just saiyan. :3

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Question?

Is Tera closer to SW:ToR/WoW or Aion/Lineage2?

If its WoW or SW:ToR please let me know so I can save my money.

Originally posted by Soandsoso

Question?

Aion/Lineage

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I'm not saying that Tera won't do bad or anything ... but the above statement is factual wrong.

If Korean gamer was any indication, Aion would be the most played game in the west and noone would care about SW:TOR.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Question?

Answer:  I think alot of people would agree that TERAs graphics and art-stlye, closely resemble that of AION / Lineage 2. Though I'd say the combat system of Wow, SW:ToR, Aion or Lineage 1 & 2 will never compare to TERA's combat system...IMO - TERAs combat system is refreshing and something you may want to experience: an Action MMO beyond "point and click" where skill, position, timing, and aim determine success in combat.

(Preference / Choice of play style.)

Also, part of the TERA team was behind the development of L1 and L2...Like many have stated, "TERA" is essentially "Lineage 3."  The best solution I can think and give is: To actually go into beta and give TERA a try yourself, don't take anyone elses word / opinion on the game but do form your own.

BETA KEY   -    No longer have keys for CBT3

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

This is what my impression of the game was. Thank-you for confirming.

Haven't got into any of the betas but I am sure I will be giving it a try once it goes live.

[Mod edit]
  • GeekieDaveGeekieDave Member Posts: 41

I just think that this game could have been done better persay? I mean, I've kinda enjoyed what I could play but the game just seems not the kind of game I would really pay a monthly fee for

Be sure to subscribe to Worlds Edge Gaming:
    www.youtube.com/worldsedgegaming

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by R.I.O.T

This is what my impression of the game was. Thank-you for confirming.

Haven't got into any of the betas but I am sure I will be giving it a try once it goes live.

[Mod edit]
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Xasapis

I'm not saying that Tera won't do bad or anything ... but the above statement is factual wrong.

If Korean gamer was any indication, Aion would be the most played game in the west and noone would care about SW:TOR.

It's not like just cause Koreans don't like something much means we will instantly love it either.

Originally posted by Sector13

It's not like just cause Koreans don't like something much means we will instantly love it either.

Sector, thank you for stating the obvious, especially when Xasapis said it in his post.

You try too hard to be negative.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by GeekieDave
    So, I have had this burning in my mind for quite some time and I've been really wanting to ask this to you guys here. I've preordered this game already and I'm ready to go for the official launch. But I've been thinking like hardcore lately about it but do you guys see this game having a chance compared to games like World Of Warcraft? Or even SWTOR? I've been contemplating making dungeon/raid guides for this game but the one thing holding me back is the lack of attention the videos will get. So what say you?

It's not going to get a million billion subscribers.

It's also not going to NEED them. No MMO does. WoW got lucky, but just becuase it's got 10 million people playing it doesn't mean all other mmo's fail if they don't reach that number. WoW is a freak accident.

Nearly every MMO out there can do just fine with ~50,000 to 100,000 subscribers. That will easily pay for basic content additions, maintenance, basic CS and bugfixing. If an MMO reaches 200-300k, it can be considered a success. If it gets to 500k or more, that's DAMN good no matter how you look at it. Think about it: 500k paying subscribers, paying $13 or so a month? That's $6.5 MILLION a month. You can pay for a lot of developers and hardware with that money.

Many people got stuck in the notion that WoW is the only succesful MMO. I direct your attention to this little developer called CCP: EVE never had more than ~400k subscribers, but they managed to develop 2 completely different games alongside it for some years now. The only reason they got into financial trouble is the legendary Icelandic indecisiveness and stubborness (long story). SoE keeping a LOT of mmo's alive and well despite most of them having less than 150k subscribers (EQ2 has had 150k or so for the last few years, yet it still sees continued development and lots of expansions).

Back to the topic at hand: Tera is not doing badly in Korea and Japan, despite what people think. If Tera in the west gets more than 50k subscribers or so they're all set - They don't need more to sustain the game as anything more than that is profit that goes into BH's coffers to develop more. If Tera manages to reach around 200-300k, it will be alive and kicking for quite some time to come. I don't expect it to beat out games like WoW or ToR: It's a niche game with a niche appeal, however i, expect that that is more than enough to make it a success.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

WoW basically became like a facebook game. Lot of people play it casually, most of WoW population are casual players now which is why many things they do tend to piss us off because we want old gamers' game. Where thing are challenging and take effort, where now in wow everything is doable and handed to you as long as you throw in the itme, like a facebook game compare to monster hunter. But it works because there much much much larger group of casual gamer than the gamer gamers.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Sector, thank you for stating the obvious, especially when Xasapis said it in his post.

Believe me, it's a lot easier then you think. Don't worry, you will see when people get over the new game smell of TERA.

Believe me, it's a lot easier then you think. Don't worry, you will see when people get over the new game smell of TERA.

Once again implying people will get over it and trying to be negative lol, it's just a thing with this site, everyone needs to be negative, the reason games fail lately is because no one goes into them looking to enjoy themselves, they go into the games looking to critisize them.

Once again implying people will get over it and trying to be negative lol, it's just a thing with this site, everyone needs to be negative, the reason games fail lately is because no one goes into them looking to enjoy themselves, they go into the games looking to critisize them.

I just do that on forums =X More fun to critisize post than games =X At least when you critisize posts you get some response =X

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

@Sector13

I swear you hang out on TERA forums like you have the game preordered and waiting for release but its clear that you dont want this game to succeed. I understand if the game is not for you but damn you troll these forums like its no tommorrow.

I was negative before it was cool *puts on hipster glasses*

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by GeekieDave

So, I have had this burning in my mind for quite some time and I've been really wanting to ask this to you guys here. I've preordered this game already and I'm ready to go for the official launch. But I've been thinking like hardcore lately about it but do you guys see this game having a chance compared to games like World Of Warcraft? Or even SWTOR? I've been contemplating making dungeon/raid guides for this game but the one thing holding me back is the lack of attention the videos will get. So what say you?

in my very own opinion Tera will be more successful in Asia than America / Europe. Of course that does not mean it will fail here in the west.

I will play it for sure because i love asian games more than western games specially rpgs (online and offline), but since it has monthly subscription i will play it on and off when i feel like paying a month (same thing with swtor, wow, rift, tsw)

Originally posted by Mannish

@Sector13

I swear you hang out on TERA forums like you have the game preordered and waiting for release but its clear that you dont want this game to succeed. I understand if the game is not for you but damn you troll these forums like its no tommorrow.

Right there is the statement that proves that you don't understand my view point and most likely never will. I've explained myself many times and yet people tend to ignore those posts, shows how much you really pay attention to what I say. You do nothing but just react to a negative comment without actually taking in why its being said and understanding the complaint. You chalk it up as some pointless troll comment instead of actually seeing that there is an issue and maybe .. just maybe, you know, should be fixed or adjusted. This is why I hate fans.

@Sector13

Right there is the statement that proves that you don't understand my view point and most likely never will. I've explained myself many times and yet people tend to ignore those posts, shows how much you really pay attention to what I say. You do nothing but just react to a negative comment without actually taking in why its being said and understanding the complaint. You chalk it up as some pointless troll comment instead of actually seeing that there is an issue and maybe .. just maybe, you know, should be fixed or adjusted. This is why I hate fans.

I like fans, keep you cool during the summer or just make your house freezing cold in the winter coz your got to vent the house =X

I do think the problem overall is pretty deep. This pretty much apply to the entire gaming community as a whole, not just mmorpg but all gamers. Pretty much what happend here is what happened to the gaming society overall. So game has always been constant target by other because it is the newest medium. So after so many attacks gamers get in to a reflexive defenese mode about games, so even if someone comes with a legit critical view, everyone go in full defend the game mode.

I guess similar thing occurs here in Tera, we get hit with a constant barrage of hate so the community is now reflexivly defense about the game in general. So if anyoen do bring up valid points, the community jumps to defend needed or not. Ofc this also has to do with how the points are brought up as well, phrasing and such but i own't go in to that. But ya i think thats pretty much state we are in.

ZZZZZZ should go back to sleep o.-

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Did you play the game? Try the closed beta tests before you buy. It plays like a F2P game, with you turning off your brain and grinding quests from the second you get control. Combat is action yeah, but it gets stale. Also the US and EU version is censored! They censored the Elins! Oh Gods! You don't pay $60 for that!

Originally posted by Betakodo

Did you play the game? Try the closed beta tests before you buy. It plays like a F2P game, with you turning off your brain and grinding quests from the second you get control. Combat is action yeah, but it gets stale. Also the US and EU version is censored! They censored the Elins! Oh Gods! You don't pay $60 for that!

Adding in the Elin comment made me ignore the credibility of this post, they covered up the child resembling Elins underwear and excessively skimpy outfits because of the negative implications it would have in a western market. Big deal.

Not like En Masse didn't state over a year ago Elin would be censored. Jesus hell, talk about kicking a dead horse.

Originally posted by Betakodo

Ummm have you play WoW, Rift, or SWTOR? Ya you turn your brain off even more and grind more quest -.- That was about the most absurd reason i seen to say a game is like a F2P one -.-

@Sector13

Sector no need to get so upset at Mannish, because honestly you come across as very cynical and the fact you don't dislike TERA is very subtle.

It also is not that hard for someone to have maybe missed those posts of you explaining yourself somewhere in this board, lastly, we don't appreciate all the negativity either you know. 

:-)