Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera: Does It Stand A Chance?

GeekieDaveGeekieDave Member Posts: 41

So, I have had this burning in my mind for quite some time and I've been really wanting to ask this to you guys here. I've preordered this game already and I'm ready to go for the official launch. But I've been thinking like hardcore lately about it but do you guys see this game having a chance compared to games like World Of Warcraft? Or even SWTOR? I've been contemplating making dungeon/raid guides for this game but the one thing holding me back is the lack of attention the videos will get. So what say you?

Be sure to subscribe to Worlds Edge Gaming:
www.youtube.com/worldsedgegaming

Comments

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by GeekieDave

So, I have had this burning in my mind for quite some time and I've been really wanting to ask this to you guys here. I've preordered this game already and I'm ready to go for the official launch. But I've been thinking like hardcore lately about it but do you guys see this game having a chance compared to games like World Of Warcraft? Or even SWTOR? I've been contemplating making dungeon/raid guides for this game but the one thing holding me back is the lack of attention the videos will get. So what say you?

It's a game thats going to build a niche market that most likely wont be all that large and end up something similar in the ways of Rift at best. Depends how much the loyal niche fanbase will hold onto EME and Frogster.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

does it stand a chance against wow and swtor in what aspect?

subscribers? NO

everything else is personal preference. the game is not better or worse than wow and swtor, its just different.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

If you want attention for making videos, i suggest go some where else. Tera is and will probably be a niche game. Simply due to the fact its Korean or asian art people will turn away from it. To me that stupid but hey personal prefernce. If you want to gain massive fame/follower from making videos you want to stick to more mainstream stuff. However if you want something fun, than try out Tera. Also just because something is not mainstream doesn't mean its not good, just means its not mainstream but still decent amount of people like them. Personally i tend to stay away from mainstream games, because they try to cater to everyone and usually end up pretty messy.

• GeekieDaveGeekieDave Member Posts: 41

I wasn't looking for attention or fame from it. I was just trying to get a general idea on what people thought of the game. I'm personally reconsidering on my preorder for the game. I've done 2 out of the 3 CBT's for the game and it has it's fun moments but I'm mainly going into this for the dungeon/raids. But after experiencing the only 2 they have, I'm just not happy with it. I think World Of Warcraft had more dungeons ready on release then what Tera is giving us. I know this is a Koren import but the least they could of done is maybe add a little more content?

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

yea its not gonna beat out the big dogs thats for sure. i would figure it would probably have at or below Aions level of success. its a decent game just not alot of people interested in it.

I wasn't looking for attention or fame from it. I was just trying to get a general idea on what people thought of the game. I'm personally reconsidering on my preorder for the game. I've done 2 out of the 3 CBT's for the game and it has it's fun moments but I'm mainly going into this for the dungeon/raids. But after experiencing the only 2 they have, I'm just not happy with it. I think World Of Warcraft had more dungeons ready on release then what Tera is giving us. I know this is a Koren import but the least they could of done is maybe add a little more content?

your assuming end game content on 2 dungeons with a 32 cap..... at the previous 58 cap or ktera there were 7 dungeon just for 58, 2 more was added for 60 cap raise. We are getting the 60 cap at launch with the lvl 58 dungeons moved up and down, so just between lvl 50-60 you got good possibly 7-10+ dungeons and at least 3-5 of them are hard mode. I don't know how many WoW launched with but thats a lot of dungeons.

Well what part of the game do you guys think they could of improved on? I've already stated my opinion on what the game could of done better but I wanted to hear everyone else's theory :)

Originally posted by rexzshadow

your assuming end game content on 2 dungeons with a 32 cap..... at the previous 58 cap or ktera there were 7 dungeon just for 58, 2 more was added for 60 cap raise. We are getting the 60 cap at launch with the lvl 58 dungeons moved up and down, so just between lvl 50-60 you got good possibly 7-10+ dungeons and at least 3-5 of them are hard mode. I don't know how many WoW launched with but thats a lot of dungeons.

Do you think that they will import ALL of the dungeons?

Do you think that they will import ALL of the dungeons?

YES... why the hell won't they?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

It's not in competition with wow or SWToR.

It will appear to players who liked more open world pvp and older style games. I doubt it will close down but it's not going to surpass WoW. And more people know and play SWToR than know about Tera.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Well I've seen some imports NOT include all the content from the original game. It's been one of the major scares that has had me second guessing the game. But if there is going to be alot of dungeons, raids, etc I am going to see if this game can keep my interest.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

And in that you've answered your question.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

It's not in competition with wow or SWToR.

It will appear to players who liked more open world pvp and older style games. I doubt it will close down but it's not going to surpass WoW. And more people know and play SWToR than know about Tera.

Ya, the games are completely different type of mmorpgs. Personally like this older style better, the newer style of WoW and swtor really doesn't suit my taste. Idk why just don't lol.

But remember, There is the Korean players who have been playing this a full year and they might agree that the low level dungeons aren't that great but as they progress in the game that it gets better. I wish I could talk to someone that has played the Korean version to get an idea on what they think of the end game content.

Well I've seen some imports NOT include all the content from the original game. It's been one of the major scares that has had me second guessing the game. But if there is going to be alot of dungeons, raids, etc I am going to see if this game can keep my interest.

Not happening here, this game oringally was suppose to launch globly, but due to money pressure or something they launch the game in korea a year early with a basically unfinished game. We are lucky because we got basically 1 year of beta testing from korea. Also the game will be launching at lvl 60 cap which KTera just got last week, so thats a good sign that we will be only 1-2 month behind or pretty much on equal footing. The Dev team didn't build this game just for Asia than decide to port it over here, from the moment the game was started been made they already plan to release it here. EME has been working with Blue Hole since the very start.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Will it be a success?  very likely.

Niche?  yes

FFXI was Niche, it sustained 600-500k subs for over 8 years before it fell down to 200-300.  Lots of games are successful and not "massive" in the way WoW is.

Will it come close to SWTOR?  Maybe?

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Niche?  yes

FFXI was Niche, it sustained 600-500k subs for over 8 years before it fell down to 200-300.  Lots of games are successful and not "massive" in the way WoW is.

I doubt it will get the initial sales that SWTOR did cause of peoples negative bias towards Korean games.

• XovasXovas Member Posts: 10

No, it doesn't. 

Most new games that are p2p nowadays do not stand a chance anyway.

But I will say that the combat system of SWTOR and Tera are pretty much better then what they have setup in WoW. That was one of the things I enjoyed from the amount of testing I was able to do with Tera and SWTOR. After playing Tera, I do have to admit that going back to Warcraft is a little difficult but I get back into that grove over time.

Originally posted by Sector13

Niche?  yes

I doubt it will get the initial sales that SWTOR did cause of peoples negative bias towards Korean games.

Well its hard to compare with SWTOR because will its star wars lol they already have millions of fans world wide so its easier to sell star war products period XD That and they have like what? 200m budget compare to Tera's 30-50m XD? And ya its star wars o.-

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Yes, it will be a success but like others have said it will be niche and thats not a bad thing.

I've been trying to decide between going back to Star Wars or trying out Tera. My computer can't really handle Star Wars at the moment. But I'd be more then willing to resub when I get a better computer for it. I'm also hoping that my computer can handle Tera but we will see!

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

I've been trying to decide between going back to Star Wars or trying out Tera. My computer can't really handle Star Wars at the moment. But I'd be more then willing to resub when I get a better computer for it. I'm also hoping that my computer can handle Tera but we will see!

Tera has/is going to have higher system req than the tortanic.

Originally posted by Sector13

Niche?  yes

Well its hard to compare with SWTOR because will its star wars lol they already have millions of fans world wide so its easier to sell star war products period XD That and they have like what? 200m budget compare to Tera's 30-50m XD? And ya its star wars o.-

Even so, is where sales are going to be compared to now. Same for TSW, and GW2.

Originally posted by Mannish

Yes, it will be a success but like others have said it will be niche and thats not a bad thing.

Personally i like niche better, because that means the game will focus the game toward the same type of user. When you get big games like WoW and swtor, everyone wants different thing and almost no matter what you do your going to anger a large group of people. so you end up doing everything halfway ish. Like WoW, many of the older WoW player miss the time when the dungeons and raids were challenging, Cata comes out and they where. Than you get a large group of people complaining its too hard so they nerf it, and now those player who enjoy the challenge get the shorter end of the stick.

where niche game like Tera, most people want harder content so if they release hard dungeons, chance of stuff getting nerfed is lower because majorty want it challenging. Up side of niche market, its more speicalized to the people who like it, which works perfectly for me. I mean 500k sub or 10m subs, to be honest on 1 server it hardly matters.