Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

Comments

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

factions? maybe they are going to put the Houses to fight each other, I smell some serious Hlaalu, Redoran and Telvanni warfare. If that's the case, I am joining Telvanni from day one.

• sweetdreamssweetdreams Member UncommonPosts: 190

Ugg... I've loved TES ever since Morrowind, but.... I'm not really looking forward to this. Hooray, another IP being screwed thanks to greed.....

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Magnetia

Mmmm part of the charm is being able to freely murder innocent people on the street. In MMO world that's griefing. In Skyrim it's called being a badass dragonborne.

I would love ES mmo if they can figure out the rules between players.

Shopping in Riften then all of a sudden an arrow appears in your skull and half your health is gone and the sniper is invisible.

Sneaking doesn't work so well vs real players XD

I think people that want to grief other players "just for fun" have some sort of mental pathology that needs to be studied.  PvP between consensuals is one thing, but griefing for kicks is another thing entirely.  I'm not sure which you were referring to in your post, but it made me think about this.  Perhaps you were referring to murdering NPCs only.  idk

If they're making an Elder Scrolls MMO it would ruin it (in my opinion) if it wasn't predominantly a sandbox, with no classes, loads of skills, the ability to build your own homes, and USEFUL crafting, along with everything that was so great about Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim (though I haven't played Skyrim yet).

I answered the poll with "maybe."

And when I say sandbox, I do NOT mean FFA PvP.  I want RP servers at least, possibly PvE, and definitely PvP for the PvP'ers.  I don't care if the PvP servers are FFA loot rules, actually.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by Magnetia

Mmmm part of the charm is being able to freely murder innocent people on the street. In MMO world that's griefing. In Skyrim it's called being a badass dragonborne.

I think people that want to grief other players "just for fun" have some sort of mental pathology that needs to be studied.  PvP between consensuals is one thing, but griefing for kicks is another thing entirely.  I'm not sure which you were referring to in your post, but it made me think about this.

And when I say sandbox, I do NOT mean FFA PvP.  I want RP servers at least, possibly PvE, and definitely PvP for the PvP'ers.  I don't care if the PvP servers are FFA loot rules, actually.

Some men don't want anything logical like money.

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

A MMORPG that plays like Morrowind that would be awesome. One man can dream

• RhenkarRhenkar Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by greyed-out

Originally posted by Morv

They would never use the Creation Engine for an MMO, as you pointed out it would never work... They would write a new one as they did for Skyrim.

In fact, they mentioned they will use the same engine for Skyrim on another game and then make a new one. Odds are they have already written the MMO Engine or are in the middle of it... We just don't know it yet!

But we do know; they chose the Hero Engine back in 2007: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16368

Ugh, I don't like the sound of that.

----------------------------
    "Hero of Time! Face me!"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    That hero engine thing, its just the way swtor is. It can hale lots of players on screen, bioware choose to male swtor THAT instanced

Re: the houses
    I don't think so its set during 2nd age so probably wolf queens forces / the rebels / aldemari dominion
  • Delekhan81Delekhan81 Member UncommonPosts: 1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-elder-scrolls-online-reveal-in-may-report

It is speculated that this means the unannounced game is set during the Second Era of Elder Scrolls lore, hundreds of years before any game in the fantasy role-playing series. It will, apparently, feature three playable factions, each represented by an animal: lion, dragon and bird of prey (either a phoenix or an eagle).

n 2007, Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax hired Mythic Entertainment co-founder Matt Firor to lead development of an MMO. His experience on Dark Ages of Camelot, a traditional fantasy game, closely fits the Elder Scrolls bill.

I smell a new dark age of camelot look alike with 3 factions i like!!!. Give RVR back!

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Delekhan81

I smell a new dark age of camelot look alike with 3 factions i like!!!. Give RVR back!

Your smell is off. I am sure you smelled the same with WAR? I could somewhat understand that smell considering it even the same company, but this is just one guy from that company.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Took 'em long enough...  Folks have been begging for them to make a sandbox mmo for years =P

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Otomox

Has everyone completely ignored Darkfall?  It's the closest literal translation of a game created somewhere in between Morrowind and Oblivion and thrust into an MMO enviornment.

It shares the same standard fantasy setting and stuff as well.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by uohaloran

Originally posted by Otomox

Has everyone completely ignored Darkfall?  It's the closest literal translation of a game created somewhere in between Morrowind and Oblivion into an MMO enviornment.

It shares the same standard fantasy setting and stuff as well.

Pretty much, PvPers are like locusts. They hype an upcoming game like its going to cure cancer getting into flame wars about nubs, players that need to L2P, and defend the game like their mommies baked it just for their birthday.

Then after 3 to 6 months of playing it, cancel the sub, jump on the forums and rage quit and start the cycle all over again on the next cancer curing, baked by mommy for their birthday, end all, be all game coming up.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I have no faith at all in bethesda to create a quality MMO.  Especially after seeing the dung that two great companies,Blizzard and Bioware, have done with their MMOs.  Superficial 'AAA' themepark hogwash is all I expect.

But this is stil big news and will be exciting to see what happens.  :-)  Just the fact that they are going with 3 factions does point to something significant...  The fact is, DAOC and Planetside have some of the best RvR/PvP and it is thanks to their 3 faction warfare.  So that does flag it as something to watch.  Also, this is Besthesda, and they are a company that makes good games so who knows, this might be the AAA to break the mold (assuming archeage cannot when its brought to the US, but fingers crossed for that too!!)

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

I dont get it.

Who announces that they are going to announce something?

They really think they're that important?

Hopefully their ego's dont get the better of them, and they stay humble...

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I will say, even if they keep everything as similar as they can, for it to have even remotely the same adventurer feeling it is going to have to be either big, or have a much smaller number of players per server or both.

And when I say big, I mean big. Daggerfall big, maybe. Huge. Massive. Or you will run into other adventurers all the time and it will just suck.

And by the same token, if there are thousands of people on the same server doing stuff, that's not going to be that great either, because there can't be so many simultaneous great adventurers, even if they go the proper route and make each person just another pre-arrow adventurer instead of the chosen one or some ridiculously implausible badass.

It would be one of the hardest things to pull off well, but, bugs notwithstanding, if anyone can do it, Bethesda can.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by lectrocuda
    I dont get it.

Who announces that they are going to announce something?

They really think they're that important?
    Hopefully their ego's dont get the better of them, and they stay humble...

ZeniMax, parent company of Bethesda games, hired some pretty heafty talent from the MMO field several years ago. That started this mess.
    Then they kept hiring and advertising looking for talent in the field and a related "mmorpg" project. Sometimes the words "fantasy mmorpg" were used.

Then they sued Interplay to stop the production of their Fallout MMO; citing (successfully so) that they on the license and possibly had plans for a MMORPG.

The fact that it's confirmed to more than likely possibly maybe be a game related to The Elder Scrolls is pretty recent super assumption that seems to stick more so than say;

Doom online, and that's something they could do.
    Brink online, another thing they could do.
    Fallout online, probably the other most likely candidate.

OR even a new IP for the mmorpg market.

The most far out rumor I've heard from within the industry (like that crap is ever reliable) is Arx Fatalis online. That basically being a 3D Ultima Online.
    Considering the history and the license swapping that's gone on there.

If the Might & Magic IP wanted to move into the ZeniMax Online sphere they'd probably be the first company able to handle that as well.

So, it's super speculation at the moment based on a whole lot of ass-umption.

But by god I hope it's TESO.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

Hmm dragon for human races, eagle for elve races and lion for khajit/argonian/orcs...

Cool the game will be normal faction vs normal faction vs FURRY faction... I cant wait to see the yiffing chat in the main leveling areas of the lion faction

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Well thats the one of best news i heard in last months. First we got MechWarrior online and now Elder. If is that true it will shake mmo world.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Don't get to excited yet it's just a rumor for now and in May we will see if this rumor holds any water.

If the rumors are true, then we only know that it will have three factions. We can't know if this hypothetical game will be a flop or a revolution to the MMO genre.

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

I would actually prefer a multiplayer/coop version to a full blown mmo. Mostly due to all the compromises that follows a mmo. The world and 'realism' will simply be worse.

When in doubt, troll.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Artean

I would actually prefer a multiplayer/coop version to a full blown mmo. Mostly due to all the compromises that follows a mmo. The world and 'realism' will simply be worse.

I can see the advantage in both games. I do however had some bad experiences with Elder scrolls and multiplayer, Battlespire sucked big time and I hope whatever they make will be better.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Artean

I can see the advantage in both games. I do however had some bad experiences with Elder scrolls and multiplayer, Battlespire sucked big time and I hope whatever they make will be better.

That was a billion years ago, was on DOS son... On DOS, let it go lol. In 2012 with games like swtor there's enough to shit on. I can say I only see the advantage of a RPG / Co-OP, MMO's are just eatin dicks left and right.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

So if the information on The Elder Scrolls online is true, what classes would you like to see?

Personally I think they will have some classes like these :

Warrior (wears heavy armor and uses melee weaponry)

Archer (Light armor + bows and maybe crossbows, dual swords for melee)

Wizard (Destruction spells for DPS and Healing spells)

Conjurer (With an option to focus on necromancy or bringing Daedra from the planes of Oblivion. These two could also be seperate classes)

Thief/Assasin (Uses Light armor and Daggers for melee and bow for ranged, can sneak)

and last but not least

Dovahkiin (A hero class that shouts it's fows into submission. Yeah just kidding :P)

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Originally posted by Ganathar

So if the information on The Elder Scrolls online is true, what classes would you like to see?

Conjurer (With an option to focus on necromancy or bringing Daedra from the planes of Oblivion. These two could also be seperate classes)

Thief/Assasin (Uses Light armor and Daggers for melee and bow for ranged, can sneak)

and last but not least

Dovahkiin (A hero class that shouts it's fows into submission. Yeah just kidding :P)

Please, please no. Lets not encourage another class based system?

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by Ganathar

and last but not least

That would be going backwards instead of forward: it will probably be a classless system like Skyrim. That is what I would prefer anyway.

This discussion has been closed.