Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

Comments

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

I am unsure how to respond.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Worstluck

Originally posted by spookydom

Two minds about this gang and I won't lie about it. My geek side is jumping up and down and sharpening my axe and my jaded mmo cynic side is hiding under my bed and stocking up on canned goods and bottled water. Let's see what happens.

Yes same here.  I am happy, because I would like to play an Elder Scrolls MMO.  BUT at the same time I am just a little shocked and disappointed.  I wonder if this means there will be no more single player ES games?  That's would be a shame.  They have always been standby for great single player RPGS.  I like that they are single players, I don't want xXleGolAsXx ruining my little Elder Scrolls world :(

I always thought people with xxx in their avatar name was retarded.

• KrayfishKrayfish Member UncommonPosts: 147

Originally posted by Morv

I am unsure how to respond.

Me too, kinda happy, kinda worried, kinda confused, kinda maybe, maybe kinda..

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Magnetia

Mmmm part of the charm is being able to freely murder innocent people on the street. In MMO world that's griefing. In Skyrim it's called being a badass dragonborne.

I would love ES mmo if they can figure out the rules between players.

Shopping in Riften then all of a sudden an arrow appears in your skull and half your health is gone and the sniper is invisible.

Sneaking doesn't work so well vs real players XD

MMOs make a genra worse in my opinion; they haven't done justice for any IP outside of Warcraft; but, even still Warcraft as an RTS is dead, you'll never see that again.  If the ES became an MMO, it would most certainly destroy the ES series.  The thing that seperates single player RPG's from MMOs is that the entire world revolves around the actions and choices of the player, in an MMO environment, absolutely nothing you do has any effect on the world.  So, realistically I don't see how the ES world, that revolves around freedom and immersion could be hammered down into a themepark MMO where your character is just some random no name that no NPC has ever heard of.  If this ever did happen, the game itself would be absolutely nothing like the rest of the games in the series and thus, unappealing to anyone who was drawn to it in the past.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Mephster

Please let it be a sandbox mmo. Tired of all the theme parks!

Sandbox MMOs don't sell well in the US; so, it would more than likely be a cheezy themepark ride.

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Fuggly

INTERNET HIGH FIVE!!!!

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Entropy14

Damn you, you posted this like 2 minutes before I did :-p damn me for typing so slow.

har har image Almost fell out of my chair when reading the news, first one with which was not totally speculation. I just hope Bethesda don't jinx it with a standard themepark thing image We really need some high quality, well funded sandbox, or at least sandbox-themepark mix. Here's to hoping.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105

Originally posted by Horusra

Mythic...they could not screw up Warhammer...it will be epic....image...

I want more info before I jizz my pants.

Agree'd. What I would like to launch and what would probably launch are on each side of the spectrum....

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Much love for bethesda to try there hand in the mmo scene, but Im not gonna even watch this train wreck.

wake me up when people start posting "I told you so"  threads.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Intresting, but also *shiver*  ..the most buggy game maker of all times is going to make a MMO based on the bugged game IP  of all times and a mmo aint got a toolset to let the comunity fix it..  not a single Elderscrols game was ever bug free ,every single one has bin "fixed" by the comunity well besites the few else Elderscrolls games we hated (and yes there were even a few realy bad ones back in the day) 

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I am putting my money on the following statement :

"If you thought SWTOR was disappointing, then your mind will not be able to comprehend how badly this [Elder Scrolls Online] game will end up being when you finally test it.  It will most likely cause you to black out and scream while dreaming of raging morlocks"

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

I'll be REALLY interested to hear how they'll go about implementing their skill system in a MMO format. Assuming there will be PvP, as every MMO has some form of PvP, there will need to be some preventative measure to prevent people from simplying using a mule or friend to "bang" on for skill-ups. Bethesda softworks/ZeniMax are both incredibly smart companies, so I'm sure they'll have something brilliant up their sleeves. Either way, I'm super stoked about this announcement.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Technically, its not Bethesda who is developing the game, its Zenimax Online Studios, and they have been at it four and a half years already.  They are also very well funded, and Matt Firor is heading up the project, which is probably why there are going to be three factions if the rumors are correct.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

And people bitch about the bugs in the singleplayer versions. Can't wait to see the tears and hear the whines when there's no way for modders to fix the mmo.

I'll pass, thanks.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• dashivaathandashivaathan Member UncommonPosts: 23

No thanks.  Player mods and fixes are what keep me playing Skyrim because I have the ability to play the way I want.  Multiplayer and associated nerfs holds no interest for me.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Dear Besthesda,

I am one of your MANY fans strictly because of TES.  If you so much as change a single element of what makes TES such a great series of games just to cater towards the mass market of MMORPG player "Retards" you will have lost a long time fan.  Those features include...

Important

- FPS style combat

- Sandbox by DESIGN

- Open world

- Skill system instead of basic "Levels"

- Interactive world (NPCs)

Not so much but would like to see

- Every item is able to be picked up like in the SP games

If you so much as even consider making this MMO a themepark you may as well just stop now.  This world needs a good Sandbox MMO with FFA PvP.  We should be able to kill anyone any where... however there should also be a system in place so that it doesn't become a slaughter.  Every world has laws and a force to maintain said laws.

TES + MMO = Best MMORPG I could ever ask for... but only IF in the transition TES doesn't stop being itself at heart.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

They can't do a Elder Scrolls MMO. Bethesda needs to stop now and stick to single player RPGs. No MMO will every be made to meet the level of game play of any Elder Scrolls game.

This is just wrong!

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

If it's even close to Skyrim, I'll be playing this for a long time.  If they leave in the choose-your-skills make-your-own-class, I'll be very pleased.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

My brother has a good friend that works at Bethesda...I'll see if I can squeeze anything out of him about this. =)

• PancakeEffctPancakeEffct Member Posts: 42

Better be in FPV otherwise I don't give a shit. 

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

MMORPG.com pessimism factor: OVER 9000!!!!

What if: they took so long making it because they wanted to create something unlike anything attempted before, the company has a reputation for pushing the envelope in terms of what is going on in the game, buggy yes, but that's hardly going to be new for an MMO anyway, & with continued development it will be interesting how they move the game forward as the game gets live patches, thing with MMO's is they tend to improve with age if they have a decent enough population to make money.

I'm hopeful it won't be "just" another themepark, but something unto itself, at the very least they will be building a "world" for the game, that's always been their strongest card in the deck.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Like we need another Fantasy MMO.  Especially from a another company known for making Single Player RPGs.  Tehy all chase the dollar signs and you can count on a subscription.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Bainwalker

Dear Besthesda,

Important

- FPS style combat

if this happens they better add full gamepad support

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , as long as the soldiers got protection around their knees , then everything should be ok at launch.  Last thing we need is a chat window filled with arrows to the knees. :P

This discussion has been closed.