Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BAldur's Gate Brothers we have an anouncement SOON!!!

124»

Comments

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I honestly don't see the point to this.  With Tutu, widescreen mod, and various communites around BG has tons of extra stuff to do and still looks okay.  Whats the point of this, 'enhanced' edition? There's only so much the Infinity Engine can do, so I doubt it'll look much better.

They may be adding extra content, but lots of people have already done that, for free.  Looks like a cash grab on my all time favorite game, shame really...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Sounds to me like they are just going to be releasing a version comprised of all the most popular mods, or something similar to them. With those mods there is probably no need for this version, unless they get full voiceover in there or something, which I highly doubt. Graphics wise an update from the original isn't even needed, the whole feel of the game would be at risk. If they added things like equipment compare it would be good, but not really required.

I predict a possible butchering of a classic here in the eyes of those who played it... but bringing a classic to todays audience isn't always a bad thing. I've played the game in the past though, and thats where it's going to stay for me.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kabaal

Whatever the announcement is i'm not sure it's good.... It's Atari (spit) who are doing it.

It's seems like a remake of the first 2 games with better graphics. Not even atari should be able to botch that up.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

so same game with enhanced graphics, yippee

yawn if I want to play a circa 1998 game I would just load the original or Icewind Dale which was much better imo

whats next Wizardry 1 Enhanced, followed by Bards Tale 1 enhanced, ok I would actually play those

While Icewind dale had the same engine it were nowhere near the BG games or even Torment..

Bards tale was a great game at Amiga but I don't think it would be possible to update it.

Still, if they want to update a RP classics they should have picked Neverwinter nights ( or possibly Eye of the beholder).

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

bG with preetier hd 2d graphics? Omg I'm sold =P

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Was planning on playing the series again, but with the update...ill hold off. Only Summer 2012? not bad!

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

On the PC at least these Enhanced Editions will also almost certainly require playing through the Beamdog client ... it's a great way to get their client on more machines.  

Even if this ultimately does nothing more than what Tutu and BGT currently do except update the UI (given that somebody will almost certainly turn the new added content into a Tutu/BGT mod eventually anyway), thousands of people will be thrilled to fork over $20-30 and call this the greatest thing since the "original" Baldur's Gate.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Myrdynn

so same game with enhanced graphics, yippee

yawn if I want to play a circa 1998 game I would just load the original or Icewind Dale which was much better imo

whats next Wizardry 1 Enhanced, followed by Bards Tale 1 enhanced, ok I would actually play those

While Icewind dale had the same engine it were nowhere near the BG games or even Torment..

Bards tale was a great game at Amiga but I don't think it would be possible to update it.

Still, if they want to update a RP classics they should have picked Neverwinter nights ( or possibly Eye of the beholder).

To tell u the truth I finished ice wind dale 2 on a ship when i was apprentice.Prety good game as well.

What i liked about ice wind dale series was that i was able to craft 6 or more charcaters i dont remember axactly.

I apreciate the baldures gate enhanced editions Although i ll play them after the summer.I want my summer to be fun not burn.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Hehe, the website did give me that retro feel.

Anyway, I'm undewhelmed as well.  I would have been more interested if they would have said they were on the original team and are developing BG 3.

As it is I can get Baldur's Gate, BG2, and the Icewind Dale series on Good Old Games for $10 each.  They come with tons of extras (like the xpacs and more) and are all DRM free.

If you watch they have sales often.  I got PS:Torment and NWN: Diamond both for $10 while they had a deal running.

Reskins are okay, but not why I play the game.

Actually several stores are now stocking a new collection of the BGs, IWDs, and Planescape together in one package for like 20 bucks(might of been 30). The NWN and NWN2 collection is 30 for sure.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Certainly curious about what enhanced edition is going to end up meaning.  Will it just be a graphics update or are they going to adjust the game itself to suit 'the modern gamer'?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Damn I would love an enhanced edition which combines BG1 and BG2 into one game and improves the graphics :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Well.. they do have a much beter engine already ( the one used in TOEE ).

Just hope they release this without bugs this time.. and at least support the game after release.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    A virtual unknown working to "enhance" one of the best IP's of all time? Just add water and short dev cycle and BAM! Recipe for disaster....

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

A virtual unknown working to "enhance" one of the best IP's of all time? Just add water and short dev cycle and BAM! Recipe for disaster....

If they just fix up the graphics there shouldn't be a problem. BG could use a new engine that actually runs well on a modern computer and look prettier.

If they on the other hand "improve" the story and the combat mechanics it will be a disaster.

Originally posted by reignjuste

To tell u the truth I finished ice wind dale 2 on a ship when i was apprentice.Prety good game as well.

What i liked about ice wind dale series was that i was able to craft 6 or more charcaters i dont remember axactly.

I apreciate the baldures gate enhanced editions Although i ll play them after the summer.I want my summer to be fun not burn.

The seconbd game was a bit better but the story of both games were rather bad. Sure, they looked OK and the mechanics were fine but you played the BG games for the story, and that you made the team was actually bad, i loved the NPCs in the BG games, unlike the ones in DA 1 & 2.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

If they just fix up the graphics there shouldn't be a problem. BG could use a new engine that actually runs well on a modern computer and look prettier.

If they on the other hand "improve" the story and the combat mechanics it will be a disaster.

In the PC gamer link I got from facebook, thr devs talked about how they are excited to add their own touch to the game. Their reveal splash screen already shows a lack of understanding... Dev1: "What will appeal to fans of a demonic, M-rated RPG with blood and dismemberment abound?" Dev2: " I know! A splash screen featuring kiebler fucking elves!" All Devs: "Brilliant! So say us all!!!"

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

In the PC gamer link I got from facebook, thr devs talked about how they are excited to add their own touch to the game. Their reveal splash screen already shows a lack of understanding... Dev1: "What will appeal to fans of a demonic, M-rated RPG with blood and dismemberment abound?" Dev2: " I know! A splash screen featuring kiebler fucking elves!" All Devs: "Brilliant! So say us all!!!"

ROFL!

Too damn true.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

To quote the J Geils Band.....

"

A part of me has just been ripped

The pages from my mind are stripped

Oh no, I can't deny it

Oh yea, I guess I gotta buy it! "

I bought all the Infiniity Engine stuff this past holiday thru GOG for 5 bucks each. I had bought all of them a few yrs back from gogamer.com, before they went under,  but the discs are somewhere around the house. Still havent completely unpacked, and I moved into this house over 2 yrs ago. DOH

With this set of BGs, I think it will be 4 times now that I have bought the set over the yrs. heh

As I mentioned in another thread...or perhaps this one....you can get collections of the Infinity Engine games at stores like Gamestop. BG 1/2 w expansions, Planescape, and IWD 1/2 for either 20 or 30 bucks. NWN1 w/ expansions, plus NWN2 w/expansions for 30.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Was super excited until I read Atari.... and then had a stroke.

Daggerfalls anyone?

Went for super dupper excitement to logning dread.

Any bets on that they it'll be rushed and be a complete piece of crap to the point of unplayability due to bugs just like all previous products by Atari?

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Originally posted by Gorilla

Originally posted by DAS1337

Oh it's Atari?  Great.. I'd rather them /RickRoll me..

Better than EA.

EA at least makes quality fun games :)

Quality is not something I'd associate with Atari.

• ishapishap Member Posts: 6

I am pretty excited by this announcement, even if it is just an HD remake that runs on modern computers. I loved both of the Baldur's Gate games - they were quite excellent.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Originally posted by VirgoThree

Originally posted by Gorilla

Originally posted by DAS1337

Oh it's Atari?  Great.. I'd rather them /RickRoll me..

Better than EA.

EA at least makes quality fun games :)

Quality is not something I'd associate with Atari.

It is not something I would associate with EA either.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

gamespy did an article

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/1220929p1.html

The Enhanced Editions, however, are being billed as "more than mere remakes." So -- beyond visuals that won't send modern gamers fleeing for their snazzy CryEngines that apparently run on electric power instead of hamsters -- what's new?

"We've been adding side stories, stories to tie things together, unfinished stories," Tofer said. "As far as new types of abilities, we have more announcements coming."